Saw it last night and it was the very definition of a fun movie for me. I'm actually very surprised at how not bad it was. Eto yung klase ng treatment that I was expecting from the Ninja Turtles movies. Halos lahat ng mga kasabay ko ay nasa same age bracket as me and most definitely grew up watching these shows. Here are some key points:
- Yes it's cheesy but not cringe-y. They definitely understood what made the show fun and just rolled with it. They got what the Power Rangers is all about.
- Good main characters with good team chemistry. Each of the five is given a strong backstory. You'll actually care about each of the Rangers.
- Perfect nostalgia fan service. Keep an eye out for cameos from two MM Rangers. Big cheers from my showing!
- The original theme song was played and most of us went bonkers :D
- There's a mid-credits scene that sets up the sequel.
Bottom line is, if you enjoyed the Power Rangers as a kid, you will definitely enjoy this movie.
I rate it a 7/10.
I agree. Pero nakulangan ako sa fight scene with Rita. Gusto ko rin yung re-design sa Zords, parang Michael Bay's Transformers.
May mid-credits scene pala. Sayang umalis kami agad.
Ok naman sana. Nacornyhan lang ako sa huli.... Biglang napatanong kami, "huh?! Ano yun????" And kahit thriller siya, di ako natakot man lang or natensed. Minsan si Prof X pa rin nakikita ko haha. Though ok naman acting nya. Natatak na lang siguro sakin masyado na siya si Prof X :D
I expressed before my distaste toward movies that dwell with the character/s origin because buildup takes so much of the movie's running time. Power Rangers' character buildup (though necessary especially for new viewers), felt like a slow burn. It was tiresome to watch. It felt like 3/4 of the film was allotted to character development and the remaining 1/4 was reserved for the action which most of us fans were dying to see.
Well to be fair, the writers came up with a pretty solid narrative. I like the dark tone of the movie. Scenes weren't cheesy or cringe-y. Action scenes were quite decent as well. My only problem was the lengthy origin of Power Rangers. I believe 1 hour into the movie, all 5 characters were still struggling with their roles. It was exciting at first but it became tedious to watch towards the end.