Forum Topic

TPC Road, Cyclocross, Gravel Bikes Thread

• Guys,

Gusto matutong magbike ng mga anak ko, 13 and 10 years old.

- Parecommend please ng setup for beginners.
    - Where to buy at nasa ano ang price range?
    - Hindi ba too late sa age nila magaral magbike? Balancer on wheels? lol
    - Any safe na location na pwede magpractice near Manila?
  • ^ it is never too late to ride a bike! imho, you can prolly let go of the balancers. yung balance nila as preteens are sure better than a toddlers. mabilis lang nila mapipick up yan. Near CCP complex dati ako nagppractice ng bike. presko pa, though not sure if pwede parin doon.

oldschool-wise I would suggest to start with a BMX, pero nakikita ko sa youtube na even a biker na 10-13 years old e Mountain bike na ang padyan.

• @d3rrIck

Parang ang sama ng rep ng Chinese CF bars..
  • @Godai

Yeah chief I saw that too (I've been watching trace velo ever since). Pero meron naman akong nakikitang mga chinese brand which seems reliable at dumaan sa tamang QC like winspace, velobuild, and yeoleo. FWIW, these brands are more than 50% cheaper than known brands and it appears to have gained popularity from the masses kaya tempting kumuha heheh. Nung nagcheck ako sa aliexpress, I found OG-EVKIN brand too (parang binaliktad na OG-KEVIN) which is among the crowd favorite. The brand claimed their handlebars are made from T1000 carbon, and the latest iteration (according to them) is made with EPS+latex. Sa tingin ko, parang same sila ng business model ni ECNAL philippines (which is binaliktad na LANCE lol), and are using open molds. I also saw Elves which I think is sikat sa pinas and SE Asia? Saw in youtube someone mentioned that elves came from the same factory as cervelo?

-- edited by d3rrlck on Dec 14 2021, 11:58 AM
  • Thanks gr8guy!

^ it is never too late to ride a bike! imho, you can prolly let go of the balancers. yung balance nila as preteens are sure better than a toddlers. mabilis lang nila mapipick up yan. Near CCP complex dati ako nagppractice ng bike. presko pa, though not sure if pwede parin doon.

oldschool-wise I would suggest to start with a BMX, pero nakikita ko sa youtube na even a biker na 10-13 years old e Mountain bike na ang padyan.
  • @d3rrlck

for non critical parts like seat posts, saddles, bottle cages, accessory mounts, okay lang sir magrisk onte sa cheap or ultralights. pero for full gas sprinting, long/steep downhills, mahirap na bro, mas masakit ang hospital bills :)

i follow this motto
    cheap & reliable = not fast
    fast & reliable = *not cheap
    fast & cheap = not reliable
    *unless used lol
  • @ Kaufman

Thanks! Naka-order na ako chief. I'm following the same principle especially on critical parts of the bike :) pero hindi naman ako competitive cyclist, more on recreational/leisure and fitness lang. I've decided to get a branded one for only 160 bucks (online discount lol) from wiggle UK in-house brand prime primavera aero. The primavera looks like a controltech cougar, and possibly a rebranded aero bar from the same mold.

Anyway, while searching for IB, I found this new version of the shimano pro vibe evo IB. Grabe ang ganda :D
  • The joy of being able to work on your own bike. Upgraded the stock Domane wheelset into 108POE. Tunog bubuyog na sya ngayon :D

• Ano ok na gravel bike these days for around 30-50K budget?
  • ^kespor nakikita if you want grx agad

50k max budget try visiting bikezilla, missing link baka may mga sale sila
    marin nicasio
    55k ata yung giant revolt 2 not sure

or go for 2nd hand gravel bike
  • Triban RC520 or RC500 are best value if you can find one in your size.
  • Ano ok na gravel bike these days for around 30-50K budget?

gawin mo nang 80k para Giant Revolt na haha
  • ^thanks sa inputs, pero alanganin sa 80K haha, Triban parang wala yata stock.
  • Kespor GSX mukhang ok. Ok naman ba yung t800 carbon fork niya?
  • Triban may mga secondhand, kahit sa Facebook marketplace. Around 30k for the rc500.
  • potek parang ubusan mga Kespor GSX
  • potek parang ubusan mga Kespor GSX

Chief check mo yung pinewood katana, bagong labas lang. For 35K, it comes with Tiagra 10s STI / RD / FD, rest of component is same as most china brand.

Meron din bagong labas na kespor grx. For 52K, it comes with GRX400 10S STI, RD / FD / GRX400 hydraulic brakset.

GRX400 is basically a tiagra with a clutch mechanism on RD. For 17K, you're paying for the clutch mechanism and the full Hydraulic brakes on Kespor GRX. Decide na lang if that will be of value to you.

-- edited by d3rrlck on Jan 24 2022, 09:57 AM
  • ^Kespor GSX pa din tawag sa kanya, but with GRX400 Groupset.
    Kaya kaya up to 40T casette sa GRX400 RD?

-- edited by ViperXtreme on Jan 24 2022, 05:45 PM
  • Kaya kaya up to 40T casette sa GRX400 RD?

Once you go 40T on cassette, you might need to convert to 1x crank setup unless you're ok not being able to use some gearing combination on 2x crank e.g big chainring to biggest cog. If you want to keep the 2x crank, you'll need to change either the big or small ring to close the gap between the number of teeth.

-- edited by d3rrlck on Jan 24 2022, 09:44 PM
  • ^ah i see.
    Pinuntahan ko shop na me Kespor GSX kanina, sayang wala na sila yung brown, silver na lang natira pero ok naman, mukhang more on size 50 ako, di ko muna kinuha hanggat di ko pa na dispose isang bike ko.
    Magaan na din, nung binuhat ko so mukhang ok naman.
  • Pansin ko din pala, karamihan mga gravel and road bikes na medyo pataas na presyo, carbon fork ang nilalagay, ok lang ba yun sa gravel na matagtag? meron ba mga cases na nasira siya?
  • ViperXtreme: Ano ok na gravel bike these days for around 30-50K budget?

meron q alloy gravel bike the i always use as cargo bike for groceries (5-15kg) load on top sa 75kg rider load..

pero kung bibili q ng bago then i'll choose chromoly steel (again as a cargo bike or leisure purposes).. if ur looking for the same purpose then avoid carbon components (they are not meant to handle cargo loads)

kung magkakapera lng ako i'll buy Traction Atlas frame (whole bike is 37.5k) as a cheaper option for Surly
    https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=traction%20atlas

but if more on speed at handling ka not on errands then Kespor GSX (GRX edition) has better drivetrain for 50k
  • ^my other old semi slick tire MTB will be handling my grocery and cargo and random errands, while the gravel will be for adventures on minor dirt and long rides.
  • Majority ba ng 700c rims like yung stock ng Kespor GSX (machine 11) kasya mga MTB 29er tires? Planning to stick a 29x1.6 (40c?) Continental RIde tour once i got my bike (using these tires on my other bike and it's amazing on both pavement and dirt)

-- edited by ViperXtreme on Jan 29 2022, 06:44 PM
  • I haven't tried sticking a 29er tire on my 700c rims. Ang alam kong kasya are the 28" tires. Kasi ang interchangeable na inner tubes na nakita ko sa 700c are the 28"

• ^now that you mentioned it, dinouble check ko continental site and 28" lang nga pinakamalaki, weird me 29 na nagbebenta sa sh*p** and l*z*d*
  • @Viper
    The term 700c for road bike and 29er for mtb are often misleading and confusing, but what you should be paying attention is the rim diameter sizing which is commonly spec'd as ETRTO 622 or 622mm . It refers to the rim diameter where the tire bead sits in. Both 700c and 29er use the same rim sizing which is 622mm. Install a skinny tire on a 622 mm rim, and you'll usually end up with a wheel diameter of 700mm or commonly referred as 700c. Install an 2.2 inch wide mtb tire on 622mm rim, and you'll end with a wheel diameter of 29 inches or 29er.

1 inch = 25.4 mm

So to answer your question, yes you can install a continental tire on kespor stock rim since the stock tire on it is already a 40mm or 1.6 inches.
  • any one tried 29er wheelset on 26er frame? bagal n bagal ako sa 26 kahit binalik ko na sa 3*9 saw some pics on the internet pero not from asian country eh iba pa din yung na aka try na
  • @ wallcom

Well, you can measure it if your frame/fork has enough clearance. A 29er rim is a standard 622mm or 24.5 inches in diameter. Add the sidewall measurement of the tire, and it should give you the diameter of the entire wheelset.

Example, my 29er with ikon 2.2 inch wheel diameter is: 24.5 + 2.2 + 2.2 = 28.9 inches

My other 29er with 45mm (or 1.75 inches) gravel tire is: 24.5 + 1.75 + 1.75 = 28 inches

My 700c roadbike with 32mm skinny tire is: 622mm + 32 + 32 = 686mm or 27 inches

You can literally compute to how much frame/fork clearance you'll need if you're changing the wheelset.
  • @d3rrlck: Wow thanks for the explanation boss, so ganun pala yun. Also, got my Kespor GSX with GRX parts, 42mm for now naka install na WTB tires. so far kasyang kasya pa.