Forum Topic

Where should I go when upgrading laptop RAM?

• 2 years ago I bought a Lenovo laptop from Gaisano-interpace in Gilmore area. It only came with 2GB RAM and I want to add maybe additional of 4GB. They told me to wait for 1 year since it is still under warranty. Now that it's long overdue I'm contemplating if it is OK to bring the laptop to Gaisano and they'll upgrade it for me and just buy the parts from them, rather than go far away to a Lenovo service center? Are the PC shops in Gilmore capable enough to do simple laptop RAM upgrades?
  • Any pc shop should be able to do ram upgrade
  • That's good to hear. It's just that I was thinking every laptop manufacturer has different ways of RAM upgrades that only their designated technician knows, so some people say you should go to manufacturer's service center instead.
  • I have a OEM laptop from lenovo and I upgraded the RAM from former 4gb to 16gb without any kind of warranty void, even the OEM it self allows this kind of upgrades, so just in case that youre going to have the unit to be warranty, all you have to do is place back the ram that was provided to it and ship it back to the manufacturer.

this is always the case on most laptop upgrades. replacing the ram doesnt void your warranty, unless the RAM is totally in-accessible for replacement/upgrades (some laptops was design by this) but most of the laptops have a dedicated compartment for RAM and HDD so you can just easily replace it without voiding the warranty.
  • you can first check youtube for guides on how to upgrade your laptop's ram. if it's easy, you can do it yourself. it's almost the same as installing PC ram. only issue usually comes from accessing the ram slot.
  • if it's no longer covered by the warranty, you can do it yourself or at the computer store where you plan to buy the ram.
    check first what the specs of ram your laptop uses by searching for the hardware manual of your laptop (search by model number) or go to a memory scanner tool like this one from Crucial <click here for link>
  • I already checked on Youtube and it is quite difficult and I saw in forums that some people screwed up opening it as you can easily damage the keyboard.

If I buy the laptop RAM from the computer store (e.g. Gaisanointerpace) do they usually charge for the installation ?
  • ^ it's up to them, if it was easy enough to install, then maybe they can waive the labor fee else you have to pay it because of complexities of the installation.

I mean installing a ram in a laptop only requires removing one screw to access the ram compartment, some laptops requires full disassembly which may be difficult to open.

I can still remember servicing one of the netbooks of my relative, I need to replace the HDD and do a major ram upgrade (max out to 4gb) and it is pain in the ass to open the thing, replacing the HDD is kind of easy but upgrading the ram is more difficult because its in the other side of the motherboard, dammit MSI and youre damn designs.