Forum Topic

TPC Linux Thread | Queries | Answers | Whatnot

• kernel_panic Send Message View User Items on 10 Feb 17 @ 04:18 PM #
    Hi guys.

Ask ko lang. ganto scenario
    ung user nag copy from his/her pc na windows papuntang shared folder na linux. then suddenly nag hang/restart ung explorer. may pinupuntahan ba na cache folder un sa linux if ever na di nagtuloy?

and pag nag delete same scenario nag hang ang file explorer. (may .trash na ung samba share ko) may pupuntahan pa ba ung file?

wala nang pupuntahan yan.

g_33 Send Message View User Items on 13 Feb 17 @ 11:18 AM #
    mron bang multi active user in-one PC. ung 2 mouse, 2 keyboard and monitor? i've tried searching kaso mostly monitor ang lumalabas sa google.

TIA.

Hehehe! Gawin mo ganito. Magkabit ka ng usb type na keyboard and mouse tapos kung may ps/2 pa yung motherboard kabitan mo ng ps/2 type na keyboard and mouse.
    PROBLEM SOLVED!
  • http://tldp.org/HOWTO/XFree-Local-multi-user-HOWTO/

^ that article is written 2003
  • g_33 Send Message View User Items on 13 Feb 17 @ 11:18 AM #
    mron bang multi active user in-one PC. ung 2 mouse, 2 keyboard and monitor? i've tried searching kaso mostly monitor ang lumalabas sa google.

TIA.

You're looking for a multiseat configuration.

Never seen one live, but I think ubuntu has instructions floating around somewhere.
  • Good day mga paps! ask lang po ako ng advice. hindi po ako makapag decide kung anong distro ako mag stick. nagtry po subgraph kaso hindi po kaya nung laptop ko. nagswitch po ako sa Tails kaso hindi po ako satisfied sa Graphic Interface nya nakakaboring po. ngayon po ay naka ubuntu 16.10 po ako, Di po ako sure kung ito na ba yung tinatawag na unity kasi wala ako makitang UNITY sa details nya eh.
    ok na po sakin ang graphic interface kaso me nabasa ako somewhere na hindi po ganun kaganda ito sa TOR. madalas daw po magkaron ng security issue kasi hindi sya designed for TOR kaya marami pa dapat e tweak. diko rin po mapagana compiz fussion.

ang question ko po, Dito sa ubuntu 16.10 totoo po ba na pangit gamitin to sa tor? di po ba talaga pwede dito ang compiz fusion? or ano po kayang ibang distro ang masa suggest nyo po sakin?

Distro Prefference:
    Good workspace graphic interface
    User friendly ( intermediate level user )
    Security and mac spoofing feature
    Best to use for Tor Browser
    VPN/Proxy ready

Laptop Specs:
    Intel Core Duo T2450 2.00Ghx x 2
    Graphics Gallium ATI RV515
    RAM 3GB
    HD: 500

Thanks po!
  • The problem with distro recommendations is it's almost always biased, user preference parati yan. Pag Linux ang "BEST" is relative to the knowledge of that person. Try it, break it, learn from it, then do it all over again.

From a hardware perspective i'd suggest mag XFCE and 32-bit arch ka that should help with minimizing resource hog.

If trip mo ang apt/deb package manager then maybe try Xubuntu.
  • From a hardware perspective i'd suggest mag XFCE and 32-bit arch ka that should help with minimizing resource hog.

Haven't tested it yet but Puppy Linux <click here for link> is also light weight distro
  • Distro Prefference:
    Good workspace graphic interface
    User friendly ( intermediate level user )
    Security and mac spoofing feature
    Best to use for Tor Browser
    VPN/Proxy ready

Laptop Specs:
    Intel Core Duo T2450 2.00Ghx x 2
    Graphics Gallium ATI RV515
    RAM 3GB
    HD: 500

Try to using an SSD to speed up your laptop PC. OCZ Trion 150 240GB can be had for PhP 3,650

For Linux distros with user-friendly interface. try these:

Zorin OS <click here for link>

Ubuntu MATE <click here for link>

-- edited by bintsmok on Feb 19 2017, 08:22 AM
  • I really wish people would qualify what they mean what's meant by user friendly. For some, it's the OSX desktop interface... for some, it's windows (and just a side note, windows 10 REALLY reminds me of KDE).

Is it too hard to actually explain what is being looked for? Or, what features are actually needed?

I remember an old discussion elsewhere and offline where someone was complaining that linux wasn't user friendly at all. Why? Because he couldn't run his games on it. How does user friendly and OS capability get mentioned in the same breath.

User friendliness is an attribute of the interface. Running games is not.

Rant over. Sorry, that's been weighing on me for a long, long, long time.
  • user friendly is the UI

Debian GNOME's UI is user friendly for me, i can easily navigate my way around.

and the familiar apt-get makes me feel at home
  • user friendly is the UI

Debian GNOME's UI is user friendly for me, i can easily navigate my way around.

and the familiar apt-get makes me feel at home
  • I remember an old discussion elsewhere and offline where someone was complaining that linux wasn't user friendly at all. Why? Because he couldn't run his games on it.

A lot has improved for gaming on Linux since Valve Corp. started supporting Linux in February 2013.

Here are some of the latest games you can play on Linux, WINE not needed.

DiRT Rally (to be released on March 2, 2017)
    Hitman (2016)
    Civilization VI
    Total War: Warhammer
    Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
    XCOM 2
    F1 2015
    Mad Max (2015)

I started using Linux last Feb. 2016 and I usually dual-boot with Windows 10. But starting last December 2016, Linux is now my main OS and I don't use Windows 10 anymore unless I have to work with my friends on a hobby which requires Windows. I have been gaming on Linux now for 2 straight months without dual-booting.

As for the future of API, I think it's Vulkan, not DirectX. The video below shows Doom (2016) running on Linux thru WINE. Same performance with Windows was made possible by Vulkan. I hope more game developers will use Vulkan for their future games.

<click here for link>

Para sa akin, ito pa yung kailangang ma-address para maging totally competitive ang Linux for gaming

- better AMD GPU driver support
    - improve the user-friendliness of installing, updating, and removal of GPU drivers
    - dependencies installation of games from GOG

-- edited by bintsmok on Feb 23 2017, 08:29 AM
  • - better AMD GPU driver support

Oh this has been on the wishlist of all ATI/AMD GPU linux users for over a decade.

- improve the user-friendliness of installing, updating, and removal of GPU drivers

Compared to what it was in the early 2000's, installing video drivers is a breeze now. But this is something that belongs to the distro developers, not linux itself.

- dependencies installation of games from GOG

That's a problem of the one who packages the game, not linux itself.
  • - better AMD GPU driver support

Oh this has been on the wishlist of all ATI/AMD GPU linux users for over a decade.

Mostly sa game developers. Upon release of a Linux port, kadalasan ay NVIDIA lang ang officially supported.

Improving naman na sa mga games released on 2017

<click here for link>

• Benchmarks Of Ubuntu 17.04 Beta vs. Antergos, Clear Linux, openSUSE Tumbleweed
    <click here for link>

For those curious how Ubuntu 17.04 is shaping up, considering this week was the "beta" release for participating flavors, I decided to take a fresh Ubuntu 17.04 x86_64 daily ISO and see how its performance compares to Ubuntu 17.10, Clear Linux 13600, Antergos 17.2, and openSUSE Tumbleweed.

All the tests happened on the same system with an Intel Xeon E3-1280 v5 (3.7GHz base, 4.0GHz turbo), MSI C236A WORKSTATION motherboard, 16GB DDR4, 256GB Toshiba RD400 NVMe SSD, and AMD Radeon RX 470 graphics.
  • AMD's Ryzen Will Really Like A Newer Linux Kernel
    <click here for link>

AMD's Ryzen CPU is finally shipping in a few days! If you are planning to be an early adopter of AMD Ryzen processors, you will really want to be running a newer Linux kernel release for proper support and performance.

I haven't received any communication from AMD about any review samples or the like, so I am not under NDA for the upcoming AMD Ryzen launch on 2 March... And thankfully received some information from a reliable source this weekend regarding Ryzen support Linux requirements. So here they are.

I am told that if using Ubuntu 16.10 / Ubuntu 16.04.2 as a base state for AMD Ryzen, users should generally be okay. In other words, you won't get a kernel oops on boot or anything dramatic like that but could be missing some functionality. However, you will really be better off with a newer Linux kernel.

As I wrote about back in December, Linux 4.10 landed a lot of Zen/Ryzen code. So with Linux 4.10 looks to be -- and reaffirmed by this trusted confidant -- a good point for AMD Ryzen testing and usage. So far in the Linux 4.11 cycle we haven't seen anything Ryzen-specific appear to come through.

But if you don't feel comfortable moving to the recently-released Linux 4.10 or your distribution hasn't yet offered you an easy upgrade path, an alternative is to be running at least Linux 4.9.10.

I was pointed out in particular to this kernel commit that only landed in early February: "x86/CPU/AMD: Fix Zen SMT topology." It notes in the commit message, "After: a33d331761bc ("x86/CPU/AMD: Fix Bulldozer topology") our SMT scheduling topology for Fam17h systems is broken, because the ThreadId is included in the ApicId when SMT is enabled. So, without further decoding cpu_core_id is unique for each thread rather than the same for threads on the same core. This didn't affect systems with SMT disabled. Make cpu_core_id be what it is defined to be." That mentioned regression was introduced only in January but had been pulled back into stable kernel point releases from Linux 4.6 and newer. This fix for the (Ry)zen SMT topology is in Linux 4.10 and was back-ported to Linux 4.9.10+ for those still riding the 4.9 kernel.

Without that fix, you could be affected by broken SMT scheduling topology. Simultaneous Multi-Threading is one of the new features for AMD Ryzen/Zen and will play a big role. For instance, with the Ryzen 7 CPUs they are 8 cores but 16 threads via SMT. If you care about multi-threaded performance, just make sure you are riding a newer kernel release.
  • di ko talaga mainstall itunes sa ubuntu.

nakakainis. natry ko yun ibang process pero ayaw. yung iba sobrang haba at nakakatamad gawin.
  • @bintsmok

Sir nagpaplan akong lumipat from windows to linux and based on your suggestions, I'm planning to try Zorin OS.. Nagbabasa ako pero di ko gaano pa maintindihan so just want to ask if in case alam mo kung may driver support ba ang zorin OS para sa RX 480? TIA!
  • Sir nagpaplan akong lumipat from windows to linux and based on your suggestions, I'm planning to try Zorin OS.. Nagbabasa ako pero di ko gaano pa maintindihan so just want to ask if in case alam mo kung may driver support ba ang zorin OS para sa RX 480? TIA!

Di pa ako nakagamit ng AMD GPU sa Linux.

Ang alam ko ay dalawang klase ang GPU driver sa Linux - proprietary at open source.

Proprietary driver for AMD GPU is the one you download from AMD's website. Ang tawag ngayon sa AMD GPU proprietary driver ay AMDGPU-PRO.

Yung open source driver ay driver na gawa ng Linux community. It's called Mesa.

Sa pagkakaalam ko, Mesa drivers are already included in the Linux installation. Magagamit mo na agad sa gaming ang Radeon RX 480 mo without having to download and install the proprietary driver from AMD's website.

Ang problema sa AMD GPU open source drivers ay mas mababa ang performance kumpara sa proprietary driver pagdating sa ilang games lalo na pag bagong relase. One example ay yung Deus Ex: Mankind Divided.
  • RadeonSI Mesa 17.1-dev vs. AMDGPU-PRO 16.60 OpenGL Linux Gaming
    <click here for link>

This article provides a look at how the bleeding-edge OpenGL performance is of the RadeonSI Gallium3D driver under development for Mesa 17.1. AMDGPU-PRO 16.60 was benchmarked on the proprietary/hybrid driver side as the latest public release available via AMD.com.

All of the hardware and other software was maintained throughout this OpenGL benchmarking process. A Sapphire Radeon RX 470 was used for benchmarking these two Radeon Linux driver options.

• Hitsugaya10 Send Message View User Items on 27 Feb 17 @ 04:48 PM #
    @bintsmok

Sir nagpaplan akong lumipat from windows to linux and based on your suggestions, I'm planning to try Zorin OS.. Nagbabasa ako pero di ko gaano pa maintindihan so just want to ask if in case alam mo kung may driver support ba ang zorin OS para sa RX 480? TIA!

For basic use, performance should be more than ok out of the box. Kung for gaming naman, quick searching shows it can game on acceptable rates. You want to be on distros based on Fedora or Ubuntu that ships with recent kernels.

I have an old AMD GPU and open source drivers perform better than proprietary.

Play around with your RX 480 and see what works for you.
  • Mostly sa game developers. Upon release of a Linux port, kadalasan ay NVIDIA lang ang officially supported.

Improving naman na sa mga games released on 2017

I beg to differ. I'm not a game developer.

I wonder how you manage to say that it's mostly game developers who have been waiting for better drivers? You've fully disqualified everyone around the world who regularly purchased AMD/ATI hardware over the years and used it with linux as users, and not as game developers.

Please stop making sweeping statements like that.

-- edited by armitage on Feb 28 2017, 02:23 AM
  • i remember way way back then, walang pre-packaged RPM / deb para sa nvidia drivers. you have to build from scratch and mess with XFree86 LOL
  • Hi. Nagkaka interest ako sa Linux na OS. I will admit na ngayon ko lang nabasa yung tungkol sa iba-ibang distro. Madami pa ako kailangan basahin pero atat na atat na ako magtanong. Ang questions ko:

#1. Pwede ba dual boot setup na Win 10 at Linux on separate HDD?
    #2. Yung #1 ba ay simple lang na install ng Win 10 sa HDD A at Linux sa HDD B?
    #3. Yung option kung sa Win 10 or sa Linux mag boot sa Bios ba ise-setup?
    #4. Currently naka Win 10 ako, pag naka install na ang Linux sa HDD B at nag boot na ako sa Linux, maa-access ko pa din ba ang lahat ng files ko na nasa Windows?

May iba pa akong tanong regarding sa access sa mga files between Windows at Linux pero ito munang apat. Salamat!
  • Hi. Nagkaka interest ako sa Linux na OS. I will admit na ngayon ko lang nabasa yung tungkol sa iba-ibang distro. Madami pa ako kailangan basahin pero atat na atat na ako magtanong. Ang questions ko:

#1. Pwede ba dual boot setup na Win 10 at Linux on separate HDD?
    #2. Yung #1 ba ay simple lang na install ng Win 10 sa HDD A at Linux sa HDD B?
    #3. Yung option kung sa Win 10 or sa Linux mag boot sa Bios ba ise-setup?
    #4. Currently naka Win 10 ako, pag naka install na ang Linux sa HDD B at nag boot na ako sa Linux, maa-access ko pa din ba ang lahat ng files ko na nasa Windows?

1. Yes and that is how I do it.
    2. Yes.
    3. Yes, select the boot priority in the BIOS.
    4. Yes.

In case you will ask if you can view your Linux files while booted on Windows, yes, but you have to install a software to be able to view files on a drive formatted using EXT4. Linux uses EXT4 file system while Windows 10 uses NTFS file system.

-- edited by bintsmok on Feb 28 2017, 05:06 PM
  • @bintsmok

4. Yes. In case you will ask if you can view your Linux files while booted on Windows, yes, but you have to install a software to be able to view files on a drive formatted using EXT4. Linux uses EXT4 file system while Windows 10 uses NTFS file system.

Salamat sa pag banggit, hindi ko naisip ang tungkol sa format ng HDD.
    #1. Yung HDD kung saan i-install yung Linux dapat formatted to EXT4. Pero for storage (kung saan ako magse-save ng files habang nakaboot sa Linux) pwedeng NTFS?
    #2. In connection sa #1, example: on a 500gb HDD, pwede 100gb na EXT4 format para sa installation ng Linux, then the rest na for file storage NTFS na lang para pwede rin ma-access pag naka boot sa Windows?
    #3. Regarding storage, advisable ba na sa physically separate drives yung files (documents, images, etc...) for each OS?
    #4. Paano nga pala yung assignment ng drive letters/names - kung ano yung nasa Windows same pa rin ba makikita ko pag sa Linux naka boot?

Salamat uli.
  • Wow.. buhay na buhay pa din itong Thread 41114 :)

@Armitage
    kamusta bro :)
    Linux has changed a lot since way back when we are still noobs.. kung alam lang nila.. :D

From someone who started since kernel 2.2 (RHL 5.2 Apollo /1998)
  • @fussygoat
    #1 - yes EXT4 is the best for linux, on separate partition NTFS o kahit ano pde mo save files dun. ganun ang best practice para kung mag upgrade ka to fresh install higher version on OS, yung mga important files mo ay intact sa isang partition(NTFS) at pde mo ito ma access in case nag boot ka on Win10 (if nakadual boot setup)
    #2 kahit 10 GB lang for Linux partition kung gusto mo lng mag explore ay pde na ,maliban na lang kung mag iinstall ka ng malalaking application kelangan mo lakihan ito.
    #3 hindi naman. pde na separate partition on the same physical drive kung isa lang HDD mo. like #1 different OS can save important files on a common partition for data storage/backup purposes.
    #4 wala drive letter assignment sa Linux. kung ano label ng drive partition yun ang makikita mo pde mo nga ito i label ng isang letter lamang kung trip mo ganung practice

goodluck! marami ka matututunan pag explore sa Linux world. kung hindi ka confident sa gagawin mo pde mo muna ito i try sa virtualbox or vmware.

-- edited by kerneloop on Feb 28 2017, 06:56 PM
  • Post deleted #11882219
  • natatandaan ko pa dati halos mangiyak ngiyak ako sa mandrake! 100 per CD ang bentahan nung shop sa Festival Alabang. eh 4 CDs yung mandrake, automatic 400petots agad!

nagmakaawa ako sa shop sabi ko FREE naman ang mandrake / Linux, bat mahal ang singil nya? inacknowledge naman nya na FREE talaga ang linux, pero nagbayad sya ng bandwidth para idownload and i-burn yung CDs kaya ayun goodbye 400 petots!

na-curious ako sa linux nun kasi ambagal na ng Pentium133 16MB EDO RAM 1GB HDD kapag Win98SE ang OS, kaya ayun lipat sa Mandrake LOL!
  • Wow.. buhay na buhay pa din itong Thread 41114 :)

@Armitage
    kamusta bro :)
    Linux has changed a lot since way back when we are still noobs.. kung alam lang nila.. :D

From someone who started since kernel 2.2 (RHL 5.2 Apollo /1998)

@Joeybravo

Ayos na ayos naman! Napasilip lang ako dito and surprise, new posts from new users. :) Gentoo pa rin ba karga mo?

Linux is so different from what it used to be, so much simpler (except for systemd... can we just hide Lennart Poettering in a basement somewhere until systemd runs out of steam?) and way easier.

Since we're wearing our first kernel versions (read that as age) as signatures, heres mine:

Slackware 4.0, Kernel 2.2, 1999