Forum Topic

IBM Thinkpad users thread

• solb yung x280. 2 weeks na ginagamit ng kiddos mas gusto nila kesa sa x220. mas magaan, mas matagal ang batt life, and yung screen mas malinaw / hindi washed out kumpara sa x220 (yan ang feedback ng kiddos)

x280 specs -
    quad core i5-8350u
    8gb ram soldered
    256gb samsung ssd
    FHD touch screen

tambak na muna yung x220 baka gawin ko batocera machine.
  • Saan pwede makahanap ng display adapter para sa T430? Yung lvds to eDP pag papalitan ng IPS display yung screen? Meron bang local or mahahanap sa shopee/lazada? Pag wala aliexpress na lang talaga siguro option ko.
  • Sirs, pwede po ba gamitin sa x200 yung wireless card ng T61?
  • It will fit, but there's a chance that the BIOS whitelist will bite you, since the X200 only came with the Intel 5100 or 5300 wifi cards while the T61 had the older 3945ABG or 4965AGN.

That said, there's a modified X200 BIOS with the whitelist already removed: <click here for link>

Be careful when flashing though. Improper flashing can brick the laptop.

Additional instructions here: <click here for link>

-- edited by awakeruze on Oct 23 2022, 08:54 PM
  • ask lang mga paps ang way lang ba talaagato replace laptop speakers is to replace them? sabog na kasi eh pag high sounds
  • ^
    Replace, or modify: some crazy dudes replaced theirs with speakers from tablets or other laptops:

<click here for link>

<click here for link>
  • noted curious lang talga ako bakit nabasag yung tunong where as di ko naamn na sya nagagamit dahil mat t480 binigay yung company
  • Guys which of the two is more friendly with hardware upgrades in the future, my choices stay down to X220 and X230 non tablet version

Apparently kumonti na Yung tablet versions nagbebenta.... Dumami ang so-called refurbished "mall pull-out" versions nito

Plano ko na rin papalitan ng wifi-BT card later and ram, if nakahanap ng good deal within the two
  • @Vashtard

The X220 and X230 are basically the same in terms of upgradability. The primary advantages of the X230 are:

* all models have USB 3.0 ports (HM77 chipset)

* Ivy Bridge CPU runs cooler than X220's Sandy Bridge

* slightly better graphics (with partial Vulkan support)

The X220's sole advantage is the 7-row keyboard. :P

To use non-Thinkpad WiFi cards on the X230, you need 1vyrain <click here for link> to unlock the BIOS.
  • @awakeruze
    X220's keyboard made me remember the really old pentium III ThinkPad I used before

If I leaned to X220 because cheaper alternative.... If I leaned X230 when peeps entice me an i7 version within the price that I assessed

I vowed way before getting a ThinkPad next... Now it would be a better time, also my 12 year old lappy died shockingly... Price of fixing it could go nearly half for a used X220-X230 (yes dem technicians blame pandemic)
  • ^
    TBH I'd recommend the X230 if you're not beholden to the 7-row keyboard. My X220 is overheating badly even after changing the thermal paste. :(
  • hello eberybody! ask ko lang sino na dito nakapag try mag-order ng thinkpad batt sa shopee? Kamusta yung battery? bnew b tlg or used? madali po bang nasira or nasabugan na kayo (lol)? pashare naman ng wisdom nyo mga fellow tpuser
  • ^ ordered one for my assembled T470p way back 2020. the usual 3hrs batt life. goods pa naman hanggang ngayon. not sure if I can mention the shop name here
  • Good day.

Plan ko po buy para kay missi para sa work from home.

Lenovo ThinkPad X13 Gen 1 i5 10th Gen 10210u

2nd hand po sa green hills. May warranty po sya till next year 2024.

Okay pa naman pag ito buy ko po?

Salamat.
  • ^Kung 8gb ram, go na yan. Bantay na lang din sa battery status empre.
  • Currently testing a T480. It's noticeably faster than my X220. :O
    Would probably get one for myself in the near future, but will keep using my SK-8855 keyboard (reference pic below).

• ^ ganyan issue sakin for a year, now pinalitan ng x1 carbon 10th gen nung febnaninibagoa ko sa liit
  • ^
    I don't ilke the X1 series, esp because of the soldered RAM.
  • Magandang araw po, magtatanong lang po ulit. Papalitan ko po ng SSD yung X200 kaso di ko po ma-install yung os, "Windows Cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style", yan po lumalabas, paano po ba pwede ko gawin solusyon dito. Salamat po.
  • This might work:

Attach it to a working windows system (or boot from a windows DVD and use shiftF10 to get a command prompt and use diskpart.

Type diskpart on the command prompt and press Enter.

List disk

This will list the available disks. Take note of the disk number of the drive you want to partition. If it's disk #1, type

Select disk 1
    then press Enter.

The next command is:
    clean
    to remove all the partitions.

After that.
    exit
    to return to the command prompt.

Reboot. From there you will be able to partition the drive.
  • ^
    Thank you sir.
  • ThinkPads with AMD chips under 50k

- https://www.lenovo.com/ph/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-e-series/ThinkPad-E15-Gen-4-15-inch-AMD/p/LEN101T0023
    - https://www.lenovo.com/ph/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-e-series/ThinkPad-E15-Gen-4-15-inch-AMD/p/21ED0058PH
    - https://www.lenovo.com/ph/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-e-series/ThinkPad-E14-Gen-4-14%E2%80%B3-AMD/p/21EB004KPH
    - https://www.lenovo.com/ph/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkpad-e-series/ThinkPad-E14-Gen-4-14%E2%80%B3-AMD/p/21EB004JPH
  • @t3nma
    Salamat po sir
  • Are there any cheap USB-C docks with a power switch that works with the T480?

• This might work:

Attach it to a working windows system (or boot from a windows DVD and use shiftF10 to get a command prompt and use diskpart.

Type diskpart on the command prompt and press Enter.

List disk

This will list the available disks. Take note of the disk number of the drive you want to partition. If it's disk #1, type

Select disk 1
    then press Enter.

The next command is:
    clean
    to remove all the partitions.

After that.
    exit
    to return to the command prompt.

Reboot. From there you will be able to partition the drive.

classic ah parang USB lang hehehe
  • After 5 years of service, my X220 i7 is on its last legs:

* WLAN slot died, had to put a USB WiFi adapter internally.
    * USB 3.0 slot conks out occasionally. Surprisingly, the USB 3.0 port on the dock doesn't, so I suspect it may be a power issue.
    * Dock's latching mechanism broke, had to remove it. Eject button no longer works, so I just pull out the laptop to undock.
    * Runs hot; had to use Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut (liquid metal TIM)
    * LAN port on the laptop doesn't work, have to use the one in the dock.

I needed an upgrade, one that's a significant upgrade over the X220.
    After months of searching, I ended up with a T480s i5-8350 with FHD touchscreen.
    Spent most of a day wrangling the Thunderbolt firmware update (had to use the command line to force-install it).
    Still need a dock for it (they're much more expensive than the X220's Series 3 Mini dock).

Running Windows 10 22H2, planning to install Linux after I upgrade the SSD--too bad I can't reuse the X220's 2.5" SATA SSD.

-- edited by awakeruze on Apr 20 2023, 06:06 PM
  • Wow, congrats! I’ve had my T480s since 2017. Great laptop, only complaint is it runs hot lol

I used ThrottleStop to manage CPU temps
  • @awakeruze,

can you share the command line update process you did for the Thunderbolt? (if ok lang po)
  • @dejakenth
    1. Open PowerShell as Admin
    2. Go to the directory where the Thunnderbolt firmware update was installed (usually it's somewhere in C:\DRIVERS\WIN) using a "CD" command:

CD C:\DRIVERS\WIN\(insert thunderbolt firmware folder here without the parentheses)

3. Then run:

.\FwUpdateCmd.exe FWUpdate "$(.\FwUpdateCmd.exe EnumControllers)" TBT.bin
  • @awakeruze,

thank you. :)