Forum Topic

The LCD Monitors Thread: Tips, Tricks, Tweaks, New Products and Reviews

• @Richmond061892
    Is backlight bleed enough reason para ireturn ung monitor? Just got VG27AQ unfortunately meron sya lower left and right edge

I think all monitors suffer some degree of backlight bleed. Mas common complaint siya sa IPS monitors dahil mas visible ang backlight bleed on IPS.

It could also be na hindi naman severe ang backlight bleed and yung monitor has a too high brightness setting. Most monitors are set at 50% to 100% brightness out of the box, so make sure to set it to a normal setting before assessing backlight bleed.

If you look at the calibrated settings of RTINGS or TFTCentral they actually recommend setting the brightness of the VG27AQ to zero. I suggest is follow their calibrated settings but set the brightness to a level you are comfortable with. Then check again if the backlight bleed is still visible or noticeable.

(Backlight bleed picture from TFTCentral on their ASUS VG27AQ)

Kung very severe ang backlight bleed even with the recommended settings, I suggest you try returning it. But may risk din na yung replacement unit will even have worse backlight bleed or some other defect like dead pixels. So if you plan to return it to the shop and get a replacement, ideally try to inspect the replacement monitor before it bringing it home. Hindi lang ako sure kung possible yun with the quarantine in effect and all PC shops closed pero baka pwede i-arrange with the shop owner.
  • I think all monitors suffer some degree of backlight bleed. Mas common complaint siya sa IPS monitors dahil mas visible ang backlight bleed on IPS.

It could also be na hindi naman severe ang backlight bleed and yung monitor has a too high brightness setting. Most monitors are set at 50% to 100% brightness out of the box, so make sure to set it to a normal setting before assessing backlight bleed.

If you look at the calibrated settings of RTINGS or TFTCentral they actually recommend setting the brightness of the VG27AQ to zero. I suggest is follow their calibrated settings but set the brightness to a level you are comfortable with. Then check again if the backlight bleed is still visible or noticeable.

(Backlight bleed picture from TFTCentral on their ASUS VG27AQ)

Kung very severe ang backlight bleed even with the recommended settings, I suggest you try returning it. But may risk din na yung replacement unit will even have worse backlight bleed or some other defect like dead pixels. So if you plan to return it to the shop and get a replacement, ideally try to inspect the replacement monitor before it bringing it home. Hindi lang ako sure kung possible yun with the quarantine in effect and all PC shops closed pero baka pwede i-arrange with the shop owner.

Sir thank you dito finollow ung ko calibrated settings ng tft eto itsura nya ngaun.

0 brightness

50 brightness

75 brightness

Di ko sure kung normal lang ung gnyan backlight bleed or nasanay lang kasi ako sa Dell u2715h ko na wala which is sya ung nasa right side na naka landscape. Thank you

-- edited by Richmond061892 on Mar 24 2020, 11:31 PM

-- edited by Richmond061892 on Mar 24 2020, 11:31 PM
  • @Richmond061892
    0 brightness

Yung zero brightness setting corresponds to 114 nits, so I guess siya na ang closest to 120 nits (common calibration point). Kung well lit ang room mo, I suggest picking a brightness setting from 0 to 40 (40 = 200 nits). Yung brightness setting of 50 and above masyado na bright in my opinion.

Di ko sure kung normal lang ung gnyan backlight bleed or nasanay lang kasi ako sa Dell u2715h ko na wala which is sya ung nasa right side na naka landscape.

Para fair comparison, set the Dell to lanscape mode as well and dapat forward looking sila pareho (and not angled inwards) to prevent IPS glow. Then take a picture around 2-3 meters away para both screens makukuha mo in one shot. Try to avoid over exposing the image... which is hard to do with a smartphone camera hehe... Anyway yung importante is the photo should be as close to what your eyes are seeing in real life :-)

Yung 0 brightness photo mo seems to be a combination of backlight bleed + IPS glow especially sa lower right quadrant ng VG27AQ where there is huge clouding. Naka-angle yung monitor mo, so mahirap masabi kung backlight bleed lang ba siya or with IPS glow.

On the same 0 brightness photo, yung clouding sa lower left quadrant ng screen does look like backlight bleed.

It's up to you sir kung gusto mo return ang monitor or not, hindi ko kasi masabi ano yung tolerance mo for backlight bleed. Also try asking yung ibang owners ng VG27AQ on this thread kung ano hitsura ng backlight bleed sa VG27AQ units nila (and you can compare).
  • Hello! I have a purchasing query if anyone is willing to put their input, it would be greatly appreciated.

I have a friend who is selling his LG 34UM69G-B for Php17,000 as he has upgraded to another monitor. Is it a good buy if I would be using it mainly for productivity (MS Office, PDF), media consumption and World of Warcraft gaming.

Any input is welcome. Thank you!
  • hi, i am currently working from home and was given a dell P2214H by the company as an extension for my laptop. I am enjoying it right now and would like to get a recommendation for something like this. I will return this after the COVID situation and would get my own monitor.

Any recommendation for a good deal at the same size, new or second hand will do. I mostly watch movies and just occasional online gaming and light photo editing.

Thanks!
  • @jeck102002
    hi, i am currently working from home and was given a dell P2214H by the company as an extension for my laptop. I am enjoying it right now and would like to get a recommendation for something like this. I will return this after the COVID situation and would get my own monitor.

Most of the monitors sold here that are 22-inches in size do not come with a fully adjustable stand (height, swivel, tilt, rotate). I suggest going for a 24-inch monitor as some models have fully adjustable stands:

- ViewSonic VG2448 = Php 10,440
    - ViewSonic XG2405 = Php 12,690 *
    - Dell P2419H = Php 13,150

* The ViewSonic XG2405 is capable of 144Hz refresh rate which is good not only for gaming but can lessen eyestrain as well. This would be my pick for an all-around monitor used for work, movies, games, and light photo editing.

If a fully adjustable stand is not needed, there are cheaper options available in 22-inch and 24-inch screen sizes. Just let us know your budget.
  • @sleepygeepy

One thing na iiniisip ko kasi baka in the near future, masyado na din maging maliit ang 25inch since mas madami nang lumalabas na 27inch monitor with almost the same specs sa 25inch na konti lang ang difference sa presyo — tapos parang konti lang ng difference nya sa 19inch monitor.

Anyway, may ma-rerecommend ka ba for 25 inch and 27 inch 144hz IPS panel na close sa 15k? Nag-check kasi ako sa mga stores, almost 20k na yung 27inch na ips panel.

If I go for 27inch, either VA or TN panel ata ang bagsak ko. Kung ganun, mag 25inch IPS nalang ako. :) Hehe

thanks sir!
  • @AljonDerrick
    Anyway, may ma-rerecommend ka ba for 25 inch and 27 inch 144hz IPS panel na close sa 15k? Nag-check kasi ako sa mga stores, almost 20k na yung 27inch na ips panel.

May IPS panel gaming monitors at 27-inches... AOC 27G2 and ViewSonic XG2705. Price nila nasa Php 15K so pasok sa budget. Between the two mas maganda yata reviews ng AOC 27G2 but I would consider them almost the same, specs and features-wise. Meron din ASUS VG279Q but more expensive siya at Php 16,350 ~ Php 17,450 depending on the store.

Sa 25-inch yung only IPS option mo is ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q at Php 14,350.
  • @sleepygeepy

May IPS panel gaming monitors at 27-inches... AOC 27G2 and ViewSonic XG2705. Price nila nasa Php 15K so pasok sa budget. Between the two mas maganda yata reviews ng AOC 27G2 but I would consider them almost the same, specs and features-wise. Meron din ASUS VG279Q but more expensive siya at Php 16,350 ~ Php 17,450 depending on the store.

Sa 25-inch yung only IPS option mo is ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q at Php 14,350.

Mukang ASUS VG279Q or VG259Q ang choices ko. Thanks sir.
  • @sir sleepy
    magrurun din ba smoothly if yung moonitor although wala sa official list ng gsync compatible pero pwede ma enable gsync, parang gusto ko mag 2070 super na lang sa msi272cqr instead 5700xt thanks
  • ^

Without Gsync Compatible Certification means either hindi pa thoroughly tested yung Monitor or It does not meet the Nvidia Certification. Although it may work, your result may vary.

Been using Gsync Compatible with my XG438Q Monitor since October 2019, wala ako naging problem kahit hindi Certified ang aking Monitor.
  • ^thanks sir odell
  • @CrkDice

Ang alam ko mga bagong model ng MSI gaming monitor tine-test ni MSI for G-Sync compatibility. Pero internal testing lang ito at hindi kasing comprehensive na testing tulad ng ginagawa ni Nvidia (G-Sync Certification).

Regarding yung MSI MAG272CQR monitor mo, gagana ang G-Sync with RTX 2070 Super so no worries there. Pero ang suggestion ko is keep mo ang framerate above the minimum refresh rate range ng monitor which is 48Hz. So as much as possible don't go below 48 fps sa game when using G-Sync.

Yung madalas na issue with non-certified G-Sync compatible monitors is yung LFC hindi gumagana palagi. So kapag mag below the minimum refresh rate range ng monitor, may chance na maka-encounter ka ng flickering, stutter, or sometimes nag blink ang screen.

-- edited by sleepygeepy on Mar 26 2020, 07:13 PM
  • ^thanks sir sleepy, nakita ko kasi dami complain sa 5700xt tapos yung iba IFS na agad reason sakit sa ulo ng driver issues
  • So, question about my Lenovo Legion Y27Q-20...

Parang kelangan nia "mag warm up". Pag bagong bukas siya parang merong interlacing na nangyayari. Makikita mo for a split second ung parang vertical pixels sa screen pag nagdidisplay cia ng moving objects (like a camera pan on a video). Nawawala naman cia in 30 minutes or so, pero normal behavior ba un?
  • @vulcanfury

It could be dahil sa 165Hz operation... overclocked setting kasi ang 165Hz so baka kailangan ng panel warm up time. Try mo sir i-set to 144Hz muna baka makatulong. Almost negligible naman din difference between 144Hz and 165Hz.

Lately mainit din ang panahon and nasa 33C ~ 35C ang ambient temps... it could be na yung monitor is running hotter than usual at baka may effect din.
  • Pero ang suggestion ko is keep mo ang framerate above the minimum refresh rate range ng monitor which is 48Hz. So as much as possible don't go below 48 fps sa game when using G-Sync.

how bout sa movies sir, since 30 fps lang sila. thanks
  • how bout sa movies sir, since 30 fps lang sila. thanks

still 30 fps parin.

So, question about my Lenovo Legion Y27Q-20...

Parang kelangan nia "mag warm up". Pag bagong bukas siya parang merong interlacing na nangyayari. Makikita mo for a split second ung parang vertical pixels sa screen pag nagdidisplay cia ng moving objects (like a camera pan on a video). Nawawala naman cia in 30 minutes or so, pero normal behavior ba un?

might be a dying panel or defect somewhere on the panel board.
  • if seconds tolerable pa, but 30 minutes medyo nakaka duda na
  • @sleepygeepy

Note na hindi ko alam kung kelangan nga nia uminit. Ang ibig ko sabihin is ung Warm Up na parang mag gym ka.

@CrkDice

Gusto ko sana irecord kaso di ko alam kung gano kaaus cia lalabas on video. Tska ndi ko cia makukuha sa screenshot eh. Pero ndi naman cia ganung kapansin pansin. Kung ndi mo actively hahanapin di mo makikita.
  • @CrkDice
    how bout sa movies sir, since 30 fps lang sila. thanks

Hindi naman siya magiging issue unless yung movie player uses G-Sync or FreeSync which is unlikely :-)

Yung monitor mo will still play the movie at 30 fps and maintain the same display refresh rate by duplicating video frames. If yung movie na pinapanood mo is 24 fps like BluRay rips then set mo lang yung monitor refresh rate to 144Hz or 120Hz para ma-lessen ang visible judder. For 30 fps movies and 60 fps videos, then set the refresh rate to 120Hz.
  • @vulcanfury

Hindi ako sure kung ano yung interlacing nakikita mo on-screen... nangyayari lang ba siya in games or even in the Windows desktop?

Meron limitation ang LG Nano-IPS panel na mas mabagal ang red phosphor niya. So kung enabled ang backlight strobing sa monitor may makikita ka na red trail na parang after-image. Hindi kaya ito yung nakikita mo na vertical interlace pattern?

<click here for link>

Well documented siya sa BlurBusters, but simple lang naman ang solution and that is to turn off backlight strobing or any motion blur reduction feature sa monitor.
  • @sleepy:

Un nga kase mejo mahirap i-describe at ipakita hehe. Pero ndi cia red na after image. Parang makikita mo lang ung vertical pixels nia kapag may gumagalaw. Kita cia in-game or kahit YouTube videos lang basta bagong bukas ung monitor (either from power on or wake from sleep na matagal). Baka nag iinarte lang ung mata ko .
  • @vulcanfury

Hindi kaya artifacting siya from your videocard? Or bad cable connection?

Pero kung sa monitor siya galing, I think hindi siya normal at baka nga kailangan pa-warranty yung monitor once mag lift na yung quarantine.
  • @sleepy:

Aun nahanap ko na ung term. Hindi cia "interlacing" most likely parang vertical scanlines ung nakikita ko. Tska exaggerated din ung 30 mins. Around 10 or less lang pla. Pero after that ok na cia.