Forum Topic

IBM Thinkpad users thread

• Be careful of E14 Gen 2 AMD Thinkpads. We experienced 4 DOA. Thoroughly test laptops on the first 7 days and keep the box.
  • Any recommended trusted shop where theycan repair/replace a Yoga 260 hinge? PM if not allowed in the forum (sorry just in case). Kindly PM and thanks in advance.
  • what are the upgrades for the T430 webcam ?
  • @amusing

None that I know of.
  • @amusing, we use an external USB logitech webcam. Sobrang labo kasi talaga yung built-in ng T430.
  • Hello, anyone here who can recommend someone or a shop that can install an IPS display for the x230?
  • @popoy_23
    IPS LCD is a drop-in replacement and shouldn't be too difficult, except if you're talking about a Full HD mod kit which requires soldering.
  • @awakeruze
    yeah just trying to be careful this time I guess not sure what I did to mess it up looking for an ordinary IPS

is it the same though for x220 should one decide to go IPS or FHD? One's a drop-in replacement and the other requires fhd mod kit?

• is it the same though for x220 should one decide to go IPS or FHD? One's a drop-in replacement and the other requires fhd mod kit?

Pretty much yes.

A more detailed (and technical) explanation for the FHD mod:

The factory 12.5" LCD options for the X220 and X230 have a resolution of 1366x768 and have a single-channel LVDS connection, and the laptops themselves are equipped with a single-channel transmitter to match. This is a problem, because single-link LVDS cannot move pixel data fast enough to properly drive a Full HD (1920 x 1080) screen; the maximum is 1440x900.

The Thinkpad X240's IPS Full HD screen uses an eDP (embedded Displayport) connection.

The solution then, is to route the Displayport signals on the X220/230's docking connector and use it to drive the X240's FHD LCD. This can be done by fabricating a small circuit board that goes on top of the laptop's system board, directly over the docking connector. The circuit board needs to be soldered to certain pins in the docking connector.

Sample installation pics:

System board before installation. The exposed area is the docking connector and its surroundings:

FHD adapter kit soldered to the docking connector:

The lid also needs to be slightly modified in order to fit the X240 (or similar) LCD panel:

• Amazing. Thank you sir @awakeruze. May I know what thinkpad you're using right now?
  • @popoy_23

I'm currently using a second-hand X220 with USB 3.0 and its stock 1366x768 IPS display.

I didn't do the FHD mod because 1920x1080 on such a small screen is too much for my poor eyes-- currently using a 22" 1920x1200 Eizo monitor with my X220.