Forum Topic

Get error when try open MS-word.docx document

• Hello Experts,

I am cannot open my MS-word.docx document.
    The error it get is White space expected:Part:/word/docment, XML,Line,2 Column:642733.

I've tried everything I can think of! Including:
    Saving it as a .zip file. Which it won't
    Saving it as .txt: Which It will- But no help.
    Looking at it in word pad: Still no help.

How can I find:,Line,2 Column:642733. and correct it? or at least save what Ive written to that point.
    I have no idea what happened to cause this other than the flash drive didn't update on my last save...

Please please Help.. hours of work were invested....

Thank you!
  • are you having the same issue with any other docx file? if yes, Reinstall MS Office. if you're having issue with just a particular file, it's probably corrupted.

-- edited by mark_alice2127 on Jun 15 2016, 01:01 AM
  • I am more than sure that your file is corrupted.
    When a Word document file is corrupted, then you can try several methods to recover it:
    1. First of all, you can try the recovery function integrated with Microsoft Word, as follows:
    1) On the File menu, click Open.
    2) In the Look in list, click the drive, folder, or Internet location that contains the file that you want to open.
    3) In the folder list, locate and open the folder that contains the file.
    4) Select the file that you want to recover.
    5) Click the arrow next to the Open button, and then click Open and Repair.
    The "Recover Text from Any File" converter has limitations. For example, document formatting is lost. Additionally, graphics, fields, drawing objects, and any other items that are not text are lost. However, field text, headers, footers, footnotes, and endnotes are retained as simple text.
    1. In Word 2007, click the Microsoft Office Button, and then click Open.
    In Word 2010, click the File Menu, and then click Open.
    3. In the Files of type box, click Recover Text from Any File(*.*).
    4. Click the document from which you want to recover the text.
    5. Click Open.
    After the document is recovered by using the "Recover Text from Any File" converter, there is some binary data text that is not converted. This text is primarily at the start and end of the document. You must delete this binary data text before you save the file as a Word document.
    In that case, if that doesn't help, then it remains only to try to recover the file by using Word Recovery Toolbox. You can find more information at the link. <click here for link>

-- edited by kuiper on Jun 22 2016, 11:52 PM
  • See if the following article would help also:
    <click here for link>
  • To repair your corrupt MS Word file , you can try RecoveryFix for Word tool. The tool is easy-to-use and allows users to extract data from all file formats of MS Word i,e. .doc, .dot, .docx, .docm, dotx, and .dotm. To download the software, one can visit: http://www.repairworddocument.org
  • Apart from above listed tools, I would like to suggest Kernel for Word recovery software. This third party doc recovery tool supports the recovery of data from various file formats of MS Word such as .docx, .docm, .dotx, .doc, .dot, and .dotm. For more information about the software and to get its free trial version, visit: http://www.2010document.wordrepair.org