Forum Topic

TPC HeadFi Group (No Trading, mention of Seller/Shop Name)

• @crischi

Hahaha :3 eh di para iwas tsismis, yayain mo yung group of friends mo sa work (including her, of course). Tapos sabay-sabay kayo pumunta ng itlugan. Malay mo, malason yung iba mong workmates at mapabili sila ng di oras ng headphone. Haha :3

Whenever I talk about headphones/earphones sa office and I tell them how much I am spending on my gear, they give me that quizzical look that says, "Weh, di nga? Why would someone buy headphones/earphones that expensive when you could get my music fix with a so-so headphone/earphone?" Kaya nga excited na ako for my HE400i. Once I properly burned them in, dadalhin ko pareho yung HD600 and HE400i and mag-set up ako ng mini HP demo area dun sa desk ko. Tingnan ko kung hindi pa sila ma-convince. :3
  • @jaibautista

good idea yan sir, gawin kong group visit para iwas issues :D kaso iilan lang dito samen un may interest sa ganitong bisyo, most would really settle sa mga generic HPs na nabibili sa bangketa..

same with your experience, nagugulat din sila na gumagastos ako for HPs.. sabi ko e for pleasure and comfort kaya bumibili ako ng mamahaling gears tsaka pag nahook ka na sa ganitong bisyo e there's no turning back :D :D :D
  • @ crischi

Lurker lang ako sa thread dito pero, talaga bang worth it ang tunog ng ~15K na headphone kagaya ng Sennheiser HD600 against sa ~2K (Superlux HD681)? Ganda na kasi ng tunog nito na hindi ko alam kung 8x more ba ang sound improvement niyan.
  • @majingotan

di pa naman ako gumastos ng ganyang kalaki para sa isang item sir, pero kung mababasa mo ung mga experience ng mga members dito e malalaman mong malaki talaga pinagkaiba - maganda kasi talaga setup nila. as for my own experience, malaki ang improvement, maplease ka talaga at mafefeel mo talaga ang music using better gears.
  • Malingotan may cheap Takstar HI2050. Maganda tumunog coming from iems. Then bumili ako Hifiman HE400s. Nilampaso. Superlux class ang Takstar.

Today I still enjoy it but I know its flaws. Gusto ko kasi pagka bright and overall good tonal balance. Thinner sounding lang siya at less bas definition and extension.
  • Recommendations para sa next logical upgrade sa set-up ko? Pref. ~Php 25k and below, portable, new/used, no shipping from overseas.

Currently running HD 600 through laptop/Touch 5th Gen -> iBasso D-zero MK2. Feel ko I'm missing out sa amp portion nung d-zero. Sa pagbabasa ko sa CS/SBAF, parang ang endgame portable options are either Leck UHA-6s or GO V2 + balanced output, pero wala namang local retailers nun dito. Ano ba alternates?
  • @boybandista

If you can save a couple thousand petot more, I'd highly recommend the Chord Mojo. Sakto, sale din ngayon sa itlugan ang Cypher Labs Theorem 720 DAC/amp (cash price is Php25k). Kung may makikita kang CLAS+CL Duet/ALO Audio RXMk3B+ for ~Php30k-Php35k second hand, that would also be an end-game portable stack.

IMHO, okay ang DZeroMk2 if you're just starting out. Once you're looking at the heavyweights, though, it is grossly underpowered.

FYI, if you go balanced output, you'd have to change your cables as well. Also, balanced output makes sense if everything along the audio chain is balanced as well. IMHO, too pricey and too much of a hassle. Unless of course you're willing to burn lots of moolah. Haha :3
  • Lurker lang ako sa thread dito pero, talaga bang worth it ang tunog ng ~15K na headphone kagaya ng Sennheiser HD600 against sa ~2K (Superlux HD681)? Ganda na kasi ng tunog nito na hindi ko alam kung 8x more ba ang sound improvement niyan.

Majingotan, I remember auditioning that HD681 in LS Megamall more than 3 years ago. They have it on display back then, they also have two other Superlux HPs (different model) which are connected to the superlux amp. During that time, I have a Grado SR225i with me which is known to have a forward midrange and bright treble. So my impression about the HD681, they're lacking in midrange, the treble is muffled, lacks so much clarity, tonally very dark and the bass is boomy and has no texture. I'm not here to discredit your HD681, that's not what I meant. Although my impression might sound harsh to you, if you're satisfied with that HP, there's really no problem with that. So IMO, you really need to audition those HPs and let your ears decide if they're worthy. No matter how much mumbling we do here in the forum, you really cannot tell what you're missing until you hear them considering music is subjective and the enjoyment of it is a very personal matter.
  • Once I properly burned them in, dadalhin ko pareho yung HD600 and HE400i and mag-set up ako ng mini HP demo area dun sa desk ko. Tingnan ko kung hindi pa sila ma-convince. :3

@ jai I wish meron akong officemate na katulad mo hahah
  • @majingotan

Here's what I will propose so that you be the judge if the HD600 is indeed 8x better than the HD681:

(1) Go to a reputable headphone shop where you'll have easy access to demo units of the HD600 and various amps
    (2) Try A-B'ing the HD600 and your HD681 with your current setup
    (3) Next, A-B both HPs using entry-level amps, mid-level amps, and high-end amps
    (4) Let us know what you've heard. :3

Sabi nga nila palagi, YMMV pagdating sa perceived value ng HPs because we have unique ways of perceiving value in the first place, much more unique ears and sound preferences. Most couldn't justify the jump from Php1k headphones/earphones to Php2k-Php3k since in their view spending that much on music appreciation is bonkers. Come to think of it: who would want to hear that extra intimacy in MJ's and Paul's voice while listening to "The Girl Is Mine" when you can make do with earphones that came with your smartphone purchase? Then again, there are those who want that and they are willing to pay big pucks to experience just that.

I haven't heard the Superlux HD681 so I really couldn't make a valid comparison against the HD600. But I have a pair of ATH-M50s gathering dust in a cabinet somewhere in my room; its SRP is about half of the cash price of an HD600. Can I say that the HD600 is 2x better than the ATH-M50? I'd say..more than 2x better, using the same setup (DX90 + CL Duet @ high gain).

Now, if we're talking about the HD600 against the summit-fi HPs, that's a different story. :3

tl;dr ikaw makakapagsabi if it's worth it or not. What may be "valuable" to me might not be valuable to you and vice versa. Sana nakatulong. :3
  • @d3rrick

Haha :3 Yung isang big boss sa office namin listens to jazz/orchestra music through his mini-speaker system inside his room. There are times when we hear what he listens to, since medyo malakas siya magpatugtog. Hindi ko siya chums (since he's from another department) but if I have time ayain ko siya makinig sa HP setup ko.

Just last Friday, may isa akong work colleague from another department na lumapit sa area ko. Nakita niya yung HD600 and portable stack ko and he asked kung ano yung nasa desk ko. Sabi ko, it's a portable amplifier connected to a digital audio player (na parang iPod); I have to use the amp since lalabas yung tunay na tunog ng headphone with it. I then asked him to try the HPs; nung una medyo mahina lang yung sound (nasa 9 o'clock yung potentiometer) pero i encouraged him to increase the volume level. Nung nilakasan ko na (we settled at 11 o'clock), napacomment siya na, "maganda ang tunog". :3 Nung sinabi ko na sa kanya how much it cost me, he didn't bat an eyelash. Haha :3
  • @majingotan
    Lurker lang ako sa thread dito pero, talaga bang worth it ang tunog ng ~15K na headphone kagaya ng Sennheiser HD600 against sa ~2K (Superlux HD681)? Ganda na kasi ng tunog nito na hindi ko alam kung 8x more ba ang sound improvement niyan.

Truthfully its hard to say na it sounds 8x better, kasi hindi natin pwede i-quantify yung sound quality. It's like saying Miss Universe contestant A is 8x more beautiful than Miss Universe contestant B. Very subjective kasi ang sound quality and it also depends on the preference of the listener. So what sounds good to one listener might sound bad to another listener. Also mahirap din i-judge how good a headphone sounds unless dumaan ka muna sa increasing levels of headphone sound quality.

For example:

From CDR King Headphones (Php 500) >> upgrade to >> Superlux HD681 >> upgrade to >> Audio Technica ATH-M50X >> upgrade to Sennheiser HD600
    Dahil dumaan ka sa increasing levels of sound quality, you will have a better appreciation on how better the HD600 sounds from the other headphones. Also in your mind mas madali mo i-quantify yung perceived value ng headphone. You will get a better idea if HD600 is worth spending Php 15K over the Audio Technica ATH-M50X na worth Php 7K... or the Superlux HD681 worth 3K... and so on.

Now kung ang upgrade path is like this:

CDR King Headphones (Php 500) >> upgrade to >> Sennheiser HD600
    The jump in sound quality is too big and you will have no idea if you are over spending too much on your headphone or not. Mahirap i-justify if the HD600 is worth 30x over the CDR King headphones kasi you have no quantifiable idea in your mind what a headphone that costs 5x or 10x sounds like. Parang nasanay ka sa grape juice tapos biglang pina-tikim ka ng wine na worth 1000 USD. Alam mo na mas-masarap siya over grape juice pero hindi mo masabi sa sarili mo na kung worth 1000 USD nga siya sa panlasa mo hehe.

Suggestion ko lang, ang best way to judge is listen to the HD600 then ask yourself... is it worth paying the price over the Superlux HD681? :-)

BTW when it comes to "value for money" sa audiophile quality headphones, yung Sennhesier HD600 is one of the best sounding headphones for the price. So if you decide to get the HD600 hindi ka naman lugi kasi to get significantly better sound over the HD600 you have to spend at least 3x more :-)

-- edited by sleepygeepy on Nov 29 2015, 02:58 PM
  • @ jai LOL kung wala akong alam sa audio gear baka tumaas din kilay ko heheh. Dito nga sa office eh bukang bibig nila ay Bose at Beats heheh. Merong Bose store dito, sa Best Buy naman puro Beats at Sony binebenta, mostly mga mainstream models for the masses so iyun lang din alam kadalasan ng mga tao. Nung sinabi ko yung mga brand like Akg, ATH, Grado, Hifiman, etc. lahat sila na-alienate hahah.

-- edited by d3rrlck on Nov 29 2015, 03:08 PM
  • BTW when it comes to "value for money" sa audiophile quality headphones, yung Sennhesier HD600 is one of the best sounding headphones for the price. So if you decide to get the HD600 hindi ka naman lugi kasi to get significantly better sound over the HD600 you have to spend at least 3x more :-)

Dagdag ko lang, i-audition mo din yung mga HPs on the same price range like:
    - HE400S
    - X2
    - ATH-MSR7
    - ATH-M50x
    - Senn HD598

They're relatively easy to drive, so no need to spend on amp.
  • Guys, so I'm here finally. Now I need a phone, and we all know about the v10,my question is my Naka gamit na ba sakin ng v10 dito as dap? I know my review online but I also want your opinion Sana. I think the 32 bit dac only works on a certain app?
  • If you can save a couple thousand petot more, I'd highly recommend the Chord Mojo. Sakto, sale din ngayon sa itlugan ang Cypher Labs Theorem 720 DAC/amp (cash price is Php25k). Kung may makikita kang CLAS+CL Duet/ALO Audio RXMk3B+ for ~Php30k-Php35k second hand, that would also be an end-game portable stack.

IMHO, okay ang DZeroMk2 if you're just starting out. Once you're looking at the heavyweights, though, it is grossly underpowered.

Medyo malakas hype ng Chord Mojo ngaun, pero based sa iba kong nabasa di daw kalakasan ung amp portion? Ok ung Theorem, pero mukhang mas ok ung RX, parang equivalent na daw ng mid-fi desktop amp. Ang tanong eh kung may magbebenta pa. Might post buying ad next week.

Meron pa bang ibang portable stand-alone amp na still under production na nasa same level ng amping power nung RX? Medyo risky din kasi buying used, baka laspag na ung battery.

At kung sa desktop amp, anong ka-level ng performance nung RX kahit walang balanced output? (desktop -> mas mura -> baka pwedeng iwan sa office). Baka konting dagdag lang makapag-singit pa ako ng DX80 o DX90 hehe.

(Edit: Sheyt may selling ng RSA SR71-B @ 12k, kaso wala ako sa Manila ngaun. 3rd week December pa uwi ko)

-- edited by boybandista on Nov 29 2015, 07:16 PM
  • Post deleted #11546226
  • Audition the Schiit Asgard. It's my strongest amp. Solid talaga tumunog. It is able to bring out the details my AK100 and ODAC throw at it.
  • <click here for link>

Orig kaya to? May nakatry na ba bumili dito?
  • @d3rrick

What can you say about reports of the Chord Mojo's amp section being underpowered?

I was able to try the Chord Mojo for a short time only but I thought it had more than enough power for the HD600/HD650. The Audio Zenith PMX2 sounded great with them, as well as the MrSpeakers Ether. Not once did I feel the Chord Mojo being underpowered. :3

@boybandista

Re: the ALO Audio RX (just to be clear, we're talking about the EXMk3B+, 'ayt?), it's a powerful portable amp, certainly among the TOTL portable amps out there. I think ka-level niya ang CL Duet (which is what I am using right now). I don't think you can find a similar portable amp whose SRP is <Php20k (luckily I got mine second hand so the price I paid is much lower than that :3). Yes, the iBasso D14/JDS Labs C5D sound good but they wouldn't touch the RXMk3B+/Duet.

(That said, I met a guy at itlugan a couple of months back carrying a nondescript amp from China. He claims his amp can match the RXMk3B+/Duet but is priced at Php11k-Php12k. He got it daw brand new from Sir Ren, the cable guy.)

We've been hearing good feedback about the Magni/Modi combo (ask @vladz17 about it). Unfortunately, there's no official local distro for Schiit products just yet.
  • may question lang po ako. i just bought fiio x3ii and ath-ckm300is and im planning to upgrade to ath im50 or ath im70 , im planning to buy fiio e11k din. do i need to use an amp ?
  • ^The ATH-IM70 won't benefit that much from an amplifier. The X3ii could drive it well.

(Before I went crazy with all these DAP/amp/headphone purchases, I was using my ATH-IM70 with my LG G3. I had a great time with them while the "union" lasted. Haha :3)

P.S. Save the money that should've gone to an E11k for future headphone/earphone purchases. I understand that there's the itch to get an amp (been there, done that a couple of times haha :3) but I can't emphasize enough the virtue of patience and timing. Too many times I've rued opportunities lost for having no funds in the war chest, having gone for broke for the latest audio earcandy then to regret later for doing so in the first place (yes, I admit, the ATH-IM70 was an impulse buy even if I already owned the UM3x back then; I regret buying them in the first place, in hindsight).
  • What can you say about reports of the Chord Mojo's amp section being underpowered?

I was able to try the Chord Mojo for a short time only but I thought it had more than enough power for the HD600/HD650. The Audio Zenith PMX2 sounded great with them, as well as the MrSpeakers Ether. Not once did I feel the Chord Mojo being underpowered. :3

I'm on 30-40% volume with my X2 and HE-400S on most genre. For orchestral like recording (e.g. Josh Groban You Raise me Up), I'd like to be the person in the front row so I normally set it to 50%.

Some folks are using mojo with HE-560 and have reported volume slightly above 50% (blue balls).

LCD-2 might be pushing it a bit to its limit.

Rob Watts said @ 300ohms, the mojo can output 5.3vrms into the headphone which is equivalent to 122db.
  • Salamat sir sleepygeeky

Subjective talaga ang perceived sound improvement.
  • @majingotan
    Subjective talaga ang perceived sound improvement.

Yes sir absolutely true, pero hindi naman kita dini-discourage to buy better headphones. Nag start din ako sir sa entry level headphones (Sennheiser PX100) at years din ang inabot ko bago ako mag-upgrade to more expensive headphones :-)

If you are looking for headphones that sound better than Superlux HD681 suggestion ko try a gradual approach muna. Listen to headphones na increasing in price then decide on which headphone to settle with. I admit mahal narin ang price ng Sennheiser HD600 at kailangan din niya ng headphone amplifier to sound its best, so hindi siya exactly budget friendly.

Here are some headphone suggestions at increasing price points in case you are interested:

(Prices taken from the headphone shop in Ortigas. Actual prices may be lower depending on discount given)

Php 3465 - Audio-Technica ATH-M30x
    Php 9890 - Audio-Technica ATH-M50x or Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Plus
    Php 10995 - Sennheiser Momentum
    Php 12590 - Sennheiser HD 598
    Php 13990 - HiFiMAN HE400S
    Php 15290 - Beyerdynamic DT 990 (32 ohm) or Beyerdynamic DT 880 (32 ohm)
    Php 21590 - Sennheiser HD 600

Kung ako mag suggest, yung Audio-Technica ATH-M50x and Sennheiser Momentum are good starting points. Pero kung kaya mo pa stretch ang budget, go with HiFiMAN HE400S dahil malaki ang "jump" in sound quality and they are very easy to drive from your smartphone / laptop / PC.
  • ^ Wow ang mahal sobra ng hd598 at 600 dyan. Laki ng price difference compared dito
  • ^ Sobrang mahal nga. Haha! I got my HD598 last year from Amazon's Black Friday sale, barely touching the 5k pesos converted price, shipping and tax included. Considering the fact that the HD598SE went on sale for $95 a few days ago is a friggin' steal compared to those prices. LOL

-- edited by riddler on Nov 30 2015, 03:38 AM
  • Eh hehe, let's not compare yung black Friday price Sa regular price :-)
    If based Sa old price ng 598 Sakto lang. I got mine cheaper din Pero from Amazon, even with the shipping it was a good 3k cheaper. Sa atin kasi wala naman halos galawan ng Price.

-- edited by Cons29 on Nov 30 2015, 04:41 AM
  • ^ Mahal pa din, take the HD598 for example. Ang regular price nyan sa amazon is $170, that's roughly 7.5k pesos, a 5k difference from the local price hahah

HE-400S lang ang totoo in relation to international pricing.

-- edited by d3rrlck on Nov 30 2015, 04:48 AM
  • ^ true... kaya mas sensible bimili ng 400S kesa sa 598 dito or HD600... kasi masyado malayo pricing

HD600 average price in the states is $320 which is roughly PHP 15,000, dapat halos magkapantay lang sila price ng 400S :(