Forum Topic

The Philippine electric car thread

• A thread about battery electric cars in the Philippines
  • Had a few in the 80's . Super champ, Frog, Hornet and the Hot shot and RC10. Raced these bad boys in Greenhills with a few celebs.
  • November 24, 2022

Marcos will issue an executive order cutting to 0% the most favoured nation tariff on EVs like passengers cars, buses, vans, trucks, motorcycles, and bicycles, and their parts for five years. Current import duties range from 5% to 30%

<click here for link>
  • ano ibig sabihin nyan> anybody who wants to buy ecars in china, or example yung $1200 na ecar, pagdating dito, omport duties na lang eh 5-30% hindi na mga 100% > that's nice
    maganda yan para at least makahabol tayo sa neighbors natin na puro malalaki oil and gas exports kaya maski hindi sila magtrabaho at kumayod, buhay sila, sa atin kase imported lahat ng oil and gas natin kaya hirap tayo, but with this tech, we may no lonnger need oil and gas, silicon sands na lang

-- edited by domotico on Dec 04 2022, 05:56 AM
  • ano ibig sabihin nyan> anybody who wants to buy ecars in china, or example yung $1200 na ecar, pagdating dito, omport duties na lang eh 5-30% hindi na mga 100% > that's nice
    maganda yan para at least makahabol tayo sa neighbors natin na puro malalaki oil and gas exports kaya maski hindi sila magtrabaho at kumayod, buhay sila, sa atin kase imported lahat ng oil and gas natin kaya hirap tayo, but with this tech, we may no lonnger need oil and gas, silicon sands na lang

we'll have to see if kakagat ang mga car dealers, from whatever country and whatever company

I expect maybe 1-2 years bago magka effect sa normal car buyer sa pinas if ever
  • Sa mga magpapasok ng full EV, sana iregulate/standardized ng govt ung charging port. Mahirap kung iba-ibang car brands may kanya-kanyang plug types. Puro short range EV lang kapag ganun.
  • Sa mga magpapasok ng full EV, sana iregulate/standardized ng govt ung charging port. Mahirap kung iba-ibang car brands may kanya-kanyang plug types. Puro short range EV lang kapag ganun.

most likely we will adopt the EU standard

In Europe, the type 2 AC charger, a triple-phase plug, is the standard and most charging stations have a type 2 outlet

<click here for link>

For now, the Philippines has not yet mandated a charging standard, but since luxury European brands dominate the local EV market, CC2 and Type 2 are currently the most popular. The next two common standards are Japan's ChaDeMo and Type 1, which is what you'll find in cars like the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV and Nissan Leaf, while China's GB/T is what you'll find in cars like the BYD Dolphin, Weltmeister W5, or the Chery Tiggo 8 Pro PHEV.

It also must be noted that none of these charging ports are universally compatible. For greater flexibility, having an adaptor on hand is the best way forward — especially if your EV doesn't use CCS2 and Type 2.

<click here for link>
  • What I would personally want in an EV.

Note that I already have a car and this IC car would be for very long trips. And more importantly, I have a garage and can slow charge overnight

I am middle age and not that rich so I would sacrifice looks and bling bling gadgets for reliability and lower cost

* minimum 150 km range. This should be good for a round trip to my most visited relatives
    * when you buy, the car company also has contractors which will (included in the cost of the car) properly wire up a charging station. Maybe up to X meters good quality wire to a smart charging station attached to a wall. With free scouting the location and examining your breaker box so you know if kaya
    * I like my android cellphone, but I know that you need to look at touch screens to use them. So it is a safety hazard and a violation of anti distracted driving law. Controls like aircon controls (aircon is mandatory in the philippines) should be physical buttons that you can operate without looking. Maybe even include volume of the speakers
    * From a reliability and a cost saving perspective, I would not want a touch screen with a sophisticated computer running it. OK na ako with a bluetooth speaker with AM FM radio, and importantly, a mounting system for my cellphone. I use waze and I prefer having my cellphone do it.
    * Other bling bling like self driving, 360 degree surround cameras. ek, ek, I dont need it. Maybe keep it as an option for higher models
    * Performance should be equal to a toyota 1.3 vios. I don't plan on doing drag races. So too powerful of a motor is wasted on me

But automakers’ focus on large, battery-powered SUVs and trucks reinforces a destructive American desire to drive something bigger, faster, and heavier than everyone else.
    At least you’ll know there are others wondering why modern EVs are so needlessly big, heavy and dangerously fast.

<click here for link>

* Vios size sedan, maybe a little fatter and higher for the battery. At worst, size of a smaller hatchback for lower models
    * i think I would like regenerative braking
    * I think having no gearbox i.e. single speed only is acceptable as it increases efficiency and decreases cost and the electric motor usually has an absurdly high redline anyway

* the car dealership should emphasize that pwede sa baha up to a certain level
    * the car dealership should give sample computations as to how much the owner will save vs a normal IC car and how long bago mag break even. Including lesser spending on maintenance
    * car dealer should emphasize that they have spare parts available
    * maybe max 1.5 milllion peso price

* IMHO ring tones should ba mandatory. By ring tone I mean may small speaker ported to the outside that plays a sound so that pedestrians will hear and will get out of the way. Bonus points if the ring tone is changeable. It could be as simple as a water proofed cheap self contained speaker that has a micro Sd card where you put in the mp3 file you want. And there is a connection to the throttle which adjusts the volume automatically

addendum
    * There should be a good warranty. Say 5 years or 120,000 km on the battery, lower warranty for the rest of the car. And they should specify what is the allowable degradation in range that is allowable per year
    * must be compatible with a widely used standard, although wala pa standard sa pinas. See previous post

-- edited by AmalgamvsAloof on Jan 11 2023, 03:04 AM
  • I use the android app Fuelio as the source for the gas consumption and costs of my current car, which is a honda Mobilio. Current cost of the 2023 model is between 895,000 and 1.085 Million depending on the variant. Lets say 1 million to make the math easier. Since I have an older 2016 model and no 2023 model we have to assume that the cost and fuel economy is the same.

I have been interested in EV’s for some time as a cost savings measure. So lets see if an EV will save me money

Cheapest decent EV in my country is probably the BYD dolphin at php1.7 million. I have a garage so I charge at home only. So difference of php700,000

According to the app, driving 100km costs around php451 with my gas car. And all costs including fuel + 10,000 km oil change and service costs for 2022 were php61,000. 5188 km driven in 2022

The BYD dolphin gets 11–14 kwh per 100km. Say its 14. 14 x 5188 / 100 = 726.32 kwh per year. Assume zero other costs like servicing as there is no change oil

Cost of 1 kwh is around php7.1291 /kwh based on the meralco website. I’m too lazy to check my actual power bill so lets just assume its ok. 7.1291 per kwh x 726.32 kwh = php 5178.00

5178 vs 61,000 per year. Wow, I’m not 100% sure of my math and my actual figures but its like 11.7x cheaper per year.

I save php 55k a year. It will take me 12 years to break even and recoup the higher cost of an EV. Ouch. And that assumes the battery does not need major service

The nissan leaf costs php 2,798,000.00 so for the nissan leaf, assuming same mileage, 32 years
  • whoops a slight mistake in my stats

its 11,336 km in 2022.

Sooo lets recompute. 11336 x 14 kwh per 100km / 100 = 1587 kwh per year

php7.1291 /kwh x 1587 = php 11,314 per year

php 61,000 - php 11314 = php 49,686 savings per year

700000 / 49,686 = break even in 14 years
  • Mahal pa din masyado EVs sa pinas. Di ramdam ung tax break.
  • [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOA7qKMcjcE[/youtube]

<click here for link>

China's Flagship EVs are Exploding in Huge Numbers
  • The End of Lithium P3! Elon Musk Revealed ALL-NEW Shock Battery Tech, Change Entire Industry!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq5FWLhlzDQ