Forum Topic

IBM Thinkpad users thread

• sir awakeruze, maraming salamat po.

-- edited by junt on Oct 19 2017, 06:44 PM
  • tanong lang po, magkano ang presyo ng x230 ngayon? nagbabalak po bumili at iupgrade SSD + RAM

naghanap po ako sa tpc, fb, lx > 10K lahat ng good condition
  • I got mine around 9k but all stock (4gb RAM + 500GB) from a private seller. The condition is pristine with little to no visible scratches. It was lady owned and she worked at home most of the time.

I had it for a gift for my son's school work and it's been running great for almost two months now. Performance is not that bad (given it has spindle drive + 4GB of RAM) once you've updated the firmware/system drivers. The 32GB msata indeed helps with the performance boost.

That >10k price range is true coming from computer shops. Look for private sellers and you can haggle from here.

-- edited by rhizom3 on Nov 01 2017, 10:20 AM
  • My backup machine, an X61 with Core 2 Duo T7500, just died on me the other night. T_T

It powers up, but the display doesn't turn on, and there's a 4-4-4-4 error beep code. The error coded doesn't change when I remove the RAM, which means it's a very serious issue. :O
  • sir awakeruze, may nakita akong ad na naka post dito sa tpc para sa x61 motherboard (not my post)
    1k siya kung gusto niyo pa buhayin yun x61 niyo
  • i've wiped out the Debian Sid on my T420s and replaced it with Fedora 27 (for study purposes). since I got used to my previous setup of Debian and i3, I decided to do the same for Fedora 27. i made it two notches better by adding compton and customizing i3blocks.

and with all that work, its time to take a break and play my favorite game! it's like a time machine, as the wallpaper i used was from FC5 - the first fedora i used way way back! and the game also is the game i got addicted to in the arcades back in the days!

im using my logitech F710 and its plug / play in linux, no need for additional drivers.

• meron bang thinkpad na may specs na ganito
    full keyboard with numeric keys
    4 cores / 8 threads i7

?
  • ^ T5xx series?
  • ^
    Most recent models are P50/51/52 -- do not get the models with the s suffix (like the P51s) because those have dual-core CPUs.

Older model would be the T540p and W540, which has a Haswell (2014) quad-core CPU.

-- edited by awakeruze on Jan 29 2018, 04:40 AM
  • ^ thanks looks like p50/51/52 is what I want or at least an old w540
  • T420s success! 3HDDs in one laptop! solb sa storage!

480GB SSD in main drive, 120GB SSD in mSATA port, 500GB HDD in caddy

this is the caddy i used -

• i have the same setup with my t430.

anyone knows where to buy m.2 42mm?
  • ^
    M.2 2242 SSD? Order overseas. :(

My sister's friend bought a 128GB M.2 2242 SSD for her T440 from Amazon US and had it shipped directly to Manila.
  • how much did it cost her? total?
  • ^
    A little over 4.8k (including 112 pesos in the post office).
  • anychance of knowing when will t480 be released here in ph?
  • magkano ko kaya mabente t420 ko. walang discrete graphics and 1440x900 reso 8gb ram. need ko kasi bago
  • @tj
    Check the prices of the T420 in Items for sale.
  • Bought a TP Yoga 370 in the US, with matching International Service Warranty -- has anyone tried getting warranty service here? May problema yung LCD ko, may fuzzy white border... kitang kita pag dark scenes or background. Kanino kaya pwede? Checked the local list, daming shops nakalagay, but not sure which one talaga ang ok yung service.

Thanks in advance.
  • ano kaya ang possible problem ng Thinkpad T420 ko?

Binilhan ko ng battery pero ayaw mag ON, pero kapag sinaksak ko sa power socket using power cord ay nag bo-boot naman pero kapag inalis ang power cord ay ayaw magboot sa battery. Detected naman ang battery kapag naka power cord.

TIA
  • ^baka fake battery?
  • Hi All

I'm planning to upgrade my X230 to X270. Question about the SSD upgrade, the X270 supports SATA 3 interface and I'd like to upgrade to PCIe NVMe SSD with adaptor (X270 has no PCIe connector).

Will I gain the 3,938 MB per second speed or it will down-clock? to somewhere 550MB/s?
  • ^
    There are PCIe x4 SSDs listed for the X270, based on the FRU listings: <click here for link> <click here for link>

Take note that the 2.5" SATA HDD/SSD and M.2 2280 NVMe SSD share the same bay, and require different cables. This means:

1. You cannot have both 2.5 inch HDD/SSD and M.2 2280 MVMe SSD at the same time
    2. If your X270 came with a 2.5 inch HDD/SSD, you need to buy the NVMe cable and caddy.

Relevant Reddit post: <click here for link>
  • Tinaggalan ka pala ng storage flexibility sa X270, you cant have the M2+HDD combo.

Anyway, anyone looking for m2 ssd 2242? check my item
  • recently bought a T470, di ba normally meron integrated na 3 cell battery by default ? taka ako 6 cell external battery yung sa akin, how do we verify na 48Wh o 72 Wh. sana 3 cell integrated + 3 cell external para pwede pa upgrade. pabulong naman saan bumili ng reliable and cheap sodimm ddr4 2133 8g or 16g
  • @sethmartin

Read: <click here for link>
  • @awakeruze:

thanks. 6 cell battery daw sabi ni supplier. ano ba usual practice niyo, laging naka saksak wall power if nasa bahay/office or use the battery until a certain level then connect the power adaptor again ?
  • I remove the battery when I run on AC power.
  • awakeruze Send Message View User Items on 01 May 18 @ 11:21 PM #

^
    There are PCIe x4 SSDs listed for the X270, based on the FRU listings: <click here for link> <click here for link>

Take note that the 2.5" SATA HDD/SSD and M.2 2280 NVMe SSD share the same bay, and require different cables. This means:

1. You cannot have both 2.5 inch HDD/SSD and M.2 2280 MVMe SSD at the same time
    2. If your X270 came with a 2.5 inch HDD/SSD, you need to buy the NVMe cable and caddy.

Relevant Reddit post: <click here for link>

Thanks. Got the X280 instead of X270. This new unit is so slim just like my MBP. Downside is Memory & SSD are not replaceable (I got top of the line BTW) and battery is not that easy to access.
  • if mag upgrade ng ram is it always actual testing at the store for compatibilty ? pabulong naman where do you sourced out your memory upgrades. usually di rin kasi readily available especially 16gb sticks. Ano na ba life cycle ng ddr4 2400/2133 sodimms, pawala na ba or is it cheaper now ?