Forum Topic

The PC Audio Thread: Sound Cards, On-Board Audio, Speakers, Headsets: New Products and Reviews

• You buy an external DAC if you need better sound quality.

ohhh.. i see... what kind of DAC model do i need? any recommendation?
  • ohhh.. i see... what kind of DAC model do i need? any recommendation?

Maraming selection depende sa budget mo.

Check out the SMSL Q5 PRO na pinost ni sir SleepyGeepy.

I primarily use a headphone DAC rather than speakers eh so hindi kaya iyon ang speakers unless actively powered ang speakers mo.
  • Maraming selection depende sa budget mo.

wala kasi akong idea kung mag kano sila e.. i think kung 5-8k kaya sir my makikita nakong magandang DAC?
  • That's the price of the SMSL Q5 PRO sa amazonian. Punka ka sa itlogan baka mayroon silang unit para mademo mo.
    Punta karin sa TPC HeadFi tread para matulungan ka nila ng husto tungkol sa recommended DACs.
  • Guys question maganda po ba ang quality ng mic ng Siberia v2? I'll use it for 8x8, Skype, Dota 2 can I hear your suggestions? Thanks!
  • Guys question maganda po ba ang quality ng mic ng Siberia v2? I'll use it for 8x8, Skype, Dota 2 can I hear your suggestions? Thanks!

up for this... naghahanap rin po ako ng magandang quality ng mic and mas ok ba yung 5.1 surround sound pag headset? any suggestions? will be using in Dota 2 as well and in The Division...
  • @immortalkings
    up for this... naghahanap rin po ako ng magandang quality ng mic and mas ok ba yung 5.1 surround sound pag headset? any suggestions? will be using in Dota 2 as well and in The Division...

Thanks, di ko kasi alam kung makakamura ako pag eto binili ko kasi bundled with mice, pad, keyboard, pero ang importante kung maganda ang quality ng sound and mic.
  • @Yohan831 sir can you post some pics of your speaker (not the one on the website)?

i'll try to take some actual pics pero from the website it looks very much the same naman as the actual.
  • Suggestions for good speakers and, headphones for gaming?:))
    Budget is around 3k for each.:)

-- edited by Z_Gamer on Feb 11 2016, 04:04 AM
  • @Z_Gamer

Creative Gigaworks T20 Series II
  • @Z_Gamer
    Suggestions for good speakers and, headphones for gaming?:))
    Budget is around 3k for each.:)

For speakers also take a look at Edifier R1280T if you want small bookshelf style speakers.

For headphones maybe take a look at the following:

- Creative Aurvana Live!
    - Audio-Technica ATH-M30X
    - Superlux Headphones (all are below 2K)

What I suggest is instead of buying both speakers and headphones, combine your budget and buy speakers worth Php 6K or headphones worth Php 6K :-)
  • naghahanap rin po ako ng magandang quality ng mic and mas ok ba yung 5.1 surround sound pag headset? any suggestions? will be using in Dota 2 as well and in The Division...

up ko lang po.. .budget nasa 5-6k
  • Meron ba saten nung SMSL?
  • Hi all,

Baka sakali lang may alam, I have this amp and PA speaker. Anyone knows what port should I use in the amp for this speaker? I have three speakers and 1 amp. This is an 8ohm speaker.

Shall I connect the black to the negative port and the red to the 8ohm port?

TIA
  • Guys suggest naman kayo ng 2.1 setup na:

- Para sa TV
    - Kahit di masyado bumabayo yung bass, ang importante malinaw ang dialogue, mids at highs
    - 7k or below

So far yung Logitech Z623 ang pasok dito sa specs ko e, pero wala na ba iba?

TIA
  • Hello mga sir. Considering buying the swans gt1000 from pchub for gaming and movie duties. Naka sale eh. Pero before i pull the trigger, meron po bang mas ok na setup lile a lepai ampli plus nice bookshelf speakers na pwede ko gawin? May nakita akong jbl bookshelf speakers for just a little more than the gt1000. Also are the lepai amplifiers able to accept subwoofers? Kinda new to all of this.

Also have cloud2 headsets na plano ko iupgrade ung usb soundcard to a xonar u7 or creative g5. Is that recommended? Thanks po
  • @fakuryu

Thanks for the suggestion sir!:)

@sleepygeepy

what would you recommend @ 6k na speakers/headphones?:))
  • @Z_Gamer
    what would you recommend @ 6k na speakers/headphones?:))

Ok I admit I'm more of a headphone guy, so I might not be able to give good recommendations for speakers costing Php 6K. But for headphones there are plenty choices you might want to consider:

Gaming Headsets
    - Sennheiser G4ME Zero (Php 7.5K) >> On sale at TipidPC at almost 50% off
    - SteelSeries Siberia v2 (Php 5.2K ~ Php 6K) >> Price depends on variant
    - ASUS STRIX DSP Gaming Headset (Php 5,730)
    - Kingston HyperX Cloud II Gaming Headset (Php 4050) >> Bang-for-buck headset with very good reviews

For regular headphones that you would use for music, movies, all-around use... I would recommend looking at the Headphiles Marketplace in FB for good deals. You can also haggle with the seller and get a lower price depending on the condition of the headphone. Here are some I just saw now:

Regular Headphones (2nd hand)
    - Audio Technica ATH-M50 (Php 4,500)
    - Sennheiser Momentum Over-Ear Black (Php 5,000)
    - Sennheiser HD 558 (Php 6,500)
    - Sennheiser HD-598 (Php 7,000)
    - Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 80 Ohm Edition (Php 7,000)

Now for speakers... not many available that I can think of... but here are some you might want to look at:

Powered Bookshelf Speakers
    - Edifier R1600T III (Php 4,000) = Bookshelf style speakers
    - Edifier Studio 7 - R2700 (Php 5,800) = Big bookshelf style speakers
    - Swans HiVi D1010-IV 2.0 (Php 5,340) = Bookshelf style speakers
    - Swans HiVi D1080MKII 08 2.0 (Php 7,020) = Bookshelf style speakers

BTW I'm getting an affordable Edifier Studio 2 - R1280T small bookshelf speaker tomorrow... will test it and let you know if it sounds good :-)

Edifier Studio 2 - R1280T (Php 2,450)

-- edited by sleepygeepy on Feb 13 2016, 05:08 AM
  • @Z_Gamer

Since tumaas na pala budget mo to 6k:

Swans HiVi D1080MKII 08 2.0 - 7020php
    Logitech Z623 2.1 THX - 6200php
    Creative Gigaworks T40 Series II 2.0 - 5900php

These are pretty damn good speakers for the price range mo but mahirap mag suggest ng audio equipment since subjective ang perception ng tao sa sound quality.
  • @fakuryu and sleepygeepy

Maraming salamat uli sa tulong mga sir! Will look at all those suggestions.:))
    And sir sleepy nice will wait for your insight on those speakers.:))
  • - ASUS STRIX DSP Gaming Headset (Php 5,730)

gusto ko to kaso walang masyadong review... :(
  • Mukhang okay yung R1280T ah. Pa-feedback naman sa mids and highs nya and soundstage?
  • Just got the Edifier R12800T yesterday... nagulat ako dahil ambigat pala niya from carrying the box. Feels like carrying two ATX PSUs hehe...

Build quality looks very good and feels solid, but I underestimated their size. They are bigger than expected and each speaker is about the size of a small shoebox. Thankfully I did not get the bigger Edifier model.

Sorry hindi ko pa ma test dahil may videoke session sa kapitbahay *sigh*
  • Sino ba distro ng Edifier dito sa Pinas ? Ok ba ang customer service nila ? Yun bang distro ay repair center na rin ?

Mukhang ok yang Edifier R1280T na pamalit sa Edifier M3300SF ko :)

Thanks
  • Patiently waiting for the R12800T review :)
  • Sorry guys for the poor picture... just used a tablet camera and flash is not so good. But just wanted to give you an idea how the speakers look like (size-wise) beside a 27-inch monitor. The wood finish matches well with my desk hehe...

Also they are not that heavy, maybe na exaggerate ko lang as I was lugging the box under one arm. But the speakers themselves are hefty for their price and solidly built. Knocking on the side of the speaker cabinet does not give out that hollow ringing sound so looks like it is made from dense fiber board.

The dust covers are also a bit hard to remove, so be careful when removing them. The speakers include standard speaker wire which is a plus, so you can use regular speaker of any length to connect both speakers.

I'm just waiting for the neighbors to quiet down, then I will do some sound tests with my external DAC :-)

-- edited by sleepygeepy on Feb 15 2016, 07:46 AM
  • mga sirs..

pa-suggest naman among these 2

Audio-Technica ATH-ANC23 <click here for link>

SoundMAGIC E10 <click here for link>

or anything po in the same price range sa ama*on.

salamat po

-- edited by ojay_c on Feb 15 2016, 12:19 PM
  • Out of the box sound impressions of the R1280T

Disclaimer: These are just my personal impressions and I'm not a audiophile expert or guru. I listen mostly to headphones so please take my comments with a grain of salt :-)

So I plugged the R1280T to my external DAC and prepared to play a couple of FLAC files that I'm familiar with on foobar. I set the treble and bass knobs to the default zero setting. The volume knob is interesting as it is a stepped digital volume so you can feel each "increment" when you turn the knob. The volume knob does not have a min-max limit so you can dial the knob more than 360 degrees and it will keep on going. You do get fine-grained volume control which is nice. I also tried maxing out the volume and it was pretty loud for a bookshelf speaker. The sound does not distort even at higher listening volumes and only maybe near the max level do you hear the sound breaking up.

One thing I immediately noticed is that I was listening too close to the speakers and not getting the correct sound "image" from my desk. So I moved my chair back about 4-5 feet away and I felt this was the optimum listening position. Thankfully the speakers comes with a remote so it was easy to adjust the volume of the speakers while listening at a distance. The speakers were also positioned a bit low and were below my ear level so I got a lower chair hehe... I think elevating the speakers a few inches using stands or books or tilting them backwards a few degrees will help improve the listening experience.

Bass Sound
    Hokay... this is not a bassy speaker at all and you won't get that low-frequency sub-woofer sound. The bass is detailed and sounds relatively tight without that boomy hollow sound common to cheap plastic PC speakers. The bass is there and you can definitely hear it but it lacks punch or impact. Adjusting the bass knob just makes the bass sound louder but does get boomy so it does not improve the bass quality that much. Overall the bass is good but it will not satisfy bass lovers or those who listen to electronica or DJ music.

Treble Sound
    The treble in my opinion is probably the weakest point of this speaker. It sounds soft and lacks detail but at least it is not harsh sounding (matinis sa tenga). Cymbals sound swishy with a soft sound and lacks any energy or that shimmering sound. Sorry folks, nothing much to say about the treble but it just sounds average. It's a budget speaker after all so I'm still keeping low expectations.

Midrange Sound
    Aha... now the midrange is probably the strongest point of this speaker. Vocals sound open, natural sounding, and have that airy quality. There were times the sound reminded me of the Sennheiser HD600 (a headphone that costs 10x more). I listened to Norah Jones and Colbie Caillat on the R1280T and the vocals were pretty good... I ended up letting the songs finish because of the vocals. Other midrange sounds like piano, guitars, and light bass sound very good on this speaker as well. Overall I would say the midrange sound of the R1280T shoots above it's price point. If you listen mostly to acoustic tracks, ballads, soft jazz, or mellow rock / pop music I think this speaker is a good match.

Other quirks
    - The remote is tiny and very handy to use but it's kinda laggy and you have to depress the volume button about a split second longer to hear it take effect. Also the IR receiver is the size of a 25 centavo coin on the right speaker so you have to aim the remote properly.

- The treble, bass, and volume controls are on the right side of the right speaker so they are out of reach most of the time (even on a desk).

- Speaker covers are stiff to remove and you have to pop them off carefully by having a firm hold on the speaker.

- If you turn off the speakers or leave them unused for some time they forget the original volume setting. So if you are listening at low volume levels, turning them on will set them back to the default volume setting and you have to adjust again.

Summary
    Overall I would say the Edifier is a bang-for-buck speaker given the Php 2.4K price point and it looks very handsome as well and does not look / feel cheap. I think the speaker needs a few hours of break-in and it will probably sound better after a couple of days (hopefully). They are very good for casual listening of music as long as you don't have high expectations on the speakers. This is not by any means a Hi-Fi speaker but it sounds a lot better than most PC speakers I have used over the years.

Anyway for those interested in buying the Edifier R1280T, hope the mini review helps :-)

-- edited by sleepygeepy on Feb 16 2016, 01:24 AM
  • ^
    Thank you for that very good impression. We now have an idea how it would sound like :)

Let us know if there will be any improvements after maybe around 30 hours of listening time/burn in.
  • @sleepygeepy

nice review, what amp/dac di you use? also any thoughts for an additional subwoofer for the setup?