Forum Topic

Windows 10 re-installation

• I'm currently running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit on my HDD and planning to move it to SSD. All parts would be the same.

Here are my questions:

1. Can I still use my existing product key if I reinstall it on my new SSD?
    2. I don't have an optical drive so I am trying to create a USB installer using Media Creation Tool from Microsoft. I'm getting an error "Setup has failed to validate my product key."
    3. Does the Media Creation Tool serve as the complete Windows installer? Do I still need to download the installer files so that I could get the tool working?
    4. I have a genuine copy of Windows but where do I check to validate my product key is genuine aside from System properties?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my queries.
  • 1. Can I still use my existing product key if I reinstall it on my new SSD?

technically you dont use the product key at least for win 7/win 8 users who had a free upgrade to win 10. This is what happened to me. Win 8.1 updated to win 10 free. Changed hdd to a new one and re installed win 10 from dvd. Didnt need the product key as windows authentication servers just recognized my PC as a previous win 10 pc and authenticated it without needing me to give the serial number.

It might or might not be the same for windows 10 bought retail.

try asking here

<click here for link>
  • @omensid if you can get an ssd upgrade kit mas madali, ganun ginawa ko sa akin eh, plug in the SSD using the sata cable to USB then run the app and then after completion eh kabit ssd nalang sa laptop and all done. No issue with reactivation or anything, it even copied my recovery partition.
  • sir ung bang mga nabiling laptop with pre-installed win 8.1 pwedeng i-upgrade into win 10? galing sa gadget plan ung sa akin kaso wala akong makitang product key
  • Di mo na need ng key. Automatic na maddetect ng Win 10 installation yung key mo from your laptop. No need to input any keys.
  • this is what i did with a toshiba laptop

downloaded iso
    created a microsoft account
    upgraded it to win10
    replaced hdd to ssd
    clean installed windows 10
    logged back in using microsoft account
  • BTW, I'm using a desktop.

@ AmalgamvsAloof

Free upgrade din akin kaso worried lang ako about my product key. If my memory serves me right, yung product key imprinted sa mobo mo. Even changing other parts except for mobo, considered as same PC. Tama ba?

@CrashAndBurn

Corrupted kasi yung profile ko kaya gusto ko na din mag clean install sa SSD na bibilhin ko

@goodtj

Yung iso na file installer ba pag nilagay ko sa USB, madedetect yun sa pre-boot? Sabi kasi sakin ilagay ko lang daw yung installer files sa loob ng USB then pwede na sya i-run

Thanks po sa mga sumagot!
  • from what i have gathered, kapag retail ang key mo from windwos 7/8/8.1 transferable to another system and windows 10, pero kung OEM key locked na siya sa hardware.

what i'm not clear about is my key which was a windows 8 upgrade key i purchased. i'm not sure if it's also considered a retail key.
  • paano ba i-upgrade ng free win 10? wala naman lumalabas na notification baka may link kayo on how to?

TIA
  • Even changing other parts except for mobo, considered as same PC. Tama ba?

afaik yes for OEM windows. If you previously had a win 8->win 10 pc that was working and was authenticated then theoretically you can change everything except the mobo and do a clean install. When installing choose "skip" when asked for the key. After installationgo online and the windows servers will recognize your mobo as a "suki" and authenticate it

on the other hand retail windows unlike oem is not tied to the hardware, pwede ilipat

Yung iso na file installer ba pag nilagay ko sa USB, madedetect yun sa pre-boot? Sabi kasi sakin ilagay ko lang daw yung installer files sa loob ng USB then pwede na sya i-run

I dont know. Para sure use the official make a bootable win 10 usb installer program

paano ba i-upgrade ng free win 10? wala naman lumalabas na notification baka may link kayo on how to?

It should be automatic if you have
    1. the proper version of win 7 sp1/8/8.1. Afaik di pwede win 7 so you have to update to 7sp1.
    2. Then kailangan legit ang key and activated
    3. then kailangan naka on ang windows updates

If ayaw pa din possible na incompatible ang pc mo sa win 10.

-- edited by AmalgamvsAloof on Nov 18 2015, 07:29 AM
  • may pang create ng usb drive insteller si windows use the windows 7 version it made my windows 10 usb installer you just have to set up your computer to boot off the usb drive first

just remove the old drive and replace with an ssd atleast if it goes tits up you still have the old drive
  • upgrading your windows 7/8 pc first to recognize activation is old method.

new method is clean install reinstall using win 7/8 keys and activate. This is called digital entitlement.

I still prefer the upgrade method for unsupported laptop like my sony vaio

-- edited by ryandegreat25 on Nov 18 2015, 08:46 AM
  • Regarding my product key, will it work with other versions like Windows 10 Pro Home for the reinstallation? Originally I'm using Windows 10 Pro.
  • if you have win 7/8 pro or similar version serial key then you can install win 10 pro with that serial. that is according from Microsoft.
  • Tested a Windows 7 home premium OEM COA key on one of our laptops and Windows 10 TH2 accepted it.
    After logging in to Windows activated na.
  • Ahh so pwede yung W10 Pro ko sa W10 Home Pro. Is there any major difference ba sa dalawang version na to?
  • Please continue the discussion on the Windows 10 (Temporary) Thread <click here for link>

Thanks!