Forum Topic

Official Networking Thread (LAN Configuration, Internet Sharing, Routers, Switches, etc.)

• RT-N18u is not a bad router specially on its NAT performance. the caveat on that router is it doesnt have a AC wireless, only the standard 2.4ghz wireless b/g/n

but hey. as long as you dont need AC wireless it's still a good router for its performance.
  • polka Send Message View User Items on 12 Jan 17 @ 06:29 AM #
    RT-N18u is not a bad router specially on its NAT performance. the caveat on that router is it doesnt have a AC wireless, only the standard 2.4ghz wireless b/g/n

but hey. as long as you dont need AC wireless it's still a good router for its performance.

Thanks for the quick response! Yes, AC is on low prio.

But as a backup plan if the RT-N18u is not available on the month of purchase my 2nd option is the Archer C5.

Any comments on Archer C5 is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
  • avoid tplink as much as possible, I used to recommend them since I can flash DD-WRT or Openwrt on it but since they locked down their routers due to FCC reasons (which to be honest we shouldnt be affected by it after all, but hey, tplink only thinks america is the only country they recognized as their customers so yeah) so they locked down their routers with super crappy firmware.

Netgear is different though, netgear still sells opensource router outside US so yeah, go with their routers as much as possible, For Asus they also do locked down their rotuers regardless of country you lived in, but since AsusWRT is a kind-of decent firmware (minus some security flaws here and there so watch out for router vulnerabilities with AsusWRT and upgrade the firmware as soon as possible, but of course if your Asus router is not yet locked down, just upgrade it to Tomato firmware, dont worry about warranty and stuff, Asus doesnt mind you flashing their routers with 3rd party firmware assuming the router is not yet locked down and the device modified the hardware by opening up the actual router).

-- edited by polka on Jan 12 2017, 07:22 AM
  • Thanks again @polka really informative stuff! Gonna do some searching on that Asus security flaws.
  • Guys help,
    i have a 6month old Asus AC88u. update to latest firmware and right now it's having problems.
    1st cellphone were connected but no internet. reset a few times but nothing happened.
    then after a few reset only the power led has a light now and the internet led is just steady red. and the 2.4 and 5ghz dont even light up anymore.

any advice would be great. I got the router from the US so I'm not sure if asus ph would accomodate my warranty
  • ^ipa warranty mo na.
  • Mga Masters,

Papano po magkaroon ng login like Ayala wifi yung wifi namin sa bahay? Ano po gagamitin? BTW Im using Advance Tomato Asus RTAC68U.. TIA
  • ^none, you can only do that on much more advance routers like mikrotik or pfsense, you may also do that using openwrt or dd-wrt using coovachili but this requires a external radius and web server.
  • ^none, you can only do that on much more advance routers like mikrotik or pfsense, you may also do that using openwrt or dd-wrt using coovachili but this requires a external radius and web server.

Thank You sir Polka sa Info ano po magnda bilhin para plug and play at hindi po masyado advance yung mga gagawin. TIA
  • ^there's actually a plug and play hotspot system available on olx and facebook buy and sell pages.

one thing that I see is a coin based wifi prepaid thing, that may be suitable for your needs.
  • @ Sir Polka, sir ang target ko po is base Prepaid Card system provide ako code then yun lang consume nila? meron po ganun? tIA
  • ^possible, not some sort of prepaid card but a voucher code instead. I already implemented that kind of wifi hotspot system many times before using pfsense.
  • pls help mga sir. may comp shop po ako. diskless po ako 10clients 1obm server tapos 1timer po. tapos naka mikrotik po ako. ang problma ko po is, pag 5po or 4 ung nag lalaro nang csgo po and the rest is LoL at dota2. nag lalag po ang mga clients ko po. but hindi naman nag lalag ung clients kong ang linalaro lang is dota2 at LoL. pls help mga sir thanks. btw po bale ang internet connection ko po is pldt business plan 9.5mbps DL at 0.91/92 UP.

-- edited by nikonikoniko on Jan 17 2017, 02:15 PM
  • ^sad to say but youre preety much hit you connection limit regarding with your internet connection. see that upload speed, its 900kbps. a typical csgo connection requires at least 10-30KB/sec (around 300kbit/sec). Why? If youre familiar with CSGO, they actually communicate via radio. In LOL or Dota2 you dont need a voice communication.

fix?

well just get a internet connection that offers higher upload speed, preferable 5mbps or higher.
  • ^sad to say but youre preety much hit you connection limit regarding with your internet connection. see that upload speed, its 900kbps. a typical csgo connection requires at least 10-30KB/sec (around 300kbit/sec). Why? If youre familiar with CSGO, they actually communicate via radio. In LOL or Dota2 you dont need a voice communication.

fix?

well just get a internet connection that offers higher upload speed, preferable 5mbps or higher.

@polka thanks sa reply sir. so, kahit po naka mikrotik router ako sir hindi kayang imanage?
  • ^nope, it can only manage traffic priority and stuff but it wont fix your lack of bandwidth issues.
  • @polka omfg. kaya pala!!! ilang diagnos na ang ginawa ko. pina reconfig kopa ulit mikrotik ko T_T. di kasi abot nang fibr dito samin. nag upupgrade po kaya ang pldt nang up speed sir? T_T
  • @polka omfg. kaya pala!!! ilang diagnos na ang ginawa ko. pina reconfig kopa ulit mikrotik ko T_T. di kasi abot nang fibr dito samin. nag upupgrade po kaya ang pldt nang up speed sir? T_T

Probably not.

In best case scenarios you'd get around 700kbps.
    On the rare case that PLDT uses annex M in your cabinet maybe you'd get up to 2.8-3mbps upload pero wag umasa.
    Isa or dalawa lang nakita ko ditong nag post ng upload speed based on annex M(around 1.2-1.5mbps yata) mas mataas pa ang chance na maglagay sila ng fiber box sa poste mismo sa harap ng comp shop mo than for them to give you a high upload.
  • @polka kailangan kobang tumawag po sa PLDT hotline para po mag request netong annex M sir? pansensya po diko po talaga alam ang mga to.
  • Mga boss suggestion naan. May problem kasi ung current router ko na Asus RT-AC87u. Random restart once a day. di umaabot ng 24hrs ung uptime nya nag rereboot nalang ng kusa. Sakin naman walang problema kung mag reboot ung router kaso may nakikabit sakin na comp shop at syempre reklamador mga player pag DC nlng bigla habang naglalaro sila. May ma suggest po ba kau jn na budget router na maganda QoS?

Unting background sa setup ng network ko..

PLDT Fibr ONU
    > Asus RT-AC87u
    >> Switch 8port (home network)
    >> Switch 16port (comp shop)
    >> UBNT Nanostation Loco M2
    >> Laptop

-- edited by xivres on Jan 21 2017, 02:04 PM
  • ^ use tomato firmware and see if it fixes the issue.
  • ^ use tomato firmware and see if it fixes the issue.

thanks sir sa reply. di po ata supported ung router ko.. wala po sa list sa downloads page advancedtomato(dot)com(slash)downloads..

any idea po kung cmpatible kaya ung para sa 66u or 68u.. AC po pala ung router ko
  • ^sorry, I just assumed that AC routers of Asus is supported by tomato but alas, its the AC87u is the only Broadcom ARM based router that is not supported by tomato.

you can try DD-WRT and see if it fixes the issue.

-- edited by polka on Jan 21 2017, 08:16 PM
  • hi guys, newbie here. kakabili ko lang ng router ko Asus RT-AC68u paano ko malalaman kung naka lockdown sya or hindi? thanks.
  • ^ignore what I said with Asus locking down firmwares. they already done something for it so end users can still opt for 3rd party firmware such as Merlin and DD-WRT. OpenWRT and Tomato still not flashable.

if you want tomato or openwrt on your router, you need at least below 380.3xxx firmware version, to check your firmware version, just login to your asus router admin page, it will show your firmware version right away after you logged in.
  • mga sir,
    Ano po bang for the buck na router na compatible sa PLDT FIBR modem?

Medyo mahina ang signal sa second floor namin.

pa-advise naman po.

Thank you!
  • polka Send Message View User Items on 24 Jan 17 @ 12:30 PM #
    ^ignore what I said with Asus locking down firmwares. they already done something for it so end users can still opt for 3rd party firmware such as Merlin and DD-WRT. OpenWRT and Tomato still not flashable.

if you want tomato or openwrt on your router, you need at least below 380.3xxx firmware version, to check your firmware version, just login to your asus router admin page, it will show your firmware version right away after you logged in.

thanks polka, i already updated my Rounter since it prompt me after i setup my wifi. Madali lang ba mag upgrade ng firware like DD-WRT? may feature ba itong firmware na ito to limit the users time in accessing specific site? thanks.
  • ^afaik its easy, just search on youtube how to flash dd-wrt on your specific router.
  • @ eameam
    ganito itsure sa pfsense, paki ignore nalang yung rate hindi na update yan ^_^,
    may pinag kopyahan lang ako ng page tapos ni edit ko nalang.

Ang ginawa ko dyan , nag generate ako ng maraming voucher at yon ang ibinigay ko sa taga bantay ko, para kung meron mag a avail gugupit lang sya.

-- edited by dawinsm on Jan 25 2017, 03:10 PM
  • ano recommended dual wan router, yung available sa market, for home use lang, main goal is magkaroon lang ng fail-over at load balance.

ISP1: PLDT fiber
    isp2: Converge fiber din