Forum Topic

Help: swollen battery in Macbook Pro

• Hello friends,

This is my first time to post here and this means, sobrang urgent. My Macbook Pro (late 2013) seems to have a swollen battery issue. I urgently went to PowerMac Service Center in Podium, kaso closing na sila. They gave me a chance to ask questions and was told that if the battery will be replaced, it will take 2-3 weeks ksi batteries are ordered in Singapore pa. aargh. I could not wait that long.

Is it still safe to use this? Upon my research, hindi na. Safest is just remove the battery and just use direct electricity. I can go to a shop tomorrow or next day naman to have it removed but is it still safe to use this kahit up to tomorrow?

Hope someone is still up... thank you in advance!!!

Ishna
  • In the unlikely event na sumabog ang battery baka lalo mas malaki maging damage.
  • just give it to them to replace the battery, lahat naman ng replacement service dito sa pinas lagi inaabot ng 2-3 weeks bago mapalitan. hindi na bago yan. kahit windows laptop like HP, Lenovo, Acer etc.... lahat lagi yung lead time nila is 2-3 weeks.

and afaik, all laptops today that have non-removable internal battery cant power up without a battery present inside the system, so hindi yan katulad dati na pwede mo alisin yung battery pack ng laptop pag sira na yung battery.
  • @ishna

Chances are you can still use the laptop on battery for a few more days but don't charge it anymore. Just be mentally prepared that if you see smoke emanating from the Macbook you have a plan in place and know how to dispose the Macbook properly.

Don't attempt to shake or squeeze the battery as it will make it worse, and don't leave your Macbook in a hot place like in your car parked outside or where there is direct sunlight.

It's hard to tell how swollen the battery is because you cannot open the Macbook without voiding some warranty. But what I suggest is try to deplete the battery as much as you can by using the macbook "normally". Just browse, type emails, or watch movies like you normally do. The less energy stored in the battery the less likely it will burst into flame. Now is also a good time to backup your files.

Then after using the Macbook leave it in a place that in case the battery catches fire, it will not do collateral damage or burn your house down. Put the macbook on a metal tray or glass tray then leave it near the kitchen sink or maybe your bathtub. In the worst case of a fire, better to let the Macbook burn by itself rather than burn down your house along with it :-)

However if you see the battery is severely bloated and the bottom part of the Macbook is already bulging from the pressure, then stop using the Macbook immediately.