Forum Topic

NVIDIA Volta: GeForce 2000 Series

• Nakita niyo na yung Port Royale DLSS feature test sa 3DMark?

I just tested it. DLSS is the real deal man. Better performance with improved image fidelity. The grainy artifacts of the ray tracing on reflective surfaces also seemed less apparent with DLSS on. I hope to see this feature in real games rather than benchmarks. That said, TAA was crap to begin with so it wasn't much of an AA comparison, really.

<click here for link>

-- edited by MrBungle on Feb 05 2019, 01:10 PM
  • BTW, Jeff Kampman, former editor-in-chief, now contributing editor of The Tech Report just tweeted a couple of teaser graphs for an upcoming review:

<click here for link>

<click here for link>

• Nice ty sa links. Lmao 'just a GTX 1080'. Unexpected turnaround imo. Di ko pa natry will try when I get home this weekend. Kaso mukhang di ata siya pwede sa Ultrawide?
  • Just tested that new update...May increase nga sa performance despite of my lower clocks..

• The Good Old Gamer confirming Hardware Unboxed's observation
  • upgrade na to nvlink or sli
    Titan rtx

<click here for link>
  • Disappointing naman yung DLSS implementation sa Metro Exodus. :(

<click here for link>
  • MSI Ventus or Gaming Z?

• Expensive... but you get what you pay for :-)
  • Okay. I just got around installing BFV to test out the RTX and DLSS features.

First, the bad:

DLSS is blurry as hell. It's so bad that it makes me dizzy. The performance gains are significant, and it somehow gets rid of the occasional hitch or stutter I get whenever BFV is in DX12 mode, but those things don't make DLSS worth it for me. It's early days so let's see if this gets improved over time.

The good:

I have to say that RTX looks good. I can tell the difference with more depth and ambiance in terms of shadows and lighting even in multiplayer games. The reflections are a big plus. NV and DICE have done a great job in optimizing RTX/DXR to the point that I can get 60-80fps in a 64-player conquest game with occasional dips to 50+ fps @ 3440x1440 Ultra Preset with DXR set to medium on an RTX 2080, so DLSS isn't even really necessary at this point. However, as mentioned above, there's this occasional hitch or stutter that happens when DX12 and DXR are enabled.

This game is going to be relegated to my backlog indefinitely since these new features, and the game itself needs more polishing and optimization, and I just prefer the gameplay of BF1 over BFV. I have to say; I'm genuinely impressed with real-time ray tracing. I'm hopeful that DXR or VKray gains traction with industry adoption and continues to improve towards achieving photorealism in real-time graphics.
  • Nagmukhang fraud tuloy yung 3DMark Port Royale. Dapat baligtad yung screens. Pero pro din ako sa new features ng Nvidia. Sana mag improve in the future. Sakin lang ok ako sa move nila sa RTX.

Nag rebuild ako PC, I think I just killed my 2080 Ti. Di ko sure pero habang nag rebuild ako nakaramdam ako ng static sensation (yung nataas balahibo) while touching the GPU. Still haven't finished rebuilding but I hope na guni guni ko lang. My fault for not wearing anti static wrist strap at that point.
  • Dumadami na mga laro na na may RTX Support...

Got Metro Exodus..It looks good...Performance is also great..

Ultrawide works out of the box..

With RTX ON, DLSS ON and Max Settings on 3440x1440..I get about 80 to 90 FPS..Though haven't tested on Demanding areas yet..

Hoping for MultiGPU support soon because the First Two Metro Games has very good MultiGPU Support..

• Got this from the NV DLSS FAQ: <click here for link>

Q: Where does DLSS provide the biggest benefit? And why isn’t it available for all resolutions?

A: The results of DLSS vary a bit, because each game has different characteristics based on the game engine, complexity of content, and the time spent on training. Our supercomputer never sleeps, and we continue to train and improve our deep learning neural network even after a game’s launch. When we have improvements to performance or image quality ready, we provide them to you via NVIDIA software updates.

DLSS is designed to boost frame rates at high GPU workloads (i.e. when your framerate is low and your GPU is working to its full capacity without bottlenecks or other limitations). If your game is already running at high frame rates, your GPU’s frame rendering time may be shorter than the DLSS execution time. In this case, DLSS is not available because it would not improve your framerate. However, if your game is heavily utilizing the GPU (e.g. FPS is below ~60), DLSS provides an optimal performance boost. You can crank up your settings to maximize your gains. (Note: 60 FPS is an approximation -- the exact number varies by game and what graphics settings are enabled)

To put it a bit more technically, DLSS requires a fixed amount of GPU time per frame to run the deep neural network. Thus, games that run at lower frame rates (proportionally less fixed workload) or higher resolutions (greater pixel shading savings), benefit more from DLSS. For games running at high frame rates or low resolutions, DLSS may not boost performance. When your GPU’s frame rendering time is shorter than what it takes to execute the DLSS model, we don’t enable DLSS. We only enable DLSS for cases where you will receive a performance gain. DLSS availability is game-specific, and depends on your GPU and selected display resolution.

Q: Some users mentioned blurry frames. Can you explain?

A: DLSS is a new technology and we are working hard to perfect it.

We built DLSS to leverage the Turing architecture’s Tensor Cores and to provide the largest benefit when GPU load is high. To this end, we concentrated on high resolutions during development (where GPU load is highest) with 4K (3840x2160) being the most common training target. Running at 4K is beneficial when it comes to image quality as the number of input pixels is high. Typically for 4K DLSS, we have around 3.5-5.5 million pixels from which to generate the final frame, while at 1920x1080 we only have around 1.0-1.5 million pixels. The less source data, the greater the challenge for DLSS to detect features in the input frame and predict the final frame.

We have seen the screenshots and are listening to the community’s feedback about DLSS at lower resolutions, and are focusing on it as a top priority. We are adding more training data and some new techniques to improve quality, and will continue to train the deep neural network so that it improves over time.

Q: When’s the next DLSS update for Battlefield V and Metro Exodus?

A: We are constantly working to improve image quality. Recently we updated the core of DLSS so that you get the latest model updates the moment you launch your game. So make sure you have our latest Game Ready Driver (418.91 or higher) installed.

For Battlefield V, we think DLSS delivers a big improvement in 4K and 2560x1440 performance -- up to 40% -- for the corresponding quality, but also hear the community. For the next push, we are focusing our testing and training to improve the image quality at 1920x1080 and also for ultrawide monitors (e.g. 3440x1440). The current experience at these resolutions is not where we want them.

For Metro Exodus, we’ve got an update coming that improves DLSS sharpness and overall image quality across all resolutions that didn’t make it into day of launch. We’re also training DLSS on a larger cross section of the game, and once these updates are ready you will see another increase in quality. Lastly, we are looking into a few other reported issues, such as with HDR, and will update as soon as we have fixes.

Thank you for all of your feedback to date, and please keep it coming via our feedback page!

I guess that expains the issues I've been having with DLSS. It's also interesting that the Tensor cores can actually be bottlenecks at high framerates, lower resolutions and lower GPU loads. NV being proactive with regards to addressing concerns with DLSS is reassuring for RTX early adopters but I wonder if the continuous deep learning neural network training for every game and every resolution is sustainable for NV to do.
  • Gigarays.. It just works. :P

I wonder if the continuous deep learning neural network training for every game and every resolution is sustainable for NV to do.

I don't think so, no. Maybe, if they continue to price their upcoming cards like as of late, it might be or should be sustainable. Training their AI to be better at training itself will still cost additional resources. I feel like DLSS will have the same fate as SLI. Some games supported here and there, but will mostly cause some level of headache/s for most. But I'm still hopeful (mostly) since this is a brand new tech, and I want my 2080 to live longer than my 970. :)

On the other hand though, global illumination ray tracing, even as primitive as what we have today, is what I'm really most excited about. It's probably the most taxing of them all but it should provide next level realism. And I've read somewhere that it can reduce development time by putting just a few light sources and let the light bounce off objects naturally. It's most likely not that simple, though. But those reflection shit in BFV does nothing but annoy me. It's like the just did it because they can and they want to.
  • On the other hand though, global illumination ray tracing, even as primitive as what we have today, is what I'm really most excited about. It's probably the most taxing of them all but it should provide next level realism. And I've read somewhere that it can reduce development time by putting just a few light sources and let the light bounce off objects naturally. It's most likely not that simple, though.

I agree with you on this 100%

Ray-traced global illumination looks next-gen in Metro Exodus. As usual, DF made a quality analysis of the tech:

• <click here for link>
  • From Eurogamer:

PSA: The USB-C port on Nvidia RTX graphics cards isn't just for VR

<click here for link>

This is gonna come in handy. :)
  • Magkaka DXR support din ang Pascal models sa next driver update. damn

https://www.engadget.com/2019/03/18/nvidia-ray-tracing-tech-coming-to-GTX-cards/
  • Just waiting for my nvlink and Evga HydroCopper Waterblocks

Edit: picture updated

-- edited by dspboys on Apr 17 2019, 04:20 AM
  • So after testing the card for a few days, I am impressed by how much powerful the 2080 ti is over the 1080 ti. Even at stock clocks and air cooling, it is already faster than my watercooled-1080ti's maximum OC in every benchmark tested, see Firestrike <click here for link>. The memory error correction also triggers at a much higher frequency for gddr6 (above 1Ghz) compared to gddr5x (500Mhz+). This behavior can be seen in firestrike's combined test where it is possible to have a higher gpu and cpu score, but much lower combined scores. I'm excited to put this thing on water but sli needs to be tested first on air.

Although my cards can do +112 core, one of them is already at [email protected] while the other is only at [email protected] voltage point. Drivers play a major part on the scores, changing from 416.94 to 419.35 made me broke 17k gpu on timespy.
  • Hi mga sir may tanong lang po. Ok ba bumili ng RTX 2060? Yung RTX 2070, 2080 and 2080 Ti may stuttering issue kasi kaya iniisip ko kung meron din ang 2060. Salamat po sa sasagot.
  • ^ Huh? walang stuttering issue yung 2080 ko.
  • Panong stuttering po sir?
  • Artifacts pala mga sir sorry hehe. Nakita ko lang sa youtube na ganun nangyayari sa mga RTX cards specially sa RTX 2070 at 2080 Ti.
  • ^early batches yun sir and mostly sa reference card. Micron memory yung problem.
  • I think not all Micron Memories are affected...My two Zotac Gaming Amp RTX 2080Ti's are both Micron..Bought them back on October 2018 and they are both still alive until now..

-- edited by Odellot on Mar 31 2019, 04:47 PM
  • May nabasa ako na theory sa reddit na baka yung mga defective batches, affected nung chemically contaminated wafers sa TSMC.
  • Yung artifacting / crashing issue usually nalabas siya within a month of use. Karamihan within 2 weeks. So kung lumagpas ka ng 1 month medyo safe na. Ganyan ginawa ko sakin inintay ko muna mag 1 month yung GPU bago ko binaklas. Micron din itong akin.

@dspboys
    Nailagay niyo naba underwater yung 2080 Tis niyo? Kamusta performance ng block?
  • @jelome1989 isa palang sir nalagay ko, kulang ako ng retractable fittings. Kahapon ko lang nailagay yung block kasi nagbenchmark muna ako on air using 1 card then two cards. Yung pagkaengineer ni EVGA nung heatsinks on air, nagmmax ako ng 51C using a single card. Pero pag dalawa na yung cards, umaabot narin ng 67C at 56C yung isa, which is about normal for an SLI setup on air. Ang ganda nung hydro copper, sulit yung $199 for that.

I'm using soft tubes because I have a lot of quick-disconnects :)

In terms of performance, need parin pumili ng paste with high viscosity. ThermalTake Core X9 yung case ko, meaning vertically mounted yung mga cards. As with my 1080Ti's, yung mga lower viscosity na paste like MX4 at Kryonaut, nahihila siya pababa ng gravity at vibration nung pump (I always run it at 100%), so pagtanggal ko ng block, bale yung coverage niya sa gpu is nasa 80% nalang. Yung paste sa top 20% ay halos wala na at nasa baba na ng gpu. Umaabot kasi ng 67C on water yung gpu1 at gpu2, pero yung icx3-7 na sensors are less than 45C. Pinalitan ko ulit ng ICD yung paste and max temps na ay 47C... If horizontally mounted yung card, kryonaut and mx4 will be okay.

Eto yung nangyai sa 1080Ti ko after removing the block after a while

- gpu

- block