Forum Topic

The OpenWRT Thread

• <click here for link>

openwrt 19.07.0 to be released soon.. some of the images are already up on their releases page.
  • it will be weird if they will still call it 19.07. maybe they will bump it to 20.01?
  • it will be weird if they will still call it 19.07. maybe they will bump it to 20.01?

builds are already in https://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/19.07.0/targets/
    i guess it would be based on the year/month they first branched?
  • 19.07 is here!

saklap yung WDR3500 ko is still under ar71xxx build while yung WDR3600 is now on ath79.....

been running WDR3600 ath79 build 19.07 beta since July and so far so good. time to schedule a downtime for the upgrade!

-- edited by ryanrudolf on Jan 10 2020, 07:50 AM
  • Happy with this bang for buck router. Netgear R6850. MT7621A which has 2 cores 4 threads at 880mhz. Happy with it being my gateway with SQM. 5Ghz is still hit or miss. 2.4Ghz WiFi is working fine.

• noob question, masters. if i flash a fw from openwrt, can i still go back to my router's original fw? tplink archer c6 v2. tia!
  • noob question, masters. if i flash a fw from openwrt, can i still go back to my router's original fw? tplink archer c6 v2. tia!

yes, according to the below. but, do at your own risk. i replaced the firmware of my wrt1900ac to openwrt 4 years ago and never looked back. :D
    https://openwrt.org/toh/hwdata/tp-link/tp-link_archer_c6_v2_eu

Recovery method(s):U-Boot TFTP recovery, see git-commitComment recovery:rename image to 'ArcherC6v2_tp_recovery.bin' before tftp'ing, force 100Mbps FullDuplex connection
  • Ang tindi nga ng SQM ng OpenWRT. @eaforlife

Yung Mikrotik ang laki ng variance ng ping pag high load
    pero yung OpenWRT chill na chill lang @ +-1ms variance

Mikrotik Simple Queue sfq (black dashed line) vs OpenWRT SQM (black solid line)

• Finally graduate na sa wireless N router (wdr 3500 and wdr 3600). Upgraded to netgear r7800 and swabe sa OpenWRT.

Got it for cheap (100cad / around 4000 petots). Issue is ayaw mag save settings sa stock firmware. Reflashed with OpenWRT and everything works OK.

Repurposed my old wireless N routers as WDS access point, syempre using OpenWRT pa rin
  • Finally graduate na sa wireless N router (wdr 3500 and wdr 3600). Upgraded to netgear r7800 and swabe sa OpenWRT.

Got it for cheap (100cad / around 4000 petots). Issue is ayaw mag save settings sa stock firmware. Reflashed with OpenWRT and everything works OK.

Repurposed my old wireless N routers as WDS access point, syempre using OpenWRT pa rin

wow, nighthawk! nice find!

• wow, nighthawk! nice find!

Yep and ramdam ang upgrade coming from wireless N router.
  • Guys any suggestion for a secondary router that can support OpenWRT? Budget ko is 4k or below sana. Not really looking for top of the line specs since will just use it for streaming on my smart TVs using VPN. Yung primary router ko kasi is unsupported and I don't want my traffic there to get throttled anyway.
  • Guys any suggestion for a secondary router that can support OpenWRT? Budget ko is 4k or below sana. Not really looking for top of the line specs since will just use it for streaming on my smart TVs using VPN. Yung primary router ko kasi is unsupported and I don't want my traffic there to get throttled anyway.

you can try TP-Link. openwrt hcl is in this page <click here for link>

-- edited by pektus on May 18 2020, 11:41 AM
  • @darkane

Im using WDR3600 for my VPN needs and swabe sa OpenWRT. I wrote a guide here -

<click here for link>
  • May bagong OpenWRT router ako. It's the Asus RT-AC1300UHP specs are the same as the RT-AC58U except that the AC1300UHP has 256MB RAM vs only 128MB on the AC58U. Other remarkable specs are as follows:

Qualcomm Atheros IPQ4018 quad core CPU.
    128MB Flash
    256MB RAM
    Dual Band 2.4G and 5G with 4 external antennas.

My old TP-Link Archer C5 V1 becomes a spare router
  • sa mga gusto ng router dyan na OpenWRT compatible sya. meron yung "Newifi 3 D2".

its a chinese branded router and the OOB firmware is also Chinese. Pero OpenWRT compatible naman sya and easy to access flash 3rd party firmware naman.

youtube nyo na lang yung newifi router 3 pandavan, tapos stop kayo dun sa portion na i-select na yung firmware ng pandavan, and instead replace that firmware with OpenWRT firmware. <click here for link>

nasa 1.7k lang yan sa shopee, comes with AC wifi ready, gigabit ports (both wan and lan) dual core based arm processor,32mb flash, 512mb ram.
  • done converting a cheap Xiaomi Router 4a 100M to a glorified SSID-VLAN Access Point.
    Each SSID and their 5g counterparts are in each VLANs (total of 3)
    thanks to OpenWRTInvasion for making this router to be flashable with OpenWRT without any kind TTL serial or flasher needed.

caveat of OpenWRT when converting this router as a VLAN aware AP is the switch configuration, you cant set the port to have Untagged and tagged traffic. basically I used the WAN port as trunking port for this AP.

not to mention that you also need to manually assign those switch configuration on interface page. take note, you only will be adding the switch here, not the SSIDs yet, you do that on wireless configuration on each SSID.

you also need to configure on each SSID to what network it will be assigned for. you do this here, not on interface page. I tried it first bridging all interfaces together in Interface that and that didnt work at all.

after that each SSID has its on VLAN to connect to.

now time to send it up back to my friend. plug and play na lang gagawin nya. I already preconfigured his vlan aware switch (tl-sg105e) to work on this configuration. For 750 pesos shipped, meron na syang SSID-VLAN Access Point.
  • ^ i did something similar to my nighthawk r7800 -

- Edited the switchport and configured port1 as untagged VLAN

- added interface that uses the port1 untagged VLAN. Let's call this DMZ. This interface has a different IP range compared to the main switch. DHCP is also enabled for this interface

- configured firewall settings so that clients in DMZ interface can have internet access but no access on the main VLAN.

- configured traffic rules and added dns and dhcp rules for DMZ

- added wireless SSID GuestOnly and configured them to use the DMZ interface

- configured SQMQOS and limited the bandwidth for the DMZ interface

For testing, i plugged an ethernet cable to port1 and connected my laptop. It automatically got an IP (because of the dhcp firewall rule) and able to browse the internet (because of the dns firewall rule). Its not able to access clients in the main VLAN.
    Same behavior when I use a wifi device and connect to the GuestOnly interface. Speedtest while connected to the DMZ interface shows that its throttled down so all is good.
  • DIY LTE router for my backup internet connection -

dual SIM android phone running Android 8.1
    Old TPLINK router running stable openwrt

Dual sim phone contains 2 data only SIMs at 4gb each at 5$ each. Usb tethered to the router and then the clients connects to the router. Router has adblock support (using steven black hosts file) to save on data usage too.
    Tested it and i can access my tools and remote login to computers without problems.
    Cheap and it works. Only 10$ per month for 8gb of data!

• ^wow mahal naman nyan, samantala dito sa pinas 50 pesos mo 6gb na yan good for 3 days. with GOMO 500 pesos mo (10usd) 25gb na ang allowance, no expiry.
  • yep kung ikokonvert sa pesos mahal. Ahahahay yan ang namiss ko sa Pinas yung murang cellphone bill.

I forgot to mention, yung 10$cad may kasamang two free Samsung Tab A. Instead na kumuha ako ng DSL line for backup na nagra-range sa 40$cad per month, dun na lang ako sa 10$cad per month, may free tablets pa. And bihira ko lang gamitin, just in case magloko main internet since im working at home.
  • Good day po mga master, questions lang po regarding sa setup ng openwrt. Gusto ko po sana try magsetup ng openwrt sa rpi 3b, bale ganito po sana:

isp router > eth0 (rpi 3b) wlan0 > mobile devices

Possible po ba yung ganyan setup? Bale yung eth0 and magiging wan connection tapos yung built in wifi ang magiging lan(access point).

Thank you.
  • ^pwede naman, but take note, hindi kalakasan yung WiFi ng rpi so limit your expectation when in comes to range
  • Thank you Sir @polka

Sir baka po pwede makahingi ng idea kung paano ko magagawa na iset as wan ung eth0 tapos lan ung built in wifi? kapag tinatry ko kasi gawin wan ung eth0, nawawalan ng connection.
  • Current stable series: OpenWrt 21.02

https://openwrt.org/#current_stable_seriesopenwrt_2102
  • Current stable series: OpenWrt 21.02

https://openwrt.org/#current_stable_seriesopenwrt_2102

will wait muna for further update (21.02.1). wala pang extra router pang experiment, and my wife and son would bug me if the wifi is unstable.
  • ^ im using bleeding edge / master branch as my daily driver for several months and so far so good naman.

• OpenWrt 21.02 on Redmi AC2100 + AdGuard Home. Sulit na sulit 9.9 shopping ko. Nabili ko for P1270. First time sa OpenWrt. Still exploring ano magagawa ko sa router na to hehe

-- edited by lejhonmanuel on Sep 13 2021, 04:52 AM
  • Been using OpenWRT on Xiaomi AX3600 router. Its not officially supported on openwrt yet, but you can already run OpenWRT on it if you want, masaya pa dyan, dual boot sya. lol

For now, AX3600 is now acting just as AP with combination of VLANS (segregated SSID with on their own VLANs) since my main router is pfsense. Yes this router can act as a managed switch as well if you want to.
  • NoTengoBattery OpenWRT firmware screenshots

firmware here --> <click here for link>

ASUS RT-AC1300UHP - bought for p2076 sa ratsada 11.11 sale

<click here for link>

<click here for link>

<click here for link>

rest of the pics below
    <click here for link>
    <click here for link>

-- edited by chiboman2000 on Nov 18 2021, 03:16 AM

-- edited by chiboman2000 on Nov 18 2021, 03:18 AM

-- edited by chiboman2000 on Nov 18 2021, 03:19 AM