Forum Topic

Raspberry Pi credit-card sized computer

• ^ thanks for that tip. now I'm planning to setup this banana pi as a NAS as well due to gigabit Lan and I think due to being low power eh Mas ok Tong gamitin as NAS.

siguro in my case I'll just buy a 2.5inch mechanical drive due to higher size capacity.

ang dami mo ding gadgets no hehe :p

Pampatagal ng stress actually, magandang paglaruan yan specially kung medyo gamay mo ang Linux environment. For me ung Amazon Fire TV ung deal killer jan astig, since android machine siya dami mo pwde ilagay. In addition sa Banana Pi, you can put OpenMediaVault and it will act now as a NAS.
  • I want this
    <click here for link>
  • may mabibili ba tayo dito sa tpc na heat sink for the pi ?
  • sa alexan sa megamall, 40pesos lang yun.
  • Pampatagal ng stress actually, magandang paglaruan yan specially kung medyo gamay mo ang Linux environment.

lol, yung kaibigan ko na stress dahil sa linux kasi di nya ma gets kahit anong nood nya sa youtube.

installed OpenWRT instead on his pi kasi gusto nya ng friendly user interface. It works for him with that kind of interface, all he had done is go to software page and install the packages he needed there. works like a charm. hindi na nya kailangan ng terminal access at linux command.

all he wanted is 24/7 operation NAS like thing on his pi.

-- edited by polka on Apr 21 2016, 06:53 AM
  • lol, yung kaibigan ko na stress dahil sa linux kasi di nya ma gets kahit anong nood nya sa youtube.

installed OpenWRT instead on his pi kasi gusto nya ng friendly user interface. It works for him with that kind of interface, all he had done is go to software page and install the packages he needed there. works like a charm. hindi na nya kailangan ng terminal access at linux command.

all he wanted is 24/7 operation NAS like thing on his pi.

Hehehe.. Ganun talaga, I prefer a headless setup since I don't need GUI most of the time. I suggest to try OpenMediaVault if he wants a NAS setup. It has more bunch of plugins like Transmission.
  • For me ung Amazon Fire TV ung deal killer jan astig, since android machine siya dami mo pwde ilagay. In addition sa Banana Pi, you can put OpenMediaVault and it will act now as a NAS.

Boss tanong ko lang why you need AFTV for KODI when you can use your Raspi as KODI Player also?
  • Boss tanong ko lang why you need AFTV for KODI when you can use your Raspi as KODI Player also?

I don't have a Raspberry Pi, i have Banana PI. Currently there's no working KODI setup for Banana PI. Since I have Fire TV where it has Amazon Prime and Netflix . Why do I have to jump everytime I want to watch using my Banana Pi. Since Kodi is pretty easy to setup, I just made Banana PI as a file server which has 4 2.5 HD attached to it.
  • Sino may pine 64?
  • @unknown_shinoda tanong ko lang, how does your sata port multiplier power the hard drives? pang 5V lang ba yan (2.5inch?)

How about 3.5inch which requires 5 and 12 volts?

Currently I have a spare power adaptor from old external enclosure to test the 3.5inch HDD. Test ko pa lang later.

Currently nakakabit is yung 2.5inch HDD. Ok na ok sya in terms of power usage

Medyo limiting factor yung mababang 2.5inch capacity size. It so happens I have an extra 2TB that came from popcorn hour that I can use.

I have extra pa na 3TB HDD if i can use that sata multiplier.

Btw, I ended up using the raspberry pi for kodi.

-- edited by ryandegreat25 on May 06 2016, 11:29 AM
  • tanong ko lang, how does your sata port multiplier power the hard drives? pang 5V lang ba yan (2.5inch?)

How about 3.5inch which requires 5 and 12 volts?

Currently I have a spare power adaptor from old external enclosure to test the 3.5inch HDD. Test ko pa lang later.

Currently nakakabit is yung 2.5inch HDD. Ok na ok sya in terms of power usage

Medyo limiting factor yung mababang 2.5inch capacity size. It so happens I have an extra 2TB that came from popcorn hour that I can use.

I have extra pa na 3TB HDD if i can use that sata multiplier.

Btw, I ended up using the raspberry pi for kodi.

You can get a 5.25 casing then power it. You can look for Icy Dock.
  • mga master. may nakapag setup na po ba sa inyo ng lightberry?

eye-ing for that project para sa tv ko and console nadin..
  • Unknown_Shinoda You can get a 5.25 casing then power it. You can look for Icy Dock.

Thanks, will check their products, im looking for e sata support.

-- edited by ryandegreat25 on May 06 2016, 04:46 PM
  • Finally completed my BanaNAS diy. Looks awesome :) Running Openmediavault on Debian Wheezy and paired with 2TB HDD.

-- edited by ryandegreat25 on May 17 2016, 04:53 PM
  • oohhhh.. how do you power your 3.5 HD?
  • @unknown_shinoda, in the last pic, I used a dual voltage power adaptor. Common mo sya makikita sa mga 3.5 HDD na External enclosure. Mine is very old like nasa 1 decade na :p

It supplies 1.5amps on both 12V and 5V. Bale testing mode pa ko kung unstable pero so far it's been running fine.

Both devices are powered by this, ni split at splice ko lang sila. According sa Seagate spec sheet yung HDD daw will peak at 2.5amps during startup pero so far ok pa naman supplying power to both devices.

If not I will buy new power adaptor.

sample of psu. Preferably with 2.5 amps and more
    http://m.ebay.com/itm/300567122392

-- edited by ryandegreat25 on May 18 2016, 10:32 AM
  • im planning on buying a canakit version of the raspberry pi on amazon. Do you guys have any tips on a cheap shipping that doesnt have to go through customs? should i also buy in bulk?
  • For Canakit, have you tried Alibaba or Aliexpress?

are they safe? do they deliver right to your doorstep?

are they safe? do they deliver right to your doorstep?

It works like ebay platform lang sila hindi seller.
    From the handful of transactions I had in aliexpress(various sellers) okay naman.
    Choose a cheap postage with tracking(china, hongkong, singapore etc etc) and ask the seller to make the package as small as possible.
    It's the discretion of your post office if they will deliver the item to you or drop a letter.
    Your mileage will vary.

Ang pinaka mahal(single purchase) ko sa aliexpress is yung banana pi at lumusot naman sa magic ng customs.

Anyway wag na wag kang gagamit ng mahal na shipping or kahit yung EMS.
  • the raspberry pi at aliexpress is much pricier than in amazon

i have some relatives in states and was wonderibg if it will be pricier for them to forward me the package? not sure if there are services like that in statea that coats les
  • @anthony

If you're getting the raspberry pi, why not inquire sa local distro like element14 or rs-online?
    If you really need it from amazon, then try a service like Johnny Air Cargo or My Shopping Box.
    The latter has a subscription fee but if you have a BDO Card if i remember correctly you get free 1 year subscription.
  • this ought to be good: Google could be bringing Android to the Raspberry Pi <click here for link>
  • Anyone running owncloud on a raspberry pi?
  • ^ I ran owncloud sa Banana pi but ni Uninstall ko din. Kulang pa sa mga features like folder sync.
  • ^ Natry ko na ang owncloud pero hindi sa raspberry (Pentium 4 desktop running archlinux). May FolderSync app naman for Android, napagana ko.
  • same here, im using owncloud on my x86 based machine which is my NAS and a router as well (in virtualization).

pero na try ko naman na yung owncloud sa raspberry pi, it works, all functions works just fine, folder sync works just fine both on my windows machine and android. Just a warning though, it will be hell slow, the more files you had in there, the slower it can be. Naalala ko pa noon that my rpi can get crash almost everyday dahil lang sa owncloud, it cant handle more than 2 devices if im not mistaken with 300+ files in there.

-- edited by polka on Jun 03 2016, 08:11 PM
  • ^ That's understandable given the RPi's design (single USB port connected to an onboard hub that also contains the LAN port). The USB port will be congested with both LAN and HDD traffic. :(
  • well the USB Bus is not even congested to begin with. its just the php freaking out.
  • CPU processing power not enough? Or maybe the software isn't stable yet on the Pi.