Forum Topic

UnitechPH - United Techies of the Philippines Tambayan Thread

• @sleepy

I own a Dell U2713H, all I can say is wow! The color is superb and even though the response time of 6ms, I can't even notice the ghosting and backlight bleed as most online comments have stated na panget sa gaming itong monitor due to those factors. :)
  • @sleepygeepy

Thanks for the Russian forum link. This is the other forum that I have been following aside from TFTCentral and PCMonitors.info: <click here for link>

I have been using a Dell P2214H for quite a while and don't get me wrong, it is actually a decent flicker-free monitor with accurate colors and excellent motion performance. Display performance is actually very consistent and stable when used in either bright or dark conditions. It's just IPS glow that annoys me to no end since I often use the PC in a dimmed environment. The uniform screen glow is very apparent to me even when viewing straight on and at a >60mm distance. Blacks suddenly turn into gray when the ambient lighting is turned down. I know I'm particularly sensitive about this relative to others. I have to say though that I am actually very happy with it when the lights are fully on.

Some of the choices you indicated such as the BenQ EW2440L and the Dell S2440L may be OK but I was hoping that the current gen models would be better. If they're not, no biggie. And I can't really be bothered by other "sidegrade" options. As it stands, the Dell S2316H that I'm looking at, which is the semi-glossy IPS "successor" of the glossy VA S2440L, is just a very marginal upgrade. I'll try to test the Dell S2316H and BenQ GW2470H in stores that will allow it and see if I can live with the compromises just to avoid the horrid IPS glow. Otherwise, I'd be happy to just keep using what I have.

Again, thanks for the link. And I look forward to your impressions and testing of the VZ2250H. :)

-- edited by Woof on May 04 2016, 10:15 PM
  • Post deleted #11656930
  • @fakuryu

Any idea po sir if saan maavail ung promo ng BenQ VZ2350HM? For 6990? Sa lahat po kaya or selected lang? Thanks!
  • Razer BlackWidow X Chroma - Welcome to the Cult of Razer

Over the past week, I was privileged to be contacted and asked if I wanted to try out a gaming peripheral not knowing what it was until I got the item, and to my surprise that it was a Razer BlackWidow X Chroma which probably one of the hottest mechanical keyboards around. Since I already own a mechanical keyboard from a competitor, it would be interesting how this will match up.

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-keyboards-keypads/razer-blackwidow-x-chroma

Switch Type - RAZER GREEN
    Lighting - Chroma
    Illumination style - Exposed - Bright
    Construction - Exposed metal top mounting
    Macro keys - No
    USB / Audio pass through - No
    Cable type - Single cord / Braided
    Cable routing - Yes
    Footprint - Smaller

-- edited by fakuryu on May 17 2016, 08:15 AM

• What is in the box?

*Razer BlackWidow X Chroma
    *Instruction Manual
    *Welcome Letter
    *Razer Sticker

Test system:

Processor: Intel Core i5-3570K
    Mother board: ASUS P8Z77M Pro
    Memory: GSkill Ripjaws X 4x2 8GB DDR3 1600
    Video card: Palit GTX 970 Reference

-- edited by fakuryu on May 17 2016, 08:15 AM

• Taking a closer look a the Razer BlackWidow X Chroma, it is no doubt a well built gaming keyboard from probably the most well-known manufacturer of high-end gaming peripherals that has a mantra of "For gamers, by gamers" since 2005. Sponsoring E-games and professional gamers since then; Razer was able to establish itself as the premiere brand in professional gaming.

With floating keys over an exposed carbon steel top with an anti-fingerprint finish, not only the design of the Razer BlackWidow X aesthetically pleasing but extremely functional as well.

Why functional? Due to the floating cap design, each key cap can be easily removed for cleaning and maintenance or can be swapped with other key caps.

I initially had reservations with Razer abandoning the tried and tested Cherry MX switches in favor of their own in-house switches. It was reassuring to find out that Razer invested a lot in creating their own switches that could last up to 80 million key presses. So far in piratical applications and gaming, I can't differentiate the Razer Green Switch over the Cherry MX Blue.

Comparing mechanical switches over tactile feel is quite difficult but I can tell you that it is a world of a difference comparing a mechanical keyboard over the traditional membrane type keyboard. It feels more responsive and reassuring every time you hear that clackity-clack!

-- edited by fakuryu on May 17 2016, 08:29 AM

• Boasting up to 16.8 million colors and 8 color profiles including custom profile for games, it will take a while to get tired of all the colors and possible combinations that can be controlled using the proprietary program Razer Synapse or a combination of key presses which I found surprisingly not distracting during a session of DotA 2 or Counter Strike: Global Operations

It is quite understandable why the Razer BlackWidow line is sought after and why Razer for some gamers is almost a religion. Sitting on top of Razer's top end Chroma line, it Razer BlackWidow X Chroma is a very expensive toy at around PHP 7000.00 but what you'll get is probably one of the most robust and sexiest gaming keyboard in our market today.

Pros:
    Floating key cap design
    Anti-fingerprint matte design
    Basic keyboard layout for a more compact profile

Cons:
    A bit expensive
    Lack of macro keys could be a con for some, I am personally not bothered by it

-- edited by fakuryu on May 17 2016, 08:12 AM
  • Cooler Master Quick Fire XTi - An Update To A Classic

The Cooler Master Quick Fire series has always been a solid choice when choosing a mechanical keyboard and has always been one of best selling mechanical keyboards in the market due to the solid build and the compactness. Back in 2015, Cooler Master released the Cooler Master Quick Fire XTi nad I've spent a couple of weeks testing it out.

http://gaming.coolermaster.com/en/products/keyboards/quickfire-xti/

Model Number:
    SGK-4060-KKCL1 (Blue switch)
    SGK-4060-KKCM1 (Brown switch)
    SGK-4060-KKCR1 (Red switch)

Key Switch Type:
    CHERRY MX Blue/ Brown/ Red Availability may vary by region

Key Rollover:
    NKRO (Windows only)

Keycaps:
    ABS, grip coated, removable

Polling Rate:
    1000 Hz/1ms

Backlight:
    Full backlit, 35 colors, 5 settings

Windows Key Lock:
    Yes

Media Keys:
    Yes (via F keys)

Interface Micro:
    USB 2.0, full speed

USB cable:
    1.5m braided, gold plated and removable

Dimensions:
    43.9(L) *13(W) *4.1(H) cm
    17.28(L) *5.12(W) *1.61(H) inch

Weight:
    1114 g / 2.46 lbs

-- edited by fakuryu on Jun 26 2016, 12:02 PM

• What is in the box?

*Cooler Master Quick Fire XTi
    *Instruction Manual
    *Removable Micro USB 2.0 Cable
    *Keycap remover
    *1x Fn key

Test system:

-- edited by fakuryu on Jun 26 2016, 12:05 PM

• For a couple of weeks, I got to enjoy the Cooler Master Quick Fire XTi both in a normal usage and gaming environment due to size making it unobtrusive. and as usual, the keyboard is very responsive. Owning a Cooler Master CM Storm Trigger mechanical keyboard for several years now, I can say that Cooler Master keyboards last and the Cherry MX Blue switches works as advertised.

Even if using a traditional layout, macro and keyboard profiles are readily available with just a few keystrokes.

I loved how compact the Cooler Master Quick Fire XTi is and I was actually looking for the original Quick Fire keyboard before I got a very good deal for the the Trigger during one of our events.

There are several color profile and lighting animations available via firmware update but with the time spent playing with it, I chose my favorite custom profile which was a breathing pink keyboard.

If you are looking for a mechanical keyboard, should you choose the Cooler Master Quick Fire XTi? Definitely a solid yes. It is a proven design with a proven track record when it comes to quality and reliability.

Available through TipidPC sellers with an SRP of PHP 6450.00, it is another expensive toy to play with but mechanical keyboards of this caliber are often times expensive. Too bad that we are all addicted to this expensive hobby.

Pros:
    Compact
    Solid build
    Basic keyboard layout for a more compact profile
    Cherry MX Blue for the win

Cons:
    A bit expensive
    For the price, you might want the RGB color spectrum

-- edited by fakuryu on Jun 26 2016, 12:30 PM
  • Cooler Master Masterkeys Pro S - A Quick Look

Cooler Master, one of our favorite brands when it comes hardware and peripherals gives us a quick look at their fastest yet most compact gaming keyboard in the market, the Cooler Master Masterkeys Pro S. It's quick, compact, has all those Cherry MX goodness and now unicorn infused!

Model Number:
    SGK-6030-KKCM1-US (Brown Switch)
    SGK-6030-KKCL1-US (Blue Switch)
    SGK-6030-KKCR1-US (Red Switch)

Key Switch Type:
    CHERRY MX

Layout:
    87/88 keys Tenkeyless

Material:
    Plastic / Metal

Color:
    Black

LED Color:
    RGB

Polling Rate:
    1000 Hz/1ms

Repeat Rate
    1x / 2x / 4x / 8x

Response Rate:
    32bit ARM Cortex M3

MCU:
    Yes

On board Memory
    512KB

Interface Micro:
    USB 2.0

USB cable:
    1.5 Meters

Dimensions:
    359 x 130.8 x 39mm

Weight:
    930 g

-- edited by fakuryu on Jul 29 2016, 10:22 AM

• We didn't get to play around much with the Cooler Master Masterkeys Pro S but given the history and quality of Cooler Master mechanical gaming keyboards, this is one of their top offering if you are in the market for a compact and robust gaming keyboard which is smaller than my current favorite Cooler Master Quick Fire XTi

Highlights:

*16.7 Million color combination with bigger and brighter LED lights
    *25% more processing power due to the ARM Cortex M3 installed processor
    *Anti-ghosting technology features for Windows and OSX
    *Custom Profile and status indicator system

As of writing, there is no SRP yet and hopefully we'll get to play around more with the Cooler Master Masterkeys Pro S in the future.

-- edited by fakuryu on Jul 29 2016, 10:21 AM
  • Altec Lansing Circus - Quick Unboxing and Impressions

Today, we are going to unbox a new 2.1 speaker system from Altec Lansing. Altec Lansing has always been one of the better choices when it comes to multimedia speakers and here we have the new Altec Lansing Circus 2.1 313M

[/img]

What is in the box?

*Two (2) 3 Watt satellites with 2.5" drivers
    *One (1) 6 Watt woofer with 4" driver
    *Wired remote
    *Manual

-- edited by fakuryu on Oct 14 2016, 10:56 AM

-- edited by fakuryu on Dec 03 2016, 01:08 PM

• First Impressions:

*Build quality is excellent for the price, the subwoofer feels solid and robust. The satellites even if they plastic does not feel cheap.
    *It is not too big!
    *Active powered subwoofer and satellites! No need for an external adapter since you can just plug on a nearby wall socket

How does it sound?

For a quick test, I used my Sansa Fuze and U3+ Blue Bird amplifiers and blasted away with Neyo's - Miss Independent. All I can say for now that coming from a 2.0 bookshelf speakers, the bass of the woofer is more pronounced while the tweeters makes the sound more spacious. The bass has weight and is pleasing and had no distortions were observed even after increasing the volume.

It is hard to make a full assessment as I've spent only a few minutes with the Altec Lansing Circus speakers. It might need some burn-in for it to settle so tune in once I make a full review.

Oh did I say that this babies are on sale for only PHP 2000.00 from one of our TipidPC sellers?

-- edited by fakuryu on Oct 14 2016, 11:09 AM
  • Altec Lansing Circus Review - Just Listen

Finally after 2 weeks of testing, my review of the Altec Lansing Circus is here! Altec Lansing, an American electronics company was founded way back in 1936 whose primary products were loudspeakers and the rest is we can say is history.

http://www.alteclansing.com/ph/al-products/circus-speakers/
    https://www.facebook.com/alteclansingphilippines/

Technical specifications:

Total Power: 12 Watt RMS
    Power distribution: 3 Watt x 2 + 6 Watt
    Frequency response: 35 Hz - 20 kHz
    Tweeter type: 2.5”
    Tweeter impedance: 4 Ohm
    Woofer type: 4”
    Woofer impedance: 6 Ohm
    Power supply: AC 100V-240V 50/60Hz 350mA

-- edited by fakuryu on Nov 22 2016, 10:53 PM

• What is in the box?

*2x 2.5" Satellites
    *1x 4" Woofer
    *1x Remote with volume control
    *1x Instruction manual

Test system:

Processor: AMD A8-7650K
    Mother board: MSI A88X-G45 Gaming
    Memory: GSkill Ripjaws X 4x2 8GB DDR3 1866
    Video card: EVGA GTX 950 SSC Gaming AC

-- edited by fakuryu on Nov 22 2016, 01:43 PM

• Design

For sa sub-PHP 3000.00 speakers, the Altec Lansing Circus is well made and feels sturdy as most Altec Lansing speakers. Even if the satellites were made our of plastic, it is sturdy enough to take a daily beating but my only concern is how the glossy plastic finish would age but with proper maintenance and care, it should be okay.

On the other hand, I did found the sub-woofer to be well made with a heavy and solid feel to it and perhaps feels a lot better compared to other sub-woofers in this price segment.

What I liked most about the setup of the Altec Lansing Circus being a powered speaker through the subwoofer which means it is plugged directly to the wall without a need for an adapter for less clutter. Even my personal and more expensive 2.0 bookshelf speakers requires a power brick.

How does it sound?

Armed with 2x 2.5" drivers for the satellites and a 4" driver woofer, there is a lot going on with the Altec Lansing Circus and it really is an enjoyable set of affordable speakers. Like any dynamic speaker driver, I burned the unit in for about 50 hours for the drivers to settle but there were no noticeable improvement in sound quality which were already great out of the box.

Sound is subjective and your mileage may vary depending on the conditions

-- edited by fakuryu on Nov 22 2016, 10:47 PM

• What's immediately noticeable was the wide sound stage of the large 2.5" satellite drivers even if only had a power output of 3W per channel or a total of 6W. Altec Lansing engineered these well as there were no hints of distortion at max volume and it will easily fill out a small room.

With a frequency response of 35 Hz - 20 kHz, the bass does not really rumble but it has enough weight and impact that for my taste, is more enjoyable than the muddy and distorted bass of lesser quality speakers that over compensates. I'd always say that quality is always better than quantity.

If you want something that goes deeper, look for a set of speakers with a frequency response for the lower end of the spectrum within the ranges of 15 - 40 Hz or even lower.

Overall sound was clear and coherent specially for the lower frequencies. The midrange was neutral, not too near nor too far. The only draw back for me were the higher frequencies. Maybe I've been spoiled a bit during the recent November HiFi show but I wouldn't say that it is bad, actually it is quite good for a speaker of this class especially that these are not monitoring speakers but I did wish for them to have a bit more sparkle.

All I can say that the tonal balance of the Altec Lansing Circus is more on the weighty side which the target market of these speakers will enjoy the most.

It has good bass, wide sound stage, clear and coherent. What is there not to like?

-- edited by fakuryu on Nov 22 2016, 10:23 PM

• Watching movies was a delight as it had a cinematic surround sound effect inside the bedroom that even watching a few movies trailers in YouTube was a pleasant experience that you'd ask yourself if you are indeed listening to a speaker set worth PHP 3000.00 and below.

For this test, I watched Godzilla (2014), and Fast & Furious 6. What I really liked about the Altec Lansing Circus was even if the bass had weight, it didn't rumble that much that it was not distracting and you can still hear the dialogue even with all the mass destruction in Godzilla or while those loud V8 engines were roaring in Fast & Furious 6.

Where it really shines was in gaming. Paired with a decent source and in this case the very good sound card of the MSI A88X-G45 Gaming. I played a couple rounds of DotA 2 and even in that game there was a cinematic surround sound effect that made the game just a bit much more engaging. With my 12 year old boy test, he played Star Wars Battlefront 2 and he commented that the laser actually sounded like lasers in the movie unlike the fake sounding bullets he can hear with his gaming headphones.

Final Thoughts

Would I recommend the Altec Lansing AL-SND313M-002 CIRCUS? It is a solid yes! With a price range of around PHP 2000.00 ~ PHP 2300.00 from our local TipidPC.com sellers and even at some mall computer stores which I've checked as well, it really gives a lot of bang for the buck, and punches above it's weight that you'll forgive it's short comings. Paired with a gaming motherboard will give you smiles for miles whether you are playing a MOBA, FPS, racing, open world RPG, and etc. Hook it up with your home projector will give off that big screen movie experience.

With an enjoyable sound signature and definitely a sound quality that could be heard from speakers above the price range, the Altec Lansing AL-SND313M-002 CIRCUS is definitely a solid buy.

Pros:
    Elegant looks
    Compact for a 2.1 multimedia speaker system
    Clear and weighty bass
    Powered speakers through the subwoofer for less clutter
    Surprisingly large soundstage
    Solidly built subwoofer
    Even if the satellites were plastic, it looks like it will last
    That price!

Cons:
    I wished that the higher frequencies had a bit more sparkle
    I wished that the they used a matte finish for a more elegant look instead of a glossy finish but that is just me
    It would have been nice if there was a way to actively control the bass and treble within the speakers itself

-- edited by fakuryu on Nov 22 2016, 10:52 PM
  • Infini Mechanical Keyboards - A Quick Test

Infini, a relative new comer to the highly contested PC gaming peripherals recently introduced two of their gaming keyboards, the Inifi MK-1000 and the Infini GKB-501

We'll first look at the Infini MK-1000 which is a handsome looking keyboard with a floating cap design. Not much information can be found with the brand and I just relied with the instruction manual for the information.

Model Number:
    MK-1000

Key Switch Type:
    OUTEMU Axis Blue Switch

Backlight:
    Full backlit

Polling Rate:
    1000 Hz/1ms

Multifunction:
    Yes (via FN keys)

-- edited by fakuryu on Dec 03 2016, 01:38 PM

• What is in the box?

*Infini MK-1000
    *Instruction Manual
    *Removable Micro USB Cable

Out of the box, there is nothing much here but the unit itself, the removable USB cable and, the instruction manual on how to use the FN keys to change the lighting effects. It looks handsome and elegant with that floating design on top of an aluminum panel which is always a plus for easy cleaning.

Test system:

As Cherry's mechanical switch design copyright expiring a few years ago, many manufacturers came out with their similar design and this is the first OUTEMU Axis Blue Switch I've ever tried. I'm happy to say that even if they don't really feel the same as the Cherry MX Blue Switches, they are still responsive and satisfying to the touch with that click-clack and you can also replace the keycaps to any keycap of your choice!

With an asking price of PHP 2700.00, this is a good choice for a first mechanical keyboard as it is solidly built and looks good as well.

Pros:
    Elegant looks
    Solid build
    Compact
    Quite affordable for a true RGB mechanical keyboard

Cons:
    Only the top plate is aluminum
    Since it is a 87 keys design, you might miss having an extra numpad

-- edited by fakuryu on Dec 03 2016, 01:35 PM

• Next in line the Infini GKB-501 which can be had for a very affordable price of PHP 779.00

Model Number:
    GKB-501

Key Switch Type:
    Dome type

Backlight:
    Full backlit

-- edited by fakuryu on Dec 03 2016, 01:58 PM

• What is in the box?

*Infini GKB-501 (that's it)

Test system:

There are no other technical information that could be found for the Infini GKB-501 but I'm happy to report that out of the box, it is solidly build with it's gamer looks as the entire body is made out of metal.

Pressing the dome type switches might not give off the same tactile feel of mechanical switches, they do feel way more tactile than the traditional membrane keyboard.

All for just PHP 779.00, fully backlit with a build that is good enough to be a weapon, gamers on a tighter budget will be able to appreciate what the Infini GKB-501 brings to the market.

Pros:
    Solid and robust build
    Very affordable RGB backlit keyboard

Cons:
    This is just me, I can;t really fault the keyboard due to the price but I'm not a fan of the design especially when compared next to that sleek Infini MK-1000

-- edited by fakuryu on Dec 03 2016, 01:58 PM
  • Altec Lansing Lozenge Review – Wireless Control

http://www.alteclansing.com/en/al-products/lozenge-speakers/

Total Power: 40 Watt RMS
    Power distribution: 10 Watt x 2 + 20 Watt
    Frequency response: 50 Hz - 18 kHz
    Tweeter type: 2.5”
    Tweeter impedance: 4 Ohm
    Woofer type: 5”
    Woofer impedance: 8 Ohm
    Power supply: AC 100V-240V 50/60Hz 350mA
    Remote Control: 2x AAA battery

What is in the box?
    *2x Satellites
    *1x Woofer
    *1x Wireless Remote with volume control
    *1x Instruction manual

Test system:
    Processor: Intel i5-3570K
    Mother board: ASUS Z77M Pro
    DAC: Encore Enma
  • Design:
    For a PHP 3500.00-4000.00 set of speakers, the Altec Lansing Lozenge is sturdier and more robust especially compared to its more affordable sibling the Altec Lansing Circus. With a full metal facade that gives it a premium feel and a sturdier shell both for the subwoofer and satellites, I have no doubt that these speakers will last for a long time as long as you maintained it properly.
    I do understand why these speakers are called "Lozenge" due to its circular wireless remote. This is a cool concept especially that you can control the volume and the bass of the speakers from a distance without the hassle of extra wires. Even if you run out of batteries or lost the wireless remote, you can still control the volume via the knob at the back. Another cool thing about the Altec Lansing Lozenge is that it has a standby/sleep mode and will power up once you turn the wireless or the volume control knobs.

How does it sound?
    I did 3 separate tests for this review. Music listening, movie watching, and of course gaming. As usual, a burn-in period of 50 hours was made prior to writing.
    Sound is subjective and your mileage may vary depending on the conditions.

Music:
    Off the bat, listening to music was a pleasure especially for bass heavy songs. I tested the speakers with my phone and my computer with a DAC. No doubt listening to Imagine Dragons - Radioactive, Dr. Dre - Next Episode, Macklemore - Thrift Shop was a fun experiment.
    With a 5" 20 watt woofer, you can definitely feel your immediate area vibrate even in moderate volume due to the weighty bass. Since this is a 2.1 speaker system, comparing it to my 2.0 bookshelf speakers, the Altec Lansing Lozenge has a better sense of space and imaging. Clarity is there but sounded a bit veiled and not as transparent as I wanted it to be but these won't definitely be used for critical listening anyway. It kind of make me miss the shimmer of Vinnie Coliauta’s drumming on Sting’s “Seven Days”.

Like its more affordable sibling, Altec Lansing engineered these well as there were no hints of distortion at max volume and it will be very loud inside a smaller room. With a frequency response of 50 Hz - 18 kHz, the bass does rumble with weight and impact that is a lot for my taste, especially compared with the Altec Lansing Circus. With the Altec Lansing Lozenge, you will have both bass quality and quantity.

All I can say that the tonal balance of the Altec Lansing Lozenge is the same as the Circus with more on the weighty side which the target market of these speakers will enjoy the most.

It has good bass, wide sound stage, clear and coherent mids with a more premium feel. There is a lot to like.

Movies:
    Connected to my HD projector, Google Chromecast, and movie subscriptions, the internet is my oyster. It does give a cinematic experience especially with the heavy rumble of the bass. But there would be instances that the bass is so heavy that it will drown out some of the dialogue which is a bit distracting, not good for a “talkies” movie.

So if you’re in to action and heavy explosions, this could be fun.

Gaming:
    After sessions and sessions of DotA 2, these speakers are fantastic for gaming especially when there is a sound effect that is rather boomy and reverberates ala Zeus’ Thundergod’s Wrath! I just can’t enough of it! The speakers are quite loud so just be mindful if other’s are starting to get irritated by it.

• Final Thoughts
    I highly recommend these speakers especially if you have a budget for it. Overall, it is an improvement over the more affordable Altec Lansing Circus. It looks good, feels a bit more premium, and just sounds better. Paired with a decent soundcard or DAC should make anyone smile for hours.

Pros:
    Elegant looks
    Still compact for a 2.1 multimedia speaker system
    Clear and very weighty bass
    Surprisingly large soundstage
    Solidly built subwoofer

Cons:
    I wished that analogue controls are a bit more accessible, the power switch and volume knob are on the back
    Unlike the more affordable Altec Lansing Circus, these are not actively powered and requires a power brick
    Hopefully, Altec Lansing can do something about the manual. Improve the content or lack thereof
  • Altec Lansing Helix Review – Ménage à trois

http://www.alteclansing.com/en/al-products/helix-speakers/

Total Power: 40 Watt
    Power distribution: 7 Watt x 2 + 25 Watt
    Frequency response: 30 Hz - 20 kHz
    Tweeter type: 3”
    Tweeter impedance: 4 Ohm 10 Watt
    Woofer type: 5.25”
    Woofer impedance: 6 Ohm 30 Watt
    Power supply: AC 220-240V/ 50Hz

What is in the box?
    *2x Satellites
    *1x Woofer
    *1x Cables
    *1x Instruction manual

Test system:
    Processor: Intel i5-3570K
    Mother board: ASUS Z77M Pro
    DAC: Encore Enma
    DAP: Sansa Fuze with a Bluebird U2+ portable amplifier
  • Design:
    From the get-go, I knew that these were something special about the Helix and it was apparent during the unboxing. No cheap Styrofoam, these babies were protected by premium softer foams that are usually found in the package of high-end electronics and with the first impression I had, this review will be fun.

For a PHP 5000.00 set of speakers, the Altec Lansing Helix is the sexiest of the Altec Lansing trio namely the entry level Circus, the mid-ranged Lozenge, and the top of the line Helix. With a shell made out of wood compared to the plastics of the Circus and Lozenge, makes the Helix the best looking and also the largest of the bunch.

Wooden speakers have better acoustics than the run of the mill plastic speakers since in general, wood is naturally non-resonant, and has a nice richer sound. But do take note that the type of wood, and the shape of the cabinet are also factors in producing sound.

My constant issue with its siblings was the lack of external controls or having clumsy volume controls. Given the price premium, Altec Lansing added the volume, bass, treble knobs at the side of the subwoofer so you can adjust everything to taste. In addition, there is a MMC card and USB slot where you can USB stick and memory cards to listen to. Like the Altec Lansing Circus, I am happy to say that these are once again actively powered speakers which mean no external power brick and a neater table!

How does it sound?
    I did 3 separate tests for this review. Music listening, movie watching, and of course gaming. As usual, a burn-in period of 50 hours was made prior to writing.

Sound is subjective and your mileage may vary depending on the conditions.

Music:
    Comparing the three (Circus, Lozenge, and the Helix), these speakers has the best top end with those clear and crispy highs™ that pianos, violins, female vocals and cymbals sounds the most natural compared to its siblings. Midrange is lush and beautiful especially when listening to naturally gifted vocalist such as Izzy Bizu, Brandon Flowers, Adele, and Sting that it is addicting to listen to music the entire day.

Being a 2.1 speaker, it has excellent bass reproduction which goes deep, tight, weighty but polite especially to the seismic and table shaking Altec Lansing Lozenge. Overall, the Altec Lansing Helix feels like listening to a pair of good balanced armature in-ear earphones due to the smooth balanced sound especially when listening to Honne featuring Izzy Bizu – Someone That Loves You. Go ahead, listen to it and just thank me later.

I was able to listen for a few minutes in a nice quiet room and the volume just fills the space, even maxing out the volume did not give a hint of distortion and the Altec Lansing Helix just played on. It was a bit hard to gauge the clarity, imaging, and image separation due to wide soundstage being drowned out a bit by ambient noise, but I can definitely say that it is there. I wish I had a noise dampened room. These may not be professional studio monitoring speakers and you can be forgiven as they look and sometimes sound the part.

These might replace my favorite bookshelf speakers from the competing brand.

Movies:
    Like the Altec Lansing Lozenge, it also gives off a cinematic experience except that the bass is no longer over powering and drowning out the dialogue yet it is still fun enough for those explosions every now and then.

One thing I noticed is that on some YouTube videos I watch it tends to be sibilant (the TS or the CH sound being prominent). Testing it out with one of the most sibilant track I have which was Snow Patrol – Take Back The City, there were no hints of sibilance so I guess it was just due to back audio recording of those YouTubers.

Gaming:
    Playing Resident Evil 6 became a bit more cinematic especially with the wider soundstage that I was used to. These speakers are quite versatile and anybody, gamers or music lovers will be able to enjoy them without a problem.
  • Final Thoughts:
    If you have the money and space to put these speakers, I whole heartedly recommend these more than the Altec Lansing Lozenge. Not only that they look better but sound better as well (for my taste), and the thing is, the price disparity between the two is not that wide at all. They are more versatile overall probably to the better bass reproduction.

Altec Lansing has proven again that they can still make great speakers after a long hiatus and hopefully they will be here to stay. I do love these speakers even with my bias for the cleaner look of 2.0 bookshelf speakers. Almost everything I look for in a speaker can be found in the Helix except for the size given that they are huge for a 2.1 multimedia speaker system. Nice clear highs, lush mids, and an addictive bass all in a tight package, what is there not to like?

The Altec Lansing Helix can be bought from our favorite TipidPC stores.

Pros:
    Elegant looks
    Solid build
    Balanced sound
    External controls
    Actively powered speakers

Cons:
    In this day and age of connectivity, Altec Lansing should have forgone the USB and MMC slots in favor of Bluetooth connectivity especially at this price range where some competitors offer such connectivity.