Forum Topic

Micro USB to Ethernet Adapter for Android

• Would anyone know where you can buy this locally?

This will be used as failover internet connection when the wired fiber account fails.

As wired fiber connections fail infrequently and to keep costs low this seems like a good & cheap solution.

When the small office's fiber connection goes down use this adapter to attach the Android phone to WAN2, set Android as a modem and buy P1000 worth of data.

Really useful if you want work operations to still go through content filtering of your router/gateway

This will work until the battery dies.

-- edited by hellbert on Jun 09 2019, 02:02 AM

-- edited by hellbert on Jun 09 2019, 02:04 AM
  • buy a failover capable router, thats a proper way to handle it.

this is more like a work around.

and not all android version support that kind OTG device, it will still depends on the flavors that the smartphone maker if they decide to include drivers for it, of course you can do a work around by rooting the phone compile the drivers based on source code (god who knows if that adapter have a source code drivers available) and install it on your smartphone/tablet.

but hey, if you really want one just go to shopee or lazada and type on the search "otg ethernet", or if you already have a USB ethernet adapter, just buy a OTG cable adapter, just go search it on shopee or lazada, like what type of socket your smartphone is using eg, "microusb otg adapter" or "usb type c otg adapter"
  • I've got a router that has four usb ports for load bslancing or failover if i wanted to. I used to have smart lte and my iphone as additional wan sources once, back when prepaid lte was still unlimited. Ah gone are those days. Just have to settle for sky + mydsl for now
  • @polka will get router with wan1 and wan2 but I’m talking about the adaptor that connects the android phone to wan2
  • @bravoexo which router is that?
  • @hellbert

Ive already told you where to look at, if your looking for a actual physical store, I guess you can start in SM stores? or maybe in Greenhills? seriously I doubt anyone use that kind of thing given that OTG only works on certain limited devices.

as I say go buy that if you want, though compatibility is your own responsibility, if it didnt work, probably because it just wont work on that device.

though most tablets support LTE/3G USB modems specially on tablets that doesn't have cellular support. I tested my old LTE USB modem on many android devices including the Android TV, it detects it fine and it will work as if your device have cellular support, but still take this advice of mine at a grain of salt, its still no gurantees that it'll work on all android devices.

• This one, Pepwave Max-On-The-Go router. Total of 6 possible WAN sources, 1 Ethernet, 1 over Wifi, and 4 via USB. Skybroadband is on the Ethernet (50/5), PLDT myDSL (15/1) on a USB-to-Ethernet adapter on USB 1, Wifi (sometimes I;d enable that to use my HotSpot off my S7 Edge that's on Globe Postpaid or my company Iphone's Hotspotm Globe Postpaid), USB 2-4, ( I have several USB modem dongles from Huawei and Alcatel that used to be filled with Smart LTE Simcards, but not anymore) Every connection is load balanced with Failover.... at the packet level.
  • @Bravoexo that's a hardcore router! Is it being sold locally?

@polka I was replying to your statement of "buy a failover capable router, thats a proper way to handle it."

The router with failover that we are standardizing with is Ubiquiti USG that has WAN1 and WAN2. WAN1 will be connected to PLDT FibrBiz account while WAN2 will either be connected to an Android phone when fiber goes down via OTG to Ethernet adapter or a LTE modem with Ethernet and no WiFi.

I am looking for ways to provide a failover without resorting to another 24 months cooper/fibre/LTE account subscription. Giving P1,000 load for data every 3-6 months is cheaper than P45,576 for 24 months (P1899x24)

Cheapest solution would be OTG to Ethernet adapter as all employees have a company-issued Android phone with company-paid prepaid/postpaid SIM. Will verify if Android phone assigned has the functionality of acting as a modem and pass data through micro USB.

So say when PLDT goes down they attach their Android phone to WAN2 and activate their Android as modem over Ethernet until such a time that fiber is restored.

Office location needs internet during office hours.

Looking for a plug & play solution with minimal end user involvement so even a child can do it with enough practice.
  • @hellbert, nope, got it off Amazon though a long time ago. Android as a modem / router was enabled by version 4.0 if i recall correctly.