Forum Topic

Building SLEEPER PC (Ancient Chassis with Modern Internal Components)

• Building SLEEPER PC (Ancient Chassis with Modern Internal Components)

HI TPC MEMBERS

For those building and want to build sleeper pc like me let's share our ideas in modding and looking for parts (specially on where to best buy cheap old cases).

ENJOY!!!
  • Not sure if this qualifies as a "sleeper build" but more like "how to give an old PC case and old parts new life". Sharing some pics (before - strip down - paint - assembled) of how I took an old mid-ATX case from the early 2000's era and gave it a new life as the home of my oldie-but-goodie MSI H55M Dr.Mos board & i3 540 procie, paired with 8gb of Vaseky DDR3 and two 2.5 inch laptop HDDs (120gb & 250gb). Powered by a modest Zalman ZM400-LE. I'm running the rig naked right now with only an 80mm rear exhaust fan, and planning to put one side panel back on after I spray it matte black as well.
    Again, the purpose of building this rig is to see what you can build by only using parts you already have in order to make a minimalist and simple rig that can still be useful for everyday computing.

Strip it of dead parts: removed old/non-functional optical drive, Floppy drive, dead IDE hard drive, and dead rear fan

After some cleaning, I used Scotch Brite scouring pad to clean and rough up the surfaces

-- edited by vmartinez71 on Sep 05 2019, 08:49 PM

-- edited by vmartinez71 on Sep 05 2019, 08:54 PM