Forum Topic

Intel 10th Gen Processors - Comet Lake, Cascade Lake-X, Ice Lake and more

• Opening a new thread for all things related to Intel 10th Generation Processors

- Comet Lake (Desktop)
    - Cascade Lake-X (HEDT)
    - Ice Lake (Mobile)

All CPU fans are welcome just be civil and respectful to each other. Competition is good :-)
  • Starting off with rumors on the new Intel Core i3-10100 with 4-cores and 8-threads :-)

<click here for link>
  • when do you think will the desktop cpus be released?
  • when do you think will the desktop cpus be released?

Maybe later this year or early next year that is my best guess :-)

Once you see rumors and leaked pictures of new motherboards circulating around like Z490, H470, and B460 motherboards from ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI, ASRock etc then you know a new CPU launch is coming very soon :-)
  • Post deleted #12258963

• Jim Keller is optimistic, but I'm predicting that we aren't going to see true next-gen (Icelake (Sunny Cove)/Tigerlake) desktop SKUs until Intel refines their 10nm process at least once or twice to get higher yields and higher clocks. I reckon a 2021-2022 timeframe.

Until then, Intel will probably ride out 2019-2020 with Comet Lake, which is sadly still on the 14nm node and another optimization of the Skylake CPU microarchitecture. Meh.
  • When Jim Keller came back to AMD circa 2012... after 5 years the result was Ryzen. Since Jim Keller joined Intel last 2018... I'm very curious what bombshell he is cooking after 5 years :-)
  • Since Intel is still stuck with the 14nm node for the next 1-2 years at least... they might play the hyperthreading card to be somewhat competitive with Ryzen. So 10th gen Comet Lake line-up might look something like this...

Not a bad idea if you ask me, as long as Intel is willing to match Ryzen 3000 prices :-)
  • Rumor: Intel is cancelling their plans for 10nm on the desktop and will move to 7nm by 2022

<click here for link>

Until then Intel will stick with 14nm for Comet Lake and Rocket Lake on the desktop. Hopefully this might be a sign that Intel will have no choice but to compete in pricing.

-- edited by sleepygeepy on Oct 15 2019, 06:26 AM
  • ^ if the rumor is true, Intel’s 10nm must really have been too ambitious and mismanaged.

I wonder if their upcoming 7nm will be a marketing driven 7nm node in name with less strict but more achievable transistor density, gate pitch and metal pitch measurement shrinks like how TSMC and Samsung have been successfully doing it for a while now.
  • I wonder if their upcoming 7nm will be a marketing driven 7nm node in name with less strict but more achievable transistor density, gate pitch and metal pitch measurement shrinks like how TSMC and Samsung have been successfully doing it for a while now.

Most likely the Intel 7nm node will be comparable in terms of gate pitch / metal pitch measurements to the 7nm node process used by TSMC and Samsung. If all three companies are using the same EUV lithography machines provided by ASML for their 7nm manufacturing, I would assume there would be no large technology advantage one company has over the other two. However we might see each semiconductor fab have it's own "specialty" on 7nm. Intel will probably get higher clock speeds, Samsung will probably lead in power efficiency, and TSMC will be a slight combination of both.

In the past Intel used to lead in semiconductor fabrication and supposedly their 10nm node would be the same as Global Foundries 7nm node. So if we would look at both chips under an electron microscope, the Intel 10nm node is already the equivalent of the 7nm node of Global Foundries. Not sure how it compares to TSMC though...

Unfortunately (or fortunately) Intel failed hard and did not have a backup strategy which got them stuck on 14nm forever :-)

I think at this point the terms 10nm, 7nm, 5nm, 3nm etc should be treated as marketing brand and do not reflect the true size or shrinkage of the fabrication process. What we should focus on is which process node gives the best clock speed, power efficiency etc regardless of the size of the node :-)

-- edited by sleepygeepy on Oct 23 2019, 02:22 AM
  • Rumors that the new Intel Core i5 will be hyperthreaded (finally)...

It looks like Intel's next-gen i5 will be Hyperthreaded - i7 becomes the new i5...
    <click here for link>

Showing 6-cores and 12-threads here...
    <click here for link>
  • The only way to get their mark back on the market is to be competitive with pricing against Ryzen. To think na at 20k you could get a very good Ryzen based PC. And also they should really up their game with the iGPU. Even Ryzen 3 2200g is decent in terms of bare naked cpu gaming.
  • ^ Agreed. Intel should lower the prices of their MSDT line like what they did to their HEDT segment with Cascade Lake-X. Having just more cores and threads isn't enough to stay relevant against the resurgent AMD.

As for the integrated GPU, as far as I know, Intel's Gen 11 graphics found on their new Ice Lake mobile processors are very competitive with AMD's APU graphics offerings. Too bad Comet Lake won't have Gen 11 graphics, so there's that.
  • Intel now slashing prices on their Skylake-X processors by 50% now that AMD Threadripper 3rd gen is coming...

<click here for link>
  • Linus is angry :-)

• Unexpected roadmap presented during the IEEE International Electron Devices Meeting (IEDM)

<click here for link>

-- edited by sleepygeepy on Dec 12 2019, 02:39 AM
  • New info from Videocardz

New and Featured Technologies
    - Up to 5.3 GHz with Intel Thermal Velocity Boost
    - Intel Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0
    - Intel Hyperthreading Technology across 10th Gen Core i9 and i3 processors
    - Up to 10 cores 20M Intel Smart Cache
    - Up to DDR4-2933 support
    - Enhanced Core and & Memory Overclocking
    - Intel 400 Series Chipset
    - 2.5G Intel Ethernet Connection i225 (Foxville) support