Forum Topic

Ask Sir Tony - an Electronics/Electrical Q & A thread

• Kung may mga tanong tayo regarding PSU\'s, UPS, at iba pang electicity related sa mga PC naten, tanong natin kay Sir Tony aka \"PSU master\" and he will answer our queries.

post lang kayo, wag mahiyang magtanong :)

sabi ni sir tony, welcome din ang iba na sumagot.
  • strictly puro tungkol sa Power Giving Devices lng po ba? hehehehe....
  • i recieve lots of phone calls and emails, this thread may help consolidate those items....

i can answer your questions about electronics in general and about psu\'s in particular...

• whats the idea behind switching power supply?
  • ask ko lang sir tony kung saan po nakakbili ng lan-lon ba yun na psu?? balita ko po eh maganda daw itong psu na i-mod compared sa stock psu na bundle sa mga case??? and may balak akong pa mod yung psu ko na stock 300 watts - 400 watts kaya pa ba hanggang 450watts??

thanks!
  • sir tony.. ask ko sa generic P.Supply sa +12v - 12Amp. pwede ba maging +12v - 30Amp. And hanggng ilang watts mamodify ang generic na 300watts.
  • if you were to become an animal what would it would be and why? hehehehe... pang-miss universe.. joke lng po.. peaceout...

seriously, nagmo-mod po ba kau ng PSU physically? ung tipong papalitan ng acryllic ung buong casing nung PSU.... plus, can u make a 300W to 475W of raw power?
  • nice idea parang itanong ke ernie baron =)
  • whats the idea behind switching power supply?

efficiency, compact size are main factors behind these smps, you can not get the same level of performace with \"linear\" power supplies....

lanlons are one of the best deals that ever happened to TPC, maybe raimond and SCSIme can bring them back...
  • sir last question.. are you willing to mod my 300 watts psu to 450watts?? or hanggang 400 watts lang po talaga?

tnx
  • Xtian46,
    400 watts is the limit for generics,

BertKoops,
    25amps is more realistic, then you have no output for the 5 and 3.3volt rail..

Drake_
    sorry i do not do mods that are meant to please the eyes....

• So Sir tony Pa2modify ko po 300Generic. may be this week na..

300 - 400 or greater
    +12v,12Amp - +12v.25Amp no output +5v +3v
    (Pano po yun.. Need ko po kc mataas ang Amp.sa +12v pero dpat may output sa 5V and 3V din.. Mga ilang Amp. ba kaya.?)
    Single Fan to Dual Fan

How much PO!

***** edited by bertkoops on May 08 2004 09:17 PM
  • bertkoops,
    as per intel atx psu design design guides, there is a power sharing scheme, so we can not just say increase the 12volts to our liking...
  • @sir tony

na PM ko na ito dati pero nde kita natawagan.

i have a stand-alone dvd player lying around d2 na bumigay yung power supply. the question is, pwede bang i-mod yung AT psu para replacement dun sa nasira na p-supply ng player... and if so, how much would you charge for it kung ako yung magp-provide ng PSU? tnx! :)
  • @sir tony,

sa battery na 700mA-hr na 1.5V, ilang ang max ampere na kaya nyang ibigay?
  • joelreg,
    i\'d choose the one used in the office....

phantom25,
    i can not see why not....tawagan mop na lang ako, i am ashamed to disscuss money matters in this thread....

napalm_death,
    depends on the load, the load determines the maximum current draw, what
    the specs say is that the battery will support a max 700ma draw for 60 minutes, no more, but could be less than that....

***** edited by tony on May 09 2004 09:53 AM

***** edited by tony on May 09 2004 10:10 AM
  • Parang snappy answers to stupid questions ito ah?

wag namang ganyan...this thread is for those who want to learn, if you are asking just to for the sake of it , then let us not waste each other\'s time...

***** edited by tony on May 09 2004 10:17 AM
  • Matanong kita, ano ba dis advantage ng Switching sa linear?

you sound like a policeman, are you?
  • please be humble semiconductor, di lahat ng tao tulad mo, magaling!!!
  • @semiconductor

if you don\'t have anything better to say, stay out of this. if you think the questions here are very \"lame\" for you, do not answer....besides, nobody asked you to, if you do not want to.

naalala ko tuloy yung tanong ni Hesukristo nung nasa templo siya ng mga hudyo....mayroon kasing sapak ng sapak sa kanya, kahit wala namang ginagawa si Hesukristo, kahit nakatali na ang mga kamay nito:

\"Why do you keep on hitting me? What have I done to you, that you keep on hitting me?\"
  • @tony

ano ba ang linear power supply? ano ba ang switching power supply?
  • oy. oy. oy! down boys....
  • sir tony if you can compile the essential info that you can develop this into an article, i\'ll be more than glad to make it the first article for the do-it-yourself or any section where it would be more appropriate.
  • sir tony, yung 235 watts na generic pwede pa ba ipa-modify? hanggang ilang watts ang kaya?
  • This is a nice, informative and helful thread that deserves appreciation...
    Thankz master tony!
  • I created this thread to be informative and to save Sir TOny the precious time of repeating answers to repetitive questions on the phone.

Sana, let\'s be cool and if we find that the question is stupid, let\'s just shut up.

After all, we are all geniuses and Ignorants, it just depends on the subject matter.
  • semiconductor,
    sorry if i snapped at you, but we here at TPC give out info when we have them, we will never ask any member to google, if we know the answer....

joelreg,
    the monitors used at gaming shops most likely will have the phospor coatings nearly burned out, more than that used for the office, unless of course, the one used at the office ran 24/7....

just_matthew,
    the 235watt psu is just too thin to be of any good for modding, nowadays, even 300watters are also turning out to be thin, i had one modded , yet can not boot up a p3 1gig proc on an abit mobo...but a modded 250 watter did the job very well...

SCSIme,

a linear psu as opposed to a switcher, is one that uses conventional transformers, rectifiers and capacitors, also regulators that operate off the mains power, therefore these psu\'s tend to be bulky and less efficient than a switcher...the power traffo alone. the linear psu will have one weighing in at sbout 10kg, whereas for the switcher will have the mains chopper at about 0.5kg....

***** edited by tony on May 10 2004 04:57 AM
  • sir tony, how can we safely test the maximum possible load limit of a certain psu, for example, a 350w hec, how far can it go w/o crapping out, but still maintaining stable lines... is that possible?
  • sir tony san ba makikita ung shop nyo, at magkano kung papataasan ko ung wattage, etc. nung generic 300w na psu ko? salamat po!
  • winky,
    it is possible to test limits of your psu using a test bank composed of high wattage resistors, normally, a drop in voltage of about 5% is the limit...note however that in these tests you can fry your psu so caustion is ever advised...

antonio&,
    sorry i don\'t discuss money matters here, you can post in my other thread..