Forum Topic

PC Gaming on Linux (see page 1)

• Intel Core i9 9900K vs. AMD Ryzen 9 3900X Linux Gaming Performance
    <click here for link>

• TL;DW - Linux has 97% of the Windows performance. Not bad considering there is a DX11-to-Vulkan translation.

<click here for link>

• <click here for link>

<click here for link>

• <click here for link>
  • Indivisible - game play on Linux

<click here for link>
  • ^ astig yan, may south east asian influence
  • Descenders - The MODDING update is here!
    <click here for link>

• The Linux port of Shadow of Mordor from Feral Interactive has gained a Vulkan Beta
    <click here for link>

Since companies rarely make much money from older ports like this, it's quite fantastic to see it being given some love. Especially like this, giving it a big boost with a much newer graphics API. This is not long after Feral Interactive confirmed the Linux release date for Shadow of the Tomb Raider Definitive Edition and also announced Total War Saga: TROY for Linux too.

Without any further rambling, let's take a look at what kind of difference it makes for Shadow of Mordor. Tested on Manjaro Linux with an Intel i7-5960X and an NVIDIA 2080 Ti with the 430.40 driver. All these tests were done at 1080p and the Steam Play Proton version was 4.11-7:

If you wish to try it out, it's available without a password in the "linux_vulkan_beta" branch on Steam. To access it, right click on the game in Steam, go to Properties and the Beta tab and then select it from the dropdown box. As shown below:

Keep in mind this is a Beta and issues are to be expected. It may even gain more improvements over time, we will just have to wait and see on that.

Nowadays, all Feral Interactive ports to Linux are done with Vulkan. They seem to be doing the same as they did previously with Mad Max, giving it a Vulkan beta and gathering some feedback while not promoting it to the main supported release. Fair enough, this is a good way to do it to see how it goes.

• <click here for link>

Graphs can be found here <click here for link>
  • Shadow of the Tomb Raider Definitive Edition released with Linux support
    <click here for link>

That's a very well optimised port, at least when going by benchmark results the Linux port performs extremely well. After playing a bunch of it myself, it holds up too. The actual real-world gameplay is quite often better than what the benchmark shows, regularly much higher as benchmarks are usually a stress-test of course. During the gameplay, even with the 1060 on High settings it remained smooth and enjoyable. Certainly seems like Feral Interactive have done some outstanding work here.
  • Shadow of the Tomb Raider - Linux Vulkan has 98% of the performance of Windows DX12.
    <click here for link>

Downloadable performance charts can be found here <click here for link>

• <click here for link>

<click here for link>
  • sir interesting yun nakikita ko ngayon mga old PC games nalalaro sa raspberry pi 4 with wine. yun diablo 2 wala problem. gusto ko kasi bumili ng rpi4 for retro games emulation and basic office software/browsing lang. pero ang saya nun kung makapaglaro ako starcraft 1 dun hehe.
  • ^ Rpi medyo mahina. Install ka nalang ng retropie o kaya wine sa computer mo.
  • InWin Chopin with Ryzen 3 2200G would be a great portable PC for PS3/PS2 game emulators.

Use Manjaro

• windows 10 user here i've heard linux was way better question is manjaro friendly user i mean hindi ba sya magkaka problema sa mga steam games and all other apps

-- edited by BangBros on Dec 28 2019, 02:59 PM
  • windows 10 user here i've heard linux was way better question is manjaro friendly user i mean hindi ba sya magkaka problema sa mga steam games

Yes, Manjaro is newbie friendly. If you are using Radeon GPU, it would work out of the box for PC gaming (Steam and GOG). No need to install GPU drivers. If using an NVIDIA GPU, you need to install a GPU driver thru the Manjaro Hardware Detection Tool, don't worry, it's GUI based. WARNING: Do not download Linux GPU drivers from AMD website or NVIDIA website.

For Steam Window games, check ProtonDB.com for compatibility with Steam Play. Windows games can now be played directly within the Linux Steam client. Most games should work as long as it doesn't use intrusive DRM. Multiplayer games on Steam using Easy Anti Cheat or BattlEye such as PUBG and Rainbow Six Siege are currently broken with Steam Play.

Windows games from GOG and Overwatch can be run thru Lutris. I don't have experience in this so I recommend you check on Reddit for help.

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/

all other apps

Masyado broad ang topic.

Video editing - try Shotcut or Kdenlive. They are free and good for hobby video editing. For professional use, the paid version of Davinci Resolve can compete with Adobe Premiere.

Photo editing - use GIMP <click here for link>

Document processing - use Libre Office.

-- edited by bintsmok on Dec 28 2019, 05:53 PM
  • Valve's ACO Helps The Radeon RX 5600 XT Compete With NVIDIA's RTX 2060
    <click here for link>

• Buy Ravenfield at Steam <click here for link>. It's currently at 50% off.

Available for Linux, macOS, and Windows.

-- edited by bintsmok on Mar 23 2020, 04:56 PM

• <click here for link>