Forum Topic

Network Attached Storage (NAS)

• Yeah, it's really unfortunate. I guess it just underscores the importance of securing your account/server... In any case, Plex actually forced me to change my password when I tried to login. So all good...
  • Changed mine. Pretty straight forward to do. This is a good response on Plex's end before something bad might happen to my media server.
  • Guys, baka may experience na kayo in using this synology model?

<click here for link>
  • Makikisali lang ako sa Unraid users.

I am currently using unraid as a media server and file storage. For the media server I setup using plex and some of the automations that can be added. Has anyone use the argo tunnel by cloudflare and has anyone got it working with plex so that we don't need to open the ports (32400) for plex remote streaming. Right now most of my docker apps are utilizing the argo tunnel which is accessible on the internet without opening the ports. The only port that i left open is plex.

-- edited by jecstrike on Aug 30 2022, 01:29 PM
  • Has anyone use the argo tunnel by cloudflare and has anyone got it working with plex

dont. using plex over cloudflare is not allowed.

Hi there,

Thank you for contacting Cloudflare Support. We’re sorry to read that you’re experiencing difficulties.

We’ll actively discourage you from doing this, as it says in the terms 59:

2.8 Limitation on Serving Non-HTML Content
    The Service is offered primarily as a platform to cache and serve web pages and websites. Unless explicitly included as a part of a Paid Service purchased by you, you agree to use the Service solely for the purpose of serving web pages as viewed through a web browser or other functionally equivalent applications and rendering Hypertext Markup Language (HTML) or other functional equivalents. Use of the Service for serving video (unless purchased separately as a Paid Service) or a disproportionate percentage of pictures, audio files, or other non-HTML content, is prohibited.
    I dislike quoting T&C’s, to be honest, but that is what the system looks for, and triggering the usage you describe will cause everything to be routed off.

So if the traffic is running over the proxy, that will trigger the derouting for it all, even if it is not cached.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

(REDACTED) | Cloudflare Support Engineer

however you can still use ngrok, not the free ones but the paid ones.
  • @polka

Mukang no hope nga ma itunnel si plex. Meron din kasi mga nag cache bypass or baka lang hindi pa sila nahuhuli. Or baka may nakagawa na ng sureball na trick. Gusto ko kasi maging mobile na yung server para kahit saan ilipat pwede. Thanks for the feedback
  • ^never tried and probably not worth doing it. been using cloudflare as my ddns and as my argo tunnel for my home assistant, but certainly not using it to serve media files over the internet.

kung gusto mo ma access yan kahit wala ka sa bahay, I recommend using tailscale or create your own VPN tunneling. pwede ka rin kumuha ng airvpn and use their port forwarding.
  • @polka

Yes i do have tailscale setup. What im trying to achieve is close all the ports opened on my network and route it somewhere. The plex web works, but not for the plex apps. Im also hosting the jellyfin and that is not flagging my cloudflare tunnel. (maybe not much bandwith being used since most of my users are utilizing plex) but anyways no issues in using the plex open port. Just looking somewhat alternatives that we can route plex for the other setup that are CGNAT bound networks so they can still benefit hosting a server. Napakahirap kasi mag pa alis ng mga CGNAT sa mga ISP natin lalo na di ka maintindihan ng support. Its a different topic but yeah currently stickicng to the plex open port.
  • ^ its up to you. kung ma kick out ka sa cloudflare due to violation of their ToS, nasasayo na yan, ive been using my .me domain through cloudflare, aim ko lang naman kasi sa cloudflare is to use it with Home Assistant so kahit down yung main internet, at least its still open via mobile LTE backup so all the home automation and voice assistant still works, all for this for free (except for the .me domain na binayaran ko back then at 20USD for 10 years). Asking more than that is way too much, kung gusto mo si cloudflare for your plex, you have to pay for it.
  • @polka

No worries im just looking for suggestion if none then its fine which I already said on my previous replies.
  • hello!

may familiar po ba sa NETAPP appliance dito? balak ko sanang installan ng TrueNAS Scale as base OS nya. sana may makatulong.

thanks!
  • may familiar po ba sa NETAPP appliance dito? balak ko sanang installan ng TrueNAS Scale as base OS nya. sana may makatulong.

you can just follow any guide out there how to install pfsense using a serial console, the steps are the same albeit your just installing truenas, the only thing you need to find out here is what kind of console you have on your appliance, if its vga or serial, if its vga, well its pretty straight forward just like a normal pc install, serial install however requires special image of truenas for it to work, unfortunately truenas doesnt have serial image installer so..... your sol for this, unless you use a regular pc, install the boot drive there, install truenas, once installed, just migrate that boot drive install to your appliance, if the activity drive led have some sort of activity, great, now monitor your DHCP server for new lease and look for the Truenas hostname. If that didnt work, well, bad news, you cant use truenas, but you can maybe install debian on it and then install openmediavault afterwards.
  • I'm currently testing tailscale to access my home server (plex) from my mobile phone. Kelangan bang ipa-bridge/unCGNAT ko muna? Bagal ng performance through HKG relay eh. 4Mbps lang nagiging uplink throughput ng home server ko.

Specs:
    Plan1899/PLDT Fibr
    Smart LTE/5G on mobile
    low hardware utilization on server (i3-7100/16GB)
  • I received an email from Tailscale telling me to update the Windows client due to a security vulnerability.

<click here for link>
  • Planning to buy Synology DS220+ and two 4TB drives, either WD Red or Seagate IronWolf. Main purpose is file storage and file sharing lang for small office with 6 employees. Mostly docs and CAD files ang ilalagay. Sasabayan ko na din sana ng UPS, enough na ba yung 650va? May mga brands/model ba dapat iconsider? ise-set up ko din sana na mag auto shutdown kapag nagkaron ng power outage kasi.

Additional question:

Advisable ba if i-set up or iconfig, let say dito sa Manila then itatransfer sa Lucena tapos dun gagamitin for good? May dapat ba ako iconsider bago magamit ng maayos sa permanent place? Dun kasi naka base ang office and dito sa Manila ibabagsak yung items for set up and config sana.

-- edited by oonaakona on Nov 24 2022, 04:26 PM
  • Generally NAS are low power devices. Synology DS220+ uses a 60W power supply, so 650va is more than enough. Synology has a compatibility list for UPS, I suggest stick with either APC or Cyberpower.

For configuration, as long as alam mo yung current network setup then pwede naman.
  • ^Thank you, Sir!
  • ^ im yet to find a UPS in 600-650va rating that have that USB/Serial Communication Port that is generally sold here in Philippines, majority of them have this USB/Serial port available on 700va rating and higher UPS.

just make sure when buying UPS for a NAS should have at least a USB/Serial communication port on it. sticking with known brands is always a good idea.

I recommend Cyberpower 700va UPS since yan lang naman yung pinaka cheapest UPS na meron USB/Serial communication port. cost around 4k+.

in the past meron mga UPS ni APC sold here locally na 500-600va rating na meron at least serial port, but those are old/phased out units so.
  • ^Scored one earlier, Prolink brand naman na 850va. Checked the model number, nasa compatible list of devices naman base sa website ni Synology. Hopefully tumagal. APC or Cyberpower sana kaso mga stocks wala sa listahan na compatible and meron man, 5 digits din ang price and exceeds the budget na. Hehe.
  • ^ didnt really bother checking their compatibility list anyway, afaik all UPS that is sold by APC and Cyberpower use the same communication protocol anyway, after all why re-invent the thing.

CyberPower VP700ELCD UPS yung lagi kong recommended, you can easily buy that on gilmore and also in lazada/shopee, its also cheap, cost around 4k. It may not be in the list but it works regardless.
  • Im trying to setup the VPNB on my Synology 920+ pero i encountered this error baka may makatulong kung paano ko ma setup yung VPN. ang aking internet provider is Converge na naka bridge na din sa modem (F670L) .

-- edited by jhellopy on Dec 31 2022, 02:57 AM
  • ^you can ignore that, a CGNAT connection can also cause that warning as well. there's nothing much you can do about it unless you avail the static IP addon service.
  • Hi everyone just wondering if okay eto Synology DiskStation DS220+ and May NAS 20TB. Backup files and Plex Kaya ba neto Mag Direct-Play ng 4k HDR and Transcode as well? thank you.

Currently, I'm using my DIY NAS w OLD PC Hardware storing Plex media 1080p rip. Planning rip my 4k Bluray Collections...
  • Hi everyone just wondering if okay eto Synology DiskStation DS220+ and May NAS 20TB. Backup files and Plex Kaya ba neto Mag Direct-Play ng 4k HDR and Transcode as well? thank you.

It can probably handle a single 1080p transcode, but if you have plex pass w/ hw acc then 2x1080p transcode.

but rather than transcoding I would suggest to have your client/player support direct play.
  • Anyone using synology? Is there a better way to sort or file photos/videos?

I am just using ds filestation / or naka map lang yung drive sa laptop ko.
  • ^ I guess get a Photo organizer app that uses exif to sort all those photos based when it was taken, not sure about videos though so your on mercy on the filestamp here which maybe inaccurate.

sa case ko kasi I used Nextcloud to upload my photos and videos to my nas and have it automatically sort out on each of their own folder based when it was taken.
  • polka Send Message View User Items on 11 Mar 23 @ 07:06 AM #
    ^ I guess get a Photo organizer app that uses exif to sort all those photos based when it was taken, not sure about videos though so your on mercy on the filestamp here which maybe inaccurate.

sa case ko kasi I used Nextcloud to upload my photos and videos to my nas and have it automatically sort out on each of their own folder based when it was taken.

I think I have found the way to upload the photos based on my sorting by folder. Initially kasi ang suggested way nitong Synology Photos is by "dumping" lang so i still cannot find time to adopt this new app.
    <click here for link>

-- edited by cocoy_01 on Mar 10 2023, 07:15 PM
  • Update sa NAS ko, I have been using Unraid for quite some time now and have successfully migrated my Plex server from my Synology NAS to my Unraid. Just 6TB short to 100TB array capacity.

• HDD prices locally here in Philippines are pathetic. Ewan ko ba bakit nasa 12k ang price n g mga 8TB drive and they are obviously SMR drives. It's pure pain.

And here my again looking for HDDs to buy to extend my storage since its getting full again since my last purchase 3years ago. Kaya eto, imbis bumili locally (again), I basically opened amazon buy a recertified 16TB exos drives from Seagate for 130USD. Since meron tax pag lagpas na ng 10k yung items so I basically do order the stuff twice in different names (me and my wife). The total cost is around, meh 13k pesos.

mukha talagang wala ng pagasa mag improved yung pricing yung mga HDD dito locally.

so sa mga future data hoarders dyan, my advice is avoid local, go import agad, kahit mahal yung shipping from US to PH mas makakatipid ka pa din.
  • ^ Muntik na rin ako bumili ng HDD nung recent Prime Day sale. Hindi lang natuloy kasi nag hesitate ako na baka ma damage sa shipping.