Forum Topic

IBM Thinkpad users thread

• Be careful of E14 Gen 2 AMD Thinkpads. We experienced 4 DOA. Thoroughly test laptops on the first 7 days and keep the box.
  • Any recommended trusted shop where theycan repair/replace a Yoga 260 hinge? PM if not allowed in the forum (sorry just in case). Kindly PM and thanks in advance.
  • what are the upgrades for the T430 webcam ?
  • @amusing

None that I know of.
  • @amusing, we use an external USB logitech webcam. Sobrang labo kasi talaga yung built-in ng T430.
  • Hello, anyone here who can recommend someone or a shop that can install an IPS display for the x230?
  • @popoy_23
    IPS LCD is a drop-in replacement and shouldn't be too difficult, except if you're talking about a Full HD mod kit which requires soldering.
  • @awakeruze
    yeah just trying to be careful this time I guess not sure what I did to mess it up looking for an ordinary IPS

is it the same though for x220 should one decide to go IPS or FHD? One's a drop-in replacement and the other requires fhd mod kit?

• is it the same though for x220 should one decide to go IPS or FHD? One's a drop-in replacement and the other requires fhd mod kit?

Pretty much yes.

A more detailed (and technical) explanation for the FHD mod:

The factory 12.5" LCD options for the X220 and X230 have a resolution of 1366x768 and have a single-channel LVDS connection, and the laptops themselves are equipped with a single-channel transmitter to match. This is a problem, because single-link LVDS cannot move pixel data fast enough to properly drive a Full HD (1920 x 1080) screen; the maximum is 1440x900.

The Thinkpad X240's IPS Full HD screen uses an eDP (embedded Displayport) connection.

The solution then, is to route the Displayport signals on the X220/230's docking connector and use it to drive the X240's FHD LCD. This can be done by fabricating a small circuit board that goes on top of the laptop's system board, directly over the docking connector. The circuit board needs to be soldered to certain pins in the docking connector.

Sample installation pics:

System board before installation. The exposed area is the docking connector and its surroundings:

FHD adapter kit soldered to the docking connector:

The lid also needs to be slightly modified in order to fit the X240 (or similar) LCD panel:

• Amazing. Thank you sir @awakeruze. May I know what thinkpad you're using right now?
  • @popoy_23

I'm currently using a second-hand X220 with USB 3.0 and its stock 1366x768 IPS display.

I didn't do the FHD mod because 1920x1080 on such a small screen is too much for my poor eyes-- currently using a 22" 1920x1200 Eizo monitor with my X220.
  • @awakeruze

Thanks for the feedback. Would you be able to point me to a reliable seller of an IPS screen or even a 1920x1080 one for the x220? I'm contemplating on really getting an x230, but since I used to have one, I'm now exploring getting an x220 to experience the classic keyboard. I don't mind the slightly "slower" processor as I also migrated from Windows 10 to Linux Mint
  • Thanks for the feedback. Would you be able to point me to a reliable seller of an IPS screen or even a 1920x1080 one for the x220? I'm contemplating on really getting an x230, but since I used to have one, I'm now exploring getting an x220 to experience the classic keyboard. I don't mind the slightly "slower" processor as I also migrated from Windows 10 to Linux Mint

x220/t420 keyboard fits with x230/t430 (and vice versa)
  • x220/t420 keyboard fits with x230/t430 (and vice versa)

Not entirely true.

The connectors are the same, and they're broadly compatible, but there are keys that don't work properly.

Also, you need to flash a modified firmware (for the embedded keyboard controller) on the T430/X230 in order to fully support the T420/X220 keyboard. Finally, some pins on the keyboard need to be covered/taped over-- otherwise you risk damaging the keyboard's ribbon cable due to a higher-than-expected current flowing through said contacts. The reason is that the T430/X230 added a backlight power rail on some pins that were previously unused on the T420/X220.

Source: first-hand research regarding the mod, as I was interested in upgrading to an X230 but absolutely hated the chiclet keyboard layout.
  • ^ we've been buying bulk thinkpads. palit palitan lang sila ng parts... basta makabuo from different donor thinkpads. pati LVDS cable ng ni T420 and T430, interchangeable. basta tama yong LCD (ie. HD lvds cable will not work on HD+ screen - but HD+ LVDS cable will work on both HD and HD+). ganyan ginagawa namin. wala naman problema.

-- edited by newbie on Sep 21 2021, 06:19 PM
  • By the way, here are the current ThinkPads in my possession.

mga nabuo ko lang yan galing different donor laptops. eto yong mga hindi na-kumpleto from our bulk buys... na binilhan ko ng separate components para mabuo.

Carbon X1 (gen2)

T470p, X230, T480, T420 (from top to bottom):

I also have X250 from my previous office, which was sold to me cheap (8k, 2018) when we were retrenched (pampalubag loob hehe) - currently being used by my daughter for her online class.

-- edited by newbie on Sep 21 2021, 05:46 PM
  • The T420 and X230 were painted with truck bed liner paint (ala Raptor)

T420 (bottom) had some over sprays which ruined the texture. Fortunately, I have a spare LCD cover for T420, which I was able to paint decently:

• @newbie

T420/430 parts interchangeability is mainly due to the T430 being a minor update (CPU + chipset) compared to a platform upgrade (T430 vs T440).

Their keyboards thought are not 100% compatible.

Regarding the bed liner paint, how's it holding up so far? Looks good TBH. :D
  • okay naman yong paint... Samurai yong brand. mag 1year na, okay pa naman. though hindi ko naman talaga nagagamit dalawa dahil Linux mga naka install. X230 (Linux Mint) at T420 (xubuntu) - nagagamit lang sila pag need ko mag-cross compile ng programs na mini-maintain ko.

yong t480 hackintosh, yong t470p windows, yong X1 carbon windows din - gamit pang NFT games.
  • I also had x60 (donated to our barangay) and X201 (binigay sa pamangkin ni esmi).

right now, wala na kameng makuhang bulk buys ng mga phased out Thinkpads.... lakas na ng kumpetisyon simula noong nag-online class.

but i'm always on a look out for defective thinkpads sa fb marketplace, pang collection lang hehe.
  • Of the fully working ones, I have one X61 and two X220's. T series (the old ones) are too big and heavy for me to lug around.

Of the "still-working but not really worth spending much money on", have two X61 Tablets (broken hinges), X60 chassis with X60s board inside, and an X220 with a battered chassis.

I'm always on the lookout for broken Thinkpads that can be scavenged for parts-- once I bought a supposedly defective X60 to put the X60s board in, only to discover that said X60 was fully functional, and the previous owner was just bad at troubleshooting. Eventually gave that X60 to a relative.
  • Any good tech na pwedeng magpaayos? I wanna save my t40
  • Uy meron pala thread for Thinkpads :). A big fan since IBM days pa, really sturdy machines.

I own an X-series (X250), got it from my sister when her office sold some old IT equipment last year bago mag pandemic. At 4000 petot with some cosmetic damages, a missing left Alt key and Trackpoint, who am I to complain hehehe

I already replaced the stock screen last year with a used IPS 1080p screen at palit HDD to SSD. Madali lang magpalit screen, around 15 minutes. The used screen has some edge bleeding and ghosting pero expected na.

Planning to sell the OG screen para upgrade na yung RAM nito. 4GB is barely enough for some tasks. Saka hanap na rin replacement key at Trackpoint sa mga may sirang Thinkpads :D
  • @hilikvs
    T40 is not a good candidate for repairing, as its USB controller (part of the Intel ICH4-M southbridge chip) is susceptible to damage (design error on Intel's part). Besides, it's more than a decade an a half old by now.

@ShinjoYokatsu
    4000 pesos for an X250 is an absolute win.
  • To be honest my X250 is a bit banged up, kaya I can understand yung pricing sa cosmetic damages. Madami gasgas na yung top cover at yung dual batteries can barely dish out 4 hours max on a light load. Been looking for replacement batteries pero I'm not hoping for original parts to show up anytime soon. Saka nung binaklas ko loob para linisin sari saring pagkain ang nakita ko hehehe
  • To be honest my X250 is a bit banged up, kaya I can understand yung pricing sa cosmetic damages. Madami gasgas na yung top cover...
    how deep are the scratches? it can be easily reconditioned by a scrubbing pad (i.e. Scotchbrite). This is how we recondition our revived ThinkPads before we sell.

Steps would be
    1) put a damp cloth or plastic between the LCD cover and keyboard and close down the lid (LCD cover). the cover should overlap the whole area of the laptop. the purpose is to catch possible water/detergent droplets from falling in to the keyboard or other components
    2) wet the scrubbing pad with water (add some detergent to to act as lubricant to ease up the process)
    3) gently scrub the lid (LCD cover), with 100% coverage in up-down or vertical motion (don't go circular, diagonal or crisscross). scrub again to cover the whole surface, this time in horizontal motion (i.e. left to right, right to left) ?
    4) dry up the wet surface with a damp cloth
    5) repeat as may be necessary (until all scratches are gone or barely noticeable)
    6) put some conditioner, i.e. Vaseline lotion. No Wipe-out or Armor All. Just normal lotion, and wipe with a lint free cloth.

NOTE: don't put so much force when scrubbing, as you might scrape the paint. the purpose is only to level the surface.

-- edited by newbie on Sep 22 2021, 07:21 PM
  • @ShinjoYokatsu

Still a good price IMO. 3 years ago I got this X220 i7 (the one with USB 3.0) for 3.5k without RAM and HDD, and with a cracked palmrest, dead battery, and slightly damaged lid. The upshot is that it had an IPS screen, which the seller himself didn't know. :O
  • @awakeruze

Yes papshie, mura nga sya nung sinabi ng kapatid ko na mag liquidate yung opis nila ng IT equipment for scrap/salvage. Yung mga hindi nilapastangan mejo malaki difference sa presyo pero yun daw ang naunang naubos.

Todo linis ginawa ko nung unang tanggap ko sa X250 ko, plus palit HDD kaagad to SSD.

@newbie

Ginamit ko microfiber + soapy water ang panlinis ko, pero talagang may deep scratches na sa top cover. Gumamit na rin ako ng panglinis ng interior ng kotse, wala talaga. Rubbing it harder might remove the rubber coating altogether kaya pinabayaan ko nalang

• Pero instead of Vaseline I might wipe it with a very light coat of Ballistol instead. Thanks sa tip na maglagay ng conditioner.

Dati naglagay ako ng Meguiars protectant sa bare plastic, but not sa rubber coating. Subukan ko next time sa tago na part ng rubber coating
  • Hi guys how much would a keyboard replacement tor e570 would cost? Accidentally spilled sprite the mobi was fixed costs around 4k and now they said the keyboard is not working and would cost 3k is that the usual price for keyboard??