Forum Topic

The LCD Monitors Thread: Tips, Tricks, Tweaks, New Products and Reviews

• And here's a review from Rock Paper Shotgun:

<click here for link>

“Good lord, I’ve just spent £2300 on this thing, why doesn’t it just all work?”

Fun times....
  • The PG27UQ is already available in d*t*b*tz

For 185K!

Wtf 185k! Para lang sa monitor na may deadpixel lol. But serious i think masyadong mahal. Mas ok pa siguro yung UW na 200hz
  • At that price range, bili ka nalang ng magandang OLED TV :-)
  • Its $2000 in the us but here its 185k or around $3600

Anyway for the same money you can get an X34/PG348Q and an oled tv
  • Yan ang hirap dito sa Pinas. Masyado mataas markup :(
  • At that price range, bili ka nalang ng magandang OLED TV :-)

Correct, yung LG B7 OLED na 55" na nakuha ko recently sa ebay asa 50k nga lang nung nagsale.
  • May kilala ba kayong nagcacalibrate ng monitor? Masyado kasing mahal kapag bumili ng spyder5 tapos once lang gagamitin.
  • Samsung 2018 QLED TVs update adds FreeSync, but limits refresh rates
    <click here for link>
    "Although Samsung does sell FreeSync TVs, they are not something its entire range typically supports. As of firmware update 1103 though, it appears that more of its lineup than ever can now make use of it. According to Rtings, Samsung’s QLED Q6FN, Q7FN, Q8FN, Q9FN, and NU8000 all now support FreeSync technology. If you have your AMD graphics-equipped PC or an Xbox One S or X hooked up to one of those TVs, you should now be able to enjoy FreeSync.

To make use of the new FreeSync mode, you’ll need to head into the TV’s settings menu, followed by General, External Device Manager, Game Mode Settings and ultimately, select “FreeSync.” Set it to “On.” Options include “Ultimate,” which has a range of 48-120Hz, while “Basic,” supports 90-120Hz.

Digital Trends reached out to Samsung to confirm supported resolutions and refresh rates. The affected TVs supported 1,920 x 1,080 at 120Hz, 2,560 x 1,440p at 120Hz, and 3,840 x 2,160 at 60Hz."

FreeSync feature at 6:49

-- edited by sleepygeepy on Jun 22 2018, 12:46 AM
  • sulit ba ang x34p for productivity and light gaming?
  • Yes, as long as hinde graphics design yan. Common issue is may yellowish tint on whites yung right side sa screen, make sure you test it out before purchasing. Pa feedback din dito if bbile na kayo, im planning to buy this month end.
  • ^ mostly web development lang gagawin ko sa monitor since sa bahay lang ako ng wowork. panong testing ang gagawin sir? nextweek na ako bibili nakapag order na kasi ako isa sa mga tpc seller.
  • ^ mostly web development lang gagawin ko sa monitor since sa bahay lang ako ng wowork. panong testing ang gagawin sir? nextweek na ako bibili nakapag order na kasi ako isa sa mga tpc seller.

Look at pages with a lot of white content, or maximize windows explorer from top to bottom and left to right the whites should be uniform across the entire screen but if you have to ask how to test them im fairly certain hinde mo ma notice yung yellow tint ( no offense intended )
  • May kilala ba kayong nagcacalibrate ng monitor? Masyado kasing mahal kapag bumili ng spyder5 tapos once lang gagamitin.

There's one person here in TPC charging P500 for calibration service (home/meetup) using a Spyder5PRO+.

-- edited by Peorth on Jun 23 2018, 12:46 AM
  • Kung games ba gagamitin monitor maganda rin bang icalibrate?

-- edited by vladz17 on Jun 22 2018, 10:52 PM
  • ^You can do calibration of a monitor for any purpose, but generally it's only done for color-critical work. For example, professional photographers doing image post-processing must use a color-accurate monitor so that the colors in the printed pictures will match with that shown in the monitor. If you're not doing any color-critical work but want some kind of calibration, you can use software calibration such as the one built in with Windows 10. This kind of calibration is limited because of the subjectivity of how a person perceives colors, so true calibration requires a hardware colorimeter.

Personally, I do occasional Photoshop work and work with a lot of Powerpoint presentations, so I got a Dell Ultrasharp U2715H (factory-calibrated with good color accuracy) when I built my rig. I also have an Aorus Xtreme GTX 1080 Ti to power it, despite not being a gaming monitor, for the occasional first person shooter games I like to play. :-D
  • For non-color critical work you can also download and apply the ICC profiles created by review sites. What I do is download a couple of ICC profiles, apply the one I think looks best, and then fine tune the settings from there.

Of course it is not color accurate and I'm just "eyeballing" the screen hehe... but I think it is a lot better than if I adjust the gamma and color settings by hand which may take hours of trial and error :-)

Some monitors also come factory calibrated out of the box and when you open the monitor the first time, the colors look pretty good already.
  • ok po ba to mga sir ASUS VG278Q?

144hz galing po ako sa lumang samsung p2270 malaki po ba difference? gtx 1060 6gb lang po ang gpu ko eh
  • For non-color critical work you can also download and apply the ICC profiles created by review sites. What I do is download a couple of ICC profiles, apply the one I think looks best, and then fine tune the settings from there.

Yup, for example TFT Central has a database of ICC profiles, it can be found here:

<click here for link>
  • Planning to replace my old 23" LG Monitor, im torn between buying a cheap 27" 1080P monitor or a 27" Ultra wide one.. budget ranges between 15k-20k. i dont have a Beefy system (Not yet) but currently i im playing more PS4 games and the occasional browsing/Dota2 sessions on PC

any suggestions po?
  • Any ultrawide, 144, IPS, 2560 x 1080 monitors in the Philippines?
  • anyone using aoc e1659 usb monitor? ok ba siya for adhoc dual screen setup?
  • kamusta po sa mga naka Acer GN246HL
  • @bambamz
    Planning to replace my old 23" LG Monitor, im torn between buying a cheap 27" 1080P monitor or a 27" Ultra wide one.. budget ranges between 15k-20k. i dont have a Beefy system (Not yet) but currently i im playing more PS4 games and the occasional browsing/Dota2 sessions on PC

any suggestions po?

If you are using your PC monitor mostly for PS4 gaming, my suggestion is stick with a regular 16:9 monitor for now. I don't think the PS4 has support for 21:9 or ultrawide aspect ratio and I'm not sure how that will turn out. An ultrawide would be great for watching movies or playing PC games that support the format.

My suggestion is go with a bigger screen like 27-inches or larger, assuming you have a big enough desk and you have enough viewing distance between you and the monitor. For console gaming, a bigger screen would be nice since it allows you to kick back and play in a relaxed position. Also if you play two-player games a larger screen would give better viewing angles. Just take note that a screen that is too large might not be good for DOTA2 but browsing should be OK since the fonts are easier to read.

Another option is to go with a 144Hz monitor since the higher refresh rate / low input lag will benefit DOTA2 and other PC games if you plan to upgrade your PC. There is a possibility that future consoles might support 120 fps framerates at 1080p so they will benefit from a high refresh rate monitor too.

With your budget I would look at these monitors:

Php 12,990 = LG 27MP68VQ (27-inches, 1920x1080, flat IPS panel, 60Hz, FreeSync)
    Php 16,950 = Viewsonic XG2701 (27-inches, 1920x1080, flat TN panel, 144Hz, FreeSync)
    Php 17,300 = HKC M27G1Q (27-inches, 2560x1440, curved VA panel, 144Hz, FreeSync) *
    Php 17,400 = Viewsonic VX3276-2K-MHD (32-inches, 2560x1440, flat IPS panel, 60Hz) *
    Php 21,500 = MSI OPTIX G27C2 (27-inches, 1920x1080, curved VA panel, 144Hz, FreeSync)
    Php 22,000 = Viewsonic XG3202-C (32-inches, 1920x1080, curved VA panel, 144Hz, FreeSync)

* Take note that 2560x1440 might not be good for PS4 since the monitor will upscale the 1080p image to 1440p. DOTA2 and browsing should be fine though.

-- edited by sleepygeepy on Jun 27 2018, 12:50 AM
  • @sleepygeepy

Wow thanks alot sir, i have been eyeing talaga ung 32" inch monitors ng Viewsonic and BenQ. I can probably stretch my budget to 23 if needes but i didnt know about ung sinabi nyu na i upscale ng monitor ung 1080p image to 1440p which doesnt sound good. Ive hearsld kc na pixelated daw kapag 32" tapos 1080p lang so i hope may test units sa pupuntahan ko bukas.. I mean how bad can it be?
  • @bambamz

I feel yung 32-inches is too big a screen size for 1920x1080 resolution. You have to treat the monitor more like a TV where your viewing distance should be at least 3-feet to 4-feet away. Kung gagamitin mo siya mostly as a gaming screen for PS4, PC games, or movies then OK lang. Just make sure you view the monitor at a far enough distance para hindi ka overwhelmed sa laki ng screen.

Regarding pixelation, hindi naman siguro obvious ang individual pixels unless you are positioned really close to the monitor (like a foot away). As long as you keep the optimum distance, it will just look like a regular 1080p monitor. Browsing should be fine but reading articles for long periods might feel awkward kasi malayo ang screen and your eyes are focusing on text much farther than usual. Anyway iba-iba din ang preferences natin, so mas maganda siguro kung view mo siya in person to get a better idea. You can go to the shop and test a unit or try visiting an appliance store with 32-inch 1080p HDTV's.

For a 32-inch monitor I think yung ideal monitor for you is one with 4K resolution (3840x2160). PS4 and PS4 Pro support 4K resolution and can downscale to 1080p if needed. Mas maganda ang downscaling from 4K to 1080p kasi even ang ratio ng pixels (4:1) so the 1080p image will still look pretty decent. So while gaming you can switch back and forth from 4K to 1080p depending on the performance of your PS4 console or PC. Then when you use the monitor for browsing, reading, or watching movies you can use the default 4K resolution.

Yung monitors with 2560x1440 resolution are really intended for PC use only. Not many devices can support the PC-centric 1440p resolution so using a 1440p monitor for watching BluRay movies or playing console games might look bad kasi they only support 1080p or 4K. Siguro you can try bringing your PS4 along and see kung acceptable sayo ang upscaled image from 1080p to 1440p. But I think ang magiging result is either soft and blurry ang image or hindi tama ang proportions.

Anyway to make things simple...

- If you will stick with 1080p, go for a 27-inch or 28-inch monitor. A 32-inch monitor is fine as long as you are comfortable viewing the monitor at a farther distance.

- If you want a 32-inch monitor, try to get one with 4K resolution. 4K works well with console games, PC games, and browsing at shorter viewing distances (like on a desk). If the 4K resolution is too much for your console or PC, you can play in 1080p mode and the image quality is still pretty decent.

- If you want to try a 1440p monitor, then I recommend you only use the monitor with your PC. Browsing and playing PC games are perfectly fine on 1440p but with PS4 the image will be upscaled and have poor image quality.
  • hi peeps whats your take dun sa bagong spectre pro na monitors ng easy pc?

24 in,
    60 hz
    6250?
  • ^

kung IPS yan okay na yan.
  • Regarding spectre, unknown brand for me so baka mahirap i-service after warranty. But if you think of it as a "disposable" well mura siya talaga. I suggest being thorough with your inspection kung balak mo siya bilhin.
  • for everyone's info,

18.5-inch LED monitor SP19B - Php 3,500
    22-inch LED IPS Slim monitor SP22SL-IPS - Php 5,350
    24-inch LED IPS Zero-Bezel monitor SP24SL-IPS - Php 6,250
    27-inch LED IPS Zero-Bezel monitor SP27SZ-IPS - Php 8,300

can be bought from easy pc. meron mga review sa youtube naman.
  • hi peeps whats your take dun sa bagong spectre pro na monitors ng easy pc?

The 27-inch model looks like a bang-for-buck deal at Php 8.3K especially if IPS ang panel niya and decent ang quality. I don't think may available na 27-inch IPS monitor at that price range. The closest I can think of is the BenQ GC2870H but that monitor uses a VA panel.

Yung 22-inch and 24-inch models need more convincing at those prices. Meron kasing locally available na 22-inch IPS monitors from LG and Viewsonic at the same price range. Samsung also has a FreeSync capable 24-inch IPS monitor for below Php 7K.