Forum Topic

Network Attached Storage (NAS)

• ^ Oh no. So now, it's a lottery even for the 10TB drives.

I guess I'll have to remove those 10TB WD external drives on my Am*zon wish list and replace them with 12TB and 14TB variants. Hopefully I can get good deals on Black Friday/Cyber Monday later this year.
  • ^nagsasale din po ba ang higher capacity models pag Black Friday? Ang pagkakaalam ko usually lower capacity models lang.

Yung Seagate Exos X16 16TB nakasale parin sa Newegg. Around 21k including VAT. Mukhang good deal na po iyan?

Di parin ako nakabili ng NAS, pero decided na ako sa DS920+, will buy pag nakaluwag luwag ng sched. Isabay narin siguro niyang Seagate drive by September, hopefully ganyan parin price niya.
  • @Decidueye

Nagbabakasakali lang ako kung mag sale yung mga 12TB at 14TB WD external drives. Usually basta yung mga high capacity external drives ng Seagate at WD, expected na nagkaka-sale. Pag mababa talaga ang presyo, doon ako nag-oorder.

Hindi masyado nag-sa-sale yung mga internal NAS at enterprise drives. Kung mag sale man sila, mahal pa rin kumpara sa mga external.

Yan ang dahilan kaya nauso yung shucking ng mga external drives. Mas mura pero risk yung warranty.

Nakita ko sa r/DataHoarder, yung mga 16TB Seagate Expansion drives, Exos ang mga laman:

*not my pic

• ^ok sir thanks, baka 1 or 2x lang muna bilin ko siguro sa Newegg, intayin ko rin yang sale sa external drives.

EDIT: RIP, price just went up 1.2k php.

-- edited by Decidueye on Aug 26 2020, 01:37 AM
  • Got a new U-NAS 8 Bay case, initially ordered this to replace the my current Freenas DR case (bottom). Not that anything was wrong with it.. just the U-NAS is more pleasant to look at or I'm just plain OC in the sense I'm mildly annoyed that my NAS cases don't match. Lol.

But now that it's here, I'm having second thoughts if I even want to replace my FreeNAS DR case since its functional.I'm thinking I can get an HBA with external connectors (9300-8E/9300-16E) and just convert this to a DAS. That way I can scale out my primary FreeNAS server to 16 bay without having to get those full fledged 16-24 bay rackmount case although I'm fully not opposed to that idea. Saw a guide for how to to it (see link below). it's just that it takes a lot of work and planning to silence a 24 bay case. There are power considerations too.

How to Scaleout FreeNAS
    <click here for link>

-- edited by alaeh on Aug 26 2020, 10:54 AM
  • Hi.

Nag-search ako sa forum but wala ako makita...

I am looking for tips on which reasonably priced locally available cpu tower case to buy.
    I know Fractal Design Define 7 XL can handle up to 18 3.5" disks but I think only 6-8 slots are included in the package. I read it is hard to order the Type B trays for it.
    <click here for link>

Phanteks Evolv X can handle up to 10 3.5" drives but only 4 are included in the package.
    <click here for link>

I have been searching FB Marketplace and Lazada and see many cases with all these colorful lighting inside. However, I don't see the drive cages inside. Most or almost all ads I see only highlight the many fans and colorful lighting in the case.
    I see plenty of space on the right side of the case.

Will the P800-P1,000 hard drive cages I see on Lazada fit on these cases?
    <click here for link>

Sorry for the trouble.

Gusto ko bumili ng murang case vs Phanteks (P13,000) and Fractal Design Define 7 XL (P13,000).
    Hindi ko lang alam kung kasya yung hard drive cages.

I am planning to put 8 drives and up to 12 max drives inside.

Thank you.

-- edited by tigastorres on Aug 31 2020, 11:57 AM

-- edited by tigastorres on Aug 31 2020, 11:59 AM

-- edited by tigastorres on Aug 31 2020, 12:09 PM
  • @tigastorres

I also looked at Fractal Design 7XL initially when I was planning the set up of my FreeNAS DR server but moved away from it for the very same reasons you mentioned ie sourcing parts. It would have been great if Fractal already included all these accessories out of the box since you are already paying some serious cash.

Also, it's quite hard to emphasize enough the convenience and simplicity of having removable drive bays and a backplane. No mess and no fuss.

If I were to build up a tower NAS case, I would look into below. My preference would be the Lian Li if you can still find it.

Lian Li PC-Q26B - 10 bay - discontinued
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1177088-REG/lian_li_pc_q26b_mini_itx_tower_3_5x10_2_5_x1_hdd_silverer.html

Integer Computers B-650 - 7 + 1 bays
    https://integercomputers.com/shop/b-650-mini-computer-case/

InWin IW_MS08 - 8 bay
    https://www.ipc.in-win.com/soho-smb-iw-ms08

Inwin IW-PLV - 12 bay
    https://www.ipc.in-win.com/pedestal-tower-iw-plv-tower

My recommendation to visit STH and see what homelabbers use for their builds.
    https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php
  • Hi.

Nag-search ako sa forum but wala ako makita...

I am looking for tips on which reasonably priced locally available cpu tower case to buy.
    I know Fractal Design Define 7 XL can handle up to 18 3.5" disks but I think only 6-8 slots are included in the package. I read it is hard to order the Type B trays for it.
    <click here for link>

Phanteks Evolv X can handle up to 10 3.5" drives but only 4 are included in the package.
    <click here for link>

I have been searching FB Marketplace and Lazada and see many cases with all these colorful lighting inside. However, I don't see the drive cages inside. Most or almost all ads I see only highlight the many fans and colorful lighting in the case.
    I see plenty of space on the right side of the case.

Will the P800-P1,000 hard drive cages I see on Lazada fit on these cases?
    <click here for link>

Sorry for the trouble.

Gusto ko bumili ng murang case vs Phanteks (P13,000) and Fractal Design Define 7 XL (P13,000).
    Hindi ko lang alam kung kasya yung hard drive cages.

I am planning to put 8 drives and up to 12 max drives inside.

Thank you.

@tigastorres

If you're looking for something locally available and brand new, then I personally would go for the Define 7 XL. Just order the drive trays from Amazon or Newegg. However, if you're not picky, you can grab an old Cosmos case from here or the FB marketplace. I can confirm that those 5.25 to 3.5 cages work nicely.

I currently have 9 3.5" drives with an SSD, but I have the ability to go to 12, possibly 16 3.5" drives if I get creative.
  • @tigastorres
    Bro kung may makita ka pang Fractal Design ARC XL maganda yan... ito gamit ko ngayon, binilhan ko lang lang ng extra tray.

• There's a dealer on L* selling 1250w (this one from Colorful is platinum certified) and 1600w PSUs for extremely cheap, formerly for mining but can be repurposed to power multiple hard drives.
  • mga sir, hingi ako advise, na setup ko na yung SYNOLOGY NAS ko, gumamit ako 2*4TB Seagate Ironwolf, iniisip ko na yung 1 drive isa magiging backup and shared drive ko then gagawa sya duplicate copy to another drive as additional security na kahit masira yung main drive, meron pa isang backup, tama po ba ito? salamat po in advance
  • @nelvash606

Kung naka RAID1 o SHR1 na yung pagkasetup ng drives sa NAS mo, may redundancy na siya so kahit mag fail yun isang drive, accessible pa rin yung shared folders sa network. Hindi ito talagang backup pero in essence, parang fail-over storage siya. Kailangan lang i-replace yung failed drive para ma-rebuild yung RAID1 or SHR1.

Kung hiwalay na single volume yung pagkasetup ng drives sa NAS, install mo yung Hyperbackup sa package center ng Synology DSM tapos set mo yung destination ng local folder backup doon sa isang drive. Configure mo na lang yung settings sa wizard base sa preference mo.

• @MrBungle oh I see, tama nga, since nakikita ko sa setup naka SHR na sya, thank you for the input sir
  • Lagi ako may nababalitaan na ransomware sa mga Qnap although may mga security fixes naman sa updates.

Sana i secure din ng mabuti yung synology at freenas. Target din sila ng mga hackers.
  • while not a guarantee, it's probably best to configure our NAS to only operate within the local network and not expose it externally. It also pays to have a backup to your backup.

While it's probably not healthy for the disks to be brought up and down long term, I bring up my DR NAS every 3-4 weeks just to run a full sync with my primary NAS, then perform a full scrub and run smartctl scans before shutting it down again.

-- edited by alaeh on Sep 30 2020, 05:16 PM
  • Lagi ako may nababalitaan na ransomware sa mga Qnap although may mga security fixes naman sa updates.

Sana i secure din ng mabuti yung synology at freenas. Target din sila ng mga hackers.

yeah nakakatakot din tong mga ganito ngayun, as to secure the important data on the company, I basically put another NAS that replicates the data 1 week worth of data nigthly (databases, documents etc...) and with help of the good dudes in level1techs, I also setup some sort of email notification to alarm me if the sync is way too big (a lot of data was modified, probably a sign for the ransomware) and stop the backup sync.

that NAS is behind firewall and can only communicate one way, the main/production NAS cant communicate to this nightly NAS but nightly NAS can communicate the main NAS (basically dont go to me, ill go to you and see things).
  • This probably deserves it's own thread but I'm either too lazy to start a new one and/or I dont want the responsibility of being the thread starter :) but has anyone at least considered going or have actually gone through to a fully virtualised setup yet? ala Linus' 7 gamers 1 CPU setup.

I've taken inspiration from Linus home project( <click here for link>) to replace a bunch of computers at home with a virtualised multipurpose one (ie NAS duty, My PC, GF's PC, Guest PC, Container, etc)

I just sold off my desktop PC and thinking of going for an EPYC setup instead of HEDT. I would have preferred Threadripper Pros as it can speed up to over 4Ghz, supports RDIMMS and 128 PCIE lanes but it will likely be too expensive if and when it becomes available.

Here are my primary considerations
    ECC RDIMMS/LRDIMMS > ECC UDIMM
    - support for apps that take advantage of ECC ie FreeNAS
    - RDIMMS are generally cheaper and you can normally find 16GB DDR4 RDIMMS for 1.5K in TPC/OLX (that's 12K PHP for 128GB to populate 8 slot mobo or 24K PHP for 256GB to populate 16 slot mobo)

Why EPYC instead of Desktop HEDT or Desktop processors?
    - Relatively cheaper; 32 core EPYC Rome processors (ie 7502) are now going for $1K - $1.2K mark off ebay and likely going to get even cheaper once AMD releases Milan processors;
    - More PCIE lanes; 28 PCIE lanes vs 64 PCIE lanes (Threaripper) vs 48 lanes (10980xe)
    - Keeping in mind that you are replacing multiple PCs

Why virtualised?
    - Homelab; if you love to experiment
    - Modern processor + GPU passthrough performance can run close to near native performance
    - Benefit from Enterprise features: ie VM snapshots, failover/failback features
    - Power Consumption considerations: Using a Big (EPYC) vs Little (Xeon D) approach.. I can failover and failback my VMs depending on CPU demand. I can failover my VMs to the Big Node (EPYC) in the morning then move them back to Little Node (Xeon D) at night when I can leave them overnight then shutdown the Big Node.

I've actually simulated this already but currently using much older hardware ie e5-2470 and DDR3 and my experience has been quite good but looking to replace this with more modern hardware.

1) Big Compute Node (EPYC)
    2) Primary / Small Compute Node with primary virtualised NAS duties (Xeon-D)
    3) Cold Backup / Failover Dedicated NAS duties (2 core Xeon D)

Feel free to share your thoughts.

-- edited by alaeh on Oct 06 2020, 04:19 PM
  • ^as a experienced IT person, yes that is plausible, but its PIA to work on, and if you update something, expect something to break.

unfortunately, what linus is doing is what we call "yeah it should work, but it doesnt mean you have to do it" kind of scenario. because there's a fuck ton you need to do both on the hypervisor and the guest os as well, remember, Nvidia GPU doesnt like running on a VM, not unless you used a outdated driver and hack that one.

to be honest, just get a cloud computing working and that should work as is, kelangan mo lang ng appropriate hardware (probably not your usual consumer graphics cards), you basically need a VFIO compatible GPU, for CPU and motherboard, just look for the lineups that supermicro offers.
  • Hindi ako sure kung tamang thread ito pero ito yung related to storage.

Planning to set up a DIY NAS (Atlhon 3000G system with HDDs) with an option to connect a blu-ray drive for archival storage to M-DISC.

May nakapag-try na ba nito? And kung meron may local na vendors ba ng blu-ray writer and M-DISC or imported talaga?

-- edited by JerbTrooneet on Oct 12 2020, 03:34 PM
  • ^ its actually much cheaper just buy a external USB HDD than doing the burning things.

but hey, maybe you can do it with scripting, as long as linux yung OS na gamit mo sa NAS mo. but your on your own for that thing since no one bothers about optical drive backup anymore.

most backup solutions are done now via cloud or usb hdd, with synology this is a basic feature that their NAS have. other NAS os distribution also support this (eg rsync).
  • After 7 years, bumigay na ang kahuli-hulihan kong 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001.

rsync: read errors mapping "/srv/dev-disk-by-label-xxx1/xxxx/Archives/2020/2020 - 08 - August/filename_redacted": Input/output error (5)

Nasira siya bago pa ako makapag-SnapRAID sync. Nag-warning na ang mergerFS kasi 2TB out of 13TB nalang ang available, pero pinilit ko kasi 2TB free space pa rin naman yun. Lesson learned. Pag pula na, wag nang sulatan. Pero masaya pa rin ako kasi 3 files lang ang nawala, tapos fairly recent pa. Phew!

• guys, just some public service. WD elements 12tb are currently on sale from ***egg in case you are looking to replace/upgrade your NAS drives. I managed to snag 2 but was hoping I could get 4 initially. Too bad I have to wait 48 hours to get more.. promo might be gone by then. .. I think it's Canadian Black Friday. lol
  • mga sir, question po, is it ok to turn off NAS during sleep to save power or better leave it 24/7? TIA
  • mga sir, question po, is it ok to turn off NAS during sleep to save power or better leave it 24/7? TIA

depende sa NAS if its synlogy, that feature is already there.

kung DIY NAS, well medyo mahirap to, it will depend on the BIOS as well if it supports a scheduled power on, but most motherboard doesnt support this, if you have a prebuild HP motherboard, this scheduled power on is in the BIOS.

kung walang scheduled power on ang BIOS ng motherboard, all you can do is find a router that can WOL a certain MAC address at certain time. It can also be done via UPS as well if your motherboard support Power up on USB (which actually just emulates a keyboard press).

-- edited by polka on Oct 15 2020, 05:31 PM
  • @polka, hi sir synology DS220+ po, bago lang sa NAS, what feature po pwede for my case? usually iniiwan ko lang sya naka open 24/7 since may nabasa ako better daw yun to prolong HDD life daw po
  • ^ kung hindi mo naman nagagamit madalas yung NAS mo, like once a day mo lang gamitin, buhayin mo na lang kung gagamitin mo tapos patayin mo na lang pag tapos ka na.

in my case I just left my NAS running 24/7 because its doing other things than serving files (eg, Controller for the AP, Surveilance, Couchpotato stuff, etc... ) most of my drives are spin down, most of the time out of 12 of my drives, the only active is 1 or 2 most of the time. So those drives are technically turned off and for the longetivity of the drives, those drives works just fine, no issue at all even with high count up spin-up on the SMART statistic of the drives (its already on 4 digits).
  • mga bossing na naka synology nas may ibang way ba para maaccess directly yung nas ko ng hindi gagamit ng quickconnect? kasi naka cgnat si pldt fibr diba tapos naka doble nat pa ako kasi gamit ko yung asus router ko (onu naka dmz)

• mga bossing na naka synology nas may ibang way ba para maaccess directly yung nas ko ng hindi gagamit ng quickconnect? kasi naka cgnat si pldt fibr diba tapos naka doble nat pa ako kasi gamit ko yung asus router ko (onu naka dmz)

ipv6
  • ^zerotier <click here for link>
  • Kaka-deliver lang ng mga WD Reds ko, WD80EFAX. Iba-iba pala ang variants nila.

Last year, mas cooler ang temps nung mga nabili kong Reds. Ngayon, nasa 47 C habang nag-HD Tune full scan. While yung mga idle Reds, nasa 43 C. Halos di umaabot ng 40 C yung mga nabili ko last year eh.