Forum Topic

The LCD Monitors Thread: Tips, Tricks, Tweaks, New Products and Reviews

• Mga sir how about 1080p 144hz+ na IPS anong mga meron dito sa atin?

Lots of choices in the 24 to 27" range. Search for "144" or "144Hz"
  • Kung puwede iyan eh di makabili ng 4K 60Hz tapos ibaba ko resolution to Full HD lang, eh di 240Hz na monitor refresh rate ko. :)

I mean yung resolution pwedeng ibaba but hindi na pwedeng itaas(pwede man but choppy) about sa refresh rate ganon din pwedeng ibaba for example 144hz-120hz-100hz-80hz

but kung native mo 144hz or 60hz hindi na pwede tumaas. Well pwedeng iOC but na try ko rin yan before may 60hz ako na oc ko ng 72hz pero minsan stutter na rin kahit na oc mo monitor mo. Yung mga latest monitor like pg279q,pg348q etc design sila para iOC kaya smooth pa rin. May mga ibang korean monitor na oc nila ng mataas smooth pa rin.

-- edited by vladz17 on Aug 16 2017, 08:53 AM
  • I mean yung resolution pwedeng ibaba but hindi na pwedeng itaas(pwede man but choppy) about sa refresh rate ganon din pwedeng ibaba for example 144hz-120hz-100hz-80hz

but kung native mo 144hz or 60hz hindi na pwede tumaas. Well pwedeng iOC but na try ko rin yan before may 60hz ako na oc ko ng 72hz pero minsan stutter na rin kahit na oc mo monitor mo. Yung mga latest monitor like pg279q,pg348q etc design sila para iOC kaya smooth pa rin. May mga ibang korean monitor na oc nila ng mataas smooth pa rin.

I get what you mean. :) My statement above was actually a tongue in cheek statement. Kung ganon lang sanang kasimple ang refresh rate and resolution connection. :)
  • I mean yung resolution pwedeng ibaba but hindi na pwedeng itaas(pwede man but choppy) about sa refresh rate ganon din pwedeng ibaba for example 144hz-120hz-100hz-80hz

I get what you mean. :) My statement above was actually a tongue in cheek statement. Kung ganon lang sanang kasimple ang refresh rate and resolution connection. :)
  • Ano ba nag co cause ng ghosting? Is it the refresh rate? or response time? May factor din ba yung hardware na na-input sa monitor?(graphics card/processor). Nagreresearch ako sa google pero wala akong makitang sagot or hindi ako satisfied sa mga nakuha ko online.
  • Ano ba nag co cause ng ghosting? Is it the refresh rate? or response time? May factor din ba yung hardware na na-input sa monitor?(graphics card/processor). Nagreresearch ako sa google pero wala akong makitang sagot or hindi ako satisfied sa mga nakuha ko online.

It's actually a result of both the refresh rate and the response time. Check this very informative article under Response Time.

https://pcmonitors.info/articles/factors-affecting-pc-monitor-responsiveness/

Ghosting happens when the next pixel is rendered even before it's supposed to appear (limited by the refresh rate). The example there is typical of monitors with a 60Hz refresh with a 4ms pixel response time. What monitor manufacturers do to compensate is to introduce a function called overdrive/response time compensation/trace free (the term varies with the monitor manufacturer). But don't overdo it or you'll end up with the opposite which is "inverse ghosting". I hope that helps.
  • ^Thanks. Parang nabasa ko na din yan somewhere. So, the best way na pwedeng magawa sa monitor to minimize ghosting is to overclock the monitor's refresh rate. Kasi sa response time default na yun depende sa panel ng screen na gamit ng display mo. Yung mga lcd/led tv kahit mga 8ms or up yung response time walang ghosting due to its higher refresh rates.
  • Kung puwede iyan eh di makabili ng 4K 60Hz tapos ibaba ko resolution to Full HD lang, eh di 240Hz na monitor refresh rate ko. :)

Actually this might be possible with future monitors. Si Blur Busters are testing a new prototype monitor that is running at 4K 120Hz but can be set to run at 1080p 480Hz :-)

480 Hz Monitor Prototype Now at Blur Busters!
    <click here for link>
  • @in2yourjeans
    Mga sir how about 1080p 144hz+ na IPS anong mga meron dito sa atin?

None available unfortunately, 1440p ang minimum sa IPS na 144Hz. Your best option is to go with a 1080p 144Hz monitor using regular VA panel or Quantum Dot VA panel. Check out the Viewsonic XG3202-C which is using a regular VA panel or the Samsung C24FG70 which is using a Quantum Dot VA panel. I would recommend the Samsung kasi it's relatively affordable at Php 19K for a 24-incher.
  • @jeff_3429
    So, the best way na pwedeng magawa sa monitor to minimize ghosting is to overclock the monitor's refresh rate. Kasi sa response time default na yun depende sa panel ng screen na gamit ng display mo. Yung mga lcd/led tv kahit mga 8ms or up yung response time walang ghosting due to its higher refresh rates.

Actually yung ghosting is mostly due to the panel type (TN, VA, or IPS etc). Meron panels na mabagal ang pixels so yung transition niya from one color to the next is slow at nag re-result ng afterimages or ghosting. Basically the pixels cannot change color fast enough to match the refresh rate or motion on screen.

Think of it as an LED light bulb versus fluorescent light on how fast it can turn-on, then-off, then-on again. Yung LED light bulb can turn on-and-off at the fastest speeds so you get white-black-white in milliseconds. While yung fluorescent light takes a few more milliseconds to completely turn on and turn off so you still get a semi-white afterglow sa light even when it is turned off.

The best way to minimize ghosting is...

1. Get a monitor with a TN panel. TN panel monitors have the fastest pixel response times until OLED monitors become mainstream. The alternative is the old school CRT monitor hehe... but in terms of speed TN is faster than IPS, while IPS is same or slightly faster than VA. Although there are advances in panel technology like AHVA which is a fast IPS panel.

2. Get a monitor with a strobe backlight feature like ULMB. The strobing masks the ghosting effect of slower panels by flashing the backlight on-and-off quickly like a strobe light. But you need to maintain very fast consistent framerates like 120 fps - 144 fps to match the monitor refresh rate or the speed of the backlight flashing.

3. Most gaming monitors have an overdrive feature which overclocks the panel so it can force the pixels to switch colors faster. However the downside to this is if the overdrive setting is too aggressive, it will result in inverse ghosting or black trailing shadows.

-- edited by sleepygeepy on Aug 17 2017, 03:47 PM
  • Actually this might be possible with future monitors. Si Blur Busters are testing a new prototype monitor that is running at 4K 120Hz but can be set to run at 1080p 480Hz :-)

480 Hz Monitor Prototype Now at Blur Busters!
    <click here for link>

Cool. Actually my comment came from Linus' review of the PG258Q, which is a 240Hz Full HDmonitor. Display port 1.2 enabled 4K at 60Hz which if you do ratio:proportion by dividing 4K into 4 (Full HD) and then multiplying 60Hz by the same amount (240Hz), you come up with the same pixel throughput.

That 4K 120Hz is yummy, but at what cost, I wonder...

Update:

No need to wonder. The pre-assembled kit costs $815 for the 28" panel version.

-- edited by mysterio on Aug 17 2017, 03:49 PM
  • +1 on the Viewsonic XG3202-C 1080p 144Hz. Lalo ko na adik sa PUBG lol!
  • while IPS is same or slightly faster than VA. Although there are advances in panel technology like AHVA which is a fast IPS panel.
    @sleepy
    Thanks. Me nabasa naman akong article na mas mabilis daw VA kesa sa IPS. VA daw ang solution sa viewing angle ni TN and slower response time ni IPS compared to TN. Factor din ba yung input sa monitor?(GPU/iGPU)

-- edited by jeff_3429 on Aug 17 2017, 04:23 PM
  • @jeff_3429
    Thanks. Me nabasa naman akong article na mas mabilis daw VA kesa sa IPS. VA daw ang solution sa viewing angle ni TN and slower response time ni IPS compared to TN.

Yes parang naging middle-ground yung VA between TN and IPS at the time na yung gaming monitors were exclusively TN panel based at 120Hz. But yung mga bagong gaming monitors ngayon that use updated IPS or VA panels are pretty decent narin in terms of speed / pixel response times.

Yung napansin ko na recent trend is mas bumibilis ang IPS dahil sa advances in tech ni AU Optronics with their AHVA panel. So nauso bigla mga 165Hz IPS gaming monitors from ASUS, Acer, and Viewsonic.

Pero baka next year yung focus ata is more on VA kasi mas affordable siya produce and mas bagay siya sa curved screens. Yung parating na 200Hz Ultrawide ni ASUS is based on a VA panel with 3440x1440 resolution. To eliminate ghosting at that refresh rate, dapat nasa 2.5 ms yung pixel response time which is close to the speed of a TN panel already :-)

Factor din ba yung input sa monitor?(GPU/iGPU)

Hindi ako sure kung factor siya sa ghosting ng panel. Pero usually yung input interface (DVI, HDMI, Displayport) nag determine kung ilang pixels kaya i-display ng monitor at a certain refresh rate. So for example kung 1080p at 120Hz, kaya ng bandwidth ng HDMI interface. To go faster or higher resolution, tulad ng 1080p@144Hz or 1440p@100Hz kailangan na ng DisplayPort connection. But in general mas ok na gamitin ang DisplayPort sa mga high refresh rate monitors :-)

-- edited by sleepygeepy on Aug 17 2017, 04:49 PM
  • Very nice article from Blur Busters on the benefits of very high refresh rates :-)

Test Results: 4K 120 Hz Display with bonus 1080p 240 Hz & 540p 480 Hz Modes
    <click here for link>

• sa mga gusto ng added info kay Infini M7 1440p 144hz 1ms ng DQ. nag ask ako sa kanila, TN panel siya. 1 year store warranty and 1 year manufcaturer warranty so total of 2 years warranty daw. Pwede na sigurong sumugal sa tingin nyo? hehehe
  • I see so wala pa po palang naka 1080p@144hz dito na nag try na gawing 1440p and see if 144hz parin siya.

I am using Asus VX279H Native 1080p@60hz on desktop

Games auto detect the custom resolution hence I'm using 2560x1440p@60 when playing.

-- edited by krpk on Aug 19 2017, 10:26 AM
  • Ok, I researched on your question and it appear there are a few ways to do it. One is called Ordered Grid Super Sampling Anti Aliasing or OGSSAA. It can force your monitor to display a higher resolution than what your monitor supports. It is however, considered to be the same as overclocking your monitor and as such, there is an inherent risk of damaging your display. I guess you can afford to replace your VX279H if it does break.

There is the Nvidia method called DSR or Dynamic Super Resolution and AMDs called VSR or Virtual Super Resolution. Basically it does the same thing as OGSSAA and also shares another downside to both methods which is a hit in frame rate, as streaming the huge number of pixels and then downsampling them to fit your monitor takes a lot of computing power.

Improve Visual Quality by Running your Monitor at a Non-Native Resolution

DSR vs other Anti-Aliasing

Interesting concept although if there is a risk to my monitor I would rather leave it off the table.

-- edited by mysterio on Aug 19 2017, 04:32 PM
  • any suggestion for the best bang for the buck monitor with a 10K budget? TIA

From your budget, there are some good choices. What's your primary use case?

Largest
    BenQ 28in GC2870H 28W LED Monitor - PHP 8600
    Freesync - Curved
    Samsung LC24F390FHEXXP 23.5 Curve Screen VGA/HDMI Black - PHP 9700
    1ms Response time
    BenQ Zowie 24 inch RL2455 Wide Led Monitor - PHP 8200
    Ultrawide IPS
    LG 25UM58 25 inch UltraWide IPS LED hdmi - PHP 9950

These are just a sample. Check the search link below (I've selected 7000-10000, brand new with shop warranty):

<click here for link>

-- edited by mysterio on Aug 19 2017, 06:32 PM

Also take a look at the Viewsonic VX2573-SHW for Php 10K. The monitor has a large 25-inch screen with 1920x1080 resolution and is using an AH-IPS panel. Also comes with built-in speakers and it looks stylish as well (depending on your taste). Should be good as an all-around monitor :-)
  • From your budget, there are some good choices. What's your primary use case?

@mysterio, thanks for the suggestions. It ain't gonna be for gaming (would you believe?). It's gonna be used primarily for work (browsing and word processing) and probably for watching films. boring, ain't it? LOL
  • @sleepygeepy, damn that Viewsonic VX2573-SHW looks good... now, if I can only find a keyboard-mouse combo that came with those iMacs, i'll be all set
  • @mysterio, thanks for the suggestions. It ain't gonna be for gaming (would you believe?). It's gonna be used primarily for work (browsing and word processing) and probably for watching films. boring, ain't it? LOL

Well it was either gaming or productivity. :) Well the biggest would probably be your best option, the BenQ 28". It has respectable viewing angles being a VA (not the best like IPS but better than TN) so perfect for sharing the movie with others if need be. :)
  • @the_norseman1015
    now, if I can only find a keyboard-mouse combo that came with those iMacs, i'll be all set

If you need a matching keyboard and mouse... take a look at the Magicforce Smart mechanical keyboard which comes in a silver / aluminum frame and white keycaps.

For the mouse, any white mouse will do I guess... but if you want a decent gaming mouse take a look at the Logitech G Pro / Logitech G102 which has a white variant. Steelseries Rival 300 and Rival 100 have white variants too.

Also try looking for the Microsoft Surface KB and mouse set, but not sure if it is available locally:

-- edited by sleepygeepy on Aug 19 2017, 08:40 PM
  • @mysterio

Yes sir those are the ways to change the native resolution of the monitors, I'm using the first one that you gave. The risk is there but since my monitor do have a dead pixel already, it's time to fully use it while it last.

I'm just wondering and want to confirm how it affect the monitor with over 100hz. Still searching the net for more answers. I appreciate your help and sorry for the trouble.

--

Still waiting for the reviews of the "other" brand 144hz monitors that are locally available :D
  • Why are 1440p monitors more expensive than 144hz ones?

Could you be more specific regarding that statement? There are a lot of monitors in the market at widely varying price points.

Actually there are some 144Hz monitors that are more expensive than 1440p monitors hehe. You need to compare prices between monitors with the same panel size and resolution, like for example:

- 27-inch 1440p monitor with 60Hz refresh rate versus 27-inch 1440p monitor with 144Hz refresh rate
    - 24-inch 1080p monitor with 60Hz refresh rate versus 24-inch 1080p monitor with 144Hz refresh rate

... and so on :-)
  • Actually there are some 144Hz monitors that are more expensive than 1440p monitors hehe. You need to compare prices between monitors with the same panel size and resolution, like for example:

- 27-inch 1440p monitor with 60Hz refresh rate versus 27-inch 1440p monitor with 144Hz refresh rate
    - 24-inch 1080p monitor with 60Hz refresh rate versus 24-inch 1080p monitor with 144Hz refresh rate

... and so on :-)

You forgot to include panel type, IPS or VA or TN. Plus if any adaptive sync technology, G-Sync, Freesync or None. That would increase the complexity of comparison nine-fold (3 raised to 2). =)