Forum Topic

Intel Core i3 / Core i5 / Core i7 Thread (Skylake - 100 series chipset - LGA 1151)

• Korek ka jan paps regarding optimization kaya kung present games ang pag gagamitin at yun minimal on other aspects, hindi sulit at maghintay na lang muna ng games na ma mamaximize ang ryzen... :)
  • Intel Coffee Lake Six-core Processor Rears its Head on SiSoftware Sandra
    <click here for link>
  • Just watched Hardware Unboxed's review and I have to say, looks like Intel has succeeded AMD of having the hottest and power-hungry CPU now. I like how the tables have turned. It's insane how under full load, the 7900x pulled nearly 400 watts and at 90c on even a 240mm AIO; Intel really dropped the ball big time on Skylake-X!

And the fact that you have to fork out 1000$ CPU and its not soldered. Guess my assumptions are right, their toothpaste TIM is the cause for the much higher temps than the previous Broadwell-E.

If 7900x is just this hot and power-hungry, how much more could HCC Skylake-X power consumption and temps would be?

/Edit

-- edited by ExtremoMania on Jun 23 2017, 08:43 PM
  • ^

Also take a look at the price to performance charts

Edit: 7700k is still the king of gaming cpus.

-- edited by geloloco on Jun 23 2017, 09:40 PM
  • ^For Games, what's the next big thing a CPU must have? Anong kailangan gawin ng Intel/AMD to beat the 7700k in terms of gaming performance?
  • ^L4 Embedded DRAM Cache!
    Check niyo sir si 5775c.

7700k is still the king of gaming cpus.

The 5775c might have something to say about that though!
    <click here for link>

The 5775c handily beats the 7700k in most tests even with an 800mhz clock disadvantage. Amazing what the L4 eDRAM can do really!

-- edited by jelome1989 on Jun 24 2017, 05:08 AM
  • The 5775c handily beats the 7700k in most tests even with an 800mhz clock disadvantage. Amazing what the L4 eDRAM can do really!

It's a shame Intel did not make a Skylake or Kabylake version of that chip. You have to wonder what kind of performance eDRAM + DDR4 would bring to PC gaming. Instead of disabling the built-in GPU in Kabylake-X, Intel should have filled it up with a big chunk of eDRAM hehe :-)

7700k is still the king of gaming cpus.

I'm guessing a hex-core Coffee Lake would be the next king :-)
  • It's a shame Intel did not make a Skylake or Kabylake version of that chip. You have to wonder what kind of performance eDRAM + DDR4 would bring to PC gaming.

Yeah, maybe 15-20% uplift in gaming performance? Saka minimum FPS yung malaking impact. 7700k with eDRAM would definitely be relevant for quite a number of years.

Instead of disabling the built-in GPU in Kabylake-X, Intel should have filled it up with a big chunk of eDRAM hehe :-)

Thought the same hehe... But it seems Intel has no plans to use that eDRAM again? Coffee Lake has no eDRAM too. Here's hoping 10nm will have L4
  • For MultiGPU's in my experience more core is still better in my experience...When I tested my 1080's on a 7700K @ 5.0ghz and 6950x @ 4.4ghz, I have higher min and avg FPS on the 6950X and almost equal max FPS vs using the 7700K..

-- edited by Odellot on Jun 24 2017, 06:18 AM
  • What that video proves is that the 7700k is all you need for gaming. The 8 or 10 cores are not worth it for just gaming.

Its mostly single core performance
  • But it seems Intel has no plans to use that eDRAM again? Coffee Lake has no eDRAM too. Here's hoping 10nm will have L4

I think it is more difficult to produce CPU's with L4 cache since the eDRAM takes up a lot of space and is fabricated with an older process node like 22nm. Yields will not be too good as one defective transistor on the eDRAM can make the whole L4 cache unusable. Unless Intel is willing to offer CPU's with different eDRAM sizes like 32MB or 64MB or 128MB etc.

Maybe Intel dropped the idea of having eDRAM on their desktop CPU's since it will make their processors more expensive and harder to sell. A couple of years back one PC shop was offering the Core i5-5675C for around Php 17K which was the same price as a Skylake Core i7. Nowadays people just want more cores and care less about eDRAM :-)

For MultiGPU's in my experience more core is still better in my experience...When I tested my 1080's on a 7700K @ 5.0ghz and 6950x @ 4.4ghz, I have higher min and avg FPS on the 6950X and almost equal max FPS vs using the 7700K..

Yes that looks to be the trend now, more cores / more threads are producing higher minimum fps in games. In the Hardware Unboxed video, their tests show that most of the CPU's with more than 4-cores / 4-threads were getting higher minimum fps. This is with a single high-end GPU :-)
  • I see thanks for all the inputs regarding gaming CPU. Can't wait to see what Intel can come up with to beat their own success.
  • Hello,

I just bought an i7 7700k. Nung kinabit ko sya sa rig ko with H100i gtx cooler plus Noctua thermal paste, napakataas ng idle temp nya. Around 45-47C ung idle temp nya. Normal ba un? Balak ko kasi sya ibalik sa PcHUB tom. Thank you
  • @KevinRXS

I don't know what the usual idle temps of the i7-7700K is, though I've heard report of thermal problems with that processor. Just as a point of comparison, I have an i7-6700K overclocked to 4.5 GHz. Right now my wall digital thermometer shows an ambient temp of 28.3 C (relatively cooler because it's night and it rained earlier). My idle temp is 29-30 C only. I'm on a Frostflow 240L AIO and the thermal paste is Noctua NT-H1. 45-47 C seems too high, considering that even when ambient temp is around 33 C (pretty hot already, since I don't have AC in my room) my i7-6700K only idles at ~35 C or so.
  • Hello,

I just bought an i7 7700k. Nung kinabit ko sya sa rig ko with H100i gtx cooler plus Noctua thermal paste, napakataas ng idle temp nya. Around 45-47C ung idle temp nya. Normal ba un? Balak ko kasi sya ibalik sa PcHUB tom. Thank you

eto ang screenshot ng idle temps ng 7700k ko, it is overclocked to 4.8ghz, but during idle the frequency downclocks, no aircon and ambient temp around 31 degrees, mainit talaga ang temps ng 7700k eventhough i use a nzxt kraken x62 aio to cool it up, and kung mapapansin mo sa graphs may sudden spikes yan tumataas ang random core up to 70 degrees maski idle kaya erratic ang fans ko maski naka fan curve ako. sa sabi mo na ganyan temps mo marahil hindi maganda ang ventilation mo sa case or hindi maganda pagkakalagay ng cooler mo

• @o00adonis00o

Sir, ano po voltage mo sa 4.8Ghz? I tried to OC'ed mine with 1.245 volts (Adaptive Mode). Stable sya, binalik ko lang to non-OC since upon gaming, hindi ko ramdam yung FPS gain ko (Used MSI Afterburner for performance stats).
  • ^ eto

• Share ko lang... may lumabas pala na bug or errata ang Skylake and Kabylake processors with Hyperthreading:

[WARNING] Intel Skylake/Kaby Lake processors: broken hyper-threading
    <click here for link>
    "Please note that the defect can potentially affect any operating system
    (it is not restricted to Debian, and it is not restricted to Linux-based
    systems). It can be either avoided (by disabling hyper-threading), or
    fixed (by updating the processor microcode)."

Most likely hindi siya big deal and very rare mangyari ang bug in day to day use, but mas maganda din na everyone is aware. Check lang mga BIOS updates kung may documented fix for the following:
    "Intel erratum SKW144, SKL150, SKX150, SKZ7..."
    "Intel processor errata KBL095, KBW095..."

-- edited by sleepygeepy on Jun 26 2017, 05:34 PM
  • Fact check: A processor with four threads coupled with high clockspeed might be good enough for today's gaming. although theoretically speaking we're now heading towards multithreaded gaming optimization, having a little more than four threads might be a smarter choice IF you are not upgrading too soon.
    Today, we're witnessing eight thread beating a four thread cpu in latest and upcoming titles (e.g. g4560 vs 7700k) but to extend it even more, few years from now we will see a 12-thread cpu beating an eight thread cpu. It's more about thinking about the upgrade.
  • Saw this at the FB page of suki shop...

ASUS Z170 Maximus VIII Ranger = Php 6,500 (clearance sale)
    Core i7-6850K = Php 19,200 (clearance sale)
    Core i7-6800K = Php 16,999 (clearance sale)

Sulit yung Core i7-6800K for Php 17K... you get 6-cores, 15MB L3 cache, soldered heatspreader, very overclockable too :-)
  • Hehe too bad you'll need an X99 for those 6800s... and hindi naka sale ata mga yun
  • Hehe too bad you'll need an X99 for those 6800s... and hindi naka sale ata mga yun

Sabagay... pero ok lang kahit X99 board kasi malaki naman natipid sa processor at matibay mga X99 boards :-)

Pair mo yung Core i7-6800K with the ASRock X99 Taichi (Php 13,350), add 4x4GB DDR4-3200 quad-channel memory, overclock the CPU to 4.2GHz... voila... very powerful but bang-for-buck 6-core Intel build :-)
  • ^

Wow good deal nga siya...Kung nasa akin pa yung extra X99 ko yan sana build ko sa Family PC namen ngayon...
  • https://youtu.be/WvxV5n23eK0

yep no wonder bumaba price niya
    go for it
  • Simula ng waiting game :))

-- edited by feroxss on Jul 07 2017, 02:43 PM
  • ^

Nice sir...X299 Deluxe yung akin...Congrats sir..
  • ^

Congrats din sir.. umpisa na ng mahabang habang antayan hehe
  • ^

Kahit konti lang difference ng 7900x sa 6950x pagdating sa Performance, maguupgrade ako sa x299 para kapag lumabas yung 7980XE ready na ako..Processor na lang bibilhin..:D