Forum Topic

IBM Thinkpad users thread

• Slightly OT: how's the T420s weight compared to the X220?
  • my T420s is slightly heavier compared to my x220 with 9cell battery.
  • T41p / T43 ready for retro gaming using WinXP!

Specs -
    T41p chassis / T43 mobo
    2.5GB DDR2 RAM (2GB usable)
    60GB IDE
    Radeon X300 128MB RAM
    1400x1050 LCD
    Integrated modem and PCMCIA modem (good for dialup / BBS)
    Parallel Port
    IrDA port (infrared)
    S-Video and VGA port
    USB 2.0 ports
    Mic and Headset jacks

List of Abandonware / DOS Games -
    Ascendancy
    Command and Conquer
    Darksun Shattered Lands
    Darksun Wake of Ravager
    Heroes of Might and Magic I and II
    Master of Orion I and II
    Red Alert
    Terminal Velocity
    Tyrian
    Wacky Wheels
    Warcraft I and II

Initially this is running Debian 32bit, but I already have too many linux boxes laying around. I reformatted to Win2K for retro gaming, but getting BSODs when installing the Radeon driver.
    Switched to WinXP and so far so good! I was able to get a volume license (no need for online activation) XP SP3 ISO from archive.org, trimmed it down using nLite and luckily my volume license key still works! Installed all the drivers except for LAN / WLAN as I wont connect this to the internet for security purposes. This will mainly be for retro gaming.
    I've transferred several DOS / abandonware games from my main Linux PC. I used to play them via DOSBox, but now I will play them just like the good old days.
  • is there a counterfeit thinkpad?
    seen there are online sellers of brand new thinkpad that are half the price (well, compared to the ones being sold in malls).

it is tempting, so just want to be sure,
  • Pabulong naman
  • is there a counterfeit thinkpad?

I doubt it. Though if the price is too good to be true, it probably is.
  • A prodigal son is set to return. LOL

I'm about to reclaim an X61 (actually an X601 Frankenpad) from my sister. It has the same CPU as my first X61 (Core 2 Duo T8100 @2.1GHz).
  • I doubt it. Though if the price is too good to be true, it probably is.

price in malls is about 100k brand new while from online seller it is around 50k brand new

-- edited by dukgo on Apr 30 2019, 07:38 PM
  • @dukgo

Probably gray market. Maybe bought from US (or wherever the price is lower) then transported to PH. Smuggled? No idea.
  • Guys!
    Ok pa ba ang X1 Carbon 1st Gen. Medyo luma na ang 3rd gen i7 pero smooth pa naman. Payo para mamaintain to dahil college laptop ko na to eh hahaha
  • @awakeruze

thanks. lots of it being sold online.

@pldt
    i used x1 before, can't remember if it was i5 4th gen. i loved that laptop.
  • @Pldt_HomeUlterorism

My primary machine is an X220, which is one year older than an X1 Carbon Gen 1. You'll be fine. Put an SSD and at least 4GB RAM and it will fly. :D

Regarding maintenance tips, common sense goes a long way in prolonging your laptop's life.

- don't put liquids near the laptop at all times.

- don't smoke or vape/e-cig near the laptop--I had a client that got his laptop damaged due to the moisture content of the vape.

- don't eat near the laptop (or risk ant/insect infestation)

- monitor system temps

- Try not to use the laptop in a dusty environment (unless you know how to clean the heatsink and apply new thermal paste).

- If your laptop has a hard drive, don't carry the laptop around unless it's turned off, on sleep/standby, or on hibernation.

Stuff like that.
  • Good evening!

I need help. I am planning to buy a T440p model. San makakabili nung upgrade parts like IPS panel trackpad ad backlit keyboard. Pati estimated price TIA
  • ask ko lang sana po kung sino po dito ang trusted seller ng thinkpad laptop na pwde mag ship to Visayas. salamat po.
  • excited for T540p! First time to use a thinkpad chiclet / island keyboard.
  • Hello guys, I was looking for FHD IPS panel for my t440p and and i7 upgrade. Upon searching overseas lang ako may nakitang reasonable price. Baka may alam kayo locally if meron. TIA
  • T540p memtest. Im using regular DD3 sodimm 1.5v and surprisingly it works. Doing memtest and after overnight testing so far so good!
    Let the upgrades begin!

-- edited by ryanrudolf on Aug 27 2019, 09:18 PM
  • t440p dvd rom to hdd caddy kahit anong brand okay lang ba? Thanks
  • ^ may size yang caddy paps 12 or 9mm i think
  • slowly building my T540p. ramdam ang upgrade coming from T420s!
  • ^
    If the T540p is a quad-core, then you'll definitely feel the difference
  • @wallcom

Yes may sizes pero i mean sir sa brand kahit generic lang sa lazada will work na no? hehe.
  • My Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga (X260) does not turn-on and was advised to change motherboard. Baka may technicians na pede ma-refer dito sa south area (Las Pinas, Paranaque, Muntinlupa). TIA.
  • @dukgo and demigod:
    Bought t470 kay c*r*sgadgets......parang grey market nga meron 3 years into warranty. Luckily, di pay nagloko. Brand new naman. Mag 2 years na rin.
  • Need advise po, balak kong bumili ng X200T [Tablet] for software development and android studio/development assuming ma upgrade ko yung RAM to atleast 4GB. Mura kase yung nakita ko na X200T. Pero mukhang mas maganda yung X220T kaso wala akong makita dito at mas mahal siya.
    Aside from this, balak ko din I coreboot yung mabili ko na thinkpad or libreboot para mas free software kahit papano.

for software development, ano po suggest niyo sa 3 na to:
    X200T, X220T, x230T kahit wala pakong makita na seller at budget haha
  • ^ I'd lean toward the X220T or X230T, as these have Core i5/i7 CPUs.

The X200T only has a Core 2 Duo CPU, and a low-voltage one at that. The fastest model is 2.13GHz, but is generally hard to find; you'll probably encounter the second-fastest model (1.86 GHz) more often. I doubt that's fast enough for a development machine.
  • ryanrudolf Send Message View User Items on 23 Jul 19 @ 02:31 AM - User is online #
    excited for T540p! First time to use a thinkpad chiclet / island keyboard.

ryanrudolf Send Message View User Items on 27 Aug 19 @ 09:17 PM - User is online #
    T540p memtest. Im using regular DD3 sodimm 1.5v and surprisingly it works. Doing memtest and after overnight testing so far so good!
    Let the upgrades begin!

ryanrudolf Send Message View User Items on 11 Sep 19 @ 06:12 AM - User is online #
    slowly building my T540p. ramdam ang upgrade coming from T420s!

Finally got my i7-4810mq. Ramdam ang upgrade from i5-4200m!

i5-4200m taking about 10mins to encode a video -

i7-4810mq takes about 5mins to encode the same video -

Next and final upgrade is the 3k screen. Antay antay kay aliexpress!
  • Thanks po sa advice ni @awakeruze, but I decided to go for X200T, since wala akong budget para sa X220T/X230T at wala din akong nakitang seller dito.

TODO: RAM upgrade

-- edited by tpc_gpm on Oct 30 2019, 07:57 PM
  • ^nice
  • finally my T540p is complete and its a beast!

Intel quad core i7 4810MQ
    2880x1620 3k screen resolution
    16GB DDR3 RAM
    480GB Intel SSD
    120GB TCSunbow SSD
    500GB HDD
    Intel 7260 WIFI

<click here for link>