Forum Topic

What is a good durable brand ng servo type AVR in the market? Omni , Akari , Panther , Sieg , CDR King?

• Mga Master

Ano yung good pratice nyo when doing some maintenance to our beloved AVR (regardless of the brand)?
  • AFAIK, AVRs don't really need maintenance, especially relay-type ones. At the most, you might want to open it and clean out the dust. For servo AVRs, these have a moving arm (rotated by a servo motor) with a carbon brush that comes into contact with the toroidal autotransfomer. If the voltage in an area is bad enough that the arm rotates frequently (when compensating for the voltage fluctuations), it's possible to wear down the carbon brush, which looks like a block of graphite. These should be easy to replace as long as you can get the part from the manufacturer.

(Note moving arm rotated by a servo motor in the middle of the toroidal autotransformer. The carbon brush is hidden by the heatsink of the arm).
  • ^Peorth

Thanks Sur, I own a Samwon Servo AVR and just wondering why it's not making some mechanical sound any more when there's a sudden fluctuation of voltage. Will try to check this carbon brush just in case it's been worn out.

Thank you!
  • Ok ba secure? Mura kasi at wala na budget naubos sa rig
  • Na-aadjust pa ba output voltage ng ordinary relay type avr?

Nilipat ko from inverter ref to led tv at routers yun Meiji SRR-500 since maganda performance niya. Tapos yun luma pero mabigat na oldskul avr pang pc, yun ang inilagay ko sa inverter ref.

Napansin ko more than normal ang vibration niya after gamitin sa ref. And upon checking via digital multimeter (siguro mahigit 1 month na) nasa 264v na output niya. Dati ay stable sa 220-222v.
  • ^kurtskyTPC

ok din ang secure svc-1000 yan ang gamit ng rig ko. Constant 220v output from 236v input pero stable kasi kuryente sa amin bihira ko madinig gumalaw servo motor niya.
  • Na-aadjust pa ba output voltage ng ordinary relay type avr?

Well, hindi naman normally user-serviceable yung AVR, lalo na kung output voltage ang pinaguusapan. Kung may magaadjust ng voltage ng AVR dapat electrician na marunong mag-service ng AVR.
  • is 500watts na AVR enough for an inverter ref? sabi kasi ng iba kelangan daw 1000watts pag ref. eh inverter na yun parang sayang naman yun ganun ka laki.
  • @2lits17
    Inverter refrigerators starts gradually and does not need high inrush currents compared to non-inverter refrigerators which means that as long as your AVR has greater power capacity than your refrigerator, it's OK, NO need for 2 to 3x oversizing to accommodate inrush current. That's the advantage of inverter-type refrigerators. Also refer to your own refrigerator's manual for it's specific power requirements. Make sure about the difference on VA and Watts. An AVR with name for example SVC-1000W is not a 1000 Watts AVR, it's 1000VA AVR because AVR's capacity were measured in VA and not Watts.
    VA to Watts:

VA * Power Factor = Watts.
    Philippines standard power factor: 0.8

1000VA * 0.8 = 800W.
    When buying power tools, don't trust the salesperson, most of them only knows about selling, have your own research as much as possible or consult a reliable electrician.

-- edited by ggezboye on Jul 05 2019, 02:16 PM
  • @kurtskyTPC
    Bumili ka nung UPS hindi servo-AVR para sa PC.
    Reasons:
    1. Servo input voltage range typical: 160V to 250V. Input voltage outside range: Auto-shutdown. Correction speed: slow (mechanical).
    2. Power Supply (Seasonic M12ii) input voltage range: 100 - 240V. Voltage outside range: Auto-shutdown. Correction speed: not needed, inside that range is very well tolerable.
    3. UPS input voltage doesn't matter (I'm lazy, lol) because the battery kicks-in instantly on overvoltage, undervoltage or even on complete power black-out.

If you already have a UPS, then there's no need for AVR especially servo. Using a servo AVR solves nothing, since UPS already protects the PC. Best use-case for servo AVR were for inductive loads ref, aircons, electric fans, etc. Using solely servo AVR for your PC is the worst case because it will shutdown below 160V even though the switching PSU can tolerate down to 100V minimum.
  • good pm guys.

clarify ko lang

sa STEP DOWN transformer ( 220V down to 110V) rated at 1000W, pagkabit ko sa 110V slot nya, 1000W din max load na pwede?

pero if Auto Voltage Regulator rated at 1000VA, pagkabit ko sa 110V slot nya, 400W lang max load? ( 500VA x 0.8power factor = watts)

tama ba?
  • Post deleted #12238329
  • @ggezboye

What is your recommended brand of ups for Seasonic psu's according to experience? My previous Seasonic s12II 620w immediately shuts down when the FSP FP 800va kicks in battery mode. Removed discrete gpu just to be certain from overload issues. I tested that ups with our Smart tv and laptop and it was working fine unplugged from the AC. However about 2 weeks later my Samsung 40" led tv had 1 vertical line in the panel. Luckily it was still under warranty.

Good thing my buyer's psu is compatible with said ups. I can't recall what his psu was but it starts with a G (550w) but isn't seasonic.

I think we should have a certified list of compatible active pfc psu and simulated sine-wave ups in our forum.
  • @bootsector

Personally I would avoid using a simulated sine-wave / square-wave UPS unless you really... really need... protection against power outages or blackouts, like to save your work. At the peak of the simulated sine-wave / square-wave the cross voltage from the UPS can reach above 400 volts damaging the primary capacitor of the PSU.

For regions where the input AC voltage is 120 volts this is not an issue, but for regions where the input AC voltage is 220V - 240v then it becomes a problem.

In my experience using a good servo AVR is better for providing stable voltages to your PSU. In case of a brownout just let the the PC turn off and unplug your other peripherals. Make sure you set in the BIOS that the PC will not automatically start up when power comes back... or use a servo AVR with time-delay feature. In power outages, I think most of the damage comes when power comes back after a brownout and the resulting power surge can easily damage devices.

Of course using a servo-AVR is not a failsafe device and a bad servo-AVR that is providing too much voltage / too little voltage can also do the same long term damage to a PSU :-)
  • ^ I've never used a UPS in all the years I've had a desktop, and I've gone through several of them. Home users generally don't need to use a UPS unless power outages are common in their area or they have power fluctuations that are severe enough that AVRs cannot cope with them. Even those using their desktop at home as means of livelihood don't need really UPS for data protection as long they save frequently and have a sound backup strategy in place. True sine wave UPSes are just too expensive to be practical for most people, especially when you consider that you have to replace the batteries on a periodic basis.
  • Mga Sir since tagulan na siguradong magiging madalas ang brown-out ok po ba itong UPS na ito? US brand sya but I'm not sure kung goods sya >> Ups Awp Wise (AID2000) 2000va / 1200W ups

5,450 lang sya, so medyo abot kamay and bang for the buck compared to the known brands like APC.

Salamat in advance sa makakasagot
  • Mga Master

Kakauwi ko lang sa bahay and I noticed that my PC just restarted on it's own. Sabi ng tita ko nagkaroon ng brown-out temporarily (light flickering and black-out but bumalik yung kuryente suddenly - and she heard my AVR na parang "Uwak" daw XD). Naka-set na sa bios na hindi sya mag-on in case of sudden power-loss but it seems to me that it's not working.

Also, may power-on delay yung Samwon Servo AVR ko, and I think hindi sya nag work since dapat naka-shut down pa din yung PC ko right after that Brown-out.

In this case, possible po kaya na sira na yung AVR - and it's supplying dangerous amount of voltage (over or under), to my PSU and that my PC did not have enough time to react and did not execute a "stay turned-off after power-loss"?

Salamat in advance for the enlightenment mga Master.
  • Hi po sirs,

Current setup ko is:
    Outlet > Surge Protector Extension > AVR > (PC, TV, Speakers, etc.)

Medyo nakukulangan po ako ng plug, ask ko lang po if pwede ganito:
    Outlet > Surge Protector > AVR > (Surge Protector Extension or normal extension) > (PC, TV, Speakers, etc.)

Thank you
  • @Ryuzakil
    Kakauwi ko lang sa bahay and I noticed that my PC just restarted on it's own. Sabi ng tita ko nagkaroon ng brown-out temporarily (light flickering and black-out but bumalik yung kuryente suddenly - and she heard my AVR na parang "Uwak" daw XD). Naka-set na sa bios na hindi sya mag-on in case of sudden power-loss but it seems to me that it's not working.

Nangyari na sa setup ko ito before... a couple of times actually during the rainy season. Try mo itanong kung gaano katagal yung brownout, kung split-second lang ba or if 10 seconds or more.

Possible na hindi talaga nag brownout but nagkaroon ng power fluctuation sa bahay nila. Yung AC voltage dipped so low na yung lights ng bahay nag flicker or namatay, but may AC power parin yung electrical circuit. Yung tunog "uwak" ng AVR is most likely yung servo motor constantly compensating for the very low voltage, otherwise mag shutoff na siya.

Possible din na napaka-short ng brownout (like milliseconds lang) so hindi na nagkaroon ng chance yung PSU and AVR mag power off completely.

Yung problem kasi is yung PSU natin may enough charge / hold-up time to maintain power sa PC for a few milliseconds before completely shutting down. Especially kung ang PSU mo has a very high capacity like 750W and up. Then consider mo din yung mga PSU ngayon can sometimes operate at low voltages (even below 100v AC) so kahit may power fluctuation steady parin ang power niya.

Tingin ko hindi talaga nagkaroon ng chance yung PSU or AVR mo mag power off completely... dahil split-second lang ang brownout... or hindi talaga nag brownout but nag dip lang ang AC voltage to very levels, enough to turn off the lights.

In this case, possible po kaya na sira na yung AVR - and it's supplying dangerous amount of voltage (over or under), to my PSU and that my PC did not have enough time to react and did not execute a "stay turned-off after power-loss"?

Yung amount of voltage (over or under) can be checked by using a multimeter. Sometimes kailangan lang re-calibrate ang servo motor kapag hindi na tama yung voltage (undergo warranty).

Yung "stay turned-off after power-loss" pwede mo naman i-test with your PC. I turn off mo yung switch ng AVR or surge protector then turn it back on after a few seconds. Kung nakita mo na hindi nag work yung power-on delay ng AVR then alam mo may problema ang AVR. Also check mo din yung behavior ng PC kung hindi siya mag power-on / bootup once mawala ang AC current sa AVR.
  • @melbourne4

Current setup ko is:
    Outlet > Surge Protector Extension > AVR > (PC, TV, Speakers, etc.)

hindi ba dapat
    Outlet > AVR > Surge Protector Extension > (PC, TV, Speakers, etc.) ?
  • @sleepygeepy

Salamat sa Input Sir!

Try mo itanong kung gaano katagal yung brownout, kung split-second lang ba or if 10 seconds or more.

Sabi ng Tita ko, combination ng black and brown-out seconds lang daw. Also, nahuli ko na din, and seconds in between nga sya - not enough time for the Servo AVR to react and for the power-on delay to take effect. Sabi ng tita ko caused daw un ng may nagtatap ng kuryente sa amin XD

Then consider mo din yung mga PSU ngayon can sometimes operate at low voltages (even below 100v AC) so kahit may power fluctuation steady parin ang power niya.
    Sadly it caused my PC to reboot - which means nag black out and nag-karoon ulit ng power (seconds in between), and that hindi rin nagkaroon ng time yung bios setting (stay turned-off after power-loss) to take effect. Which I think could be dangerous since may nakapasok pa din kuryente - though I hope my PSU (Seasonic Prime Gold 760watts) protections have kicked in and still provided quality power to my PC. :(

Tingin ko hindi talaga nagkaroon ng chance yung PSU or AVR mo mag power off completely... dahil split-second lang ang brownout... or hindi talaga nag brownout but nag dip lang ang AC voltage to very levels, enough to turn off the lights

Yes, this is what happened. That's why nag-canvas na ako ng UPS this time due to these factors and I think those hoodlums that tap our line will not be resolved anytime soon. Sadly wala pa ata True Sine-wave na binebenta dito sa Pinas specially the Cyberpower brands.

I hope meron din similar thread for UPS naman to help those people wondering what to purchase when it comes to it. I think it's a good combination to use a Servo AVR together with a UPS.
  • maldol AVR ko more than 8 years na buhay pa din
  • hindi ba dapat
    Outlet > AVR > Surge Protector Extension > (PC, TV, Speakers, etc.) ?

Nope, the surge protector should be plugged into the wall mains, then the AVR after that so that it can protect the AVR from surges. If you put the surge suppressor after the AVR and a high voltage spike comes in, it will damage the AVR (which is NOT designed to compensate for very high voltage transients), and any excess voltage will only be then transferred to the surge suppressor after.
  • @RyuzakiL
    Sadly wala pa ata True Sine-wave na binebenta dito sa Pinas specially the Cyberpower brands.

Naglabas na si APC ng true sine wave UPS models for consumer use na similar in price range to Cyberpower (APC "SineWave" series):

- APC Back-UPS Pro BR1000MS <click here for link>
    - APC Back-UPS Pro BR1350MS <click here for link>
    - APC Back-UPS Pro BR1500MS <click here for link>

Yung cheapest model is BR1000MS at USD $195.99 so siguro mga Php 11K sa atin assuming same as US pricing. So far hindi ko pa nakita yung bagong APC SineWave models on sale dito sa Pinas, but I'm sure magiging available sila soon. Maganda naman ang support / distro presence ng APC sa atin so malay mo if you ask or inquire baka pwede i-order.

Dati kasi ang cheapest option available is APC SMT1000i na nasa Php 26K brand new. Although it is worth looking at refurbished units kasi mas mura ang price and pwede naman i-replace ang batteries. May seller dito of brand new and refurbished APC UPS na worth checking out kasi meron siyang true sine wave units.

I think it's a good combination to use a Servo AVR together with a UPS

Usually mga more expensive models of UPS may built-in AVR so hindi na kailangan. Gusto mo din kasi na mabilis yung reaction time when switching from AC power to UPS battery power. So adding a servo AVR in the chain might cause a few more milliseconds of delay and power off your PC.

Pwede mo gamitin ang servo AVR on other devices / peripherals like your speakers, printer, TV etc para hindi din extra load sa UPS.

-- edited by sleepygeepy on Aug 15 2019, 03:24 AM
  • Naglabas na si APC ng true sine wave UPS models for consumer use na similar in price range to Cyberpower (APC "SineWave" series):

- APC Back-UPS Pro BR1000MS <click here for link>
    - APC Back-UPS Pro BR1350MS <click here for link>
    - APC Back-UPS Pro BR1500MS <click here for link>

Nice find! Sana lumabas yan locally. Nagloloko na rin yung circuit board ng Cyberpower UPS ko after five years. Those would be the perfect replacement.

Nag inquire na ako sa Cyberpower at Vertiv para sa pure sine wave pero usually enterprise clients ang focus nila dito. Yung Cyberpower CP1500PFCLCD 22k na ang quote sa akin pero $249.95 lang sa US at 14.5K ang bili ko noon. Yung Vertiv Liebert Online UPS naman, less than 20K pero maingay ata yung fan niya.
  • Post deleted #12244970
  • @sleepygeepy

Wow Nice find Sir! I'll keep these in my mind when I have the funds na :)

Yung cheapest model is BR1000MS at USD $195.99 so siguro mga Php 11K sa atin assuming same as US pricing.

Yes, around 10-15k lang ang pwede kong ilaan na budge for it, as mag-upgrade pa ako ng Ram before the end of this year - baka ksi bigla nanamang tumaas yung price ng Ram XD

expensive models of UPS may built-in AVR so hindi na kailangan.

I see, then cge gamitin ko na lang sa TV and Speaker ko yung AVR if ever makapag purchase ako ng UPS.

Salamat sa input Sir!
  • @MrBungle

Yung Cyberpower CP1500PFCLCD 22k na ang quote sa akin pero $249.95 lang sa US at 14.5K ang bili ko noon.

Sir san ka po nabili pabulong naman. At yung napag-emailan ko 20k ang offer sa akin, samantalang 13k na lang sya website ni Cyberpower. Ang laki naman ng kickback nila sa 20k offer XD
  • That's the problem with our suppliers. Over the top mark-up nila. We should be regularly having bang for the buck UPS stocks like CyberPower PFC if not for the blown up prices.
  • Hi, ano ibig sabihin ng Continuous Motorized at Continuous Electronic sa spec sheet?
    Nakita ko nung binabasa ko product details ng Goldsouce AVR.