Forum Topic

IBM Thinkpad users thread

• 3k is a believable price.
  • Thank you I thought he was scamming me since one of his buddies said its just around 2k
  • Planning to buy x220 i7 variant (dual core). is it possible to upgrade the CPU into an i7 that is quad core? Really miss the feel of thinkpad
  • ^ if you have the skills and equipment then yes!
  • @ryanrudolf
    no skills and equipment... would like to ask if someone knows someone around the Philippines (LUZON) that can do that for me if ever I buy a 2nd hand x220 hahahahah
  • Hi guys how much would a keyboard replacement tor e570 would cost? Accidentally spilled sprite the mobi was fixed costs around 4k and now they said the keyboard is not working and would cost 3k is that the usual price for keyboard??

as long as it is original (not replacement)
  • @rojodemesaa23
    You need a number of things:

1. a laptop repair shop that offers BGA reballing services
    2. a quad-core i7 CPU in BGA1023 package, preferably with 35w TDP

#2 is difficult, because there are only 3 CPUs AFAIK that fit the bill:

* i7-2715QE (Sandy Bridge, 45w TDP, 2.1GHz base clock)
    * i7-3612QE (Ivy Bridge, 35w TDP, 2.1GHz base clock)
    * i7-3615QE (Ivy Bridge, 45w TDP, 2.3GHz base clock)

In general, these 3 are hard to find. While the 3612QE is the best (lowest heat output), it requires flashing Coreboot because the stock BIOS does not support Ivy Bridge CPUs at all. But Coreboot is another can of worms, with issues like an incomplete ACPI implementation that may result in Windows incompatibility.

There are guys that do this mod in mainland China, and even they have a shortage of 3612QE's. Seems like not many of these were made by Intel.

Using the X230 as a base removes the Coreboot requirement, but doesn't solve the issue of CPU availability.

Bottom line: don't bother, it's a pipe dream.

-- edited by awakeruze on Sep 26 2021, 11:29 PM
  • ^this made me long for the days when laptop CPUs were not soldered to the motherboards, not to mention MXM GPUs :)
  • ^this made me long for the days when laptop CPUs were not soldered to the motherboards, not to mention MXM GPUs :)
    X220 is on the 2nd gen intel core processor, or Sandy Bridge. regular laptops on Sandy Bridge (and even up to Ivy Bridge) were on replaceable processor config (FCPGA socket). but ThinkPad x-series decided to go different route - soldered BGA... may be to save space, to keep it "Ultraportable"
  • @newbie
    AFAIK all the X series Thinkpad had soldered processors.
  • ^ yep - ThinkPad x-series.

-- edited by newbie on Sep 27 2021, 03:03 AM
  • any good thinkpad to buy? mas better if quadcore i5 or i7. ung plan ko kasi is x220 pero dual core lang sha. So sa mga naka x220 dito. Ilang tabs kaya nakaopen ng hindi nag llag ang thinkpad?

-- edited by rojodemesaa23 on Oct 03 2021, 10:19 PM
  • ^
    Quad-core i5 only became a thing with the xx80 (T480, X280) generation.

Regarding your question, it's more of what those other tabs are doing. I mean, if you're trying to watch streaming video on each, you'll probably run out of free CPU time really quick.
  • t430 with latest win10 professional, di ba talaga umaandar ang print screen?

nag online keyboard tester na ako, na rerecognized naman yung printscreen pag pinipindot...
  • I've finally settled for an X270 and happy with the form factor. However, the difference between the display and my old T440P FHD 1080p is night and day. Any leads on where I can get a compatible IPS or FHD panel? I've read that for the x270, one would also have to purchase a compatible bezel
  • I got my used 1080p screen for my X250 from a Chinese vendor in Lazada. Brand new parts are pricey, cost more than what I actually paid for my laptop kaya I settled muna for a used one. Walang marking kaya palaisipan kung sino gumawa ng panel.

Mukhang pareho mga panel ng pang X250 sa 270, so check what’s out there
  • Anyone with dead X-series that I can harvest the left Alt keycap? :D
  • @ShinjoYokatsu
    What model?
    Also, Thinkpad keyboards are manufactured by 2-3 companies, and the keycaps are different.
  • @awakeruze - yung left Alt key ng X250 ko papshie. The actual key works naman pero nakakailang lang na exposed yung membrane every time na pipindutin ko :D

I'm aware that key sizes are different on different models pero it seems na pareho lang yung keycap in the same series. My sister has an X270 and pareho lang yung size, but not sure kung pareho ilalim

-- edited by ShinjoYokatsu on Nov 02 2021, 06:20 PM
  • Sorry, I don't have any X250 parts. My Thinkpads are much older.

My sister has an X270 and pareho lang yung size, but not sure kung pareho ilalim

That's exactly the issue I'm referring to. IIRC X250 keyboards are made by either Chicony or Sunrex, with backlit and non-backlit versions. :O
  • hi...saan ba makabili ng t470 keyboard....sa L#Z#D# okey kaya and meron option with a backlit version(na mas mahal), compatible kaya if t470 ko is non backlit ?
  • @sethmartin
    Backlit VS non-backlit keyboard is not an issue because the T470 was designed to work with both types. Not sure about online stores, but personally I'd rather see and test the keyboard itself before paying for it.
  • @awakeruze :

salamat po sir. since i am from cdo, most likely walang store locally na meron stock to test.
  • finally installed the replacement keyboard for my son's t470. okey din kasi yung "with backlit" version yung binili ko from Lozada. Medyo nahirapan lang dun pag install ng cable(ribbon) ng keyboard, hirapan ako ma "clip", mga 4 attempts na okey din. so far ok naman. nag short cut ako dun sa pag disable ng power thru sa bios kasi sira yung enter key ng original kb, so direct baklas na lang ng battery ginawa ko.

meron ba app to test lahat ng keys ?

@awakeruze: salamat po sa advice na pwede pala yung backlit version.

-- edited by sethmartin on Jan 06 2022, 07:39 AM
  • Hello everyone, matanong ko lang. Meron pa ba makukuhang mga X200 or X201 mobos within Manila? Nakakuha kasi ako ng santambak na mga chassis, display + kb pero puro walang mobo.

Puro buo na yung mga nakikita ko sa FB marketplace, tapos parang may mga sniper ata ng mga below 6k na mga {T,X,W}{400,200,500} na mga thinkpad. Nasasayangan lang ako ng nakatambak lang dito yung mga chassis as spare parts.

Salamat!

Edit: Meron rin ba kayong mai-rerecommend na nagaayos ng X200 at T400 mobos. Meron akong tatlo dito na nakuha kasama nung santambak pero yung isa mukhang may blown fuse tapos yung dalawa di ako sure kung dead board or dead cpu.

-- edited by minoutsuba on Feb 22 2022, 02:49 AM
  • The X200 and T400 are more than a decade old by now. Are you sure you want to revive them?
  • Yeah. Okay naman ako with it. I've been using a T400 for about two years now and yung X200 na nabuo ko from spare parts are still good. Siguro kasi sobrang minimal lang ng mga OS na nakalagay tsaka I don't do graphics intensive stuff.

The keyboard and the lack of UEFI is a big boon for me, hahaha.
  • from time to time naglalaro kami ng local multiplayer games using old Thinkpads!

• ^ made me go back to memory lane.

When the IBM Thinkpads were nicknamed Tankpads for a reason.

The company is replacing my laptop with a newer, better spec'd ACER model, but I did not let my Thinkpad go.
  • Balak ko na i-retire ang x260 ko. Okay ba na pamalit ang t14s?