Forum Topic

Official Networking Thread (LAN Configuration, Internet Sharing, Routers, Switches, etc.)

• Polka is it ok if i will setup point to point wireless from my wife's house to my house? gusto ko kasi mag kainternet d2 sa house pero galin sa wife ko yung internet ibabato lang thru wireless. hindi po ba sya illegal? allowed po ba ng gov't natin yung ganun? may naririnig kasi ako parang illegal daw pag malakas wireless.
  • @gwainne

Polka is it ok if i will setup point to point wireless from my wife's house to my house? gusto ko kasi mag kainternet d2 sa house pero galin sa wife ko yung internet ibabato lang thru wireless. hindi po ba sya illegal? allowed po ba ng gov't natin yung ganun? may naririnig kasi ako parang illegal daw pag malakas wireless.

Gaano kalayo? May Line of sight ba?

-- edited by TPCLaguna on Mar 24 2017, 02:15 PM
  • Anyone tried a powerline wifi extender? What are your comments/thoughts?

TPLink TL-WPA4530 KIT Powerline AC Wi-Fi

-- edited by krpk on Mar 25 2017, 06:46 AM
  • for powerline, I think tplink powerline offers are decent, there are some reviews done by popular tech reviewers (jayztwocents if im not mistaken review one of their powerline lineups) and it works great according to their tests.

@gwainne

if you live in a place where meralco doesnt exist, I guess you can. The main point here is, you cant mess with public space, specially on your case which is crossing two houses which is within a public space (anything outside your house is considered public space).

my recommendation is just wired it up (assuming less than 100meters lang yung distance between the house) with that you have a reliable connection between.
  • Thanks for the info polka.

@TPC Laguna
    3 miles po ang layo

-- edited by gwainne on Mar 25 2017, 07:30 AM
  • @krpk
    1st thing you do is to connect it to your prolink router, if you have a switch connect it to your switch, it has a power injector. DATA+Power (PoE) goes to unifi, DATA goes to router/switch.

answer to your question = yes you can.

what else do you need to make it work?

download the unifi software controller from ubnt.com.
    when windows firewall asked for prompts just allow the unifi software controller to the public and private networks, better to just turn off the windows firewall instead.

the software controller will open via Google Chrome or Firefox browser usually at HTTPS, it will give a warning unsecure.. etc etc. just ignore and proceed to setup the controller.

use the controller to "Discover" and "Adopt" the Unifi AC Lite, recommended to set a static IP address for that device.

don't forget to apply the settings.

UniFi AC lite can and will run without running the software controller from the PC. you only need it for configuration, configure it once then forget it.
  • you should left the controller plugged if you want to make the roaming feature working effectively (i mean smarthphones should be smart enough tow roam AP on best signal but its best to be handled by the controller it self).

still the controller is optional,you can just configure it anyway hand on hand by just downloading the app in android or ios. unify cloud key is a must have in a place who have tremendous amount of AP (eg malls, or busines establishments) but in homes, nah download the Unifi app and youre done.
  • recommend naman kayo sakin ng matibay na gigabit 16port switch nasira yung switch ko 2 years pa lang. T_T
  • @jay_soriano56 and polka

Thanks for the detailed replies! A good dose of information for my limited knowledge about networking.

If you're in my situation which route will you go?
    1. Unifi with *2 AP devices.
    2. Powerline Wifi Extender with *2 wireless adapters.

*2 devices, one of each floors - depends on how strong the signals are

All I want is to provide my mother a stable wifi signal :)

Thanks!

-- edited by krpk on Mar 25 2017, 11:22 PM
  • sino dito gumagamit ng gargoyle firmware sa router nila ?

paturo sana sa tamamng QoS settings
  • @krpk
    nasubukan ko na yung Wireless Powerlines, I'm not satisfied with the built-in wireless range. It just can't penetrate. TPlink, Linksys, Belkin, DLink and the cdr king back in the day.

if i were you go with 2 AP devices full stop.
  • jay_soriano56
    @krpk
    nasubukan ko na yung Wireless Powerlines, I'm not satisfied with the built-in wireless range. It just can't penetrate. TPlink, Linksys, Belkin, DLink and the cdr king back in the day.

if i were you go with 2 AP devices full stop.

Thanks again sir! Will go with the AP then.
  • @romulo
    ano ang Internet Provider? ilan ang Download? ilan ang Upload? May capping/data allowance ba o wala? ilang nodes (desktop, laptop, smartphone, tablets... etc)?
  • @jay

pldt fibr plan 1899 20mb download 10mb upload unlimited no cap

pc , rpi2 at 4 na celfon ang gagamit , sabay sabay lang during night time pero pag morning mga 2-3 devices lang ang naka konek

ako gaming sa pc anak ko youtube at facebook
  • @gwainne

Try mo na lang mag PTP connection since malapit lang naman.

Eto yung sakin. Walang LOS yan pero consistent naman connection ko. Nahaharangan ng mga puno.

<click here for link>

-- edited by TPCLaguna on Mar 27 2017, 09:30 PM

-- edited by TPCLaguna on Mar 27 2017, 09:34 PM
  • ^

Sarap nga yan isabit sa puno at ilabas lang sa taas Sir eh mura pa setup dahil may puno na. Haha.

Optimize mo pa rin floor noise freq Sir. :-D
  • ano recommended nyong outdoor wifi hotspot device pang residential lang, yung pang budget meal lang,
    Hindi naman kaylangan wide range kahit yung diameter nya pang 2 bahay lang ang layo.

price narin sana

TIA
  • @romulo
    enjoy, ang i-aadjust mo lang ay maximum.

if you prefer make your own excel sheet na may formula para maadjust automatically ang minimum. Ang maximum ikaw na bahala jan, at your own decision and discretion.

*hindi kasi pwede ang comma sa Ports, dash (Range) lang. I don't know baka supported na sa bagong version, try mo it will save you space sa Traffic Identification/Matching Table.
    **TCP at UDP ganun talaga, walang option kase na TCP&UDP o kaya BOTH, kung meron sana adi kokonti lang ang rules.
    ***Ang kasamang games jan ay DOTA at LoL, if you need other game ports meron sa ulop.net/forum.
    ****Ang TOTAL/OVERALL ng minimum each ay dapat mas mababa or equal sa adjusted download/upload speed. How can you reserve a bandwidth pag sobra sa plan diba?
    *****Ang maximum usually ang value ay Adjusted Plan, pwede naman mas mababa tulad ng slow para sa mga torrents or unknown traffic.
    ******Ang Default Class ay mag aapply para sa mga traffic na hindi na identify, usually torrent (random ports) ganon.
    *******Ang port 8080 ay Speedtest.net, so wag na magtaka bakit mas mababa pag naka Enable ang QoS.

here's the link for the Gargoyle QoS Setup Guide
    <click here for link>

Pag bumagsak ang speed ng PLDT Fibr, which usually happens, pasensyahan nalang talaga. Unless magsubscribe ka ng leased line with guaranteed bandwidth CIR.

@dawinsm
    Melon CPE, it's generic china, you get what you paid for.

it's Directional 60-70* ata ang broadcast unlike the Omnidirectional 360* Ubiquiti PicoStation M2HP w/c costs P4,499-P5,999

there's a group in fb where you can ask other members ano experience nila.. price around P2,799-P3,999
    <click here for link>

p.s. stay away from the GrooveA and Metal.
    is it that bad? you're welcome to buy and experience before believing.
  • @jay

daghang salamat sir

BTW sir ano po ba settings i set ko dito default po ba or yung minRTT ang i tick mark ko ?

-- edited by romulo on Mar 28 2017, 10:57 PM
  • ^just set it at default
  • it's Directional 60-70* ata ang broadcast unlike the Omnidirectional 360* Ubiquiti PicoStation M2HP w/c costs P4,499-P5,999

3k to 5k na outdoor AP i think okay lang, may nag bigay kasi sakin ng price parang nasa 10k plus ang presyo nya
  • any advice. is it true if you have a requirement on structure cabling is necessary that the end to end are they have same brand including the I/O faceplate etc.?
    should become a cause poor infrastructure if you have difference brand in structure cabling? thanks
  • question mga sir,
    kaya ba ng 25 pair copper cable ang mahigit 100 meters na distance from service entrance to server for Voice and Data?
  • @dawinsm

A total maximum backbone distance of 90m (295 ft.) is specified for high bandwidth capability over copper. This distance is for uninterrupted backbone runs.
    Try mo fIber. Ang alam ko several kilometers ang kaya nya.

-- edited by TPCLaguna on Apr 01 2017, 07:16 PM

-- edited by TPCLaguna on Apr 02 2017, 01:37 AM
  • magandang pang prevent ng lag QoS? Gamit ko ngayon bandwidth control panget nga lang hati sa speed ginagawa ko pag ako mag isa online disable ko na lang para akin lahat ng speed. Gusto ko sana QoS Kaso d ko ma gets yung mga gaming port tapos wala pang QoS yung router na nabili ko Bandwidth limiter lang meron.
  • A total maximum backbone distance of 90m (295 ft.) is specified for high bandwidth capability over copper. This distance is for uninterrupted backbone runs.
    Try mo fIber. Ang alam ko several kilometers ang kaya nya.

kung fiber ang gagamitin paano kaya ang magiging setup nyan?

ang DSL at trunkline copper connection lang kay PLDT.

paano yung interconnection ng copper wire mula sa pldt at fiber na ilalatag?
  • @dawinism

May SFP port yung switch mo? or try mo to sir.
    <click here for link>
  • Magandang gabi, hingi sana ako ng advice kakastart ng company bale ang set up is router to switch (8 pc), ang gusto nila dapat daw mablock ang fb and youtube dun sa 8 pc, kaso ung default na router ng pldt walang filtering ng url, ang suggestion ko bibili ng router na may feature na pang block ng urls. Tama po ba yung suggestion ko? Thanks!
  • @kelspogi

Try mo OpenDNS para ma filter mo yung sites na dapat i-block.
  • @TPCLaguna
    Try mo OpenDNS para ma filter mo yung sites na dapat i-block.

Thanks bro, kaso good for 14 days lang yung trial, worth it ba na bilhin?