Forum Topic

IBM Thinkpad users thread

• Teensy converts Thinkpad keyboard into USB: <click here for link>
  • revived my water-damaged x220! got a FREE mobo donor from my boss. my boss upgraded his x220 from i3 to i7 mobo, and gave the board to me for FREE, if i will do the mobo install for his x220.

-- edited by ryanrudolf on Dec 07 2018, 09:51 PM
  • ^
    Didn't notice it was your post at reddit. :D
  • ^ yep thats me!
  • napalitan ko din yung cracked lid ng T440 ko yey! guys bakit sabi nila glass daw yung touchpad ng x40 series? bakit yung sa t440 ko parang sticker hahahaha
  • inquire lang medyo nalito ako sa memory type pwede sa T470, per specification parang pasok talaga DDR400 2133...just hoping pwede DDR400 2400.

-- edited by sethmartin on Dec 21 2018, 02:10 PM
  • performed the Intel 7260 AC WIFI upgrade on my X220!

<click here for link>
  • @sethmartin
    Even if it supports only DDR4-2133, using DDR4-2400 on it shouldn't be a problem.

@ryanrudolf
    Nice! I'm planning to upgrade to AC myself, but only after I upgrade our WiFi router(s). Question: is the Archer C6 v2 router good enough for home use?
  • ^ not sure about archer, if it supports openwrt i'd get it. im still using N router, just upgraded my wifi chip to 7260 AC so i can have bluetooth.
  • ^
    Only Archer C5 and C7 are supported. :( <click here for link>

The C7 costs 50% more than the C6. T_T

-- edited by awakeruze on Dec 23 2018, 01:21 AM
  • @awakeruze:

maraming salamat.
  • if mag upgrade ng hard drive sa t470, either ssd or m2, papano po yung default system files(win 10 pro) i transfer to the new drive ? ano po ba best upgrade for t470 since pa luma na rin....i'm planning to buy 2 pcs 16g ddr400...wonder meron ba significant difference between 24g vs 32g (default 8 + additional 16g). yung default drive is a 1 tb 5400rpm ata, pwede kaya i transfer sa desktop should i upgrade to either ssd or m2 ?
  • the ssd would just be a new drive and you likely need to reinstall to that drive. 16gb should usually be enough but that would depend on the apps that you use. the more ram the merrier though even if you do not use it now- you might in the future.
  • sulit kaya ang x200 tablet for 75cad (about 3000 pesos) to 100cad? a winnipeg kijiji seller almost accepted my offer but immediately changed his mind lol
  • ^ older than x220, ang range ko is 50cad and below, max is 80cad.
  • @adonis827 :

thanks. di ba naka reside sa default drive yung windows installation files/drivers since wala naman cd kasama upon purchase. papano kaya i copy yun, wala kayang ma "left out" na files na parang copy protection ? btw, meron na ba m2 drive adapter by default or need to purchase pa ? saan kaya ?

o aim ko ultimately toupgrade to max memory para sagad na sa upgrade as well as yung m2 ssd. mahirap na hanapin and mahal na if later in the future pa.
  • your windows license is hopefully in the bios which gets automatically retrieved in the windows install but not sure.

it seems your t470 do not have m.2 slot. why not buy a ssd sata instead of m.2 ssd plus adapter?

-- edited by adonis827 on Jan 01 2019, 12:08 PM
  • @adonis827
    If the laptop came preinstalled with Win 8 or 10, both the license and product key are embedded in the BIOS. In laptops with preinstalled Windows 7 or earlier, only the license is embedded, while the product key is in the OS recovery disc.
  • if mag upgrade ng hard drive sa t470, either ssd or m2, papano po yung default system files(win 10 pro) i transfer to the new drive ? ano po ba best upgrade for t470 since pa luma na rin....i'm planning to buy 2 pcs 16g ddr400...wonder meron ba significant difference between 24g vs 32g (default 8 + additional 16g). yung default drive is a 1 tb 5400rpm ata, pwede kaya i transfer sa desktop should i upgrade to either ssd or m2 ?

option 1 - upgrade to SATA SSD. remove the 1TB 5400rpm HDD and plug it in to a desktop. plug the SATA SSD to same desktop and clone from there. all the contents of 1TB 5400rpm HDD will be transferred to SATA SSD.

option 2 - upgrade to m2 SSD using 2.5in adapter. same as option1, except you will use adapter. connect the HDD / m2 SSD + adapter to a desktop and clone from there.

option 3 - upgrade to mSATA SSD using the WWAN slot. plug the mSATA SSD to the WWAN. clone the 1TB 5400rpm HDD to the WWAN. keep existing HDD. change boot sequence to use the mSATA SSD.

the 1TB 5400rpm HDD can be plugged in to a desktop as it uses regular SATA cables. you might need mounting brackets to secure it to your desktop.

once you clone, all the files will be transferred including hidden Windows system files. pero in my opinion, mas OK ang clean reinstall. during reinstall, the installer will be able to activate your system as the keys are embedded in the BIOS.

in my setup i am utilizing 480GB SATA SSD and 256GB mSATA SSD + 16GB RAM, although im using a thinkpad 5generations lower than the t470.
  • @ryanrudolf

Correction on option 3:

The T470 does not have an mSATA slot. The WWAN slot is M.2 2242, so you need an M.2 2242 SATA SSD.
  • ^ whoops thanks! akala ko regular msata ung WWAN port. thanks!
  • @awakeruze As far as I know the license key and product key is the same. But you likely know better as I spend most of my time in a non windows OS.
  • ^
    Try reading: <click here for link>
  • @adonis
    @awakeruze
    @ryanrudolf

maraming salamat. i guess the most ideal option would be option 2 but i need to secure that adapter and a certain cable to also accomodate M.2 2280. yung sa WWAN slot "conversion" meron daw parang limitation as to capacity and parang mahirap/fewer supply nung shorter 2242 ssd.

btw, backward compatible ba talaga lahat ng ddr 4 sodimm. like sa T470 parang ddr 4 2133 parang naka specify. 101% ba yung backward compatibility in general ? meron kasi ako nakita ddr 4 2666 16g.....medyo pahirap na hanap nung 2133.
  • @sethmartin

im just curious, why do you want to go with option 2 M2+adapter? why not just install a regular 2.5in SATA ssd?
  • ryanrudolf Send Message View User Items on 02 Jan 19 @ 10:02 PM #

@sethmartin

im just curious, why do you want to go with option 2 M2+adapter? why not just install a regular 2.5in SATA ssd?

Yeah ~ I don't see any advantage on M2+Adapter compare to regular SSD.
  • im just curious, why do you want to go with option 2 M2+adapter? why not just install a regular 2.5in SATA ssd?

the m2 adapter apparently would accomodate m2.NVMe though limited to 2 pcie lanes.....mas practical nga na regular ssd na lang ako muna. maybe, buy the adapter in advance for future m2 use.
  • I tried to replace the keyboard of x240. I followed the HMM to the dot. I started off with disabling the internal battery in BIOS, then remove the external and internal battery. And from there follow the HMM. When i reconnected back everything, there is no power to the display. I can hear the fan spinning and the power button is GREEN.

EDIT: FIXED! reseated CMOS battery and it now works!

Ive tried to troubleshoot, double check the connections but still same. When i remove the RAM stick it BEEPS so it still POSTS and the mobo is not fried. When i tried to connect external monitor, there is no display too. Any ideas what else to check?

-- edited by ryanrudolf on Jan 15 2019, 03:13 AM

• I tried to replace the keyboard of x240. I followed the HMM to the dot. I started off with disabling the internal battery in BIOS, then remove the external and internal battery. And from there follow the HMM. When i reconnected back everything, there is no power to the display. I can hear the fan spinning and the power button is GREEN.

EDIT: FIXED! reseated CMOS battery and it now works!

this x240 is my coworkers laptop. after i fixed it, he gave me a t41p for free! gonna try restore it. case is good no cracks, lcd has no lines. 1gb ram and ide hdd. good for weekend project!

-- edited by ryanrudolf on Jan 18 2019, 09:15 PM
  • ^
    Yesterday. one of my clients gave me two old laptops for free, too bad neither of are Thinkpads though.

One is an Aspire One D250, the other and HP laptop around the same age as the T41 (Pentium M, DDR1 RAM), but has a widescreen display like the Z60. :O