Forum Topic

PSU 101: A Guide and Q&A Thread for PSU

• 100% CPU load, Prime95 = 47W to 48W

100% CPU + 100% GPU load, Prime95 + FurMark = 60W to 65W

With these numbers, the Silverstone SFX-300W power supply won't even break a sweat.
  • On the topic of the Corsair VS series, baka mataas lang ang lemon rate niya. Marami kasi ako kilalang matagal na gumagamit ng VS450. Siguro pag yung unit niyo tumagal ng ilang months ibig sabihin ok na siya. Observation ko lang kaya di rin 100% sure
  • ^ Wala naman kasing valid statistical data available para makapag-conclude that a certain PSU has a high failure rate

-- edited by bintsmok on May 01 2016, 08:46 PM
  • Yep, malaking problema talaga sa pag gauge ng build quality yung lack of data, hanggang anecdotes lang talaga tayo sadly
  • @dm1179

sir na try mo na mag laro jan sa skylake mo ?
  • ^Sorry bro, I don't play PC games now eh.
  • Noob question. Just want to confirm:

If I have a PSU that is rated at 850W, does this mean that it draws 850W from the main line all the time while the pc is running, and everything in excess of the power consumption of the pc components will be turn to heat (wasted)? Or the 850W rating is the maximum power it can draw from the main line and it can draw anywhere from the needed power of all components up to 850W (say 650W - 850W)? I'm contemplating on buying an 850W PSU but my rig does not require that much power, but I have no choice because the 850W PSU is the more durable build/brand compared to the other available PSU's here. I'm concern about my electric bill because I'll be using my pc for at least 18 hours per day.

Thanks!
  • @ pinoy_freelancer

pagkakaalam ko sir 850W is the maximum rated watts that ur PSU can supply sa isang system not necessarily na 850W all the time ang icoconsume nya sa wall outlet mo. Kung anu lang ang i-require ni PC kay PSU un lang ibibigay nya, lets say naka-idle ang PC mo and need lang nya ng 60W, so si PSU 60W lang ang isusupply nya kay PC not the full 850W.
  • @pinoy_freelancer: See my photos above and previous page. I have a 300W PSU. Power consumption depends on the load of your computer system. At idle, my Skylake PC only consumes 14W-16W. At full load, it only consumes 47W-65W.
  • Noob question. Just want to confirm:

If I have a PSU that is rated at 850W, does this mean that it draws 850W from the main line all the time while the pc is running, and everything in excess of the power consumption of the pc components will be turn to heat (wasted)? Or the 850W rating is the maximum power it can draw from the main line and it can draw anywhere from the needed power of all components up to 850W (say 650W - 850W)? I'm contemplating on buying an 850W PSU but my rig does not require that much power, but I have no choice because the 850W PSU is the more durable build/brand compared to the other available PSU's here. I'm concern about my electric bill because I'll be using my pc for at least 18 hours per day.

nope, parang makina ng kotse yan. Mas mataas ang fuel consumption (per minute not per km) pag mabilis ka. Pag idle ka or low speed, di mataas ang fuel consumption.
  • nope, parang makina ng kotse yan. Mas mataas ang fuel consumption (per minute not per km) pag mabilis ka. Pag idle ka or low speed, di mataas ang fuel consumption.

Not good example ang car engine. Driving at low speed in EDSA traffic gives higher fuel consumption. Driving at high speed in the expressway gives lower fuel consumption.
  • As I thought! Just really wanted to double check. PSU nalng kasi yung kulang, good to go na pg assemble bukas.

Last question: Wala nmang side effect ano sa ibang parts ng pc kung yung PSU sobrang sobra dun sa required/needed na power ng rig?

Thanks! @aimsrhod @dm1179 @AmalgamvsAloof
  • @ pinoy_freelancer

go lang sir la po problem yan :)
    un nga lang it will cost you more
  • @pinoy_freelancer

Another thing I would like to add is if you estimate your PC consumes 250W on average then go with a 500W PSU. If your PC consumes around 300W on average then go with a 600W PSU... and so on.

Reason for this is true rated PSU's with 80PLUS Bronze, Gold, or Platinum rating operate most efficiently at 50% load. So try to aim for 50% load on your PSU to maximize savings on electricity and increase the life span of the PSU :-)

So for example if you bought a 500W Gold rated PSU and your PC needs 250 Watts of power from the PSU, the PSU will only pull 272 Watts from the 220 volt outlet :-)

-- edited by sleepygeepy on May 12 2016, 10:19 PM
  • @aimsrhod
    go lang sir la po problem yan :)
    un nga lang it will cost you more

Thanks! 900php yung difference nung bibilhin kung PSU compared dun sa isa pero, I think sulit nman kasi nasa Tier 2 (?) tong bibilhin ko tapos yung isa is nasa Tier4 (?) according dun sa list sa page 1.

@sleepygeepy

Another thing I would like to add is if you estimate your PC consumes 250W on average then go with a 500W PSU. If your PC consumes around 300W on average then go with a 600W PSU... and so on.

Reason for this is true rated PSU's with 80PLUS Bronze, Gold, or Platinum rating operate most efficiently at 50% load. So try to aim for 50% load on your PSU to maximize savings on electricity and increase the life span of the PSU :-)

Exactly. Yung suggested PSU talaga dapat is 620W kaso wala na dito sa shop. Province kasi ako eh. I'm actually down to two choices: Tier 4 - 750W (Corsair CX750M) vs Tier 2 - 850W. Though mas mahal ng 900php yung 850W, I think it's worth the investment. I also need to protect my rig so I need a durable PSU.

All the items are already shipped and ready for assembly at the shop, kulang nalang is the decision for the PSU. This is the suggested build and tomorrow I'll be going to the shop, first thing in the morning (excited kasi!):

cpu, Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0-4.20GHz
    mobo, MSI Z170A Tomahawk
    ram, GSkill Ripjaws V 16GB 2x8GB DDR4 3200
    ssd, Samsung 850 Evo 250GB
    odd, any DVDRW
    hdd, Seagate 2TB 7200rpm 64mb, ST2000DM001 (change to WD 2TB Blue, availability issues)
    gpu, Palit GTX 970 4gb
    psu, Seasonic S12II-620 620Watts 80PLUS Bronze (change to Seasonic M12-II EVO 850W 80PLUS Bronze)
    atx, Tecware Alpha USB3.0
    mon, Dell U2414H 24-inch LED IPS 1920*1080
    hsf, ID Cooling Frostflow 240L Liquid Cooling

-- edited by pinoy_freelancer on May 13 2016, 12:40 AM

-- edited by pinoy_freelancer on May 13 2016, 12:41 AM

-- edited by pinoy_freelancer on May 13 2016, 12:41 AM
  • @pinoy_freelancer
    Exactly. Yung suggested PSU talaga dapat is 620W kaso wala na dito sa shop. Province kasi ako eh. I'm actually down to two choices: Tier 4 - 750W (Corsair CX750M) vs Tier 2 - 850W. Though mas mahal ng 900php yung 850W, I think it's worth the investment. I also need to protect my rig so I need a durable PSU.

Well if it's a choice between Corsair CX750M and Seasonic M12II EVO 850 then of course go with Seasonic hehe :-)

But in case other Seasonic models are available, Seasonic G-650 or Seasonic X-650 are also good choices for your build and cost almost the same as the M12II EVO 850 :-)
  • may sfx na psu bang generic lang yung mura?
  • mga magkano ba ang dapat ilagay sa budget para sa psu?
  • mga magkano ba ang dapat ilagay sa budget para sa psu?

specs po muna ng psu because that will define the cost of the psu that you are going to buy...
  • Depend on spec talaga ang pag kuha ng PSU
  • pag wala kang idea sa PSU na gagamitin mo use this calculator.

mostly mga latest generation builds eh kahit 620watts na true rated kayang kaya na. unless mag SLI/Crossfire ka

http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator
  • Question po para sa mga naka aio liquid cooling, ilang watts po ba yung madagdag pag nag aio ako? bale pump,daiator at isang fan lang gamitin ko, 300watts kasi yun psu ko sa sg05, tas naka amd a8 7600, 4x4 ddr3 rams at isang ssd..kaya po kaya?
  • ^

input mo device mo para malaman mo.

http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator
  • Hi guys magbubuo po ako ng gaming rig, okay po ba yung seasonic M12II Evo 620watts 80+ Bronze full modular?

eto po yung mga plans ko na bilhin na specs.
    INTEL G4400
    ASUS HI70 PRO GAMING
    DDR4 8GB 2400 Corsair Vengeance LPX CL14
    Coolermaster K350 USB 3.0 Clear Side Window Edition
  • Hinge lang po sana ako ng advice kung anong best PSU ang pwede sa set up ko TIA
    you can give me 2 options sana isang mura isang mahal para me choices

Specs below

CPU: A10-7850 3.7 ghz
    Mobo: MSI A88XM-E35 V2
    Ram: Kingston HyperX Fury 8gb DDR3 1600
    ODD: ASUS
    HDD:Western Black 1Tb 7400 rpm
    GPU:Palit GTX 750 ti 2gb

Thanks
  • Hi guys magbubuo po ako ng gaming rig, okay po ba yung seasonic M12II Evo 620watts 80+ Bronze full modular?

eto po yung mga plans ko na bilhin na specs.
    INTEL G4400
    ASUS HI70 PRO GAMING
    DDR4 8GB 2400 Corsair Vengeance LPX CL14
    Coolermaster K350 USB 3.0 Clear Side Window Edition

Oks yan but you have not indicated your video card yet...

Hinge lang po sana ako ng advice kung anong best PSU ang pwede sa set up ko TIA

Specs below

Thanks

1. M12II Evo 620watts 80+ Bronze full modular
    2. Higher model than number 1
  • @glenn2k3, oops forgot to mention my videocard.

baka ang kuhanin ko ay GTX 750 TI or GTX 960 4GB lang. kaya kaya nung PSU ?:)
  • @jstyle
    Hinge lang po sana ako ng advice kung anong best PSU ang pwede sa set up ko TIA

Specs below

Sa murang option go with Seasonic ECO series SS-500BT (Php 2.1K). Take note lang na grey colored yung PSU casing at hindi sleeved ang cables pero maganda ang quality ng Seasonic ECO series at may 3 year warranty. Yung 500W model is already adequate for your build.

Yung "best buy" option mo is Seasonic S12II 520W (Php 2.6K) or kung gusto mo ng may allowance for upgrades... Seasonic S12II 620W (Php 3K) ang kunin mo. Black ang case ng Seasonic S12II series at flat ang cables siya so madali naman mag-cable management sa case. Also may 5 year warranty ang Seasonic S12II series so sulit narin sa price.

Kung nahihirapan ka sa cable management pwede din ang Seasonic M12II 520W EVO or M12II 620W EVO para modular ang cables (removable). Pero take note na mas mahal sila than the S12II series (Php 3K ~ Php 3.6K).

Hindi na ako mag suggest ng mahal option kasi anything above Php 4K is overspending na para sa build mo. Gamitin mo nalang yung extra budget sa CPU cooler or pandagdag sa GPU upgrade :-)
  • Guys, patulong kung ano pwede PSU para sa R9 390 Xfire config on Skylake CPU/1151Mobo
  • @epmojado

Kung yung dual R9 390's mo hindi overclocked and yung CPU hindi rin overclocked, pwede na yung Seasonic M12II 850W EVO PSU at the minimum. Pero kung overclocked yung R9 390's and yung CPU, go for Seasonic X-1050 at the minimum.

Yung Sapphire R9 390 NITRO nasa 260W - 280W per videocard, while ang K-series Skylake processor nasa 90W. Assuming hindi sila overclocked, 260Wx2 plus 90W equals 610 Watts. Ang PSU is most efficient at 50% load so 1200W PSU yung ideal.