Forum Topic

PC Technician Lounge (Trading/Selling Not Allowed)

• Post deleted #12435506
  • Guys, keep it clean and no personal attacks. We won't always have the same opinion which is actually good and can start some very good conversations. However, not everyone will agree with a point that is brought up but they are still entitled to their ideas. Let's make sure that we respect each other.

The thread can provide help to members that might have problems but that won't happen if it gets locked.
  • ang kokorni naman ng mga to. dito pag mag sasagutan kung ano ano. dun kayo sa stasyon ng Radyo.

di nakaka tulong mga pinag sasabi nyo.
  • help, need advice, thank you in advance
    laptop, Lenovo Ideapad 130-141KB, i3 7th Gen. Usable kahit mabagal.
    Upgraded from 4gb RAM to 12gb by adding 8gb module (YT video tutorial) success
    Replaced 1tb HDD with 240gb SSD, success! Windows installed and currently using. Quick response and Windows experience has upgraded.
    MIstakenly assumed that the DVD-ROM dummy rack would have cable/data connection para pag nilipat ko yung lumang HDD, maikakabit ko. Wala pala.

yung socket sa upper right ng first picture, ano yun? May way ba para ikabit ang lumang HDD sa socket, kung sakaling data socket nga yun?
    edit . . . ayaw bumukas ng pic sa page, paki open na lang sa ibang tab para makita. salamat sa magtitiyaga
    -- edited by paugie on Dec 05 2022, 01:22 AM

-- edited by paugie on Dec 05 2022, 01:24 AM
  • ^
    You need a optical bay hard drive caddy. Get one that's for 9.5mm optical drives.
  • @awakeruze
    wala na yata nagbebenta dito noon, tiningnan ko
    pero kung may makita ako, automatic ba na swak na sa data socket yung caddy at agad agad din makikita ng system ang HDD?
  • automatic ba na swak na sa data socket yung caddy at agad agad din makikita ng system ang HDD?

Generally yes.

Try "hdd caddy" as your search keyword.
  • may nakita ako sa FB Marketplace di pa nga lang nagre-reply
    still hoping the mod will work
  • Noob question po, kakabili ko lng ng Ryzen 5 5600G CPU at ang motherborad ay Asus A320M-K, pero after ko ma install ung cpu sa board no POST message. Sinilip ko sa website ng Asus kung supported ung CPU ko at andun sya list pero nakalagay ay Bios Version 6042 ang problema ay hindi ko alam kung anong version ng bios ung nabili kong mobo. Ano ang pede ko gawin para malaman ko kung updated b ung bios nya fresh from out of the box o need ko bumili ng ibang motherboard?
  • Para makita ung bios version ng mobo, you need to get into the bios to check it.
    - kung used ung mobo, maybe try to ask si seller maybe matulungan ka nya na i-update.
    - kung new and bought from shop, maybe try to ask shop for help in updating

otherwise, you need to find a way to get (borrow/use/buy/etc) a 1 or 2 series na ryzen proc to get into the bios, check the version and update if necessary.
  • - kung new and bought from shop, maybe try to ask shop for help in updating

yung lang ang problema sa l*zad* ko lng binili yung yung proc & board mukhang bibili n lng ako lng ibang board n compatible yung Ryzen 5 5600G ung out of the box ay compatible n. wala kc akong mahihiraman n extra cpu.
  • Hello,

Lately, I've been getting whea_uncorrectable_error bsod once or twice every 2 to 3 weeks. I've tried various troubleshooting steps such as chkdsk, memtest, uninstalling and reinstalling nvidia drivers kaso nauulit problema. Tinitiis ko lang kasi nawawala yung issue pero bumabalik palagi kaya napapaisip ako if mag palit nako ng cpu, ram pati mobo kasi may edad narin, 3 years na 9900k ko then 4 years na mobo and ram ko.

Edit: as an added note, di nag ooverheat ang cpu and gpu but i still experience whea_uncorrectable_error and masaklap pa is stuck at 0 percent yung bsod kaya walang minidump ma create every time it bsods

-- edited by johnvinc on Dec 18 2022, 10:19 PM

-- edited by johnvinc on Dec 18 2022, 10:19 PM
  • @Remod

suggest na you contact si seller on L*zad* and see if they can help you. If they sold it as a bundle, dapat compatible/working out of the box. If you haven't received it yet sa app nila, try to return/refund if they're not helping.

Problem nung buying another board is hindi mo pa tested kung fully working yung 5600G. If you get another board and it has the same issue, you'll have ended up spending additional and the problem is still not resolved.

@johnvinc
    Try mo open event viewer and check for the error and kung may details. Since the error points to a possible hardware, it's best to try and identify the faulty part. Even if you decide to still get new hardware, you can still sell the old working parts. Usual isolation troubleshooting follows:
    -strip pc down to just proc, mobo, 1 stick ram, psu and hdd and retry tests to help narrow down if faulty part is installed or not
    -if problem still persists and may extra known good parts ka, replace parts 1 by 1 and re-test can help narrow it down
    Sayang rin naman kasi kung i-tambak lang ung older hardware and selling na "combo as defective" will also result in buyers na babaratin ka
  • suggest na you contact si seller on L*zad* and see if they can help you. If they sold it as a bundle, dapat compatible/working out of the box. If you haven't received it yet sa app nila, try to return/refund if they're not helping.

Problem nung buying another board is hindi mo pa tested kung fully working yung 5600G. If you get another board and it has the same issue, you'll have ended up spending additional and the problem is still not resolved.

Pinadala ko sa seller ung motherboard para mapa update ung bios, accomodating nmn si seller, hoping na lang na kung sakaling bumalik sa akin yung mobo ay gumana.
  • Sounds good. Hopefully gumana na pagbalik ng board
  • anyone here naka experience na magpa repair kay C&Y computer services kasi may pina repair ako sa kanya na GPU he said ok na daw sent pics and vids pero pagkarating dito sa akin parang di nman binuksan at same problem card has no power and display pa din.
  • Hello sirs!

My OS had been telling me about the errors on this old drive for a few weeks before it finally stopped being detected (wd10ezex 1TB purchased 2016). I read somewhere that I can try access the contents of this HDD via USB, as there are important files on this drive. The reason I am going this route is because when it is connected normally to the mobo, it prevents my pc from booting.

I have my eye on a few items from Lamada that will hopefully allow me to still access it as there are important files there.

Basically I am planning on purchasing a sata to usb cable converter that also requires a 12V DC 2A adapter to work for 3.5" HDDs:

Separate items:
    SATA to USB Converter - <click here for link>
    12V DC 2A adapter - <click here for link>

Would purchasing the items separately work? There is an alternative that has both but is much more expensive (see link below):
    all-in-one sata to usb converter with DC 12V 2A adapter - <click here for link>

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

-- edited by vladislav on Feb 14 2023, 11:51 PM

-- edited by vladislav on Feb 15 2023, 12:17 AM
  • You can get an Orico 2-HDD dock for pretty close to the price of the combo which is more useful since you can clone drives.

Just be aware that there will always be the chance that your HDD will no longer be detected in which case you won't be able to get your files the normal way. I remember someone from the forum that got a blinking light on the dock with a bad hdd.
  • @bum4now

Interesting, thanks for the suggestion. Don't know if I want to shell out that kind of money though.

Yeah, I pretty much expect the drive to no longer work but I'm still hopeful. Which is why I feel the need to be cheap here lol
  • From personal experience, it's easier to do HDD data recovery when connected directly to the SATA port rather than via a USB-to-SATA adapter. This is because the USB-to-SATA adapter would stall/hand if the HDD takes too long to respond.

That said, I don't use Windows for data recovery-- I have a Linux installation on an external SSD to boot from, which contains the software that I need.

More than the software, what's needed is free disk space more than twice of the malfunctioning drive's capacity. Why? Because the first step is to create a disk image of the damaged drive, then perform the data recovery on the disk image.
  • @awakeruze

I appreciate the suggestion, but I don't know that I'm willing to go to that extent, nor do I actually have the knowledge/skill to do it right now. It's been many years since I last used linux.

Do you maybe have a simpler solution (i.e. more newbie friendly?) :D
  • My OS had been telling me about the errors on this old drive for a few weeks before it finally stopped being detected (wd10ezex 1TB purchased 2016). I read somewhere that I can try access the contents of this HDD via USB, as there are important files on this drive.

When this happens, the first thing you need to do is to copy all the stuff that's important from the failing drive. You're already lucky that it didn't fail catastrophically but gave warning signs first. If you didn't copy the data then it's a big missed opportunity.

Have you tried listening to the HDD? Put your ear near it when powered up and listen for sounds. If there's a continuous clicking sound then it's likely the HDD has physical damage (e.g. failing actuator arm, head crash, etc.) and software data recovery won't be possible. If you don't hear the repetitive "click of death" then the HDD has better prognosis.

-- edited by HwiNoree on Feb 15 2023, 06:27 AM
  • @HwiNoree

That's good advice for @vladislav

@vladislav
    Sorry, but I don't have a simpler solution. If you "don't go to that extent" as you said yourself, then I can only assume that the data in that drive is not that important to you. If that's the case, then take it as a hard lesson and move on.

I bought a 4TB HDD just to recover data from my laptop's old 1TB HDD, spent more than a day just creating a disk image of that failing drive, then two or more days to recover more than 80% of its contents.
  • @awakeruze

I'm curious, what software did you use? I did data recovery a really long time ago using software called R-studio. It was very good but it wasn't free (got a jack sparrow copy though, heh). It did recover the contents of the failing hard drive 100%.

---
    The lesson we can learn from this is that it's important to have a backup strategy.

I'm actually in the middle of backing up a large amount of data to cloud:

I started early December and still haven't finished but I'm down to the last 6 terabytes and 10.4 K files out of 22 Tb and 1.7 million files. Daily uploads have improved to > 600 Gb per day after I bought a Deco X50. Also, my transfer speed gets halved running off VPN so I'm using NordVPN using their P2P optimized server option.

-- edited by HwiNoree on Feb 15 2023, 07:38 AM
  • @HwiNoree

I don't hear anything...yet. So maybe it's still salvageable

@awakeruze
    You have a point. Those files are not a necessity, just nice to have (probably less than 500mb worth of files). Unfortunately, I just don't have the technical savvy (or budget) to be able to pull off what you are suggesting, so *shrugs* I guess on my part. But thanks again for your 2 cents.
  • @vladislav

I've seen a data recovery service in the Cyberzone of SM North, it's in the floor below the topmost. I think it's still there, just forgot the name. Maybe you can try visiting them so they can take a look at the HDD.
  • @HwiNoree

It's an open-source program called Recuperabit <click here for link>
    It's not easy to use as it has no GUI at all (completely text-based, and command-driven), but I've had good success with it. Previously used it on my dad's laptop and only lost 1 folder, the contents of which he managed to find on his client's computer.

The recovery rate on my 1TB HDD was great (well over 80% maybe even 90%) given that it had lots of unreadable sectors (the drive suffered a head crash while in a USB enclosure).
  • @HwiNoree

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll see if I can find the equivalent in/near my area as I am from the south.

Just out of curiosity (it's none of my business and you obviously don't have to answer) - you seem to have an absurd amount of data. I can't imagine someone having all that data in the form of just movies, games, tv series etc. What exactly is all that data for? I'm guessing it's database related?
  • Actually those data are exactly what you said, movies, game installers, anime, music, etc. I get a lot of data off torrents but most torrents eventually die and you can no longer get the files and it's essentially lost forever. Since HDD space is relatively cheap nowadays, I just keep on downloading and archiving. I have one 4 Tb WD Blue, three WD Red 8 Tb, one 10 Tb WD "white" (shucked from an external drive) and one 14 Tb WD external HDD that I haven't shucked. The person where I buy the HDDs from already has an 18 Tb drive but I don't need the space yet.

I actually have a collection of 2 Tb drives I no longer use since I migrate the data to progressively larger HDDs. They're pretty old but still working fine the last time I looked at them. I still haven't figured out what to do with them.

Incidentally, Backblaze Personal is unlimited backup. You can upload a petabyte (1000 Tb) of data and the cost of the backup service remains the same. Their cheapest plan is 130$ for 2 years, which is equivalent to 3.6K PhP yearly. That's just 300 pesos per month, which should be affordable for many people who have valuable data to back up.

-- edited by HwiNoree on Feb 15 2023, 08:27 AM
  • It's an open-source program called Recuperabit <click here for link>

Thanks, I'll take a look at it. I'm from the era of MS-DOS so command line is fine for me :-)