Forum Topic

Network Attached Storage (NAS)

• @alaeh

Agreed.

For now, I have the temps under control with the addition of a 140mm exhaust fan on the switch but for sure, I won't be adding anymore 10GBASE-T SFP+ transceivers in my network.

Copper SFP+ is above, Fiber Optic SFP+ is below:

The temp of the switch went back to normal with the active cooling in place:

Worth mentioning that with the new Synology E10M20-T1 card, the throughput seems to be more consistent and fluctuates less compared to the Intel X520-DA1 NIC it replaced. I didn't even configure anything other than setting up an SSD read-only cache.
  • Hey guys, parequest naman ng suggestions sa inyo. Currently using a ryzen 2200g PC as my torrent/plex/file 24/7 server. It is doing me good in terms of electricity consumption but with plex, syempre kulang na kulang siya if multiple devices will simultaneously stream. Any suggestions to what upgrade I can do? or is it worth it to migrate to a Xeon build? or upgrade nalang ako to 3200g/3400g though im not sure if my b350 mobo is compatible with it?

pasuggest na din po pala ng case with multiple HD bays, currently using an matx case with 3 bays.

-- edited by cyberakuma on Dec 19 2021, 03:14 PM
  • @cyberakuma

your setup is fine, ganyan talaga, what I would suggest is just direct stream all of it, wala na rason para mag transcode ng video ngayun given that every device in the market (assuming its modern enough) can handle every codec just fine. heck even my smartphone that is 3 years old can direct stream a 4k HEVC video just fine.

mas economical pa kung yung smart tv mo eh hindi kaya ng direct stream, just directly replace it with nvidia shield, sa kuryente pa lang bawing bawi ka na, lalo na ngayun na meron chip shortage specially with GPUs.
  • QNAP recently came out with a new 25Gbe "Desktop" Switch

SRP is $NT38000 or $1.4USD

What's good about this solution aside from it's fairly low power consumption (35W) and possibly noise (it is marketed as a desktop switch) is that SFP28 (25Gbe) should be electrically compatible with SFP+ (10Gbe) so you can do staggered upgrades ie upgrade your switch, then your NICs then your DAC or SFP modules.

To fully saturate this switch you'll definitely need to consider using NVME storage from both ends

STH Product Review Page
    <click here for link>

QNAP Product Page
    <click here for link>

I do hope Mikrotik comes out with a similar lower power but much cheaper solution.

-- edited by alaeh on Dec 20 2021, 02:22 AM
  • hello mga sir, hingi lang sana ako ng insight nyo.
    DS120J or DIY?
    priority ko kasi power consumption.

meron kasi ako ritong extra PC, i5 4th gen 4gb ram. ginagamit ng kapatid ko for games lang naman.
    plano ko kasing i-24/7, so gusto ko talaga tipid.
    ako lang naman gagamit for cloud photos, files tsaka media usage lang (movies, anime)
  • Deadmau5 on 23 Dec 21 @ 09:51 AM

hello mga sir, hingi lang sana ako ng insight nyo.
    DS120J or DIY?
    priority ko kasi power consumption.

meron kasi ako ritong extra PC, i5 4th gen 4gb ram. ginagamit ng kapatid ko for games lang naman.
    plano ko kasing i-24/7, so gusto ko talaga tipid.
    ako lang naman gagamit for cloud photos, files tsaka media usage lang (movies, anime)

It depends on your preference.

Kung mas makalikot ka sa mga ganyang bagay and you have the time to do the setup, testing and maintenance, I suggest go with the DIY.

Pero if habol mo is plug-n-play, go for the appliance. HTH
  • On this current DIY NAS that I made, with four Toshiba 8TB drives, it cost me around the same price of a driveless 8-bay Synology NAS. Parts are:

i5-6500 proc
    Supermicro B250 mobo
    Kingston 2x8GB DDR4 RAM
    Fujitsu D2607-A21 9211-8I SAS HBA
    AQC107 10GbE Ethernet Multi-Gigabit NIC
    Silverstone ST70F-ES230 700w
    Transcend 120GB NVMe SSD
    Deepcool Tesseract Metal Mesh USB 3.0 Case
    HDD Cage Rack 5.25" to 5X 3.5" SAS/SATA HDD Tray

P61k all-in sya. I'm running TrueNAS on it now, still WIP and need to configure Plex and Deluge BT jails, but overall, sulit na sya for me
  • priority ko kasi power consumption.

bili ka ng ORICO DS Series 5 at HP T620 thin client sa lazada. total cost nyan is around 7.8k. compared to DS120J na nasa 6.4k sya pero 1 bay lang. with that, you can install upto 5 HDD with that enclosure from Orico. If you dont want the T620 unit, pwede mo palitan yan ng raspberry pi 4, pero kung hindi ka sanay sa linux, I recommend T620 since that thing can run windows enough to run you basic stuff while also not breaking your meralco bill.

as for power consumption, that T620 with Windows 10 Installed (preferably install mo yung LTSC 2019 ng windows 10) the power consumption should rival a raspberry pi 4 while idling, at peak power consumption nyan nasa 18watts but I doubt you will be hitting 18watts on T620 all the time lalo na kung 24/7 nakabuhay. dun naman sa Orico DAS unit, power consumption will depend on amount of HDD is installed, but with a bit of tuning to spin down the drives, this can consume 50watts of power if all 5 drives are spin up or <2watt if all drives are spin down.
  • Yung Orico parang 7K din sa Lazada so 14K din ang total. Yung 4-bay DS420j nasa 17K sa Lazada. For simple use mas convenient pa rin ang integrated solution. Comparable din lang ang power consumption sa setup sa itaas.
  • Post deleted #12404756
  • I just found out that the exFAT Access package for Synology DSM is now free of charge for DSM 7.0 and above. It's quite useful when you use external drives between multiple OSes and the NAS.

In response to Microsoft's announcement to integrate exFAT into the Linux kernel in 2019, Synology updates the license agreement with Microsoft and offer exFAT free of charge on DSM 7.0.

<click here for link>
  • hello, nagbuild na lang ako ng DIY NAS, thanks po sa mga suggestions,

ito po ung specs

Intel G1820TE
    Biostar H81MDV3
    2x 4gb ddr3 1600
    1x 4TB WD40EFRX
    rakk 400w

ano recommended nyong NAS OS? im leaning towards OMV

purpose:
    file storage
    media vault
    online cloud (documents, photos)

-- edited by Deadmau5 on Jan 02 2022, 05:22 PM
  • ano recommended nyong NAS OS? im leaning towards OMV
    for your use case siguro ok na ang OMV. You can also consider TrueNAS Core (freenas). Medyo mas marami ka lang kelangan i-consider pagdating sa pag build ng array at pag expand, pero ito ang isa sa pinaka-solid/stable OS na nagamit ko so far.

Kung meron ka naman dating synology na NAS at trip mo yung overall "feel" at capabilities ng DSM, pwede ka mag Xpenology. Though DSM 5 pa ata huling na-try ko sa kanila, meron na rin ata DSM 7.

Tapos if you want to play around more and tinker, pwede mo i-try ang UNRAID. Very flexible in terms of adding storage/expansion and marami ka pa pwedeng gawin. Ang mas nagpapaganda sa unraid is yung dev community nya.

• running na hehe,
    pag aralan ko naman ung syncthing.
    di ko pa gaano gamay ung docker tsaka portainer pero nakapag install na ako ng qbit tsaka wetty
  • May naka windows os ang base os nila?

Plano kong gawing htpc/nas recent server build ko.
    I-vm ko na lang siguro ung omv.
  • ^well its up to you.

if your expecting that you can passthrough a HDD to a VM directly, thats not going to happen. you need a entire SATA card to passthrough that to OMV so it have direct access to the drives.

there may be some hacky way to passthrough that, but this is not a direct access to hdd, its going to emulation so if you encounter a weird issue (that may lead to catastrophic data loss) on your RAID, well your on your own for that. no access to SMART info as well.

tl;dr

with your current hardware, its either you go windows or linux. else, you need to upgrade your setup, if possible the latest hardware because of the improvements with virtualization.
  • Hello mga sirs ask may nakatry na sa inyo mag import ng drives from Newegg? Last time kasi horror movie inipit ng Optical Media Board yung items. Pag paisa isa ba mga sir lusot naman? Naka sale kasi sa Newegg ngayon very tempting yung price
  • Hello mga sirs ask may nakatry na sa inyo mag import ng drives from Newegg? Last time kasi horror movie inipit ng Optical Media Board yung items. Pag paisa isa ba mga sir lusot naman? Naka sale kasi sa Newegg ngayon very tempting yung price

Haven't tried Newegg, but I did buy four 8TB Toshiba NAS drives from Amazon Japan last June for JPY20980 each. Used the DDP option of BuyAndShip, and paid around P6000 for shipment, tax included. I did ask their custserv if I need to prepare any memo to OMV, they said

"Hi it is only required if PH customs asks for it as extra documentation when it is in PH customs. At that time you will be notified if needed. Then you can apply for it "

Dumating sa akin yung hard drives and all but I didn't get any notification to file for OMV stuff.
  • @k_dash
    Anong courier sir if Amazon Japan? Sa Newegg sir sakin UPS, I don't want to point fingers pero feel ko may part din UPS sa pagipit, kasi halos iforfeit ko na yung goods noon
  • I never use direct shipping for hdds because of the risk of getting flagged by the omb which has happened to me twice. One of which was for an rma. I just use a forwarding company to avoid that.
  • @jelome1989
    Not hdd but ssd, twice sa newegg pero walang omb. Pero as suggested, much better nga kung forwarder, less chance na ma omb.
  • Ok thanks mga sirs... forwarder nga talaga or tiis sa 20-40% premium dito sa local stores natin.

Problem sa Newegg hindi ata pwede forwarder sa kanila
  • @jelome1989
    I used BNS for the shipment, but if you're asking kung paano na-ship ni Amazon JP sa BNS warehouse, it's either Amazon's in-house courier or Japan Post. Though it's likely na in-house since mej mabigat yung HDDs :)
  • Any advice mga sirs how to enable remote access ng Plex on Synology NAS through VPN? Tinatry ko ngayon Mullvad VPN kasi may port reservations sila...

Managed to forward the ports sa router, pero sa Plex remote access hindi ko mapagana

@k_dash
    Copy sir, nagpass na muna ako intay nalang siguro next sale dito locally.

EDIT: Got it to work!

Plex Server on Synology NAS via Mullvad OpenVPN on my Asus router. Will test kung ano kaya abutin na bandwidth

-- edited by jelome1989 on Feb 09 2022, 09:42 AM
  • ^gamit ka na lang ng tailscale. once you configured tailscale on your synology nas, all you have to do is enter the tailscale ip address assigned on your nas and that's it, plex.

not to mention I always managed to get direct connection based on my test even on cgnat, though this only reliably work over fixed internet connection (eg fiber, xdsl) but not over LTE connection, its hit or miss for direct connection with LTE, kugn swertehin ka mag direct sya, else, your connection will get relayed to Singapore or Tokyo server.

and yes tailscale is free for personal use.

-- edited by polka on Feb 09 2022, 03:48 PM
  • +1 on tailscale

although I have a public ip, I still use it if I want to access my internal network via my QNAP NAS.
  • Yung tailscale ba parang Synology QuickConnect?
  • Tailscale is like Zerotier, basically Mesh VPN. If you need to access your internal devices securely from outside.
  • Quickconnect works similarly to tailscale. I can access my Synology NAS using quickconnect even if I'm on CGNAT. DS Video even works but only on low bit rate content.
  • Quickconnect works similarly to tailscale. I can access my Synology NAS using quickconnect even if I'm on CGNAT. DS Video even works but only on low bit rate content.

I see. I use QuickConnect to connect to my NAS at home to stream music to the DS Audio app in my phone over LTE wherever I am. I can also remotely access the shared folders using DS File or the DSM web ui. Works really well despite having no configured portforwarding, no bridge mode (double NAT) and my home internet connection being behind a CGNAT. I also get better performance if it's connected to the SG, TW or HK relay servers. I think only limitation is that QC only works on Synology apps or the DSM web ui.

I'll check out Tailscale if it'll work with my other non-Synology apps.

-- edited by MrBungle on Feb 10 2022, 02:49 AM