Forum Topic

laptop ram upgrade

• Hello i have Asus K555LB-XX423T laptop that uses x555l motherboard i currently have 4gb sabi ng asus 8gb lang maximum ng ram upgrade kaya pero nagsearch ako and nakita ko na kaya ng motherboard ko ng 16gb ram. plano ko po bumili sana ng 8gb muna since un lang kaya ng budget plano ko po na 12gb po (kaso nabasa ko na dapat 2x8gb or 2x4gb) well since need ko po para sa unity3d po kaya po ako maguupgrade para kayanin po anu pong dapat ko gawin? any tips and advice? salamat po
  • I also have the same problem. I have a Lenovo z50 70 with 4gb ram. Planning to upgrade and to be futurr proof. Used mainly for Cad and rendering. Anyone have experiences? Thank you!
  • ^ First, look for the instructions on how to remove/install the RAM. For the z50 70, try this: <click here for link>

Then open up the laptop to make sure how many RAM slots your laptop has.
    A number of slim laptop models these days only have 1 RAM slot while the rest is soldered to the system board and not removable/upgradeable.

After that, determine the RAM type and speed. Use CPU-Z and look at the Memory and SPD Tabs. If you are unsure/confused, post screencaps on this thread.

You can also post pictures of the actual RAM stick, but make sure that the labels are readable.

As a general rule, Intel i series CPUs starting from Sandy Bridge (circa 2011) can support 8GB sticks.
  • to add, if 1st gen i series yang laptop proc mo medyo maselan sa memory mga yan.
  • ^ Not applicable for those two laptops (z50 70 and K555LB) because they probably have Haswell or Broadwell CPUs.
  • plano ko po bumili sana ng 8gb muna since un lang kaya ng budget plano ko po na 12gb po (kaso nabasa ko na dapat 2x8gb or 2x4gb)

I did this with my Neo L2DK laptop (Ivy Bridge generation) (1x4gb and 1x8gb), and assuming your laptop has 2 RAM slots, I think it possible with your laptop.

CPU-Z screenshot

Google search led me to these sites.

<click here for link>
    <click here for link>

I don't know how accurate these sites are but it says maximum supported ram is 12gb and 1xSO-DIMM slot and I am inclined to believe that the 4gb ram that you currently have is soldered to the laptop's motherboard.

The only real way to find out is to open the laptop's hardware.

-- edited by logbi77 on Jan 25 2016, 07:09 PM

• Thank you all for your inputs. Here are the specs of my laptop.
    Would I consider buying an 8gb to make it 12gb. I learned also that my CPU can support up to 16gb(2x8gb)

Another question is, will it work if I buy different brand of ram and different size (4gb and 8gb) but same in frequency, voltages and timings?

Thank you once again!

EDIT: I have 2 slots of RAM on my laptop. One slot is occupied by the 4gb.

-- edited by leyonds on Jan 26 2016, 11:31 AM
  • In my case, yes. Mine is a Hynix and Kingston wih same voltage/speed and timings.
  • ^
    Problem solved. Thank you very much, I will try on my laptop and hoping it would work.
  • ^
    Your laptop uses DDR3L-1600 RAM. The L suffix means that it runs at 1.35 volts as opposed to 1.5 volts for regular DDR3.

And yes, you can buy a single 8GB RAM with the same voltage, speed and timing and use it alongside your 4GB.
  • ^
    Noted sir. Thank you! I also noticed that. But I got confused in DDR3L and LPDDR3 but they arr both 1.35v.
  • Hi nahijack post ko haha jk ako naman po sir pahelp busy po ko for the last week since nagaaral po

both slot are empty?pero when i did a crucial scan 1 out of 2 po ang occupied di ko po maopen since under warranty and kakabili lang nung dec 2015 po

im assuming since onboard/internal ung isang memory kaya di siya nakikita?

btw thank sir logbi parang ang gulo nga po eh since crucial scan sabi 16gb and some search in google i search the motherboard says that 16gb is capable.. pero if 12gb is ok might aswell upgrade it since i need it to do my project. any tips on what ram should i buy? was planning to buy 8gb 1600mhz

btw mga sir/maam can you enlighten me about the nobuffer and single and dual channel if ever pwede po ba sakin is which?

-- edited by Tsukikou on Jan 31 2016, 05:30 PM

-- edited by Tsukikou on Jan 31 2016, 05:40 PM