Forum Topic

*Sony Playstation 5 Thread (Flamebait posts will be removed)

• @axel how much yan strix
  • cevar_blackwing Send Message View User Items on 10 May 22 @ 03:30 PM #
    Is anyone using their PS5 with an LG C1 TV? How's the experience? Would you recommend this TV?

PS5 and C1 user here. Yes, I would recommend it. The console works well with this TV. All HDMI 2.1 features are supported in Game Mode:

Automatic Low Latency Mode (ALLM)
    120Hz
    Variable Refresh Rate (VRR)
    High Dynamic Range (HDR)
    Dolby Vision
    and so on.....

To add: The OLED panel has exceptional pixel response times for better motion clarity which is beneficial at high frame-rates and with fast paced motion in games. The TV has OLED burn-in mitigations present so I wouldn't worry too much about burn-in.

-- edited by MrBungle on May 12 2022, 02:19 AM
  • Another Satisfied User of LG C1 and PS5. Oled is great for both Media Consumption and Gaming. Keep in Mind that Oled is best use in a Dark or Dimly Lit Room.

I also Use my Aorus FO48U (Same Panel as LG C1) as my Monitor with my PC. 24/7 use since October last year, no Burn In.
  • @MrBungle & @Odellot

What are your Picture, Sound & OLED Care Settings for Home/Dashboard & PS5 HDMI? I tested the Brightness at 100% and the blacks looked borderline gray. It is completely different from putting your Samsung phone at 100% Brightness where blacks stay black, colors get more radiant and whites get burning white. My current picture setting is at APS then Game Optimizer for PS5 HDMI.

At Home/Dashboard, when I press on the remote's Settings button, it will sometimes turn on the PS5. I had to turn off Simplink to prevent this.
  • @cevar_blackwing

If you noticed, there are two brightness settings on the C1. Pixel Brightness and Screen Brightness. Perhaps you set the "Screen Brightness" setting too high which will end up looking washed out because that only boosts the white pixel in the W-RGB pixel structure of the LG OLED panel. Screen Brightness should only be set at 50 while the Pixel Brightness should be set to 100 for HDR and Dolby Vision. Your Samsung phone most likely has a different OLED pixel structure, without the white pixel, hence the difference.

BTW, do not use APS because it causes the OLED panel to dim.

Also, try to update the firmware of your C1 if you haven't already because those sometimes include not only fixes, but tweaks for the picture quality presets.

I did calibrate my C1 using an X-Rite i1Display Pro colorimeter and Calman Home for LG calibration software using the guides from Calman and TFTCentral <click here for link>. Take note that the above does TV hardware level calibration so you will not get exactly the same results just by adjusting the TV settings.

If you have no means for calibrating, at least for watching videos, I would use Filmmaker mode whenever possible for SDR, HDR and Dolby Vision as it is is the closest to the accuracy of a calibrated display, although there is no such preset in the Game Optimizer mode so you will have to manually tweak the picture settings of Game Optimizer mode to your preference. For SDR, the OLED Pixel Brightness should be adjusted to compensate for the level of ambient lighting in your room. Remember, in very bright rooms, OLED TVs tend to not get as bright as LCD TVs particularly those with FALD and MiniLED backlighting so in those cases, it would be better to view the OLED TV in lower lighting conditions.

Here are my settings:

Aspect Ratio Original
    Just scan on
    Reduce blue light off

SDR & Game Optimizer SDR

Picture:
    OLED Pixel Brightness 50
    Adjust Contrast 85
    Screen Brightness 50
    Auto Dynamic Contrast Off
    Peak Brightness Off
    Black level Limited
    Motion Eye Care off

Color - I did not touch these settings because the hardware level calibration process already configures this.

Clarity
    Adjust Sharpness 0
    Super Resolution off
    Noise Reduction Off
    MPEG Noise Reduction off
    Smooth Gradation Low
    Cinema Screen On
    TruMotion Cinematic Movement

HDR & Dolby Vision
    OLED Pixel Brightness 100
    Adjust Contrast 100
    Screen Brightness 50
    HDR Tonemapping off
    Peak Brightness High
    Black level Limited
    Motion Eye Care off

Color - I did not touch these settings because the hardware level calibration process already does this.

Clarity

Adjust Sharpness 0
    Super Resolution off
    Noise Reduction Off
    MPEG Noise Reduction off
    Smooth Gradation Low
    Cinema Screen On
    TruMotion Cinematic Movement

Game Optimizer HDR & Game Optimizer Dolby Vision
    OLED Pixel Brightness 100
    Adjust Contrast 100
    Screen Brightness 50
    HDR Tonemapping HGiG
    Peak Brightness High
    Black level Auto
    Motion Eye Care off

Color - I did not touch these settings because the hardware level calibration process already does this.

Clarity
    Adjust Sharpness 0
    Super Resolution off

Sound (I use wireless headphones direct to the Playstation 5 but when watching videos, I use the TV speaker)
    Standard Preset
    Installation-type wall mounted
    Automatic Volume Adjustment

AI Service - all disabled

HDMI SIMPLINK (HDMI-CEC) enabled. (Enable this if you want your PS5 to turn on and off along with the TV. If you don't want that, disable this.

OLED Care
    Care Picture Settings off
    Device Self Care > Energy Saving > Energy Saving Step Off

OLED Panel Care
    Screen Move on
    Adjust Logo Brightness low

-- edited by MrBungle on May 14 2022, 09:31 PM
  • @MrBungle

Thanks. I appreciate the effort you've put into this.
  • <click here for link>

Karamihan dito mayroon na ako :D
  • wala naman ako lahat nyan. Ok na siguro yung Extra sa kin,sulit na.