Forum Topic

The Movies Thread (Ratings, Reviews and Recommendations. Spoilers not allowed.)

• Btw pinalabas ba sa netflix kanina ang live telecast ng Academy? Coz parang may nakita ako days ago annoucement sa netflix app na ipapalabas nila. Hinahanap ko ngayon pero wala. Or maybe na malik-mata lang ako. Mandela effect kumbaga.
    Ang alam ko Screen Actors Guild Awards yung live telecast ng Netlix last Feb 25.
  • Re: critics/Academy voters' choice vs. what regular moviegoers enjoy...

To each his own, one's appreciation of a movie (or any other art form) is subjective...One might catch/appreciate something another person might not. Example: Poor Things or any other Yorgos Lanthimos movie. Some will find it really good, while others might just be shaking their heads.

Also, producers do a lot of lobbying to get their projects noticed by the award-giving bodies. So, you might like one movie or an actor's performance, but it doesn't guarantee it will get any nomination or win at the major awards.
  • So, you might like one movie or an actor's performance, but it doesn't guarantee it will get any nomination or win at the major awards.

That is why i underlined content of the statement, and used the word "confusion". It's their (The Oscar) gig....to each his own is correct.

I was expecting something more since it was an Oscar contender. Prolly this was made with Oscar judges in mind coz Im quite sure this will not blow away regular movie fans. Mas maganda pa Holdovers dito.
  • Poor things di ko din natapos. Not my taste. But I 100% agree with emma winning. She gave her everything for this movie. Halos maiyak din ako sa pag accept niya sa orcars.
  • Though I really expect to be entertained or to be blown away by Oscar nominated films, maybe there are things that only Oscar judges can appreciate. So with the case of Anatomy of a Fall, expected more. Marunong naman ako mag appreciate ng drama films, even predicted ba manalo ng best picture ang The Green Book before. But honestly di ako into technical details when judging a movie. Criteria ko lang is whether maganda or hindi. If I am hooked meaning im watching the movie without using or glancing at my phone, if not the movie is just a background noise while Im on social media.
  • Alone (2020)

Good Thriller movie, it keeps my heart pump fast, simple and good execution on the story.

8.5/10
  • 12 12 The Day

Watching a historical drama film is really a unique experience but it is more amazing to experience if you have zero idea of the things that transpired. I have already an idea about President Park's assassination in Man Standing Next and the Gwangju Uprising in the film A Taxi Driver but I have no idea about the events that happened in between. 12.12 is the film you don't want to miss.

Anyway as for the movie itself, it is really an edge of the seat experience. At first I thought it was just another movie about politics as I had zero knowledge of the date December 12 in SoKor's history. But when the story started to roll, my attention was captured right away. It was gripping all through out and it was quite intense most of the time. Though this event doesn't concern me at all, but it is somehow relateable since we Pinoys have a fair share of political struggle. So somehow, I experience the right emotions watching this movie. I was particularly sad of a particular character's fate. All in all, it is a good movie if you are into SoKor's turbulent political history.

5/5

-- edited by deadmanwade on Mar 13 2024, 10:52 PM
  • immortalkings Send Message View User Items on 14 Mar 24 @ 11:54 AM #
    Alone (2020)

Good Thriller movie, it keeps my heart pump fast, simple and good execution on the story.

8.5/10

Anong Alone ito daming Alone title nung 2020 meron pa nga series eh. Sino actor ng main cast dito?
  • ^Thanks for the reco sa The Outfit. It was great. Mark Rylance was a slam dunk as the cutter haha.

You're welcome

Madame Web(2024)

setting =2003...and it feels like a 2003 superhero movie XD. Same level with Nick Cage's Ghost Rider....hehehe
  • Madam Web

Okay, this pique my interest. 3.7 sa IMDb and 12% sa Tomato.

Are you saying that this it the most badass Marvel related movie?

Try ko panoorin... hahaha.
  • Madam Web

Damn, I thought the reviews were exaggerated but this movie is just so sad. Di ko pa natapos kasi inantok ako. Na excite pa naman ako kasi kahit papano may Marvel movie akong papanoorin but damn, pano kaya to nakalusot kahit sa test audience. Well some are saying na this is just sony's lazy attempt to make a movie kahit basura para di ma forfeit yung rights ng Spiderman at bumalik sa Marvel. But damn, sana man lang gandahan nila kahit konti. Also in my opinion, the laziest actress out there goes to Dakota Johnson. Ewan bat may kumukuha pa sa kanya. She is so lifeless kahit san sya ilagay.

Anyway kahit di ko pa tapos ang movie, zero out of 5 na ito for me.
  • Post deleted #12462139
  • Anong Alone ito daming Alone title nung 2020 meron pa nga series eh. Sino actor ng main cast dito?

oo nga no, haha, didn't know about the others.. hehe

Jules Willcox and Marc Menchaca