Forum Topic

Sky Broadband (All sorts of illegal activities will result to thread lock and banning)

• @Hamz
    Still subject for a regulatory approval. Also, part ng deal once finalized – SKY will also be shutting down their cable business. For sure, existing customers will be migrated to Cignal kapag nangyari yun.
  • yung tungkol sa cable, i used to be sun cable dati before it was bought by sky. na retain naman yung sun cable subscription and rates even after sky bought it, but only for a year or a little more. eventually na migrate na din to sky. same thing with telco, sun was bought by smart and may ilang taon din na retain yung current sun plans before na-migrate to smart. baka same model din this time with sky to pldt. baka lang mag improve yung service kung mag share na ng resources, gaya ng nangyari sa sun cellular noong pinagamit nila signal ng smart for sun subscribers.
  • MANILA, Philippines – Telco giant PLDT is set to acquire Sky Cable Corporation’s broadband business for P6.75 billion, further expanding the former’s hold into the broadband space.

The transaction involves the acquisition by PLDT of 100% of Sky Cable’s total issued and outstanding capital stock consisting of 1.3 billion common shares for P4.90 apiece.

The deal also entails that Sky Cable’s paid TV and cable businesses will be terminated, according to stock exchange filings submitted on Thursday, March 16, by PLDT and Sky Cable’s majority shareholder, ABS-CBN.

ABS-CBN said that Sky Cable’s broadband and cable TV services will continue while awaiting regulatory approvals. Once the deal is given the green light, Sky Cable said it is “committed to working with all its cable TV subscribers to ensure a transition to their preferred service.”
  • I am guessing cable TV business is not as profitable as it is before.

Another possibility is that the cable TV content contracts of Sky Cable is less favorable than those of Cignal TV.

I stopped watching cable TV since 2001.
  • Goodafternoon po. May nakapagpalit na ba ng admin password ng sm6400 dito? Salamat po
  • @filipinX
    I am guessing cable TV business is not as profitable as it is before.

Another possibility is that the cable TV content contracts of Sky Cable is less favorable than those of Cignal TV.

I stopped watching cable TV since 2001.

Apparently, Sky Cable was being subsidized by revenue from ABS-CBN's massive advertising sales and when ABS-CBN lost their franchise (and therefore TV network), that revenue stream dried up.

In addition, Sky has also been losing internet subscribers to FTTH service from the likes of Globe, PLDT and Converge as FTTH is way superior to Sky's misleading "fiber" internet that still uses copper coaxial lines for the last section to the subscriber, with all the problems and limitations copper has.

I also don't see how this new attempt will be approved by regulators (PCC, NTC, etc.) as PLDT's previous buyout attempt was blocked because of competition concerns.
  • yung dating competition issue was more tied to the abs tv5 merger. natakot sila na masyadong magiging malakas. yung ngayon di na kasali yung tv networks so hindi na issue yon. cable tv is a shrinking industry so monopoly na lang siguro ang sustainable. broadband internet industry has enough big players so i dont think magkakaroon din ng competition issue.
  • @krazy

Different president so different attitudes and terms.

Lopez and Pangilinan 2023 terms may be different from their 2022 terms to fit the PPC's concerns.

Like SM buying Goldilocks was delayed by a few years https://www.rappler.com/business/sm-investments-corporation-to-acquire-majority-stake-goldilocks-bakeshop/

@lxi97

ABS-TV5 merger was after the denial of congressional franchise. It was a way for ABS' content to get on TV5 in a more direct way.

@Everyone

For the purpose of legalities I expect the new owners of Sky Cable to have all existing Sky Cable TV subscribers to sign a new contract with Cignal TV. This clears the way of any unfavorable cable TV content signed by Sky Cable Inc to continue further. Feeling ko Cignal TV has a better deal with HBO, and other content providers.
  • Goodafternoon po. May nakapagpalit na ba ng admin password ng sm6400 dito? Salamat po
  • may nakapagrequest na ba sa Sky office na gagamit ng sariling cable modem(hindi yung normal na skyworth/technicolor/etc na bigay ni Sky)?
  • @idoleng
    Sky does not allow modems not provided by them to connect to their network/service.
  • may speedboost na daw? or for new accounts lang?
  • Speedboost is for everyall. Old and new.
  • ^ uy thanks sa heads up sir! <3
  • meron po ba speed upgrade sa 2299
  • May nakapagrequest na ba dito ng static IP? Or may extra bayad?
  • May nakapagrequest na ba dito ng static IP? Or may extra bayad?

Yes po, may bayad na 700 per static IP.
  • tahimik naman dito :(
    please share your current speedtest with sky.
    ty!
  • ^ konti na lang subscriber ng sky always maintenance din
  • ^ Everyone (including me) previously on Sky "fiber" has already switched to other real fiber internet providers (PLDT/Globe/Converge) as soon as it became available in thier area.
  • Former Sky bb and cable user here, the weekly cut-fiber issues of 2022-23 was too much. Switched to Globe, only thing I miss is certain "aggregate" and "streaming" sites seem to be blocked lol.

Tsismis time, the nearby Angel Burger lady claimed that a group of teenagers and young men on motorcycles used to hang out there late at night but were spooked away by patrolling barangay and police vehicles. They were the cable thieves, according to her.
  • speedboost

joke lang ata, balik normal speed. hindi lang talaga mabitawan kasi hassle ulit sa pag aaply. need pa ng hoa permit ek ek bago maglatag yung net company sa area tsk
  • Switched to Globe, only thing I miss is certain "aggregate" and "streaming" sites seem to be blocked lol.

Palit ka lang ng DNS.
  • puro technical issues lately si sky. sa inyo din ba?
  • puro technical issues lately si sky. sa inyo din ba?

sa ngayon wala. pero expecting baka pag dumating na yung bagyo baka mag down.
  • mukhang damay damay na kapag Pldt/Smart yung nagddown yung connection... ambagal ata ngayon ng Sky pati zzz
  • marami ba kayong technical issues lately sa area na laging walang connection? sa amin eh 2x ng week na ito wala eh, ranging from 6 to 12 hours na down.
  • Sa amin past two weekends laging down ang Skycable. Although sa huling incident sabi nila cable theft daw ang sanhi.
  • kakapakabit ko lang ng Sky Fiber 30mbps P999 ngayon lang. nakuha ko na agad yung rated speed. malakas ang sky broadband dito sa lugar ko, malapit ako sa cubao.

Kasama niya yung cable modem/router tapos may kasama na sky mesh router.

tapos pinagtripan ko itong Linksys WRT1900ACS ko, ginawa ko wireless bridge... buti gumana siya...

ngayon di ko alam kung bibili pa ako ng CAT6A... ^_^
  • Hi. Please help po. I have skyworth cm500.c2 with sky. Parati po akong nawawalan ng internet kasi parating nawawala yung ipv4 address ko after ng 10mins time. How do i fix this po?

<click here for link>

-- edited by kicker88 on Jul 23 2023, 08:15 PM

-- edited by kicker88 on Jul 23 2023, 08:16 PM