Forum Topic

Network Attached Storage (NAS)

• ^ Oh no. So now, it's a lottery even for the 10TB drives.

I guess I'll have to remove those 10TB WD external drives on my Am*zon wish list and replace them with 12TB and 14TB variants. Hopefully I can get good deals on Black Friday/Cyber Monday later this year.
  • ^nagsasale din po ba ang higher capacity models pag Black Friday? Ang pagkakaalam ko usually lower capacity models lang.

Yung Seagate Exos X16 16TB nakasale parin sa Newegg. Around 21k including VAT. Mukhang good deal na po iyan?

Di parin ako nakabili ng NAS, pero decided na ako sa DS920+, will buy pag nakaluwag luwag ng sched. Isabay narin siguro niyang Seagate drive by September, hopefully ganyan parin price niya.
  • @Decidueye

Nagbabakasakali lang ako kung mag sale yung mga 12TB at 14TB WD external drives. Usually basta yung mga high capacity external drives ng Seagate at WD, expected na nagkaka-sale. Pag mababa talaga ang presyo, doon ako nag-oorder.

Hindi masyado nag-sa-sale yung mga internal NAS at enterprise drives. Kung mag sale man sila, mahal pa rin kumpara sa mga external.

Yan ang dahilan kaya nauso yung shucking ng mga external drives. Mas mura pero risk yung warranty.

Nakita ko sa r/DataHoarder, yung mga 16TB Seagate Expansion drives, Exos ang mga laman:

*not my pic

• ^ok sir thanks, baka 1 or 2x lang muna bilin ko siguro sa Newegg, intayin ko rin yang sale sa external drives.

EDIT: RIP, price just went up 1.2k php.

-- edited by Decidueye on Aug 26 2020, 01:37 AM
  • Got a new U-NAS 8 Bay case, initially ordered this to replace the my current Freenas DR case (bottom). Not that anything was wrong with it.. just the U-NAS is more pleasant to look at or I'm just plain OC in the sense I'm mildly annoyed that my NAS cases don't match. Lol.

But now that it's here, I'm having second thoughts if I even want to replace my FreeNAS DR case since its functional.I'm thinking I can get an HBA with external connectors (9300-8E/9300-16E) and just convert this to a DAS. That way I can scale out my primary FreeNAS server to 16 bay without having to get those full fledged 16-24 bay rackmount case although I'm fully not opposed to that idea. Saw a guide for how to to it (see link below). it's just that it takes a lot of work and planning to silence a 24 bay case. There are power considerations too.

How to Scaleout FreeNAS
    <click here for link>

-- edited by alaeh on Aug 26 2020, 10:54 AM
  • Hi.

Nag-search ako sa forum but wala ako makita...

I am looking for tips on which reasonably priced locally available cpu tower case to buy.
    I know Fractal Design Define 7 XL can handle up to 18 3.5" disks but I think only 6-8 slots are included in the package. I read it is hard to order the Type B trays for it.
    <click here for link>

Phanteks Evolv X can handle up to 10 3.5" drives but only 4 are included in the package.
    <click here for link>

I have been searching FB Marketplace and Lazada and see many cases with all these colorful lighting inside. However, I don't see the drive cages inside. Most or almost all ads I see only highlight the many fans and colorful lighting in the case.
    I see plenty of space on the right side of the case.

Will the P800-P1,000 hard drive cages I see on Lazada fit on these cases?
    <click here for link>

Sorry for the trouble.

Gusto ko bumili ng murang case vs Phanteks (P13,000) and Fractal Design Define 7 XL (P13,000).
    Hindi ko lang alam kung kasya yung hard drive cages.

I am planning to put 8 drives and up to 12 max drives inside.

Thank you.

-- edited by tigastorres on Aug 31 2020, 11:57 AM

-- edited by tigastorres on Aug 31 2020, 11:59 AM

-- edited by tigastorres on Aug 31 2020, 12:09 PM
  • @tigastorres

I also looked at Fractal Design 7XL initially when I was planning the set up of my FreeNAS DR server but moved away from it for the very same reasons you mentioned ie sourcing parts. It would have been great if Fractal already included all these accessories out of the box since you are already paying some serious cash.

Also, it's quite hard to emphasize enough the convenience and simplicity of having removable drive bays and a backplane. No mess and no fuss.

If I were to build up a tower NAS case, I would look into below. My preference would be the Lian Li if you can still find it.

Lian Li PC-Q26B - 10 bay - discontinued
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1177088-REG/lian_li_pc_q26b_mini_itx_tower_3_5x10_2_5_x1_hdd_silverer.html

Integer Computers B-650 - 7 + 1 bays
    https://integercomputers.com/shop/b-650-mini-computer-case/

InWin IW_MS08 - 8 bay
    https://www.ipc.in-win.com/soho-smb-iw-ms08

Inwin IW-PLV - 12 bay
    https://www.ipc.in-win.com/pedestal-tower-iw-plv-tower

My recommendation to visit STH and see what homelabbers use for their builds.
    https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php
  • Hi.

Nag-search ako sa forum but wala ako makita...

I am looking for tips on which reasonably priced locally available cpu tower case to buy.
    I know Fractal Design Define 7 XL can handle up to 18 3.5" disks but I think only 6-8 slots are included in the package. I read it is hard to order the Type B trays for it.
    <click here for link>

Phanteks Evolv X can handle up to 10 3.5" drives but only 4 are included in the package.
    <click here for link>

I have been searching FB Marketplace and Lazada and see many cases with all these colorful lighting inside. However, I don't see the drive cages inside. Most or almost all ads I see only highlight the many fans and colorful lighting in the case.
    I see plenty of space on the right side of the case.

Will the P800-P1,000 hard drive cages I see on Lazada fit on these cases?
    <click here for link>

Sorry for the trouble.

Gusto ko bumili ng murang case vs Phanteks (P13,000) and Fractal Design Define 7 XL (P13,000).
    Hindi ko lang alam kung kasya yung hard drive cages.

I am planning to put 8 drives and up to 12 max drives inside.

Thank you.

@tigastorres

If you're looking for something locally available and brand new, then I personally would go for the Define 7 XL. Just order the drive trays from Amazon or Newegg. However, if you're not picky, you can grab an old Cosmos case from here or the FB marketplace. I can confirm that those 5.25 to 3.5 cages work nicely.

I currently have 9 3.5" drives with an SSD, but I have the ability to go to 12, possibly 16 3.5" drives if I get creative.
  • @tigastorres
    Bro kung may makita ka pang Fractal Design ARC XL maganda yan... ito gamit ko ngayon, binilhan ko lang lang ng extra tray.

• There's a dealer on L* selling 1250w (this one from Colorful is platinum certified) and 1600w PSUs for extremely cheap, formerly for mining but can be repurposed to power multiple hard drives.
  • mga sir, hingi ako advise, na setup ko na yung SYNOLOGY NAS ko, gumamit ako 2*4TB Seagate Ironwolf, iniisip ko na yung 1 drive isa magiging backup and shared drive ko then gagawa sya duplicate copy to another drive as additional security na kahit masira yung main drive, meron pa isang backup, tama po ba ito? salamat po in advance
  • @nelvash606

Kung naka RAID1 o SHR1 na yung pagkasetup ng drives sa NAS mo, may redundancy na siya so kahit mag fail yun isang drive, accessible pa rin yung shared folders sa network. Hindi ito talagang backup pero in essence, parang fail-over storage siya. Kailangan lang i-replace yung failed drive para ma-rebuild yung RAID1 or SHR1.

Kung hiwalay na single volume yung pagkasetup ng drives sa NAS, install mo yung Hyperbackup sa package center ng Synology DSM tapos set mo yung destination ng local folder backup doon sa isang drive. Configure mo na lang yung settings sa wizard base sa preference mo.

• @MrBungle oh I see, tama nga, since nakikita ko sa setup naka SHR na sya, thank you for the input sir