Forum Topic

The PC Audio Thread: Sound Cards, On-Board Audio, Speakers, Headsets: New Products and Reviews

• Currently using edifier m1386 sa pc. Kaso need ko bumili for our tv. Anong brand massuggest nyong sound bar or speaker pang movies sa TV worth 5-7k?

-- edited by rampz on Dec 15 2020, 08:09 PM
  • @rampz

Gamit ko Edifier R1280DB, super sulit naman siya, kahit walang subwoofer, ramdam parin yung bass, depende nalang sa adjustment mo ng treble/bass. Sa budget mo, you can go for the higher model. Tapos settings ko ng audio is TV Speaker + Optical, kaya parang nagkakaroon ako ng parang "surround" dahil sa output nung tv speakers, not totally surround though dahil nga nasa harap lang naman lahat ng speakers, lol.
  • ^haha. sige2. Check ko din. Thank you!
  • rampz Send Message View User Items on 15 Dec 20 @ 06:02 PM #

Currently using edifier m1386 sa pc. Kaso need ko bumili for our tv. Anong brand massuggest nyong sound bar or speaker pang movies sa TV worth 5-7k?

Consider this SB, no need to buy expensive brand, check the price on Online Store...

• guys ok kaya un razer hammerhead wireless pro un latest?.coming from their previous hammerhead wireless
  • @mamba024

uys ok kaya un razer hammerhead wireless pro un latest?.coming from their previous hammerhead wireless

Been looking at some BT IEMS for the past week, hindi ko alam ang tunog ng Razer Hammerhead pero I'd check out yung Soundpeats Truengine 3SE
  • mpow m30 or tronsmart apollo - alternatives for hammerhead wireless.
  • why alternative? hindi ba ok s inyu hammerhead? i like the sound nitong hammerhead wireless, if only sound isolation ok na ok na sana hehe
  • hello guys pulled the trigger on edifier r200db, now how to maximize the SQ of this speaker? do i need to buy separate DAC? i connected it to my PC on MSI mobo with Realtek ALC 1200 codec.

thank you in advance!
  • docchrisedwin Send Message View User Items on 05 Jan 21 @ 06:50 PM #
    hello guys pulled the trigger on edifier r200db, now how to maximize the SQ of this speaker? do i need to buy separate DAC? i connected it to my PC on MSI mobo with Realtek ALC 1200 codec.

it's a powered speakers so there's no need to have a separate DAC/amp.
  • it's a powered speakers so there's no need to have a separate DAC/amp.

thank you for response, yes its powered speaker, i only wonder if i can observe increase in sound quality when using external DAC. i use optical cable by the way.
  • it's a powered speakers so there's no need to have a separate DAC/amp.

thank you for response, yes its powered speaker, i only wonder if i can observe increase in sound quality when using external DAC. i use optical cable by the way.
  • thank you for response, yes its powered speaker, i only wonder if i can observe increase in sound quality when using external DAC. i use optical cable by the way.

I use a DAC (chord mojo) for my speakers (kef ls50 wireless, altec lansing ada890, creative 510D) and there is noticeable difference. However, the reward-cost ratio is not enticing given that the dac is more expensive than the last two speakers :-)
  • Post deleted #12354149
  • @docchrisedwin

In my case, the optical output of the onboard Realtek audio on my motherboard sounds inferior. The output level and sound quality is lower compared to the straight USB output to an external DAC. I did some research and the optical digital output is still processed by the Realtek audio codec chip which is not clean and is not a true digital pass through.

You're likely going to get a better result getting a good USB DAC connected to the line input of your Edifier speakers
  • I use a DAC (chord mojo) for my speakers (kef ls50 wireless, altec lansing ada890, creative 510D) and there is noticeable difference. However, the reward-cost ratio is not enticing given that the dac is more expensive than the last two speakers :-)

Agree, using a high-end DAC is only useful if you have speakers with good enough quality to actually make the effect of the DAC audible. After all, most of the sound quality is a function of the speakers to begin with. In other words, it's possible to install a good DAC in the audio chain but you'll barely notice a difference (if at all) if the speakers aren't up to the task.

I'm actually waiting for someone to sell a second-hand Chord Mojo somewhere; I missed buying one in another audio forum. Unfortunately, I haven't seen one being sold in over a year. But in my case it isn't for my cheap Swans HiVi M10 2.1 speakers, but for my Unique Melody Miracle, a 6-driver custom IEM I got years ago for pretty cheap (~32k promo, SRP was 1000$). The M10 is connected to the computer's onboard Realtek audio but the Miracle is connected to a low-end FiiO E10K Olympus 2 DAC/amp.
  • just got me the NICEHCK DB3 & all I can say is WOW!
    clear, crisp, wide soundstage & very comfy on the ear. dang! even with cheap MP3 players, SanDisk, it sounds very nice
    anyways let the reviews speak for....

<click here for link>
  • thank you all! i have edifier r2000db which cost around 9k, based on your statements i need high end dac to notice a good improvement on SQ, BUT you are mentioning x3 cost of DAC compared to my bookshelf speaker which i think is unreasonable.

can you suggest bang for the back DAC for my set up?
  • Agree, using a high-end DAC is only useful if you have speakers with good enough quality to actually make the effect of the DAC audible. After all, most of the sound quality is a function of the speakers to begin with. In other words, it's possible to install a good DAC in the audio chain but you'll barely notice a difference (if at all) if the speakers aren't up to the task.

I disagree. even a simple dac would make a cheap speaker a lot better. the deminishing return of advantage comes in from inexpensive Dac to expensive one. not in "no dac" to "have dac".

if anyone here would like to hear the diff of dac. You can try this if you have it. Try your headset DAC. Yes...the one with the volume control and mute. if your confused you can check the hyperX cloud headset. detach your headset. connect to your existing speakers, even simple 2.1 speaker like logitech that cost 1.2k will do. Try it with your favorite music. judge for yourself. post your feedback here.
  • I'm actually waiting for someone to sell a second-hand Chord Mojo somewhere; I missed buying one in another audio forum. Unfortunately, I haven't seen one being sold in over a year. But in my case it isn't for my cheap Swans HiVi M10 2.1 speakers, but for my Unique Melody Miracle, a 6-driver custom IEM I got years ago for pretty cheap (~32k promo, SRP was 1000$). The M10 is connected to the computer's onboard Realtek audio but the Miracle is connected to a low-end FiiO E10K Olympus 2 DAC/amp

I have three dac/amps: mojo, ifi black label and darkvoice 336se. mojo is a bit bland but is very musical. Meanwhile, ifi black audio is very dynamic. What is the sound sig of your Miracle? I also have a darkvoice amp. With my speakers with good/sparkling highs, pairing with mojo is the best as the voice is emphasized. If the cans/iems lack in highs, ifi black label is good. For my kef ls50 wireless, mojo is suited. For LCD 2 (pre-fazor), ifi black label is superb and has the power needed to bring out the best of said can.

I am a bit underwhelmed with dark voice. I already bought the best tubes but still does not blow my mind like the two.

the second pricing of mojo is superb as it can be had at 17k (from a 28-29k orig price). The ifi black label i got was almost a highway robbery (19k for a 35k unit).

-- edited by lucas03 on Jan 08 2021, 04:41 PM
  • Instead of buying an expensive DAC, you may try to look for Asus phoebus solo. I tried a number of soundcards since 2005 but the M Audio Revolution 7.1 trashes Creative Audigy ZS 2 ( i have both of these card which were front runners then). M Audio is a renowned brand for quality but also for lack of support hahaha. So in windows 10, i could no longer these wolfson dac soundcard. I was amazed that phoebus solo (which i got second hand since i was dubious if it can match the revo 7.1) is very good.

-- edited by lucas03 on Jan 08 2021, 11:57 AM
  • I disagree. even a simple dac would make a cheap speaker a lot better. the deminishing return of advantage comes in from inexpensive Dac to expensive one. not in "no dac" to "have dac".

I have had a number of classic multimedia speakers such as altec lansing ada 890 (2 pieces), 880, cs21, mx5021, and 641, creative 510d, klipsch gmx 2.1 and promedia 5.1, and edifier luna and s550. With this kind of speakers (old school multimedia speakers at the same price point are much better than the crap ones today), the effects of good dacs are felt. However, the newer 5k to 7k speakers nowadays are not worthy of getting a good DAC. Likewise, the newer DACs in motherboards are somewhat capable. Of course, these built-in dacs are not DAP quality but are better those from 2005 and earlier.

Instead of getting a new DAC, try to look for fiio X5 III gen. This is much better than x5 II (based on my sound preference).

-- edited by lucas03 on Jan 08 2021, 12:02 PM
  • @lucas well said.

im using SMSL AD18 with Klipsch. oks din naman.
  • These were classic sets!

I have had a number of classic multimedia speakers such as altec lansing ada 890 (2 pieces), 880, cs21, mx5021, and 641, creative 510d, klipsch gmx 2.1 and promedia 5.1, and edifier luna and s550.
  • Sorry for changing the topic, but I'm trying to buy myself some bookshelf speakers, here are some options I'm considering (least to most expensive)
    1. Swans M10
    2. Edifier R1280DB
    3. Swans D1010
    4. Edifier R1700BT

Do you guys have any recommendations? I'm open to other suggestions that are not on the list.

-- edited by enissus on Jan 13 2021, 05:16 PM
  • Swans D1090 paps. it's a bit expensive but worth it. My cousin bought one and he's always urging me to buy my pair too hehe.
  • sobrang mahal nyan D1090 =)
  • medge mahal nga hehe. Baka lang ma consider ni sir. :P

Pag kumita yung stock market port ko, kuha ako haha.
  • My budget is not ready hahaha this is my first bookshelf pa naman so let's see where it goes! If you were to choose among the 4 though or something within that range, which would you recommend?
  • Sorry for changing the topic, but I'm trying to buy myself some bookshelf speakers, here are some options I'm considering (least to most expensive)
    1. Swans M10
    2. Edifier R1280DB
    3. Swans D1010
    4. Edifier R1700BT

Do you guys have any recommendations? I'm open to other suggestions that are not on the list.

mukhang ok yun swans d1010

check this review - http://noaudiophile.com/Swan_D1010-IV/