Forum Topic

TPC HeadFi Group (No Trading, mention of Seller/Shop Name)

• Mga master good pm

Been out of the forums for quite a while (and medyo masaya na din sa Soundmagic ES18 in ears and Ipod Classic 5.5 combo na nasa akin). makikupdate lang sana sa mga latest kings of budgets sa ngayon

1. What is the Best budget in ear for 2018 (so far) - I have had experience with Creative EP, CX300, PL11 and ES18 and so far, swak ang ES18 and PL11 sa akin. sila pa rin ba ang bang for the buck for general listening with just the right amount of bass? looking for something sana na available locally :)

2. Coming from Ipod Classic 5.5 (one of the last gens na may wolfson dac ata), ano mairerecommend nyo na better sounding players for 256 to 320 kbps mp3s and yung madaling magmanage ng files/playlist?
  • @black
    Sorry, akala ko sikat na sikat na siya. Mejo hindi pala mataas ang viewership ng vids niya kung iisipin. Anyway, may youtube channel siya sir. Z-Reviews. I've been subscribed to him since last year. He gives reviews on everything audiophile, and then some. To be fair, sabi niya, TH-X0 is boring. Nothing has been done to "modding" it to make it stand out.
  • In my observation, Zeos' tastes tends toward visceral impact and PRAT. And as a PRAT guy myself, the problem using it as a metric is inconsistency because your mood can greatly affect how you enjoy and follow the music. He also labeled the Shure 1540 as a boring headphone. I did not find that true through the years i owned it. He did not mention the MDR1000x as a boring headphone, but I own the mk2 and I think it is boring AF. Good thing tonally the mk2 is good thats why i am sticking to it.

Any subjective reviews are just that. Opinions. It is best to make your own than seek validation from a reviewer.
  • @ matcha

Hinda ba naghahanap ka ng balance dac/amp with pre-amp functionality? Available na ulet yung D7Xs, join na sa drop kapatid lols

• dumating din.
    parang ayaw ko ng benta yung isa tago ko nalang :)
  • ^ehem ehem haha.

@d3rrick
    Parang mas mixer na trip ko paps. I really want the versatility of it. Tsaka parang central station siya. I could connect several sources and funnel them to my monitors (HP and speakers)

• I was able to try the new HifiMan Sundara, Audeze LCD-2C, and the MrSpeakers Aeon Flow O. To my ears, here's how I'll rank them sound-wise based on my listening preferences:

1. Sundara
    2. Aeon Flow O
    3. LCD-2C

The Sundara seem to have improved over the HE-400i. Having owned the latter before, I can say that the Sundara offers a more refined and smooth sound. Usually when we say smooth sound, the treble isn't that pronounced, as if nakalubog siya sa mix. But with the Sundara, it is able to push the treble into the mix, allowing you to easily hear it without necessarily making it sound shrill/overbearing/fatiguing. This is opposed to the HE-560's treble, which just kicks you in the mouth from the get go. I was somehow disappointed with the LCD-2C since I thought the timbre of frequencies and instruments doesn't sound as natural as the Sundara and Aeon Flow. Plus lower and mid midrange sound muffled, perhaps due to the stout midbass.

I was able to try (finally!) the HifiMan RE2000. To cut the story short, all I can say is it certainly doesn't sound its asking price of USD2,000. Heck, I even wouldn't pay USD1,000 for it. Unrefined, too rough at the edges, hollowed-out midrange. I was expecting a lot more given its SRP and the hype surrounding it. I'd rather take the Beyerdynamic AKT8ie, thank you very much.
  • try lang ok talaga sa tenga tong hd6xx

<click here for link>
  • Mga master ok lang ba gumamit ng UPS sa mga dac at amp? Para sa Modi multibit at MD Cavalli Tube Hybrid.
    Frequent kasi sa location namin ang power interruption.
  • @jai

Thanks for the impressions. What amp/dac did you use to drive them?

I am curious about the LCD2C, if it will really sound like the pre-fazor LCD 2. No time to audition though.
  • @ jai

Improving kapatid yung build quality ng Hifiman. Halos pareho lang FR ng sundara over 400i except the minor difference on upper treble. Mukhang mas smooth nga sya over 400i.
  • @Lanvin

Thanks for the kind words bro! I used my Sony WM1A and my CypherLabs Duet amp. Considering that the Duet has a warm tilt, that may have further boosted the LCD2C's bass/lower midrange.

IIRC, the pre-fazor LCD2 hit harder but had a more natural midrange timbre. That said, I hooked that to a Chord Hugo 1 + Mass Kobo 404 combo.

@d3rrick

Yes kapatid! Laki ng pinagbago ng Sundara pagdating sa build quality. For me it felt beefier even than the HE-1000. That said, looking at the head-fi thread, parang hindi pa rin naayos yung shoddy build quality, and may isang user na mismong driver yung may problema. :'( isa pang knock against HifiMan is their ludicrous pricing strategy. Kahit na kating-kati na ako bumili ngayon, nakakaalangan kasi andun yung risk na by Black Friday ibagsak bigla yung presyo similar to what they did in previous years. Kaya baka around December na ako bibili hahahaha :P
  • Mga master ok lang ba gumamit ng UPS sa mga dac at amp? Para sa Modi multibit at MD Cavalli Tube Hybrid.
    Frequent kasi sa location namin ang power interruption.

Wala issue naman sir basta ang voltage ay parehas lang ng straight sa wall socket
  • @d3rrick

Yes kapatid! Laki ng pinagbago ng Sundara pagdating sa build quality. For me it felt beefier even than the HE-1000. That said, looking at the head-fi thread, parang hindi pa rin naayos yung shoddy build quality, and may isang user na mismong driver yung may problema. :'( isa pang knock against HifiMan is their ludicrous pricing strategy. Kahit na kating-kati na ako bumili ngayon, nakakaalangan kasi andun yung risk na by Black Friday ibagsak bigla yung presyo similar to what they did in previous years. Kaya baka around December na ako bibili hahahaha :P

Uu bro hintay hintay lang magandang deal. Ako naghihintay din eh, goal is to complete my desktop setup. Pagdating ba sa active speaker lalo na kung gagamitin sa TV, mas ok ba kung front or back yung placement ng port? I'm also debating if I should get speaker with aptx bluetooth (edifier or swan), or go with active monitor with ribbon tweeter on fully balance. Ganda kasi tunog ng ribbon tweeter, sobrang glassy heheh
  • @d3rrick

I think yung main benefit pag nasa front yung bass vent/port is that you can use active speakers kahit wala masyadong space sa likod (hence, the front port/vent), tapos kakalikot ka na lang sa likod nung compensation knobs (until now hindi ko siya alam gamitin dun sa Focal Alpha ko hahaha). That said, based on online reviews, there are quite a number of back-vented active speakers that sound good.

When I got my active speakers, it was a blind buy. I solely relied on online reviews (and feedback from friends who have some experience with Focal active speakers). Buti na lang maganda kinalabasan, after a few months of waiting for my order to arrive.

I think the sweet spot for active speakers would be 6.5" (woofer size). If you need more pronounced bass, get the 8" active monitors. :)

Ang main issue ko with BT active speakers is that they don't sound as good compared to a balanced-cabled setup. If you've got oodles of high-resolution audio files sayang lang pag ni-transmit via aptx bluetooth. :(
  • @ jai

Ok salamat kapatid sa feedback. I was initially planning on getting the Adam F5, ang gusto ko sa F5 nasa harap yung bass port. Ok sana eto since around 2+ feet from the wall yung magiging placement nya kung sakaling gagamitin ko as tv speaker. Then bigla ko nakita na may adam T7V (7 inch newer version) so mukhang mas sulit for a little bit more money. Kaya lang nasa likod ang bass port ng T7V so parang napa-isip ako kung disadvantage ba eto since I will be sitting around 7+ feet away from the speaker. Ang gusto ko sa Adam speakers (bukod sa ribbon tweater) ay yung bass can down to 39Hz which should be plenty for me. Available ang adam locally to my place so pwede siguro audition both. Spotify lang source ko, and I still like toying the idea of getting wireless speaker instead pero kumuha din kasi ako ng balance dac with pre-amp for my desktop so mas ok siguro kung mamaximize ko funtionality neto heheh
  • Good evening mga sir and mam. HIngi ako recommendation kung sino kaya mag repair ng samsung level on pro bluetooth headphone. ayaw tumunog ng isang side. brand new sya hindi na pwede isoli sa pinagbilhan. Maraming salamat sa sasagot
  • @d3rrick

Good luck kapatid sa iyong plans tumawid sa mundo ng speakers! To be very honest, mas nakakaadik magtingin-tingin ng mga speakers kaysa headphones/IEMs kasi you get so much value sa susunugin mong datung. For instance, yung Php50K na gagastusin mo for speakers, ang layo na ng mararating relative to what you can buy sa portable/desktop audio. Malakas makatanggal ng lason yang mga speakers hehehe :3

Yup, if you already have bought a DAC/amp with balanced out, go for wired speakers na. Mas dama mo yung benefits ng going full balanced with active speakers kaysa headphones/IEMs: much cleaner sound, vastly improved dynamic range, better instrument separation. :)
  • @ jai

Nagpunta ako GuitarCenter kanina, and was able to audition various monitors (JBL 305p/308p MK2, Yamaha HS5/HS7, Adam T5V/T7V, and some Mackie). Tama ka kapatid yung 5 inch version might not be enough to fill my living room so I might be gunning for at least the 7-inch. While 5-inch can sound loud, the 7-inch is more composed, full-bodied, and can easily fill a decent size living room. With around 8+ speakers I auditioned, na-inlove na ako sa adam T7V. Ibang-iba tunog ng ribbon tweeter (first time ko marinig ribbon tweeter), it's so glassy at textured that no headphone can match heheh. Excited to get one, abang lang magandang deal :)
  • Hi! ask ko lang kung san nakakabili ng quality earbuds? as in yung buds lang talaga.
  • @d3rrick

Good luck on your speakers plans kapatid! We're equally excited to see what you're going to end up with. :D

Pramis, last na talaga ito.. :P

The second photo's the reason why I sold my UM3X before in exchange for a pair of CIEMs: my left ear's got weird bends and using the same tip as the right earpiece results in channel imbalance. :P
  • Pramis, last na talaga ito.

Famous lat words.
  • Pramis, last na talaga ito.. :P

Isn't hi-fi audio a bottomless pit? :D
  • Mga sir saan pa ba makakabili locally ng brand new Sennheiser PX 100-II? Looking for a replacement sana sa old pair ko.

Ilang beses ko nang narinig yan sa ibang tao at nasabi ko na rin yan sa sarili ko... Pati na rin ke commander. HAHAHAHA

Ilang beses ko nang narinig yan sa ibang tao at nasabi ko na rin yan sa sarili ko... Pati na rin ke commander. HAHAHAHA
  • Hello! Pwede po mag tanong kung anong recommendes nyong earbuds na sakto budget konf 1.5k max? I will be using my S7 Edge as my DAP. I'm currently using VE Monk+ pero parang nakukulangan ako sa sounds nya.

Or di talaga ganun kaganda sound quality ng S7edge? XD

TIA
  • KZ ZSR 1.5k lang
  • @WinterLux - Your S7 may not be driving the VE Monks properly. Samsung phones are not really known for having good enough DACs, the S9 as far as I've been reading seems to be improving but still doesn't cut it with the best out there. I would recommend the V-sereis phones of LG and the G6 or HTC's M8, M9, and 10. Forget the U11.

I actually don't own VE Monks, earbuds are not my thing, I prefer in-ears more, but from what I've read VE Monks have been universally praised, and I think this is the first instance I've read a negative review on it. To VE Monk owners, are they harder to drive?
  • I actually don't own VE Monks, earbuds are not my thing, I prefer in-ears more, but from what I've read VE Monks have been universally praised, and I think this is the first instance I've read a negative review on it. To VE Monk owners, are they harder to drive?

Not really. It's 64ohms earbud, in my iphone it gets pretty loud at 75% volume in a quiet environment. Sa gym nakatodo volume since maingay, given that earbubs doesn't isolate well.