Forum Topic

IBM Thinkpad users thread

• If the laptop came with Windows 8 or newer, the Windows product key is embedded in the BIOS.

lifetime na ba yung key n yun para sa laptop na iyon? may nag sabi sakin na pde ko ilink sa ms account ko pano b mangyari dun? instead na local user gamit ko sa laptop ko ms account ang lologin ko? pano pag walang net?
  • lifetime na ba yung key n yun para sa laptop na iyon?

Yes.

Regarding MS accounts, I can't help there, as I don't create Microsoft accounts on the Windows 10 PCs that I have.
  • Yes.

so if kahit palitan ko ito ng ibang storage ayos lang kasi andun sa laptop yung key naka embed?

regarding sa recovery partition pala naka lagay iyon dun sa storage nya di ba? pano pag pinalitan ko storage mwawala na un? hindi na gagana yung recovery NOVO button nya?
  • so if kahit palitan ko ito ng ibang storage ayos lang kasi andun sa laptop yung key naka embed?

Yes. I've upgraded a few laptops from HDD to SSD, did a clean install on most of them and Windows recognized the key in the BIOS. I did have to create a text file named EI.CFG with the following content and put it on the SOURCES directory of the installation USB disk:

[EditionID]
    [Channel]
    OEM
    [VL]

This forces the installer to read the license and product key from the BIOS. This also allows me to choose the edition of Windows (Single Language, Home, Pro, etc.) during installation. This give me a sort-of "universal install disk" for laptops and branded desktops, as I don't have to download and keep installation ISO images from every PC manufacturer.

Regarding the recovery partition:

If you used a Windows installation image from Microsoft, it definitely won't create a recovery partition.

However, using a manufacturer-supplied restore media won't automatically mean it would create a recovery partition: when I upgraded my mother's Ideapad to SSD two years ago, I used Lenovo's included software to create a Windows 10 restore disk, but when I used it, no recovery partition was made. On the other hand, the SSD was only 120GB (the original HDD was 500GB), and perhaps the installer was smart enough not to create the recovery area in that situation.

-- edited by awakeruze on Aug 05 2020, 09:21 AM
  • [EditionID]
    [Channel]
    OEM
    [VL]

what if the laptop comes originally with a Home edition and i downloaded a Pro Edition from the Web and install it? can i use the key embedded key on it?
  • ^
    1. Use Rufus <click here for link> to create a Windows 10 installer USB flash disk.

2. Check if there's an EI.CFG file in the Sources directory. If there is, replace its contents. If there isn't, create one.

3. When you start the installation process, it will ask which Edition to install. From personal experience, most consumer laptops have Home-Single Language edition.

-- edited by awakeruze on Aug 05 2020, 07:53 PM
  • Pinamana ko na yung X230 sa anak ko para sa online schooling nila. Maayos pa naman kase upgraded na yung hard drive to SSD and 16GB RAM. Next upgrade would be IPS screen at ang priority ko for now is the extended battery. Ayaw na talaga mag boot pag nakasaksak yung battery, ewan ko ba kung bakit so kelangan remove ang battery at direct sa charger lang muna para mag boot.

I have existing battery here for another unit kaya pwede mag hiraman. May nakakaalam ba kung san maganda bumili ng genuine or 2nd hand battery? PM na lang sa name ng store. Thanks :-)
  • @all

Baka pu meron kayong alam na pag kukunan ng battery ng T430 orignal pu sana, pa PM na lang pu ng store name. TIA.
  • Hi Ma'am/Sirs, got a used Yoga 260, but it has win10 home, but in the website it should have win 10 pro, may alam po kayo na way to upgrade it to win10 pro or do I need to reinstall from scratch and use the EI.CFG approach recommended earlier ni Sir Awakeruze?

Thanks in advance po ...
  • ^
    The laptop should have a "Windows 10 Pro" badge. If the badge only reads "Windows 10", then it's Home Edition.

IIRC there are programs that can read the product key that's embedded in the BIOS/UEFI firmware and check which edition it's valid for. I cannot check this as my X220 originally came with Win 7 and does not have an embedded product key.
  • ^ I see. thanks sir
  • sayang after checking via a tool our Yoga 260 comes with Win 10 Home lang ... :(
  • Usually, Win 10 Pro is bundled with business-class Thinkpad lines like the T, X, and P series.
  • Any shops recommended that's not Lenovo?

I have a thinkpad x230 and accidentally spilled beer in the keyboard. I was able to dry out the internals and after two (2) days - the only progress I had is that the laptop is charging. I don't know now if I just have a defective keyboard or there's something else that's causing it not to power on.

I got my x230 dirt cheap and when I tried to source out for one - this pandemic and the ned for laptops at home increased the prices at around 12k - 17k at base model (320GB HDD and 4GB RAM) so any help is highly appreciated
  • ^
    There's a fair chance the keyboard was damaged by the spill. AFAIK there are two ways to turn it on without a keyboard:

1) remove the CMOS/RTC battery -- this will cause the laptop to immediately turn on when the charger is plugged in.

2) find pin19 on the keyboard connector and short it to ground. Note that this carries quite a bit of risk, due to the tight spacing of the contacts.

• Hingi lang po ng advise mga sirs, nasira po yung keyboard ng laptop ko (LENOVO IDEAPAD 305-14IBD), meron po ako nakitang replacement sa online, pero wala ng stock, pwede po kaya yung keyboard ng IDEAPAD 300-14IBR na lang gamitin ko, yan po kasi ang meron ako nakitang available. Salamat po.

<click here for link>
    <click here for link>

-- edited by junt on Sep 28 2020, 04:41 PM
  • @junt

TBH those two keyboards look identical.
  • Mga boss baka po may alam kung saan makakahanap ng i7 4702mq locally. T540p po unit ko.TIA!
  • My X220's WLAN slot got wrecked for some reason; already tested the WiFi card on another Thinkpad and it still works.

Since I don't use the mSATA/WWAN slot anymore, I'm going to install a mini-PCIe to USB adapter card + USB WLAN adapter (I'm eyeing the Archer T3U).
  • Ano po kaya ang pwede kong gawin sa Fan Error ng Thinkpad X200T. Biglaan lang to, although dati napansin ko na mahina ang air flow pero naayos naman siya ng pag ihip dun sa vent. Pero kani kanina lang naririn ko yung grinding noise at ayun 0 RPM na siya, nag stop na yun fan. Need na kaya ito i replace? Parang ayoko magtiwala sa mga fans dun sa Lazada/Shopee.
  • ^
    Clean and lubricate the fan and heatsink first. "pag ihip dun sa vent" is a shitty way of doing maintenance because it doesn't even remove the dust that has built up inside, it just shifts them around.
  • ^ Hindi ko siya hinipan literally, ginamit ko po yung sa pang pump sa balloon. Random siya, kagabi pag pinower on mo, aandar ng mga ilan segundo tapos bigla siyang mag ooverspeed? bibilis masyado tapos mag vivibrate then full stop. Tapos pag inalis mo power source then plug it again, gagana nanaman.

Ngayon, inalis ko muna keyboard then binomba ko ng pump ng balloon tapos wala naman ako nakita na stuck dun sa loob. Gumagana uli siya, tapos after restarting namatay nanaman fan. Then restart again, gumana na uli.

Ininstall ko yung package na thinkfan para sa Debian GNU/Linux para ma control yung speed ng fan, sineset ko sa level 0 then 7. Sa level 0 full stop fan 0 RPM, then sa level 7 ayun ung maingay na tunog na over speeding na yung fan. Currently, ito gamit ko, minomonitor ko muna kung mangyayari uli.
  • It's still a bad way unless you actually remove the heatsink, separate the fan, and use a brush and blower to remove all traces of dust in the fan and in between the cooling fins of the heatsink.:

Your blower is similar to this right? I use one too:

Then pull on the fan hub to separate it from the motor, then put a drop of light machine oil (I use Singer sewing machine oil) on either the metal shaft on the fan hub or the bushings on the motor (I prefer the latter). One drop is actually too much; with the folded corner of a tissue or paper towel, absorb the excess, as too much oil will attract dust.

I've done this on the X60/61 and X220's I've maintained, whether its mine or my family's. I've done the same to my clients' laptops (Thinkpad or not).

On more than one occasion, I've made the Fan Error go away for more than a year just by cleaning and lubricating the fan. But if the bearings are too far gone due to a lack of proper maintenance, then no amount of oil is gonna solve it and you need to buy a replacement.
  • Also, you think fan speed 7 is loud? Try "disengaged". Because let's face it, most of the X series Thinkpads are saddled with inadequate cooling systems. AFAIK excluding the s variants (like the X60s, X61s, and X200s), the X200 is the only one that doesn't get much overheating complaints.
  • nakabili ako sa office ng x250 for 5k only and planning to upgrade ram from 8gb to 16gb at ng battery, pabulong naman ng store name kung saan sulit makabili
  • RAM can be bought at any decent computer store. What you need is DDR3L-1600 or faster SODIMMs. DDR3L runs at 1.35v-- regular DDR3 will not work on it. IIRC it will display an error message then shut down.
  • Hi again, ginamit ko po yung sa panghangin sa lobo. Yung pump type na plastic. Ayan po yung fan, mukha siyang hindi orig lenovo component. Nag search ako sa lazada/shopee ganyan din model ang lumalabas pero wala kaseng reviews kung ok yan. As of now, hindi ko pa nilagyan ng sewing machine oil yun fan pero gumagana na siya. I monitor ko muna kung mag fan error uli. Walang FRU number yun fan na yan. Honestly, ayoko i remove yung buong fan heatsink assembly, kelangan pa kase alisin yung motherboard niya (ref to 200T Hardware Maintenance Guide). Eto lang kase ang nagagamit ko na laptop ngayon mahirap pag nasira pa.

eto yung fan na nasa X200T ko:

• If the fan only has two wires, then it's not original. There should be at least 3 wires because the 3rd one is for RPM sense.
  • ^ It has three wires. RPM sensor works.
  • If you're too afraid to fully disassemble the X200T, that's your call. I understand since it's the only laptop right now.

~~~~

The Archer T3U arrived last Wednesday, and compiling the out-of-tree kernel driver wasn't difficult (I run Linux primarily), and it works without issues. Now I'm waiting for the PCIe to USB adapter so I can put it inside the chassis.