Forum Topic

Air-Cooled Overclockers Thread

• back when active pa kami we have a friend na using this but 990fx. much better to switch to ryzen instead of buying ah 990fx.
  • What puzzles me is that the MOSFETs in this 3+1 VRM modules survives all the punishment that I give. The engineers might have used FETs that are rated much higher than what is required to design a 95W motherboard. And I noticed that the VRM uses three tall output capacitors in each phase thus a total of 9 tall output capacitors. That is why even if I am hammering the VRM by running the 1100T OCed at 3.6GHz and NB at 2.8GHz and this is at 1.425V Vcore, the motherboard can still handle it without blowing the FETs. I guess the heatsinks that I attached seem to be working just fine to dissipate the heat. Asrocks engineers made a good decision to use such very robust FETs. Unlike those used in most MSI boards that easily crap out.
  • @kernel_panic

Yes that is what I intend to do, to upgrade to Ryzen when I already have the budget. But this time I will not cheap out on the motherboard and make sure that I get one which can handle overclocking. I am looking at something not lower than a beefy AB350 or even an X370 chipset.
  • @ftdecastro
    I know I can easily run my 1100T up to 4GHz using an enthusiast board. But there are several things that will limit me, my casing is only matx, and my PSU is not up to the task. So that would mean I will have to spend around 12k more to get a new mobo, full atx case and at least 650W true power PSU. All that for a performance that is not even close to what Ryzen can provide at the same price range (look at Ryzen 3 1200 OCed). Not to mension that my memory would not be able to run at the max speed that the board can support. So I decided to just keep everything I have and settle for a max of 3.6GHz OC on a cheap board modified with proper cooling and wait for my chance to upgrade to Ryzen and build everything from scratch.

If you don't want to spend too much on your setup now, you can try looking for the following surplus AM3 motherboards here in TipidPC:

Php 1,400 = ASUS M4A88TD-EVO (best pick)
    Php 1,400 = Gigabyte GA-880GM-USB3L
    Php 1,400 = ASUS M4A785T-M

I think these are the best motherboards available and should be a good match for your Phenom II X6. Most of them are using beefier 4+1 phase VRM's, have solid capacitors, and come in Micro-ATX form factor. Just pick a motherboard from the shop that is in relatively good shape.

BTW, try looking for the ASUS M4A88TD-EVO because that board uses a 8+2 phase VRM with heatsinks and can support 140W TDP processors. I think that board is worth buying even if it means getting an affordable ATX case like Tecware or Sharkoon.

ASUS M4A88TD-EVO

For your PSU, look for the Owltech Seasonic G-650's being sold here for Php 2000. I think there are still a couple of units available.

If you go with a surplus motherboard and Owltech PSU, you will only spend Php 3,400 overall which is not so bad.

-- edited by sleepygeepy on Sep 07 2017, 02:46 PM
  • @sleepygeepy

Thanks for the great recommendation. I will try searching for those in the IFS section.
  • @sleepy

ok din bang pang OC ang asrock 880gm-le? balak ko kasi i-OC ung phenom x6 1605t ko. will use deepcool beta 200st cooler at antec 450w psu :)
  • Ah now I remember I already had fried one ASUS M4A785T-M using this processor. Didn't last much longer than this asrock board that I am currently using. I also remember that I have come across one IFS for GA-880GM-USB3L and found it unattractive due to 2 sata ports that are going to be blocked by the graphics card. The only board that is worth purchasing is the ASUS M4A88TD-EVO (best pick) and I will have to find a good ATX case for it. Unfortunately there is currently no available ASUS M4A88TD-EVO in the IFS section. I'll just have to wait until someone decides to sell his.
  • @PopoyPalaboy
    ok din bang pang OC ang asrock 880gm-le? balak ko kasi i-OC ung phenom x6 1605t ko. will use deepcool beta 200st cooler at antec 450w psu :)

Parang hindi yata recommended sir mag overclock ng Phenom II X6 sa ASRock 880GM-LE. Medyo mahina kasi ang VRM's niya (3+1 phase) at walang heatsinks. Siguro kung mild overclock pwede pa, pero I really don't recommend it at baka mag shutdown or mag throttle yung CPU.

Try mo sir hanapin kung available itong motherboards sa mga surplus shops. May support kasi sila for 140W TDP Phenom II processors so baka mas OK sila for overclocking Phenom II X6 1065T.

ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO (8+2 phase VRM with heatsink, 8-pin power, solid caps )
    ASRock 870iCafe (4+1 phase VRM with heatsink, 8-pin power, solid caps)
    ASRock 770iCafe (4+1 phase VRM with heatsink, 8-pin power, solid caps)
    ASUS M4A87T (4+1 phase VRM, solid caps)
    ASUS M4A77TD (4+1 phase VRM, solid caps)

BTW dito ko nakita for sale yung ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO >> <click here for link>. Try mo din sir mag inquire sa ibang shops baka available din kasi yung above mentioned na surplus motherboards.
  • @sleepygeepy

noted sir! thank you
  • @PopoyPalaboy

Meron pa kong isang nakita sa IFS. mas mahal lang ng P300.

<click here for link>