Forum Topic

Change PLDT Fiber Modem to another brand

• Hello

Is it possible to change the ISP-Provided PLDT Modem Fiber modem to another one from another brand like TP-Link, D-Link, etc. and still have the internet connection work? Has anybody done this successfully?

I want to change it since only LAN1 Port is working on the Fiber modem. All of its other LAN ports do not work. I need more LAN ports that are working so i can connect more than one router to the default gateway.
  • If lan ports lang naman habol mo, bli na lang ng 8+ port switch

For actually using a 3rd party ONU (directly connected to PLDT's fiber cable), backread na lang cguro sa PLDT FIBR thread (it's been done pero hirapan tlga)
  • ^yep pahirapan, its possible to use your own ONU by just buying that tplink ONU that have Serial Number cloning (which is the main thing that you want to look for ONU if you want to use your own ONU, unfortunately so far, only 2 tplink ONU equpment do this, and its only available in china mainly in alibaba or aliexpress). theres also a 2nd roadblock which is PLDT is binding your connection to MAC address (so if you dont know your wan mac address on your PLDT onu that you can clone you cant lease/renew a IP address), though this is technically can be solved by just using wireshark (requires bridge mode on your pldt onu to do this) to grab the mac address of the WAN interface of the PLDT ONU. Nahalata ko na itong issue na to nung ginawa ko sa friend ko yung setup ko which use your onu and use your own router. In the end na solve naman (take note mac wan address ng pldt onu is in different octet, usually nasa same octet lang yung mac address ng mga router with only the difference is the last 2 octet).
  • Paano if nag send ng update ang PLDT and then I am using my own ONU router which is another brand, kasi they have this auto-update feature on their firmware for all of their fiber modems.

While i am using my own custom ONU:
    1.) Will the update disable my internet connection?
    2.) Can PLDT detect I am using a custom ONU and then disable it? Does this violate their ToS or something? Can they void my fiber internet plan?

Well hindi lang lan ports habol ko, I need the device to also be able to port forward.

I'm still trying to find the post how they do it xD
  • ^

1. unlikely, but d ako marunong sa setup ni PLDT so do so at your own risk
    2. mac spoofing "might" be against ToS, pero outside of sending a tech to check (because mali config mo) unlikely malaman nila (again, at your own risk)

if port forwarding habol mo, just request bridgemode (as of recent, mejo hirapan "daw" to request for bridgemode, just keep asking every week and do NOT sign any waiver just don't)

(either that, or DMZ, which also works)
  • Well naka log-in ako sa adminpldt account (the one with advance settings)
    I do not see any bridge mode configuration, probably why nahirapan sila mag request.
    Pero i see DMZ option. The thing is medyo limited lang ang DMZ pala.

All it has is the option to enable/disable the DMZ and the field for DMZ Host IP

If I enable DMZ, then my entire LAN network is at risk? or not unless i connect the PLDT modem behind a router and then connect my computers from it? Dapat kasi magkahiwalay ang subnet ng DMZ and ang subnet ng LAN para hindi sha exposed see: https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-difference-between-dmz-and-port-forwarding
  • ^

bridgemode (ung totoo, not ung "bridge setting" sa PLDT ONU) can only be done on their end.

For DMZ, you only do that if you have a 3rd party router (sya na bhala sa ports and everything) to DMZ. Without a technical explanation, port forwarding (iirc) and most features are locked out of the "adminpldt" by default (full, as in FULL access only via waiver, which you don't need if bridged on PLDT's side / DMZ'd by you).

if PLDT ONU = 192.168.1.1, your router will be set to 192.168.x.1 (wag lang 1) and x.2 - x.255 ung usable mo (just remember to turn off DHCP sa PLDT ONU, and fixed ip si 3rd party router)

-- edited by GENTLEMEN on Apr 09 2019, 02:56 PM
  • @Gentlemen or to anyone who knows about the PLDT waiver

Is it worth signing it? What do you lose if you sign it? Nakahanap ako ng video kung papaano na ma-activate ang 3 other lan ports sa modem wifi:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWbEFCkehtk

According to them, you need to sign a waiver to have the PLDT technician activate the ports for you, but you can also self-activate it yourself via the process in the video.

I havent tried it yet. It seems sa comments nawawala daw sila ng internet connection but there was one user who was successful at least. '
    Pero if it works, I wouldn't even need to buy another router lol. Since i can just directly connect my device to the other lan ports of PLDT's home fibr router.