Forum Topic

Q's regarding air cooling

• Mga peeps! Pinost ko to sa reddit (r/buildapc) pero walang reply so far. So copy-paste ko dito and hopefully matulungan nio ako.
    -----------------
    I have a completed build that has an i7 4790 (not OC-able), Palit Jetstream GTX970, on a Sharkoon VG5-W case. This is the first PC I ever bought on my own.

Here's what the case looks like:

https://www.sharkoon.com/product/1678/VG5-W

Playing Witcher 3, my GPU tops out at 80C with my processor topping out at the mid 70's (according to MSI Afterburner). It has 3 case fans (2 intake at the front and 1 exhaust at the back), that has 1200 RPM and around 46 CFM according to Sharkoon support. Using the provided stock fan as well for the CPU. Feeling the top-back of the case while gaming, it's very hot, because that's where the CPU is. MOBO is Asus B85GAMER

I plan to buy some new intake fans (something around 88 CFM max with higher RPM) and probably an aftermarket CPU fan. I'm hoping that even if the max temps remain unaffected, the temperature in the case becomes lower overall.

Now for the questions:
    What's the effect of the CPU fan having a higher CFM than the intake case fans?

Can I just buy new intakes and not the exhaust? I want to use positive pressure to avoid/minimize dust buildup.

For aesthetic purposes, what's a good CPU fan for my case that has blue stylings?

For budget reasons, what's the best bang-for-the-buck options do I have?
  • Let me answer some of your questions:

What's the effect of the CPU fan having a higher CFM than the intake case fans?

There's no relation. CPU fan only pushes air to CPU. Intake case fans pushes air inside the case. Having a higher RPM for your CPU fan pushes more air to your CPU (in theory) but this will remain true whatever the RPM of your intake fans.

Can I just buy new intakes and not the exhaust? I want to use positive pressure to avoid/minimize dust buildup.

There's no concept of "positive pressure" to avoid dust buildup. You are putting air inside the case. That's where your dust comes from. You can minimize dust by having some filters, at the expense of your case air flow.
  • There's no concept of "positive pressure" to avoid dust buildup. You are putting air inside the case. That's where your dust comes from. You can minimize dust by having some filters, at the expense of your case air flow.

correct. positive pressure with room air will not reduce dust, but positive pressure with filtered air will
  • try this first. open up the case then itapat mo electric fan.

That way the airflow CFM is extremely high and the cpu and the gpu fans are almost guaranteed to intake fresh cool virgin air. If mataas pa rin ang temps then you have some other problem like weak cpu/gpu fans, too small hsf, no thermal paste, poor thermal paste, heatsink not properly placed (hindi nakalapat), etc

do this before wasting money on more fans

-- edited by AmalgamvsAloof on Feb 01 2016, 06:42 PM