Forum Topic

TPC Canada Chapter

• Loot kong networking- Naka bid ako ng router from china na madaling palitan yung firmware basta open source nasa 15cad lang ata lenovo newifi bnew. Nakahanap din ako cisco sa kijiji at nag flash din kaagad ako ng tomato 20cad. Tapos wifi repeater extender linksys for 20cad.
  • ^ nice find! yung mga luma kong wireless-N routers from value village (~5cad) pinag-retire ko na and ginawa ko ng WDS access point. everything running openwrt. swabe all around the house malakas signal.
  • Hanep naman sa Canada. May help daw gov't sa mga walang trabaho ng 2k. Nabigyan kapatid ko pero may work naman sila ng wife nya kaya isasauli nila. Samantalang dito 5k o 8k pesos na nga lang, pahirapan pa.
  • @lefty

pag may income last year of at least $5000 (meaning you were working) based sa income tax filing, you can claim $500 a week for 16 weeks as emergency response benefit... tapos may increase din sa child tax benefit (each child you have, entitles you to get $$ as tax rebates), tapos may additional GST tax credit din... usually for 2 kids, we get around $400 Child Tax credit (deposited in our bank account), and GST tax credit for around $75 every 3months, so tataas daw yun... kaya kung marami kang anak, mas marami ka makukuhang Child tax credit..

Everything is possible online here, kaya di uso ang pila para kumuha ng ayuda, login lang sa Canada Revenue website, enter your SIN number, certify that you are unable to work due to that covid pandemic, and apply for the CERB (Canada Emergency Response Benefit) and after less than a week, nasa bank acct mo na ang ayuda...
  • Wow, $500 a week. Maraming pera ang Canada. Mataas tax, pero mapapakinabangan talaga. Sabi ni Patrick Paez from the radio show na Wag Po, dyan sa Canada, pagtanda mo, sagot na daw ng gobyerno gamot at medical bills mo. Laking ginhawa nun.
  • ^malaki nga ang tax pero nakikita mo kung saan napupunta. Sa pinas malaki din ang tax pero kinukurakot lang

Libre nga health care system dito kaya laking tipid. Mga health consultation, manganak, ma operahan etc parking pang babayaran mo.

Kaya kung may pagkakataon maka punta ng canada o kahit anong bansa huwag ng pag isipan pa
  • only gripe until now is hindi kasama sa retail price yung taxes, kaya pagdating sa cashier / checkout nakakalula biglang laki ng price. other than that so far so good naman ang experience namin sa canada. almost 5yrs na this June and also able to get a house last Apr, although we have to move outside GTA as the house prices are crazy there.
  • After awhile you get used to adding gst and pst on top of the marked price
  • mga boss, need ko ng keyboard laptop. san kaya may bilihan dito sa canada ng online laptop parts?
  • ^ usually sa ebay ako kumukuha ng laptop parts (thinkpad)
  • galawang rfd

<click here for link>

<click here for link>
  • Hello all!

May ma recommend ba kayo driving instructor near downtown toronto? Beginner driver lang ako. Meron na ako G1 and hoping to get my G2 soon. Mas gusto ko sana more on hands on and on the road.

Thank you!
  • @zyfer
    Hello all!

May ma recommend ba kayo driving instructor near downtown toronto? Beginner driver lang ako. Meron na ako G1 and hoping to get my G2 soon. Mas gusto ko sana more on hands on and on the road.

Thank you!

madami bro sa kijiji mura pa.. may mga license sila magturo..
  • Hello mga kababayan! Meron ba taga BC dito?
  • nice to be back here... anyone living in Ontario?
  • Anyone working here as Contractor / Consultant? kamusta naman?
  • Consultant here, pero salaried employee ako ng consulting firm...
  • I was a salaried employee then became an independent contractor. ask ko lng experiences ng mga members dito.
  • @normanocampo031205
    nice! iniisip ko din na mag-consultant kaya lang parang nakakatakot yung uncertainty kung may makukuha kang next project/contract.
  • @thachad098 - may mga pros and cons din but i found out that I can make more money as independent contractor compared to as being employee. maybe in my case only, i am not sure with the others.

by the way, anyone here who is holding dual citizenship? pros and cons? thanks
  • @@normanocampo031205
    yes sir, lahat may pro/con... not a dual citizen, mag-apply pa lang kami ng citizenship this Sept pero ang narinig ko na pro ng dual citizen eh mas malaking lupa or mas maraming property ka na pwedeng i-own kasi Fil citizen ka pa din. unlike kung di ka na nag-dual, may certain SQM lang daw na property na pwede kang own. di mo din ata marereceive ang SSS mo pag di ka dual. ang mangyayari eh ma-lumpsum lang yung contributions mo pero di sya magiging monthly pension once you retire.
  • @normanocampo031205 anong line ng work niyo? saan kayo nakakahanap ng mga clients?
  • IT related contractor/consultant here, though I would say the current company/client I have is a special case. It's basically the same company (U.S. based) that I have while still in the Philippines (also contractor relationship) and my relationship with them is around 9 years already. When I moved to Canada 4 years ago, they agreed to just continue the said relationship with some adjustments (like rates, etc). So when I arrived here, basically just stopped working for 2 months, and then resumed working with them (with new contracts, etc).

Also a bit lucky as the said client adjusted my rates to match rates in the west coast (and years of experience) without even asking (I've asked for some moderate increase during the annual contract renewal, but was surprised they've increased it almost 100%). Also, paid in USD so that helps nowadays.

-- edited by kyrios on Aug 02 2020, 08:13 AM
  • @adonis827 - power platform, business intelligence and analytics.

@kyrios - 100% increase is it because you are in PHP rate before and now became USD rate?

-- edited by normanocampo031205 on Aug 03 2020, 04:21 AM
  • Currently employed ako sa winnipeg pero madame din akong nakilalang nag freelancer na at mas malaki nga daw kita kaya wala na din silang balak bumalik. Pinag iisipan ko kung puwede sa akin iyon at kailangan ko ding magpalaki ng kita
  • @kyrios - 100% increase is it because you are in PHP rate before and now became USD rate?

When I arrived here in Canada I renegotiated my rate to adjust for COL and other factors here in Canada. Then two years after that, my client increased it to almost 100% of the said rate. Even while I'm still in PH, I'm paid in USD. If we compare it to the rate I have in PH, it's around 3.5x

-- edited by kyrios on Aug 03 2020, 12:06 PM
  • Suwerte mo nice company
  • yeah I would say luck is still part of the game. And almost forgot, actually discovered the said company here in TPC, so thanks to TPC I guess :). And also a good thing that I was into remote / online jobs (early years of Odesk now Upwork) at that time which exposed me to various upcoming techs and solutions, and one of that company's requirement is to use a fairly new monitoring solution.

By the way, if you guys have a lot of free time or maybe your family member, check out these sites for extra 'beer' money:

* usertesting.com --> basically you'll just review a website/app with regards to its usability (how user friendly, etc), for around 10 - 15 minutes and it pays USD $10 for each review. You'll be provided instructions on what to test and basically you speak out your mind (if you have difficulty finding the menu for example, etc) while doing the provided instructions, so you need a good headset. Some tasks are also done or requires phone / tablets (if testing an app), so make sure to also install usertesting there. As per my experience, there's a good number of tasks done on phone/tablets.

* userinterviews.com --> sister site of usertesting but is more for 1 on 1 or group moderated interview sessions. So you need webcam for those interviews. Tasks could be that you'll be ask to test maybe their software, website or maybe just an interview on a specific topic. Pay is usually done through gift cards like Amazon gift cards, and it's common to see interviews paying USD $100 for a 1 hour session. Even saw some paying USD $300 for 2 hours, though the tasks are IT specific and about a particular technology set or field.

Do note that on both usertesting and userinterviews, when you apply for the task, you'll need to answer a questionnaire to see if you fit for the said task or if you're the intended demographic. So you'll not get all tasks you apply for.
  • @adonis827 - ano ba line of work mo?
  • software developer ako normanocampo031205