Forum Topic

System X3560 m5 IBM server

• Hi, mga ka TPC. My boss gave me a task to fix this issue.

Issue: When you try to install RAM/Memory the system is only read by 32gb. Even I installed 64gb/128gb or more. I tried to follow all the steps in how to install RAM/Memory in the IBM/Lenovo websites.

Can you help me to fix this?

PS: The Server is good and working he just gave me the challenge to fix that issue.

Thank You!
  • good day..

what type of ram are you using? there is a dual rank(2R) and a quad rank(4R), it is same logic with dual channel memory in desktop pc, but instead dual rank needs to have 2 of the same memory specs, and quad means 4 of the same memory specs,

ex. you have a x4 (quad rank) memory you place that in order for it to work you need those 4pcs, if you only have 3 pcs and 1 is defective you cannot replace that single ram if it's not the same part no./ spec as the other 3..

if you have 5 pcs ram the best combination is 4/quad + 2/dual rank memory ( 4 pcs from quad rank + 1 pc dual rank) this will work... but if you want to add 1 more ram you will need to satisfy the 1pc double rank with its same part no./specs to since this is double rank..

server memory is not the same as desktop type where all you need to worry is capacity, frequency and version, in server environment you have to plan what type of memory you will use and what will be your upgrade path, the safest route are buying dual rank type memory that is compatible with your part no, why? so you will only need to worry for 2pcs in partner, even if you have many memory installed.. quad rank will give you better bandwidth and speed but will be harder for an upgrade path since you will need to have 4pcs in partner to make this work.. but you can mix and match naman like my example above.

also, you need to follow the label of memory sequence printed on the top cover of the server chasis depending on how many processor you used, if you are only using 1 cpu, follow the sequence with 1 processor in order...

-- edited by desvillar on Jun 18 2019, 06:57 PM
  • Post deleted #12232012